• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

You have to walk very close to one of them to see the press X notice pop up.
Thanks. It showed up when I went in again.

That fight with three Red Giants and two Nagas is nonsense. You can't see--let alone dodge--shit, and you can't even move around when all the giants do their stupid gravity move at the same time. I had to fight that twice, so I assume I went the wrong way.

Yeah, this dungeon is as stupid as everyone says.

sackninja

We can make Noctis sprint, it's just a lot slower than Xenoblade X's. Plus you have a stamina meter, so it's not endless, and in Xenoblade you can actually do autorun to the next objective which is extremely handy.

If you release the sprint button just before stamina runs out it will fully refill the bar.

RiggyRob

It's fairly unobtrusive and small but it is in the centre of the screen just above Noctis' head.

That should be alright then, I'll test it out next chance I get - unfortunately we sit quite far back from the TV, so text is a little hard to read, but a bar should be clearer to see.

Wow. Gotta say that the hate for this game is completely unwarranted. Loved it. Chapter 13 was easy and the story was awesome. Characters were great as well. Absolutely AWESOME. 3rd on my GOTY list. Never has an RPG gripped me this much.

So I'm playing the post-game "sealed" dungeons. So far I have done the first two (in the order the game suggests them). And I have to say, these are a joke. I have not seen "level design" this bad since Bloodborne's random gerenated chalice dungeons.

Do these get any better? I understand that it's extra content. I have enjoyed the game so far (for 70 hours or so). But at this point, I think I'm about to just quit.

Nope, the postgame dungeons are a disappointment after how great the maingame dungeons are. They're just gauntlets for fighting monsters.

My first ever plat, aww yeahhh.
jPGjTex.jpg

Chapter 10
and now I'm off to a dungeon and I have no idea why? It's ok guys just make it up as you go a long, it's not like I was hoping for an engaging story.

Toth

Chapter 10
and now I'm off to a dungeon and I have no idea why? It's ok guys just make it up as you go a long, it's not like I was hoping for an engaging story.

It's explicitly stated that
Cor told them that a royal arm was hidden within the mines.

Do you guys get random danger signals when driving through tunnels, just to have nothing show up? Is that supposed to be something? Sometimes the danger is so close that the bros exit the car, but then there's nothing.

What a ridiculous fucking game. Rundown of today's play session from Chapter 9 on:

- Go to deliberate with the leader of Altissia. She asks me to explain why I want to resurrect
Leviathan
or whatever. Lady, I don't fucking know. This game doesn't tell me shit. I choose all the glaringly obvious diplomatic dialogue options and the game tells me I've secured her trust. I presume I will never see her again for the rest of the game.

- Fight
Leviathan. Literally have to check the internet to see if I'm doing the right thing, because shit is so poorly designed and gives so little feedback I honestly thought the game might have been bugged. I warp strike at him, watch as I do like 12 damage or something and his healthbar doesn't budge, internet tells me that, no, that's what you're supposed to do. Just keep at it. What fun. Second half of the fight is like someone tried to be Platinum Games without even 1/100th of the talent. Just utter trash.

- At least I finally get to meet Luna, at least, right? Been waiting this whole game for her to explain just what exactly I'm supposed to be doing.
Oh she gives a friendship speech and dies. Fuck me.

- Ignis's
eyes are all fucked up. How? Don't know, happened off screen. Oh by the way there's a Royal Tomb nearby. How do we know? Someone told us off-screen. Between all the happy pictures Prompto takes off-screen and all the storytelling that happens off-screen, it feels like there's a whole world of stuff here that only happens when I'm not around.

- Fight
Malboro, it keeps regenerating, kills all my NPCs instantly over and over. Tooltip tells me to leave the combat area, so I do, and the fight resets. Off to Google again. Turns out you're not supposed to leave the combat area like IT FUCKING SAYS TO DO, but rather walk over to a red arrow that has suddenly appeared, the likes of which have never been seen in the game so far and is not marked on the map. Because Ignis, who IS FUCKING BLIND, remember, has thought of a plan, that involves him throwing some shit at a monster HE CAN'T SEE.

I'm at the point now where I'm just going to stop if the game throws any more trash my way. Basically the only thing keeping me going at this point is that I've never finished a Final Fantasy game before and it'd be nice to tick one off, but life's too short for this rubbish.

Deku Tree

I'm having a hard time leveling up my last few tech skills. At lvl 99 with the best end game weapons from the sealed dungeons everything in the game dies way too quickly to even build on bar of my tech bar. Even high level enemies in sealed dungeons.

Just ran into the worst possible glitch you can think of. At least 2 hours wasted.

Go into costlemark tower for the first time.
Do this long ass dungeon till the second fight with 3 red giants and a Nagarani (so basically the very end).
Kill the giants.
NOW THE DAMN NAGARANI GETS STUCK UNDER THE FLOOR DOING THE TENTACLE ATTACK!

The thing just stays there forever doing that attack. Nothing I can do to pull her out. Cant quit the dungeon. Ramuh wont come for some reason. Lost all progress till before I started the dungeon.
Really pissed right now.

spidye

What a ridiculous fucking game. Rundown of today's play session from Chapter 9 on:

- Go to deliberate with the leader of Altissia. She asks me to explain why I want to resurrect
Leviathan
or whatever. Lady, I don't fucking know. This game doesn't tell me shit. I choose all the glaringly obvious diplomatic dialogue options and the game tells me I've secured her trust. I presume I will never see her again for the rest of the game.

- Fight
Leviathan. Literally have to check the internet to see if I'm doing the right thing, because shit is so poorly designed and gives so little feedback I honestly thought the game might have been bugged. I warp strike at him, watch as I do like 12 damage or something and his healthbar doesn't budge, internet tells me that, no, that's what you're supposed to do. Just keep at it. What fun. Second half of the fight is like someone tried to be Platinum Games without even 1/100th of the talent. Just utter trash.

- At least I finally get to meet Luna, at least, right? Been waiting this whole game for her to explain just what exactly I'm supposed to be doing.
Oh she gives a friendship speech and dies. Fuck me.

- Ignis's
eyes are all fucked up. How? Don't know, happened off screen. Oh by the way there's a Royal Tomb nearby. How do we know? Someone told us off-screen. Between all the happy pictures Prompto takes off-screen and all the storytelling that happens off-screen, it feels like there's a whole world of stuff here that only happens when I'm not around.

- Fight
Malboro, it keeps regenerating, kills all my NPCs instantly over and over. Tooltip tells me to leave the combat area, so I do, and the fight resets. Off to Google again. Turns out you're not supposed to leave the combat area like IT FUCKING SAYS TO DO, but rather walk over to a red arrow that has suddenly appeared, the likes of which have never been seen in the game so far and is not marked on the map. Because Ignis, who IS FUCKING BLIND, remember, has thought of a plan, that involves him throwing some shit at a monster HE CAN'T SEE.

I'm at the point now where I'm just going to stop if the game throws any more trash my way. Basically the only thing keeping me going at this point is that I've never finished a Final Fantasy game before and it'd be nice to tick one off, but life's too short for this rubbish.
Oh, you haven't seen chapter 13 and 14 yet. At first it was frustating to witness such a mess of a story. If you embrace it it just gets funnier with every new story info thrown at your face.

Dude, I am having your EXACT reactions. I just reached Chapter 13 last night and had to put it down for a bit.

I love the game a lot for what it does right, but the story is a right mess. An absolute right mess. Also, some Chapter 12 spoilers:
What an disappointment that the only thing you get to explore of Tennebrae is THEIR TRAIN STATION. Are you kidding me?

Tip for chapter 13 if you haven't done it yet:
When you get to the part where you're supposed to use stealth, just get spotted by a soldier, run to the end of the hallway, and holy dodge to kill them.

I like most of chapter 13, but the first part is extremely tedious.

I don't know what to tell you. This was all explained in Chapter 2.

Yes I remember chapter 2 and new weapons are always great I'm just surprised thet finding them is such a high priority taking into account the most recent chapters, I mean half the dungeons are optional.

StoneFox

I am playing on a PS4 Pro. It's the only game in my library that is constantly making the console run hot.

This is normal I'm assuming? Too many polygons and an overwhelming lighting system? :p

I don't expect a patch to fix this, is just weird to go from whisper quiet to full loudness when looking the FFXV disk in. Heh. I'm loving the game though, I went in with zero expectations so the fact that I've put 20 hours in it so far is telling. :)

I am playing on a PS4 Pro. It's the only game in my library that is constantly making the console run hot.

This is normal I'm assuming? Too many polygons and an overwhelming lighting system? :p

I don't expect a patch to fix this, is just weird to go from whisper quiet to full loudness when looking the FFXV disk in. Heh. I'm loving the game though, I went in with zero expectations so the fact that I've put 20 hours in it so far is telling. :)
I'm also playing on Pro, and I've noticed that after suspending and resuming it several times, I'll eventually start to see graphical corruption (like artefacts appearing when using techs, for example). Closing and restarting the application usually resolves it.

RiggyRob

We took down the Mutant Dualhorn and saw Lunafreya in a flashback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o3U5KEXS6gzeRXtJ3S7aDwN&v=kliU43zEsUA

Can't wait to fight the massive flying creature that flew over our heads later on. Also loved the little exchange between Noctis and Gladiolus:

Noctis: "It's so hot."
Gladiolus: "Then lose the jacket."

It was a nice touch I thought, another one of the small details that they didn't have to put in, but it was a little jarring to go from that to hearing the stock monster noise for the Mutant Dualhorn.

Ambitious

Is anyone aware of a sidequest guide that uses the same order as the sidequest list in the game? This would make it way easier to figure out which ones I'm still missing.

That line changes, depending on what outfit you wear, by the way. For me, since I'm going jacket-less, it went more like this:

N: It's so hot.
G: Then take your shirt off.
N: Like you? Pass.
G: There's nothing to show off anyway.
N: I have muscles! You...just can't see them.

Tip for chapter 13 if you haven't done it yet:
When you get to the part where you're supposed to use stealth, just get spotted by a soldier, run to the end of the hallway, and holy dodge to kill them.

I like most of chapter 13, but the first part is extremely tedious.

Yep. Pretty dang easy. Ch.13 was really good.

GeeTeeCee

That line changes, depending on what outfit you wear, by the way. For me, since I'm going jacket-less, it went more like this:

N: It's so hot.
G: Then take your shirt off.
N: Like you? Pass.
G: There's nothing to show off anyway.
N: I have muscles! You...just can't see them.

I get that while wearing the jacket. Gladio really wants Noctis to lose some items of clothing, is what I'm taking away from the situation.

RiggyRob

I get that while wearing the jacket. Gladio really wants Noctis to lose some items of clothing, is what I'm taking away from the situation.

If there's variations on the lines, then that's cool, but repeating them is not as great. It depends on how much time passes between them being said, and what triggers them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The dubtitles at times take me out of the game lol

I know enough Japanese to know when the subtitles are much different than the spoken Japanese.

There's nothing more obvious though when you got off your chocobo. Apparently in the English version Prompto says "Thanks buddy", but in the Japanese version Prompto says "Arigato Chocoboooo" in the most affectionate sounding way.

JayEH

Believe me, it won't feel as fresh the 500th time you've heard it. This game has a big issue with repeating banter.

I think overall the game has a lot of good unique banter throughout more so than I've ever seen in other games frankly (just little things like having a short conversation before/after completing a quest is nice) so I'm ok with the repeated stuff. There's only so much they can record.

I know enough Japanese to know when the subtitles are much different than the spoken Japanese.

There's nothing more obvious though when you got off your chocobo. Apparently in the English version Prompto says "Thanks buddy", but in the Japanese version Prompto says "Arigato Chocoboooo" in the most affectionate sounding way.

Yeah it's a bit clunky in spots.

Does the Black Hood mesh properly with the Holy dodge move? Feels like you could probably autokill a bunch of enemies in the game that way without touching your controller, especially with Applied Sorcery equipped to refill your MP as needed. Cheap and boring but might work, right?

Zoe

I completed the Deadeye quest just so I didn't have to hear "mmmMMMMMmmm chocobo noooriTAI naaaaaAAAAAAHHHHH" over and over.

Believe me, it won't feel as fresh the 500th time you've heard it. This game has a big issue with repeating banter.

*Prompto hums the fanfare*
Gladio: "Sounds like you're having fun."

This is the only one that actually got to me. I noticed others repeating, but this was the one were I was like "Come on, again!?" I loved all of the little interactions though, wouldn't trade them for anything.

*Prompto hums the fanfare*
Gladio: "Sounds like you're having fun."

This is the only one that actually got to me. I noticed others repeating, but this was the one were I was like "Come on, again!?" I loved all of the little interactions though, wouldn't trade them for anything.
Yeah, but think back to the older games, where that would play after every fight (minus the ones you lose).

Deku Tree

Having to drive around the map for 15 minutes so that I can enter a dungeon at night is stupid. They should let me just push the time forward.

So at the start of chapter 3 and I tried this level 12 hunt to kill some Garula, thought it'd be easy as I'm level 14.

They destroyed me. Each hit from them would do 200+ damage to my 600 or so HP, and our attacks were taking forever to get anywhere.

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong though.

Top Bottom