• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer: English Voices

Go_Ly_Dow

Just saw the scan. Man, I just love how unique the mix of settings is in this game. You would NEVER see this in any other RPG series besides FF, especially not from western studios which seem to be stuck in Tolkien fantasy for decades now. This is why I'm still a huge FF fan. It has its flaws (bad writing, melo-drama like in the XIII saga, etc.) and it's clear that I'm not the main target group anymore, but I just appreciate so much how they are always changing and reinventing the series while still retaining the core.

Anybody who defines FF by its battle system clearly hasn't understood the essence of the series. Those are just technicalities. Square would have already implemented faster, action-based systems if the consoles had more power back then. They intended FFIX to have the fastest battles in the series originally, but the PS1 couldn't handle their vision. LR was only one little step away from being full action.
If the creators themselves never have been opposed to the thought of having action-based battle systems, who are you to tell them what their series is defined by?

Sakaguchi himself said that the essence of Final Fantasy is constant change and walking along paths that no one has been on before (see the great Famitsu interview with Kitase a fews days ago!).

Partly agree. Up until Xenoblade and the growth of Moniloth-Soft.

wmlk

Honestly, a ton of JRPGs are extremely diverse. It's just that FF is more of a trend setter and market leader, with a full realization of those diverse designs because of the budget. That's really all there is to it.

Koozek

Yeah, okay, I should've said “big-budget RPGs“^^
And yes, JRPG games are way more creative when it comes to settings, that's why I mentioned western studios as a comparison.
You would never ever get something like FFXV from anywhere else. I hope the main-line AAA FFs never die. If they would just get better writers and have a bit less anime tropes in the character designs.

jett

D-Member
The voices are anime-dub quality. Considering the anime-leanings of this franchise, it's not entirely unbecoming of the game. :p I'm going to guess that decision lies with the VA director rather than the talent.

One thing in the trailer that will probably be fixed in release is how the voices are actually in the scenes. It's like they're not mixed properly or something; it sounds more like they were all set at the same volume and then played, rather than properly panned or volume adjusted for each character.

wmlk

One thing in the trailer that will probably be fixed in release is how the voices are actually in the scenes. It's like they're not mixed properly or something; it sounds more like they were all set at the same volume and then played, rather than properly panned or volume adjusted for each character.

They don't sound like they're outside on the road. It sounds...too crisp.

I don't need it to be a classical turn-based RPG, I just want the game to remain an RPG and not some ADD action bullshit.

same. As long as its a Final Fantasy Game in its Core, i can accept Changes.

I mean FFXV goes even back to the roots in many ways (Monsters, Music....)

Koozek

I don't need it to be a classical turn-based RPG, I just want the game to remain an RPG and not some ADD action bullshit.

Did you read everything we know about the battle system including the info from the developers' commentary on the livestreams? If not: it's deeper than you think.
Could you give examples for action battle systems that you like?

Ishida

Banned
Just saw the scan. Man, I just love how unique the mix of settings is in this game. You would NEVER see this in any other RPG series besides FF, especially not from western studios which seem to be stuck in Tolkien fantasy for decades now. This is why I'm still a huge FF fan. It has its flaws (bad writing, melo-drama like in the XIII saga, etc.) and it's clear that I'm not the main target group anymore, but I just appreciate so much how they are always changing and reinventing the series while still retaining the core.

Anybody who defines FF by its battle system clearly hasn't understood the essence of the series. Those are just technicalities. Square would have already implemented faster, action-based systems if the consoles had more power back then. They intended FFIX to have the fastest battles in the series originally, but the PS1 couldn't handle their vision. LR was only one little step away from being full action.
If the creators themselves never have been opposed to the thought of having action-based battle systems, who are you to tell them what their series is defined by?

Sakaguchi himself said that the essence of Final Fantasy is constant change and walking along paths that no one has been on before (see the great Famitsu interview with Kitase a fews days ago!).

giphy.gif

Well said!

Its Funny how all those so called FF Hardcore Fans are claiming that Final Fantasy 15 isnt a real FF Game anymore, but then dont even know anything about this game.
The developers, the monster, music and stuff.
Because if you take a closer look at this game...You will realize, it has far more FF Elements, then what we saw the past years.

Its Funny how all those so called FF Hardcore Fans are claiming that Final Fantasy 15 isnt a real FF Game anymore, but then dont even know anything about this game.
The developers, the monster, music and stuff.
Because if you take a closer look at this game...You will realize, it has far more FF Elements, then what we saw the past years.

It's the constantly revolving cycle; RE: what is a 'real' FF.

I remember running in some internet bulletin board circles back in '94 (i.e. Prodigy BBs & TSN/INN) and those not around at the time might be surprised to hear that even the now-nostalgic favorite FFVI took its fair share of criticism from some of those considering themselves 'hardcore' (that's right- experts in FF having only played FF1 & FF2/4 :p).

FFVII got it much worse & FFVIII was pretty much murdered by the so-called 'hardcore' FF faithful. I saw both of those labeled "not REAL FF games" by some silly people.

I pretty much just blow those declarations off at this point. When I was much younger I'd get pretty argumentative about it, as it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally, I have yet to play a mainline FF (even XII or XIII) that didn't make me sit up at various points and say "yup... this is a Final Fantasy."
I have no doubt that XV will have the same impact.

It's the constantly revolving cycle; RE: what is a 'real' FF.

FFVII got it much worse & FFVIII was pretty much murdered by the so-called 'hardcore' FF faithful. I saw both of those labeled "not REAL FF games" by some silly people..

I dont even want to imagine those discussions...Let me guess it was the modern industrial setting? (because those old FFs had an medieval touch) The character design?

I think the best SE can do, is ignoring those comments and trying to deliver a solid game.

I remeber many people at Gaf murred after the E3 Trailer 2013: Is this an uncharted game or Final Fantasy?

The more videos and content SE delivered for FF15, the more quiet those critics became.

sensui-tomo

Dont these voice actors voice animu characters though?

If you're talking about the japanese cast, Definitely, the english, probably but i have no idea who the cast is, Hell FF13's cast has troy baker who voices anime constantly, if i go with some people's thoughts here I should assume Troy baker sounds like shit(which i dont believe since he's pulled off a great performance in most of his work, including ACTION BASTARD)

Pimpwerx

I dont even want to imagine those discussions...Let me guess it was the modern industrial setting? (because those old FFs had an medieval touch) The character design?

I think the best SE can do, is ignoring those comments and trying to deliver a solid game.

I remeber many people at Gaf murred after the E3 Trailer 2013: Is this an uncharted game or Final Fantasy?

The more videos and content SE delivered for FF15, the more quiet those critics became.
The materia system was probably the biggest beef I remember people having with it at the time. It was a pox on the franchise to not have distinct roles like dark mage, white mage and others. Materia meant you could make asny character into anything for the most part. Everything was compared to FF3 at the time. The hate FF7 got is often forgotten, but the game was hated by the faithful for a long time. Oh yeah, it dared to tell its story via fmv too. That was another complaint. PEACE.

Top Bottom