• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

royox

Some cool artwork out there already

For Shiva they LITERALLY got the 3 versions of Shadowbringer's Shiva and mixed them xD

"Ice Shiva"
e8.jpg

"Light/Blondie Shiva"
1829ecbaf2c37af3f9607560af92950fe2a3772f.gifv

"Light Not-Wearing-Much-Stuff Shiva"
3lxrzy5h3sh41.jpg

GymWolf

Not interested in the slightes after ff15 or 7remake, the graphics looks mediocre too.

Project athia is where the hype is.

It looked to me that they are trying to transform the game into a dragona age\witcher, i had this impression looking at the trailer, probably the only thing i liked.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
Hell yeah. XIII is about 1000x better than people give it credit for. To this day, the art style, character designs and music are jaw dropping. I think most of them are working on FFVIIR which looks very similar to XIII in a lot of ways IMHO. The final trailer is sick as well.

This is cgi, fake hud bs, thought.

Honestly shocked they didn't show a CGI trailer.

Of the titles shown it looked the furthest away from launch considering it was running on PC, I'm guessing it's ~2 years away.

Last edited:

royox

Not interested in the slightes after ff15 or 7remake, the graphics looks mediocre too.

Project athia is where the hype is.

It looked to me that they are trying to transform the game into a dragona age\witcher, i had this impression looking at the trailer, probably the only thing i liked.

From YoshiP himself:
Z.jpg

rzhyfu4mshrvkirtnggr.jpg

THIS is the person you all want in charge of the Final Fantasy saga.

Project Athia comes from the team that did FFXV. A team that released a game in Alpha State, with a horrible combat system, with the most horrible open world ever seen on the PS4Xbone generation, with the worst narrative possible, incompleted, cut into pieces, that forced you to watch a 2h movie, an anime, buy a guide book, 6 DLC's, a novel, a Royal Edition just to have 80% of a whole game...and they left in incompleted.

I know where the hype should be.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Im happy with the return to a more medieval setting but there seems to be a bit of a lack in imagination of the character designs and world so far.

Oddly the charactets stand out like a sore thumb and don't look as good as the rest of the game

But more importantly I'll take a hit on graphics if they can get back to the depth and breadth of content the older games had

royox

Dude i don't even know what the hell are you talking about :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Answering at your "graphics look mediocre". If something they learned with the FF saga is that Graphics should be totally secondary if they want to do a good game.

GymWolf

Answering at your "graphics look mediocre". If something they learned with the FF saga is that Graphics should be totally secondary if they want to do a good game.
Oh cmon, you can put gameplay at first place and still having a game on a nextgen console that looks noticeably better than ff15, a game from 5 years ago...

Do you think that only because the graphics is mediocre the game is gonna be automatically better than games with better graphics? This is bullshit and wishfull thinking, especially with how trash modern square is...

Last edited:

hrab

It looks like FF14(which is like 2013), which wouldn't be so bad, but the characters looks so bland. The arstyle is just mmo-generic.

Last edited:

royox

Do you think that only because the graphics is mediocre the game is gonna be automatically better than games with better graphics? This is bullshit and wishfull thinking, especially with how trash modern square is...

Oh no. Only because it's done by FFXIV heavensward team the game is gonna be automatically better than games with better graphics.

GymWolf

Oh no. Only because it's done by FFXIV heavensward team the game is gonna be automatically better than games with better graphics.
Again, wishful thinking but i hope you are right, the last decent ff i played was ff9.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Getting FFXII vibes with this game.

Same. I like how so many of us called it would probably go back to that after several Final Fantasy in that sci fi theme.

Exclusively NOT on Xbox.
dcx1wWb.gif

LOL YESSSSSSSS!!! (Love Eartha Kitt!)

Console exclusive. That's quite brutal.

That rumor was true in the end. Gee, that's SFV all over again.

I'm not really surprised. When this was first rumored, lots of logical reasons exist for Square to just stop putting titles on XB.

At this point, it just makes sense as that install base just doesn't really buy JRPGs like that. They'll likely port later on when its cheaper if the install base has a interest, but who knows.

So I'm hype about the setting, the story sounds interesting and I'm ok with how it looks. Can't wait to hear more.

sublimit

Banned
It looks fucking amazing. I'm glad it's a return to a medieval setting and the combat looks great. Looking forward for their next information reveal.

Oh and Yoshida at the producer's helm gives me confidence that this game will actually be finished in a proper way and be a solid game when it gets released.

NeoLed

This is what we need in the future, not the nonsense from the past few games.
XV side quests:
- Go fetch that dog tag for me
- Go take a picture with a camera of X or Y for me.
- Go kill that monster for me
- Go pick up some frogs for me.
- Go fetch some ingredients for me
VIIR side quests:
- Go kill some rats for me
- Go grab my cats for me
- Go destroy some boxes

tenor.gif

SE please, move on from this stuff, it only hurts the overall experience.
Can you give me one example of a quest from any rpg that doesn't have that element/task?

EDMIX

Can you give me one example of a quest from any rpg that doesn't have that element/task?

Agreed. I never get when folks react to something and then have zero actual example. ie please believe me its true, I mean.... I have no evidence, but its true.

Even Witcher 3 had quest like that, you had to kill some fucking rats when you met up with one of the characters lol

Hudo

It looks fucking amazing. I'm glad it's a return to a medieval setting and the combat looks great. Looking forward for their next information reveal.

Oh and Yoshida at the producer's helm gives me confidence that this game will actually be finished in a proper way and be a solid game when it gets released.
Yeah, Yoshida gives me that confidence as well. FF15 was a fucking disaster in terms of development, if rumors are to be believed.

The more I watch the trailer the better it looks and more interesting it seems
Same for me. I also harbor the suspicion that there will be more "over the top"-stuff later in the game that just isn't shown.

I am curious how Black Mages look like.

carlosrox

Banned
This trailer gave me all kinds of feels. 🥺

Medieval Mainline Fantasy FF.

Medieval. Mainline. Fantasy FF.

I almost thought this day would never come. Easily the best thing they showed, followed by DS.

ZZZZ

Witcher 3 (even though it's not all of them, there's some great ones in there) and even though it's not an RPG, GTA V comes to mind.
Even the original FFVII, visiting The laboratory in shinra mansion in disc 3 for some incredible story telling (side content), or vising Lucrecia in Lucrecia's Cave, the 3 weapon fights and the entire Wutai segment is a side quest, these are all optional content done well.
Pillars of Eternity 2 and Baldurs gate 2 have some incredible side quests as well that are not part of the main story.
Mass Effect 2, your squadmates/friends personal sidequets are amazing.
I have more exemples but i think that's enough.

FF VIIR wasn't even open world, it was a linear game, removing those side quests would have made the game better not worse, kept the coliseum and A.I fights maybe add a few more cool bosses in there as the side content would be enough for that game if you can't write a decent one.

Last edited:
Read every comment on this thread and...
tenor.gif

Most of you give Square Enix too much credit, yet barely comprehend what Final Fantasy is all about. "Final Fantasy" is not a single entity, it's not what you think it is, It's not a turned based rpg, it's not a open world medieval fantasy, it's not a linear futuristic cinematic experience, it's none of those things, and yet it's all of those things. It doesn't make sense? It rarely does. But even so, you must realize how split fanbase is, just read this thread, not one FF fan thinks alike, everyone has their own ideal of what Final Fantasy is to them, half loves this, and the other half hates it, Square Enix knows this. I played Final Fantasy since its conception with FF1 on Nes, but I didn't really become a fan until FF7. Yet I understand how split the fanbase really is, it's Square Enix fault really they shot themselves on the foot by being experimental with their mainline series, but it is what it is and here we are. This game will surely appease those who been begging for the classic return of the medieval fantasy of 1-6 that do not care for graphics or linearity, but it's not going to be for everyone. Those seeking for a more linear cinematic experience will get that with FF7R-2, so in a way SE is appeasing both fanbases at once. Chill people, none you are wrong for enjoying what you like, but be respectful to others. We're all Final Fantasy fans in the end.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Read every comment on this thread and...
tenor.gif

Most of you give Square Enix too much credit, yet barely comprehend what Final Fantasy is all about. "Final Fantasy" is not a single entity, it's not what you think it is, It's not a turned based rpg, it's not a open world medieval fantasy, it's not a linear futuristic cinematic experience, it's none of those things, and yet it's all of those things. It doesn't make sense? It rarely does. But even so, you must realize how split fanbase is, just read this thread, not one FF fan thinks alike, everyone has their own ideal of what Final Fantasy is to them, half loves this, and the other half hates it, Square Enix knows this. I played Final Fantasy since its conception with FF1 on Nes, but I didn't really become a fan until FF7. Yet I understand how split the fanbase really is, it's Square Enix fault really they shot themselves in the foot by being experimental with with their mainline series, but it is what it is and here we are. This game will surely appease those who been begging for the classic return of the medieval FF for 1-6 that do not care for graphics or linearity, but it's not going to be for everyone. Those seeking for a more linear cinematic experience will get that with FF7R-2, so in a way SE is appeasing both fanbases at once. Chill people, none you are wrong for enjoying what you like, but be respectful to others.
I agree with everything you just said, i just want better writing, better quests and dialogues, 12, 13 and XV were a mess.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
So they use three different engines now? lol
Same as before, no change. Unreal, Crystal and Luminous.
Bold strategy.
Fucking Square I swear.

CrysisFreak

Banned
From YoshiP himself:
Z.jpg

rzhyfu4mshrvkirtnggr.jpg

THIS is the person you all want in charge of the Final Fantasy saga.

Project Athia comes from the team that did FFXV. A team that released a game in Alpha State, with a horrible combat system, with the most horrible open world ever seen on the PS4Xbone generation, with the worst narrative possible, incompleted, cut into pieces, that forced you to watch a 2h movie, an anime, buy a guide book, 6 DLC's, a novel, a Royal Edition just to have 80% of a whole game...and they left in incompleted.

I know where the hype should be.
Athia looks more impressive than XVI at the moment.
I like them both but have you seen Athia? Well impressive!

ZZZZ

This confuses me, they literally haven't shown a single thing from Athia, just bland generic scenarios with a character doing jumps similar to Assassins Creed.

Kimahri

Banned

Greedfall had plenty. Fantastic quest design. You felt like you were part of an actual story and could affect its outcome. Many quests were just navigating conversations, and they blended so well together with the main quests that it all felt like just one cohesive whole.

royox

It looks impressive visually.

FFXV also looks impressive visually and it's one of the biggest pieces of shit I ever played.

Maybe FFXIV players stopped giving importance to graphics as we are playing currently the best FF game and we are used to have these kind of graphics:

Parche-3.5-de-FFXIV-Gu%C3%ADa-de-prueba-de-Seat-of.jpg

Last edited:

SaniOYOYOY

I'm fine with this approach if the art style is strong. Souls games come out every 2-3 years from a smaller studio than SQEX. They need to get back to putting out 2-3 major RPGs each gen.
can crystal tool slap some RTX or something? I feel like it just need that to be "next gen" esque graphicwise

Boss Mog

Disappointing stuff, this looks exactly like FFXIV tbh. It's hard to fathom that a next gen FF game is going to look far worse than current gen FF7R.

NahaNago

This looked boring to me. The summons looked impressive but I'm not really liking the new style. Maybe when I see more of this game I'll like it. I was hoping to be interested in the world and its characters in the first trailer but this didn't do anything for me.

edit: after rewatching that trailer it really really does look like ff14. Just lacks the charm of it in the trailer.

Last edited:

Myths

can crystal tool slap some RTX or something? I feel like it just need that to be "next gen" esque graphicwise
No. I'm not sure why they're even still using Crystal Tools. That should've been baled right after Lightning Returns. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
The real question is where's D.Final D.Final take on this? I figured he'd be hyping this up as usual. He kinda just vanished after FFXV lost in the first rounds of the polls. Anyway I just re-watched the trailer and I love how dark and gritty this entry is. First M rated Final Fantasy?

Top Bottom