• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Windows will have official mod support

Pachael

Tabata has talked about mod support for years. Its happening.

Might be tricky to implement across the different codebases (Windows 10, Steam, Origin) - I wonder if there is crossplay between the versions in the first place. I guess Steam's mostly OK due to workshop though.

Newboi

Might be tricky to implement across the different codebases (Windows 10, Steam, Origin) - I wonder if there is crossplay between the versions in the first place. I guess Steam's mostly OK due to workshop though.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Windows 10, Steam, and Origin having separate code bases? Also, mod support isn't something that requires a store front-end to exist or function.

In terms of multiplayer, Square would be maintaining the servers, so I wouldn't see why multiplayer would be limited by software store-fronts. This hasn't affected any other title with multiplayer that exists across multiple-store fronts either.

Durante

1080Ti as a recommended spec. is a bit ridiculous though, surely?
Not at all. The game has apparently integrated basically every single expensive tech that NV has to offer. And those are expensive for good reasons.

Forcing everyone to download 4K assets as well? (how else does 170GB happen)
That could be done smarter though, Steam has the capabilities to easily split assets (for languages and also detail) and let users get only what they need.

But they are also launching on lesser distribution platforms where this might be more difficult.

Mifec

Not at all. The game has apparently integrated basically every single expensive tech that NV has to offer. And those are expensive for good reasons.

That could be done smarter though, Steam has the capabilities to easily split assets (for languages and also detail) and let users get only what they need.

But they are also launching on lesser distribution platforms where this might be more difficult.

Origin also has those options surprisingly. Especially for VA stuff.

Pachael

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Windows 10, Steam, and Origin having separate code bases? Also, mod support isn't something that requires a store front-end to exist or function.

In terms of multiplayer, Square would be maintaining the servers, so I wouldn't see why multiplayer would be limited by software store-fronts. This hasn't affected any other title with multiplayer that exists across multiple-store fronts either.

How I see it is that mod support between the three PC platforms aren't the same, (isn't the Win10 store platform quite restrictive on modding?) so the code design would be different.

Maybe SE will provide their own mod workshop...

Caffeine

1080Ti as a recommended spec. is a bit ridiculous though, surely? Forcing everyone to download 4K assets as well? (how else does 170GB happen)

Mod support is awesome though and I really hope it leads to a lot more than just some NSFW character models (as I'm sure it will)

recommended is pointing to playing at 4k a lot of games have been doing that lately.

EVOL 100%

Mod support? Wow. Is this the first major Japanese game to support mods?

With all the new information coming out, I'm actually pretty interested in this game which is the last thing I thought I'd say about a Final Fantasy

Well fuck, looks like I'm going to have to double-dip at some point and pick this up on PC.

I'll wait and see if it's a complete edition or what they're doing first.

Way more interested in general balance/systems mods than in, like, costume/effects changes, but these things usually work out almost entirely in favor of the latter.

Parsnip

They are seemingly putting more effort into this one than any of their previous ports combined. I do wonder if that's something we can thank Tabata for or if it's more company wide thing. I guess time will tell.

I do hope that they will have some options for lod distance on the final release, especially to eliminate foliage pop-in. The 4K gameplay I saw had it real bad still.

Gurnlei

Upgrading around the end of the year for $1200 or so. Hope I can get a decent 4k experience.

Mods just made it an insta-buy.

Mailbox

"THATS IT!"

Yep, definitely gonna double dip.
FF15 has basically become my official time waster game since I stopped playing skyrim.

New community questlines, character edits (altering the boys' appearance is one thing, but I hope there's a mod that gives Cindy an actual mechanics uniform), and more has me super excited.

Pooya

If they have any extensive modding possibilities close to Bethesda games, I'm sure someone can make a good game out of this. You don't need terrain mapping capabilities and things like, there is a lot of empty space in this game you can do something with. Honestly the map isn't bad at all, it's just whatever you do in this game is dull.

New party members, more control over them, tweaks to combat. These are the things the game needs.

Mailbox

Waiting for that mod that makes the Combat good lol

Idk, imo the combat is already very good (especially if you experiment with directional inputs and weapon combos)

The problem with "combat" was never the combat system, rather it was the fact that every battle never required the player to learn it. Every fight could be won through attrition if you had enough items.

Give the game an item limit (and maybe edit how battle zones work, and maybe add in ally ai control) and the combat immediately gets "fixed"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't wait to play through FFXV as Lightning.

giphyins8n.gif

Thorgal

Lets not put the cart ahead of the horse just yet. This is SE we are talking about.. First lets see if they don't monetize the living shit out of it, or how expansive and open the mod support actually is.

People who expect Skyrim / Fallout levels of modding /conversion are going to come out disappointed I think anyway.

Mailbox

People who expect Skyrim / Fallout levels of modding /conversion are going to come out disappointed I think anyway.

Well the reason skyrim and fallout had that level of modding was both the community and the toolset given to modders.

If the FFXV pc version has a good modders toolset, all that would be needed is a constant and good community.

Sure we probably won't get Skyrim levels of modding, but i do think that modding will be interesting and big here.

SoulUnison

Banned
Hopefully somebody makes a mod that scales lower-level encounters with you so 90% of the game's combat content isn't trivialized by, y'know, playing the game.

I just want to hang out in the Cleigne region and fight random mobs for that sweet, sweet battle music, but once you're even a few levels above something you basically one-shot it. And forget about going back with endgame levels and gear.

Mifec

Hopefully somebody makes a mod that scales lower-level encounters with you so 90% of the game's combat content isn't trivialized by, y'know, playing the game.

I just want to hang out in the Cleigne region and fight random mobs for that sweet, sweet battle music, but once you're even a few levels above something you basically one-shot it. And forget about going back with endgame levels and gear.

I may or may not have been level 83 before I left for Altissia rofl.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
If they have any extensive modding possibilities close to Bethesda games, I'm sure someone can make a good game out of this. You don't need terrain mapping capabilities and things like, there is a lot of empty space in this game you can do something with. Honestly the map isn't bad at all, it's just whatever you do in this game is dull.

New party members, more control over them, tweaks to combat. These are the things the game needs.

I'd honestly buy this game again if some modders made the combat and magic system actually interesting. The look of the world and the atmosphere had promise, but I ended up being so disappointed by the actual gameplay. Give me a deep combo system to engage with that actually pays off in gameplay, make warpstrikes less all-powerful, and give me more than three 'spells' (which are actually just grenades), and I'd give the game another chance.

Ploid 3.0

Oooooh snap! Now I'm in, not at launch but like GTA5 PC I will keep a very close eye on it. Mods fix everything, hopefully the mod support is very good, Skyrim game changing mechanics level would be so nice. Full party control mod? New gear, harder bosses, Notorious Monsters pack mod with custom loot (skyrim stuff).

Please be good, please be good.

Waiting for that mod that makes the Combat good lol

This too, well I said that above, but like Skyrim Mods, FFXV mods can make the gameplay enjoyable if modders have enough tools to work with. I better set my expectations lower but this would be the thing that gets me me to buy it. Actual magic instead of aoe consumables for example. The ability to actually summon at the cost of mana.

Top Bottom