• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

ZZZZ

When it comes to Final Fantasy for me it's:

Story > Gameplay > Music > Graphics.

Honestly I'm fine with the visuals. They look good, they just don't look "next gen", but honestly with the exception of Demon Souls, I felt that way from pretty much everything we've seen so far.
The way the game looks i see no reason not to be cross-gen, shouldn't be that hard to port to PS4.

I expect some kind of announcement in the future that it's coming to PS4 as well, unless there's a major graphic overhaul in the next year of development which i don't see it happening, i'm confident this is coming late 2021 early 2022, and i expect SE to take advantage of the huge player base in the PS4, specially if they go with Mature rating.

Last edited:

Caffeine

The way the game looks i see no reason not to be cross-gen, shouldn't be that hard to port to PS4.

I expect some kind of announcement in the future that it's coming to PS4 as well, unless there's a major graphic overhaul in the next year of development.
I think so too i see glimpses of 14 and 15 in there.

ZZZZ

I'm thinking this is a 2021 or 2022 game, but I would gladly buy a ps5 just for this one. Also is it me or combat is more dmc than ff?
DMC / Dragon's dogma combat director is working on it. I already made a post about how the MC is using the summons powers to use combos, just the way Dante transforms Bosses into weapons.

I'm not sure it's pure action as everyone is speculating.
The camera seems very deliberately set up to look like a duel.
I'm guessing rather than having free control of character movement,
you issue orders such as character magic or retreat.
In the fight scene against the lancer, it looks like FF13-3 gameplay almost.

YukiOnna

Agreed on this part. Hopefully they give better trailer next time. Also assuming the concept art for the recruitment page is indeed for the game, the area we see probably something on the border or outskirt of the city. There is huge castle on top of hill.

yf9ymax0jkw31.jpg
I imagine we'll get locales next time we see it. They probably wanted to focus on the tone and what it's about first than the world.

Kumomeme

I imagine we'll get locales next time we see it. They probably wanted to focus on the tone and what it's about first than the world.
assuming this indeed handled by Heavensward staff(almost certain now), we probably can see different locales, culture and social standing especially when looking at the city concept art. Upper part probably where higher status society lives. There probably pope and stuff. Basically, Heavensward. Lower part might look bland and barren. I expect things is different on other part.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm not sure it's pure action as everyone is speculating.
The camera seems very deliberately set up to look like a duel.
I'm guessing rather than having free control of character movement,
you issue orders such as character magic or retreat.
In the fight scene against the lancer, it looks like FF13-3 gameplay almost.
It's an ARPG, it may be real-time but we have only seen small snippets and that's without summons, items, levels, magic, etc. I don't even think ATB will be entirely gone, they'll probably have it incorporated like FF7R. It may not be command based, but it'll be there.

assuming this indeed handled by Heavensward staff(almost certain now), we probably can see different locales, culture and social standing especially when looking at the city concept art. Upper part probably where higher status society lives. There probably pope and stuff. Basically, Heavensward. Lower part might look bland and barren. I expect things is different on other part.
Since it's probably HW/SB team then yeah. We'll definitely get a diverse world. I just hope, this will have other races/beast tribes, too rather than entirely human.

I'm just going to look at this as a PS4 game giving the XIV leads a chance. It's clearly been worked on for a few years already. Looks extremely similar to XIV in terms of art style.

Once they show full cities, exploration, equipment, spells, and balance all that out with the combat, it'll be fun.

Gotta say though, I'm honestly sick of DMC combat and floating enemies in the air for juggle combos. I would have rather DMC V not even be made. And Dragon's Dogma combat seemed better than this, and a bit more grounded. The game still will be fun, but I'm just going to treat it like an experiment and try to enjoy it for what it is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've known about this for like a year and it was the hardest thing to not talk about.

Any idea how long this was being developed? Hoping it's coming out sooner rather than later.

Vaelka

PC too I am happy with that.

Is this supposed to be Shiva tho or a new character lol?
She looks nothing like Shiva to me, and her body seems really disproportionate with her head xD...
ViKLi5Wpr2Pz7Czp7tTtQF-650-80.png.webp

Last edited:

Halo0629

DMC / Dragon's dogma combat director is working on it. I already made a post about how the MC is using the summons powers to use combos, just the way Dante transforms Bosses into weapons.
Nice. That's what I'm really hoping for, a better combat gameplay. I really don't like the floaty and sticky combat of ff7 remake.

FF Fans: We want classic FF
Also FF Fans: This looks too classic
I don't think that's it.

1) It's not a CG reveal, which is great. Yoshida's style is transparency with fans.
2) It's not fully polished graphically, in terms of lip sync, and probably more.
3) It is not a next gen game. This clearly looks like a PS4 game coming out a year or two too late.
4) The art style and character design is literally almost identical to FF XIV.

People will warm up to it when we see more I think, but the unveiling has a lot of strange elements.

ZZZZ

I'm just going to look at this as a PS4 game giving the XIV leads a chance. It's clearly been worked on for a few years already. Looks extremely similar to XIV in terms of art style.

Once they show full cities, exploration, equipment, spells, and balance all that out with the combat, it'll be fun.

Gotta say though, I'm honestly sick of DMC combat and floating enemies in the air for juggle combos. I would have rather DMC V not even be made. And Dragon's Dogma combat seemed better than this, and a bit more grounded. The game still will be fun, but I'm just going to treat it like an experiment and try to enjoy it for what it is.
That's how you combo in every japanese game ever though, not just DMC, games like Tales of, Nier Automata, Fighting games (Street Fighter, Tekken, etc..) or even some side scrollers like Odin Sphere or Bloodstained.

Last edited:
That's how you combo in every japanese game ever though, not just DMC, games like Tales of, Nier Automata, Fighting games (Street Fighter, Tekken, etc..) or even some side scrollers like Odin Sphere.
Not Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear Rising, off the top of my head.

I play all the DMC off-shoots, and will get Bayonetta 3. But I'm honestly just sick of it is all I'm saying. And we're also getting Babylon's Fall, and Bayonetta 3, and probably another Platinum Games Nier game. I just wish they tried new stuff since so many games do it. I wish the main guy behind DMC V made something new. It's not bad, just repetitive.

ZZZZ

Not Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear Rising, off the top of my head.

I play all the DMC off-shoots, and will get Bayonetta 3. But I'm honestly just sick of it is all I'm saying. And we're also getting Babylon's Fall, and Bayonetta 3, and probably another Platinum Games Nier game. I just wish they tried new stuff since so many games do it. I wish the main guy behind DMC V made something new. It's not bad, just repetitive.

Hm..You don't "Combo" in those games.

I don't remember Ninja Gaiden though, been too long.

Vaelka

Am I just remembering it wrong, but wasn't juggling in Dragon's Dogma too?

YukiOnna

Agreed on this part. Hopefully they give better trailer next time. Also assuming the concept art for the recruitment page is indeed for the game, the area we see probably something on the border or outskirt of the city. There is huge castle on top of hill.

yf9ymax0jkw31.jpg
Is there any more artwork available? SE took down the 3BD recruitment page it seems.

ZZZZ

Yeah, which I guess I prefer.
Fair enough.
I prefer combo games though, i don't find them repetitive.
Just wanted to point it out that it's not a DMC thing, and more of a Combo thing in general.

I don't see any combos in this game? We don't even have a HUD, no?
There is an air combo in the video for like 3 seconds, and from the movements sets, it looks like you can do some nasty stuff with it.

ZZZZ

I don't see any combos in this game? We don't even have a HUD, no?
At 2:10 he's sorta doing the DMC float. It still feels pretty weighty though, which I like. 2:15 he does it again, and the main phoenix move seems like a big uppercut launcher.
Here's an example, you have the titan moveset where he does some heavy stun punches that the last hit sends the guy flying, you switch to the phoenix set, you blink to the target do a couple more hits and then do the uppercut launcher, jump up switch to garuda and to the quick slashes and you keep going from there.

carlosrox

Banned
K.

This is the FF I've been wanting since FF6 (and 9).

The characters could look a bit more interesting design wise but I'll gladly take it.

This is the direction FF needs to go in, fuck that overly futuristic shit.

Vaelka

Heh, people are already crying about '' no PoC, no women main characters '' ( even tho we have no clue what characters are even going to be playable or prominent in the game yet ) :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
I have to say, a lot of people online are having a very negative reaction to this trailer.

Personally I do think that it looks quite generic, it doesn't have the flare of other FF games. It looks like they're trying to pander to Westerners tbh.
I will wait for more tho but even if people didn't like FF15 I still think that it looked better at least.
When I think of Final Fantasy I don't think of '' generic medieval setting '', I wouldn't call FFXIV that either it still feels like an FF game to me but this doesn't.
Not saying that it's going to be bad, but I do understand why a lot of people are disappointed too and I would've prefered something brighter and more in line with the other games.

Shiva's design is kinda garbage too imo, it just looks really weird and not like Shiva at all to me.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Heh, people are already crying about '' no PoC, no women main characters '' ( even tho we have no clue what characters are even going to be playable or prominent in the game yet ) :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
I have to say, a lot of people online are having a very negative reaction to this trailer.

Personally I do think that it looks quite generic, it doesn't have the flare of other FF games. It looks like they're trying to pander to Westerners tbh.
I will wait for more tho but even if people didn't like FF15 I still think that it looked better at least.
When I think of Final Fantasy I don't think of '' generic medieval setting '', I wouldn't call FFXIV that either it still feels like an FF game to me but this doesn't.
Not saying that it's going to be bad, but I do understand why a lot of people are disappointed too and I would've prefered something brighter and more in line with the other games.
Not really, even on ERA there's not enough crying about it it's like 1 post every 20, and those guys called the devs in FFVIIR racist because of the way Barret is portrayed.

Vaelka

Not really, even on ERA there's not enough crying about it it's like 1 post every 20, and those guys called the devs in FFVIIR racist because of the way Barret is portrayed.

I didn't look at Resetera, I was looking at their Twitter and also reddit.
A lot of people have a negative opinion of what they saw.

ZZZZ

I didn't look at Resetera, I was looking at their Twitter and also reddit.
A lot of people have a negative opinion of what they saw.
Haven't looked at Twitter yet.
Kinda crazy.
If you think about it the last 7 FF games not Remakes.
X - You can say Yuna shares the spotlight with Tidus.
X-2 Yuna is the main character.
XII - Vaan is just a side show, the story is about Ashelia, she's the main character.
XIII - Lightning
XIII2- Serah Farron
XIII3 - Lightning
XV - Noctis
XVI - Male MC

So you have
2 Males characters as MC
1 Shared
5 Females as MC
And they still complain, unbelievable.

Itachi87

Haven't been so excited for a Final Fantasy title in a long time.

Combination of Yoshida, fantasy setting, and DMC style combat has me hyped. Really hopeful that we might actually be getting a Final Fantasy with good story; it's been way too long.

Don't even care about the graphics. I rather have a FF game w/ good story, characters, and gameplay over pretty graphics any day.

Last edited:

Combination of Yoshida, fantasy setting, and DMC style combat has me hyped. Really hopeful that we might actually be getting a Final Fantasy with good story; it's been way too long.
Since it is clearly Yoshida style, I'm hoping that means the story is actually decent, the areas are large and open, and there are multiple large cities.

carlosrox

Banned
The combat system could be about sucking dicks and I'd still be into this cuz this is actually a

MODERN
MEDIEVAL
FF

I fucking asked for this.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

To add to the Combo conversation, there's a pull as well so...yeah.
Here's the gif.
Edit: Plus an enemy step, holy shit.
giphy.gif
If anything it looked fluid as hell. It's still going to be an Action RPG so we likely won't be going all the way on one spectrum, but it looks like they got the speed and feel down.

ZZZZ

Can anyone tell me how is the FF XIV Side quests? I'm not into MMO and i'm curious how Yoshi P does side quests.
I want SE to move away from fetch quests so bad.
The side quests in XV are absolutely atrocious, and the ones in FFVIIR are the worst part of the game by far as well, they really got to step up on that department.
I

poodaddy

I'm down for a Final Fantasy that is very obviously inspired by The Witcher and Dragon's Dogma. I also dig the more adult tone of the world and the writing, perhaps it won't be bogged down by anime level writing as much as XV, (I like the game, but the writing's god awful), and XIII, (shit game), were.

I never been more bored from a FF reveal trailer in my life. It has no resemblance to anything FF besides some chocobos and summons. I know all FF have different settings and designs, but this feels like a whole different IP.

I think it's lack of epic music and a very rough gameplay shown.

Also, why does it seem like there's only one character you can control?

Tschumi

Okay, thoughts.
Graphics, I'm glad they're not going after the same ultra realism train as most other AAA games these days, but i hope what they lack in technical pazzaz they make up for in detail. I feel kind of weird about the character designs, it feels kind of like it is the Tales of Earthsea to FFXII's Spirited Away (in terms of power and style, not literal looks) or something.

Voice acting: methinks I'll be playing this with Japanese audio if possible.

Setting:
Back to medieval FF? FFT, FFXII? Ivalice and what not? That would be great - my favourite setting.

Hopes: i hope this is a challenger to the great titles, rather than a new XIII.

Edit: Combat: if it is the souped up take on FFXII that it appears to be, I'll prefer it mightily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaelka

Can anyone tell me how is the FF XIV Side quests? I'm not into MMO and i'm curious how Yoshi P does side quests.
I want SE to move away from fetch quests so bad.
The side quests in XV are absolutely atrocious, and the ones in FFVIIR are the worst part of the game by far as well, they really got to step up on that department.
I

Honestly I rarely did quests outside of the main scenario for leveling, I mainly did fates.
But the quests that I did do were alright and didn't only involve fighting or fetch quests, there was a lot of dialogue and short stories being told and some really unique ones.

Some of them basically were their own storylines, same with the crafting they basically had their own story in a sense and a lot of side-quests gives special rewards like dances, emotes or mog gear etc.

The Manderville storyline especially is pretty funny and they keep adding to it and you get a lot of fun emotes and rewards from it.

YukiOnna

Don't even care about the graphics. I rather have a FF game w/ good story, characters, and gameplay over pretty graphics any day.
One of the things I like is Yoshida called out FF has been putting too much focus on graphics to a detriment.

Top Bottom