• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: No Plans to Integrate DLC Episodes into the Main Game

Koozek

http://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-no-plans-dlc-main-game/

When Square Enix released Final Fantasy XV‘s bro-specicfic story DLCs Episode Gladiolus and Episode Prompto, many were surprised to see that they were fairly stand-alone experiences, that couldn’t be played as a chapter integrated in the game’s main story.

DualShockers had a chat with Game Director Hajime Tabata, and we asked him whether there is a possibility for those stories to be ever integrated within the main storyline as their own chapter, but we hear that there is no such plan at the moment. According to Tabata-san, the game released last year is what is considered “the main story,” while the character DLCs are a supplementary experience.

He also talked about this at the fan event at gamescom last week:

Fj0823

I thought they would add a leader switch option with each character playing like their DLC.

Would be awesome...

Foffy

Banned
I assume they didn't consider this approach because this because Comrades has a story like these episodes, but is an online mode.

If you're going to link it, in their minds it might be about linking the whole package.

"To be perfectly honest, we really didn't think about that yet"...?!?!

HOW

You'd be surprised how often devs (japanese devs usually) give this response to obvious sounding things.

I remember when someone asked Aunoma how they'd work multiple items used in dungeons into Zelda Wii U (now botw) like the other 3D zeldas, opposed to using just one new item per dungeon like ALBW. He basically said they never thought of usingle multiple tools to solve puzzles.

Whompa02

But wouldn't that help the story structure?

Why is Tabata against telling a cohesive story?

I loved FFXV but I can't ignore the story structure being a bit disjointed

FinalAres

I think we have to accept that the game released last year IS the game. Anything they say theyll add is going to be as supplementary content. Even the Ravus content was not blended into the main game.

I am disappointed by this. But I can accept it.

OrionX

I figured that would be the case, but yeah... it's disappointing. I've been waiting to play the episodes when I do a replay because I would much rather play them as I go through the story to make the experience as cohesive as possible. Having to exit the game when a character leaves the party instead of giving an in-game option to play through their episode is annoying.

Keinning

I'm usually positive to FFXV news but this is disappointing
Game would really benefit from some of the gaemplay additions in the DLCs, specially comrades

A shame. I imagine it kills immersion to quit back to a menu to access them.

You have a prompt to play them when you reach their point during normal gameplay, no need to jump back to the main menu

Foffy

Banned
I figured that would be the case, but yeah... it's disappointing. I've been waiting to play the episodes when I do a replay because I would much rather play them as I go through the story to make the experience as cohesive as possible. Having to exit the game when a character leaves the party instead of giving an in-game option to play through their episode is annoying.

Someone should make a guide as to when to abandon the main game for these DLCs. Play it like RE6 in a chronological order. ;)

Squire

Banned
Don't get me wrong I like the game it's just such a clusterfuck and they're just winging it.

They just never had any intention to "fix it" like people hoped for. And of curse they didn't; the issues the game has are structural and fundamental in a way that you can't simply patch the game to throw them in and make it better. They're not adding abilities to Overwatch characters here.

I dont know what some of you mean when you say incorporate it into the main game?

If you mean an in game prompt asking if you want to play Episode Gladilous when it becomes available so you dont have to quit to the menu, then sure.

hank_tree

I dont know what some of you mean when you say incorporate it into the main game?

If you mean an in game prompt asking if you want to play Episode Gladilous when it becomes available so you dont have to quit to the menu, then sure.

I think even that would be a bit shit in a GOTY version or whatever. If you are coming to it fresh you mightn't realize that pressing yes is going to load you up into a separate 2 hour campaign intended to be played after you've finished the campaign.

Arkeband

Banned
The problem with incorporating them right now, as far as I'm aware, is that there are some parts of them that assume you've already beaten the game.

For example, in Prompto's, during the credits it shows scenes that occur in the main game in a later chapter to "bridge" the main game and the DLC. If it forced you into Prompto's DLC and they didn't remove that, you'd be seeing late Chapter 13? clips and then, assumedly, the game would have to put you back at Chapter 12 or whatever where it left off.

The solution here would be to simply remove the credits (or the story scenes that play during them) but that's technically more work than simply loading in the DLC wholesale as it's own chapter or sub-chapter.

This doesn't absolve the "oh good idea, I've never heard of this before" answer in the OP, though. It reminds me of a lot of post-ARR interviews with Yoshi-P where well known features in other MMO's are brought up as improvements to FFXIV and he seems almost startled and amazed that the interviewers come up with such novel ideas.

True Fire

Jesus. He hasn't even considered it yet? I assumed it was his plan all along.

Episode Prompto needs to be a part of the main game for the sake of pacing and character development. Episode Gladiolus can easily be a part of Chapter 7. If the Episode Ignis spoilers are true, then it definitely needs to be a part of Chapter 10.

At least modders will be able to do this. And remove the Ifrit introduction and replace it with the introduction from Kingsglaive.

Foffy

Banned
Jesus. He hasn't even considered it yet? I assumed it was his plan all along.

Episode Prompto needs to be a part of the main game for the sake of pacing and character development. Episode Gladiolus can easily be a part of Chapter 7. If the Episode Ignis spoilers are true, then it definitely needs to be a part of Chapter 10.

At least modders will be able to do this. And remove the Ifrit introduction and replace it with the introduction from Kingsglaive.

God that all sounds better.

Totally expect the PC version to do this now, especially as it will have Workshop support.

Labadal

I'd consider buying something with Ardyn if it was standalone. I have no interest in anything else in FFXV.

I've played every other offline FF to date and I own FFXV but I'm still not sure if it's the right time to start playing it. I'm gonna hold off another year and beat Nier, Kiwami and WoFF first...

Minamu

Hey Tabata, if you read this, and want me to buy your season pass, or any of your games again, this shit needs to be fixed. Period.

This is so dumb, the chapter hooks are already there, as mentioned above.

edgefusion

Good. They're absolute garbage and are better off ignored entirely. Some of the worst gameplay the series has ever seen.

Wouldn't this result in a pacing/structure problem?

Pretty sure new players wouldn't appreciate being completely taken away from the main game to a completely new character's mini episode.

Many were pretty pissed off being forced to play those Rachel sections in Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Same thing with Deus Ex and The Missing Link DLC when the director's cut released. It's usually never good to just shove in additional content into the main story.

Vashetti

Banned
Why are people going crazy over this?

Actually play the DLC and you'll realise it would murder the pacing if incorporated into the main game. Episode Prompto in particular dumps you into a mini-open world that can take hours if you so choose.

It's absolutely the right decision having it as a selection in the main menu.

Pretty sure new players wouldn't appreciate being completely taken away from the main game to a completely new character's mini episode.

Many were pretty pissed off being forced to play those Rachel sections in Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Same thing with Deus Ex and The Missing Link DLC when the director's cut released. It's usually never good to just shove in additional content into the main story.

This.

jackdoe

There are huge issues with the current story that affects the pacing and story structure and results in an absolute narrative shitshow. However, the DLC doesn't really help fix that shitshow and would probably make it an even larger shitshow (like a shithurricane).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Actually play the DLC and you'll realise it would murder the pacing if incorporated into the main game..

people are more annoyed that the main game's structural flaws are so pervasive, even incorperating the content that would flesh out the story(and some would argue should have been in the main story to actually make it more complete to begin with) would be impossible with how its set up.

OrionX

Actually play the DLC and you'll realise it would murder the pacing if incorporated into the main game. Episode Prompto in particular dumps you into a mini-open world that can take hours if you so choose.

My main problem with the later chapters is that the story races to the finish line, so this sounds like it would be an improvement on the pacing to me. But obviously everyone has their own preferences when it comes to pacing.

Enthus

It's absolutely the right decision having it as a selection in the main menu.

This.

Or it could be an option when you start the game to have them integrated. Recommend it for experienced players only, hell, call it NG+ or something.

I'd very much appreciate the option being available, along with an actual incorporation of CH13v2.

Ludens

Banned
Well, honestly those dlc wouldn't even fit so well, leaving holes behind them. Like:

- how Gladio ended up in the central? It's not explained in the dlc at all
- when Prompto felt off the train...well, where did he find the new suit? I mean, he was on the train, but when the dlc starts he wears a new outfit, did he wander to a shop to buy it,
than ventured forth in the sky? In the end of the dlc, why did he get prisoned? It's not explained

SE is the only software house capable of creating dlcs to fill some gaps and leaving at the same time more holes behind than before.

True Fire

Final Fantasy VI already did it

Well, honestly those dlc wouldn't even fit so well, leaving holes behind them. Like:

- how Gladio ended up in the central? It's not explained in the dlc at all
- when Prompto felt off the train...well, where did he find the new suit? I mean, he was on the train, but when the dlc starts he wears a new outfit, did he wander to a shop to buy it,
than ventured forth in the sky? In the end of the dlc, why did he get prisoned? It's not explained

SE is the only software house capable of creating dlcs to fill some gaps and leaving at the same time more holes behind than before.

Those aren't plot holes.

Gladio can travel. Prompto could've easily stolen a coat from a civilian.

The real plot hole is Prompto finding out he's from Niflheim, which is filled by the Episode Prompto DLC ... but should be a part of the main game.

Koozek

Final Fantasy VI already did it

Those aren't plot holes.

Gladio can travel. Prompto could've easily stolen a coat from a civilian.

The real plot hole is Prompto finding out he's from Niflheim
, which is filled by the Episode Prompto DLC ... but should be a part of the main game.
You should spoiler-tag that.

lol I almost wrote these exact two examples

Top Bottom