• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

shiba5

Daylight is tied directly to the story. Going "back in time" basically puts the world at the end of Chapter 8. Daylight usually lasts 5 hours at that point in the story. I don't think there's a way of getting longer days after that point.

Yuck, I was afraid of that. I wish I could go back further.

I'm not saying everything needs a reward but do you get nothing for completing the menace under blah blah quests? I did them all and got a medal. I mean, yeah I can use that for flare but...?

Great OST with terrible use of it ingame.

True. I also wish that the car had more original/better music. I love the old-school FF music, but it often felt out of place. The cruisin mix was just okay. I want some overworld quality music to drive to. Especially since so much time is spent in the car.

True. I also wish that the car had more original/better music. I love the old-school FF music, but it often felt out of place. The cruisin mix was just okay. I want some overworld quality music to drive to. Especially since so much time is spent in the car.

More like so much time is spent on the loading screen for me lol. Wish it had music tho

Ristlager

Can someone give me a hint on gaining entrance to Pitioss? Just put me on the right track.

If you have the flying car, look at the map for a road unconnected to the rest of the roads. And save before you attempt to reach it...

If you have done that, it needs to be dark to enter the dungeon.

yunbuns

No need to put that in quotes. ;) It is repetitive and generic. It's the stereotypical music that plays in Paris, Venice and Rome in every cheesy film ever. Are you from Europe? For most Europeans it's torture. XD

I agree with Ishida. It's very charming and romantic to me. I'm a sap so maybe that's why I like it.

SkylineRKR

Altissia was cliche city in general. Its another Venice in a game. I can see why people like it a lot, but its meditteranean style is overdone.

In real life though, I think the Istrian coast is the prettiest part of Europe. Which is sort of like it. I visited Porec this summer.

Moneal

What's the best way to power level? I saved all these debased coins because I heard they were useful, but I'm not sure what to do with them.
I finished the game at lvl 52. Great ending even though the story was fragmented.
Use the coins to enhance your spells. The spells enhanced with coins give exp when cast. Rare coins, debased coins, debased silverpieces, and debased banknotes all do that. Real easy to get a million or more exp.

Tyaren

Daylight is tied directly to the story. Going "back in time" basically puts the world at the end of Chapter 8. Daylight usually lasts 5 hours at that point in the story. I don't think there's a way of getting longer days after that point.

That's weird, I could have sworn the days were longer again in Lucis after I beat the story...

Also, really just five hours daylight?
If the sun rises as 5am/6am and just 5 hours pass it would be getting dark at 10am/11am. Maybe you encountered some kind of bug? It gets dark at 5pm/6pm late in my game.

Seik

Banned
Use the coins to enhance your spells. The spells enhanced with coins give exp when cast. Rare coins, debased coins, debased silverpieces, and debased banknotes all do that. Real easy to get a million or more exp.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! o_O

Shit, I didn't know that.

I hated Alissia. I was really looking forward to playing it but being forced to take the gondola everywhere really killed it for me.
Same for me. I would have preferred if it was all connected by bridges instead. Would have made things a lot better.

I was also hoping it would have a traditional battle arena where you and the team fight monsters instead of betting on monsters.

Not the same series, but that was one of my favorite things about Star Ocean 3.

OrionX

Luna is a strong female character

As many criticisms as I have about the way her story was handled, I actually do think she's "strong" in the sense that she knows what she has to do and doesn't waver. Well, except for those couple of scenes with Ravus where she got emotional and showed signs of fear. The problem for me is just that her lack of screen time makes her feel very one-dimensional.

Oh, I forgot... supposedly she likes stickers. Nvm that's plenty of deep character development right there. XD

Yeah they push you on with the story immediately. You don't have to ofcourse, but most players will likely go to the bar right away.

I hated Alissia. I was really looking forward to playing it but being forced to take the gondola everywhere really killed it for me.
I faffed around before triggering the mission. You can cover a reasonable amount of ground by foot - but the navigation is confusing and it is much simpler to use the gondolas yeh. However, even if you do - there just isn't much of anything there to do besides a few fishing spots.
Luna is a strong female character
��

I was also hoping it would have a traditional battle arena where you and the team fight monsters instead of betting on monsters..
I'm assuming that they will repurpose that for the co-op DLC

LordKasual

Banned
As many criticisms as I have about the way her story was handled, I actually do think she's "strong" in the sense that she knows what she has to do and doesn't waver. Well, except for those couple of scenes with Ravus where she got emotional and showed signs of fear. The problem for me is just that her lack of screen time makes her feel very one-dimensional.

Oh, I forgot... supposedly she likes stickers. Nvm that's plenty of deep character development right there. XD

Luna was a pretty one-dimensional character, but that's just...her character. They could have gone in-depth about how much she went through in the story, but then people would just complain about how much abuse she was put through before she died. She lived her life as a public servant and an oracle pretty much driven entirely by faith, with the empire's foot on her head her entire life.

Luna is a "strong" character in pretty much every sense of the word, the problem is that she isn't a power fantasy character, which im sure is what everyone wanted her to be.

She would have been about as useful to the party as Iris was, but probably even less than that because Iris was actually from a bloodline of fighters.

I'm afraid new game plus will just be restarting the game with all your stuff. I wish the enemies leveled with you on new game plus. As much as I love xenoblade, I don't like the new game plus mode there.

I wouldn't expect much from New Game +...i'm mostly just looking forward to the item that restricts you from gaining EXP.

But if they pull a DMC and actually level up the enemies and rearrange the spawns to make the world more dangerous....i'm going to replay the fuck out of this game.

Golnei

You actually mean the Valse di Fantastica and not the generic accordion track that plays in the actual city though, right?
This is what really plays when exploring the city:

https://youtu.be/EnNe7Ap8Mq0?t=1m15s

It's generic and repetitive and after 10 minutes it becomes incredibly annoying.

I'm not a fan either, the actual Altissia theme is so obnoxious and tacky; especially after a few loops. Over the Waves and the gondola track were quite nice, though - the former would have been a reasonable choice to replace the regular Altissia music.

So, what's up with dying in the second phase of Ardyn's boss battle? Has anyone else experienced him holding your body in stasis, leaving you unable to use a phoenix down? Game over.

This fight ranks just below Kefka in my list of great FF final bosses. Just amazing stuff.

Luna was a pretty one-dimensional character, but that's just...her character. They could have gone in-depth about how much she went through in the story, but then people would just complain about how much abuse she was put through before she died. She lived her life as a public servant and an oracle pretty much driven entirely by faith, with the empire's foot on her head her entire life.

Luna is a "strong" character in pretty much every sense of the word, the problem is that she isn't a power fantasy character, which im sure is what everyone wanted her to be.

I agree with you, and I think they should have left her scenes in so we at get a better understanding of who she is and what she's been through and endured/overcome so that her death has more meaning for the player when you get to it.

Pygrus

So, what's up with dying in the second phase of Ardyn's boss battle? Has anyone else experienced him holding your body in stasis, leaving you unable to use a phoenix down? Game over.

This fight ranks just below Kefka in my list of great FF final bosses. Just amazing stuff.

I never got low enough for that, but this is really cool.

SkylineRKR

It was supposed to be fully explorable actually. I wonder what the hell happened.

It simply got the shaft. And Tenebrae got an even worse deal. As soon as you leave Cape Caerm, the game is essentially done. Its set piece after set piece and the story wraps up lightning fast only to slow down during the horrid Chapter 13 for the wrong reasons. You have to wonder, they designed Pitioss, the very detailed meals, the chapter 13 dungeon... perhaps those resources could be poured elsewhere.

This game needed another year. The fanbase would've been livid, but it did. We only know that now, though.

Socivol

I liked her just fine she just wasn't in the game enough. They should have extended the scene with Titan and shown us what she was actually doing while Noctis and crew were running around.

Ishida

Banned

Luna is a strong female. Unless people's definition of "strong female" is someone who is physically powerful or something.

Also, strong women also feel fear. It's how they act in face of that fear that defines their strength.

LordKasual

Banned
I agree with you, and I think they should have left her scenes in so we at get a better understanding of who she is and what she's been through and endured/overcome so that her death has more meaning for the player when you get to it.

Her death had plenty of meaning for me, but only because of how much it affected Noctis and what it meant to HIM, which is what i think Square was banking on. We don't get to know that much about Luna because Noctis doesn't even know that much about Luna. He hasn't seen her since he was a child, and the only interaction he's had with her has been through that notebook. But they were nonetheless drawn to one another.

The game hypes up the meeting with her, it hypes up how much the reunion means to Noctis, it hypes up your desire to save her, and when you get to Altissia you discuss the means of keeping her safe...

...but then when you finally catch up to her, she's murdered while Noctis is unconscious, and the only closure Noctis gets...is a Ring he's technically been running from his whole life, and a notebook with no return entry in it.

It was actually really fucking tragic. But I can see how it angered some people who wanted to be fans of Luna's.

But yeah, there's a reason why all of Noctis' flashbacks (and the interaction where she died) involved a child Noctis....and the CG only showed him as an adult when her eyes were already closed and she was dead. He really didn't know much about her either.

OrionX

Also, strong women also feel fear. It's how they act in face of that fear that defines their strength.

Oh for sure. I actually kinda liked those scenes, since it showed that she wasn't just a robot programmed to fulfill a goal, but a human being carrying a heavy burden. She had her own dream of being happy with Noctis, but she made the choice to set that aside for the greater good.

Yeah it happened to me as well and the second part of that fight is insanely easy, the worst battle in the game for me.

LotusHD

Banned
Does anyone hear this weird screechy monster sound when in the dungeons? I don't know if it's because I'm taking on the Sealed Dungeon quests, but I swear I didn't hear it before my first time being in the dungeons.

Ishida

Banned

Agreed. It's really up there for me as well. Blew my mind to fight all over Insomnia.

yunbuns

But yeah, there's a reason why all of Noctis' flashbacks (and the interaction where she died) involved a child Noctis....and the CG only showed him as an adult when her eyes were already closed and she was dead. He really didn't know much about her either.

mindblown.gif

HeelPower

Altissia was cliche city in general. Its another Venice in a game. I can see why people like it a lot, but its meditteranean style is overdone.

lol wut.

Altissia is absurdly beautiful and immaculate in terms of art direction.It is not overdone nor do you find any city like it in any other game(& no AC2 is different)

Its sorely & depressingly underutilized mechanically,however.

Ishida

Banned

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that little detail. :)

I get that fully in a "player put yourself as noctis" way. I just think that the "main heroine" of the game deserved move coverage than she got so the audience could connect with her more. I suppose that can be said for many (all?) of the characters, but its an especially sad loss in Luna's case.

HeelPower

For all the criticism Luna gets,she's actually has shown greater resolve and clearer goals than Noctis ever does during the entire game.

I feel like Noctis reluctantly goes along,where as Luna has fully internalized her goals ever since she was a child.

You could think of Luna as a shining moon in the night sky. Noctis welcomes that light but he doesn't emanate light from within.

He seemed tragically reluctant all the way through imo.

TissueBox

The game hypes up the meeting with her, it hypes up how much the reunion means to Noctis, it hypes up your desire to save her, and when you get to Altissia you discuss the means of keeping her safe...

...but then when you finally catch up to her, she's murdered while Noctis is unconscious, and the only closure Noctis gets...is a Ring he's technically been running from his whole life, and a notebook with no entry in it.

It was actually really fucking tragic. But I can see how it angered some people who wanted to be fans of Luna's.

Yep, I actually thought this could've been a great subversion as well but I just don't think they fleshed out the relationship as thoroughly enough. Like with Jared, an extra cutscene or two that actually added substance to these characters through in-game conventions would've done a simple but integral wonder iyam.

The characters' relationships in this game are uniquely multi-dimensional, despite the game not showing those dimensions so clearly sometimes (at least at first); Noctis and Luna being neither strict lovers nor purely platonic friends, Ardyn being more than self-righteous self-declared hero or thin two-faced villain, the entire brotherhood between the four mains being conveyed almost solely through inferential chemistry -- but with Luna and Noct in particular, the game just doesn't capitalize on it as effectively as it needed to in order bring the image into focus. But the image itself is so riveting.

Guess what I'm saying is I agree with the idea in theory and really like the set-up myself, just wish it was translated better in-game. I was very ambivalent about ch. 9, lol, and after watching Kingsglaive especially. But I dunno, maybe it's just a sour taste in my mouth which will fade in time. That was the primary story I was playing the entire game for after all (ie Noctis/Luna), for the most part, so a grieving Luna-fan in the process of recovery am I indeed. xP >_<

LordKasual

Banned
For all the criticism Luna gets,she's actually has shown greater resolve and clearer goals than Noctis ever does during the entire game.

I feel like Noctis reluctantly goes along,where as Luna has fully internalized her goals ever since she was a child.

You could think of Luna as a shining moon in the night sky. Noctis welcomes that light but he doesn't emanate light from within.

He seemed tragically reluctant all the way through imo.

Yeah, there was a contrast there, I think, and it might have been deliberate.

Luna fully accepted her duty from the moment she was a child, Noctis had been running from it.

Leading up to Altissia, the loading screen even notes that Noctis cares alot more about reuniting with Luna than he does about Leviathan. And when she dies, he admits that "All i ever wanted was to save you".

Luna's death throws Noctis into a depression that sours the whole group, mainly because he's mourning over her death more than he's preparing himself for what's in front of them.

Luna's parting gift to Noctis was the Ring, which he avoided the fuck out of until he was basically forced to put it on. Shortly after which, he's thrown into the crystal for 10 years and emerges as the true king.

And then he goes to fufill his duty, after which he immediately dies too.

Noctis' journey was to be more like Luna xD

Yep, I actually thought this could've been a great subversion as well but I just don't think they fleshed out the relationship as thoroughly enough. Like with Jared, an extra cutscene or two that actually added substance to these characters through in-game conventions would've done a simple but integral wonder iyam.

The characters' relationships in this game are uniquely multi-dimensional, despite the game not showing those dimensions so clearly sometimes (at least at first); Noctis and Luna being neither strict lovers nor purely platonic friends, Ardyn being more than self-righteous self-declared hero or thin two-faced villain, the entire brotherhood between the four mains being conveyed almost solely through inferential chemistry -- but with Luna and Noct in particular, the game just doesn't capitalize on it as effectively as it needed to in order bring the image into focus. But the image itself is so riveting.

Guess what I'm saying is I agree with the idea in theory and really like the set-up myself, just wish it was translated better in-game. I was very ambivalent about ch. 9, lol, and after watching Kingsglaive especially. But I dunno, maybe it's just a sour taste in my mouth which will fade in time. That was the primary story I was playing the entire game for after all (ie Noctis/Luna), for the most part, so a grieving Luna-fan in the process of recovery am I indeed. xP >_<

Yeah, I think the easiest way they could have made her death a guaranteed home-run is if they just gave her more time with the player. I feel like if this were FF6 or FF7, we would have maybe shifted between playing as Luna and Noctis up until chapter 9, when she get murdered.

But on the flip side, I think their method of making her loss more tragic by teasing what could have been, and what Noctis really wanted it to be, before having it suddenly ripped from you is also a good way of going about doing it. Luna got just enough screentime in XV for you to know who she was, and most importantly, who she was to Noctis.

But yeah I can see how it would rub people the wrong way.

SkylineRKR

Both were on a suicide mission, Luna was full aware and accepted it. Noctis however wasn't really aware. He's kind of shocked when he hears about the blood sacrifice. His father was always sad around him which he didn't understand either.

If Noctis would be as aware as Luna was since childhood, the journey would've been boring obviously.

There are inconsistencies with Kingsglaive, I felt Luna was better there.

Mailbox

Same for me. I would have preferred if it was all connected by bridges instead. Would have made things a lot better.

I was also hoping it would have a traditional battle arena where you and the team fight monsters instead of betting on monsters.

Not the same series, but that was one of my favorite things about Star Ocean 3.

Just so you guys know, you can get to all exploitable places in altissia w/o the gondola. They only place you are forced to take the gondola is to the fight pit and the restaurant. All the sections you ca. Explore are tied together with bridges and walkways.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just so you guys know, you can get to all exploitable places in altissia w/o the gondola. They only place you are forced to take the gondola is to the fight pit and the restaurant. All the sections you ca. Explore are tied together with bridges and walkways.

It's still a horrible place.

Mailbox

It's still a horrible place.
Outside of the fact that there isn't much to do, I don't see what's so "horrible" about it.

I think it looks good, has interesting paths and lots of small nooks and crannies, and hunts help with that.

It definitely needed "more" of "content" but I think as a town it's fine

Top Bottom