• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Fbh

We need to accept the fact SE will never go back to turn based with mainline FF and if thats the case then I rather see them fully commit to proper action RPG combat. I will get my turned based RPG from Bravely/Octopath, Dragon Quest and SMT/Persona.

I don't want to see another FFXV.

XV had shit combat, doesn't mean every game with a party needs to have one.

7 remake had a fantastic real time combat system that still managed to make the entire party feel relevant.
The Tales games usually have enjoyed combat systems too while also having a party. The newer YS games tend to have great real time combat too while having a party. Xenoblade 2 had really fun semi real time combat with a party, etc.

Hell even Dragons Dogma, which one of the people making this was involved with, is still considered to have some of the best real time rpg combat and you play with a party (thats great aside from the repetitive dialog).

Not to mention, there's more to there being just one character than gameplay. It affects the story too.

If they are set on it being just one character I hope there's at least several playable character and they just have some excuse as to why they can't fight together.

mortal

Gold Member
Fu729oX.gif
iwI1e0W.gif

Gz2fqJ0.gif
3Ple3ss.gif

caffeware

Banned
Not what I was expecting.
But after watching the trailer again in Japanese, I think this checks all the right boxes.

Only concern is combat. Allow for party members please!

Can't wait!

tryDEATH

Looks decent nothing amazing, but this proves Square Enix is going to be Sony's biggest ally for next generation and you can almost bank on all their games having some sort of exclusivity deal going on, which is a shame as it is such a huge publisher. But that is the Japan connection in full effect.

I guess I’m one the few that actually likes the art direction and I don’t mind the graphics are not high tech, I’m actually happy about it. It means they are wasting less time trying to make engine work and more time in actual game, hopefully it won’t take decade to get released.
Usually I'd agree with you but as an art>graphics guy the art style is not particularly impressive either. Dull, drab, and not very imaginative. This is Final Fantasy we're talking about, the AAA premiere JRPG franchise of forever. Not just Tales or Dragon Quest. Normal to have high expectations for both art and graphics.

Mojo1990

I doubt that's the case here. Luminous Engine is being handled by the recently formed studio Luminous Productions. They're developing the new IP Project Athia.
This is either UE4 or a newer version of Crystal Tools.

The White Engine became Crystal Tools. They stopped using this at the end of FF13 series. They started development on Luminous (Studio) and made FF15. Now they have developed that substantially. You can see the Obvious reused assets in this trailer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Usually I'd agree with you but as an art>graphics guy the art style is not particularly impressive either. Dull, drab, and not very imaginative. This is Final Fantasy we're talking about, the AAA premiere JRPG franchise of forever. Not just Tales or Dragon Quest. Normal to have high expectations for both art and graphics.
Well artstyle is subjective, I personally like it, but the with modern FF games they always struggled with trying to make the engine work and even with FFVIIR, it looked good but god damn it had lots of graphic issues.

I rather see them concentrate on actual game rather high tech graphics.

Last edited:
It won't be released on PC day 1, at least according to reports.

That's disappointing if that's the case. I mean I might still get it anyways like I did with FFXV, unless it turns out to be dogshit, in which case I'll hold off. Playstation users get to be early access testers for this if that's the case.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's interesting how it was visually just not one of the most impressive games, but it was the one far back enough in development that they still only have PC footage.

ZZZZ

Looks like the combat style is based on summons? Kinda reminds me of DMC, how you turn the Bosses into weapons, i'm guessing FF XVI will be similar.
I'll make some gifs and explain in just a bit.

MagnesG

Banned
Well artstyle is subjective, I personally like it, but the with modern FF games they always struggled with trying to make the engine work and even with FFVIIR, it looked good but god damn it had lots of graphic issues.

I rather see them concentrate on actual game rather high tech graphics.
That would apply if they actually put the same amount of work compared to their previous ones. It's still flashy and I'm not seeing much of the gameplay here, just solo boss fight, probably mashing buttons.

Danjin44

That would apply if they actually put the same amount of work compared to their previous ones. It's still flashy and I'm not seeing much of the gameplay here, just solo boss fight, probably mashing buttons.
We honestly still don't know anything how the combat works, magic system, summon or does even have job system....we just have to see.

And it terms of art style it kind of reminds me of this....

Caffeine

Looks like the combat style is based on summons? Kinda reminds me of DMC, how you turn the Bosses into weapons, i'm guessing FF XVI will be similar.
I'll make some gifs and explain in just a bit.
thats because the battle director from dmcv is on it.

MagnesG

Banned
We honestly still don't know anything how the combat works, magic system, summon or does even have job system....we just have to see.

And it terms of art style it kind of reminds me of this....

I'm just saying that the boss fight footage certainly didn't wow me, and I'm not optimistic either with how FFVIIR was apparently their best presentation for great gameplay system, and FFXV was just, bad.
I'm okay with the art style, it's the cringy VA scripts that I have beefs with. We'll see.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
You can see the Obvious reused assets in this trailer.
Possibly, although I think that's more so the result from the very particular design sensibilities of the FFXIV team.
Naoki Yoshida
Hiroshi Takai
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the character designs were also done by Akihiko Yoshida & Kazuya Takahashi.

Whatever asset flip was in that trailer was left to minimal generic assists at best. This doesn't look 1:1 like FFXIV from technical point.
I think this could be running in UE4. If this were running in Luminous Engine I think that would've been stated like it was for Project Athia; as Luminous Productions are directly overseeing the development of Luminous Engine.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Possibly, although I think that's more so the result from the very particular design sensibilities of the FFXIV team.
Naoki Yoshida
Hiroshi Takai
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the character designs were also done by Akihiko Yoshida & Kazuya Takahashi.

Whatever asset flip was in that trailer was left to minimal generic assists at best. This doesn't look 1:1 like FFXIV from technical point.
I think this could be running in UE4. If this were running in Luminous Engine I think that would've been stated like it was for Project Athia; as Luminous Productions are directly overseeing the development of Luminous Engine.
It probably is Akihiko Yoshida. The designs don't really differ too much from the titles he's worked on. I don't know what engine it's on, but it definitely has nothing to do with XIV given the vast difference between the two titles and Yoshi-P talking about XIV's asset creations being done in a particular way which makes graphical upgrades a problem.

It has this particular look because Business Unit III has always aimed for that early classic FF look. XIV has it, as well.

Last edited:
Wasn’t impressed with this, the characters look generic as heck and I really wanted something like IX art style :(

also, anyone else think FF VII remake on PS4 pro looked better than this? I know it’s early days but I reckon this till come out on PS4 as well?

blackjon24

A new final fantasy is announced and the fans are not happy...what else is new lol

Game looks very interesting, I am excited to go back to the fantasy setting. I like the emphasis on action and hope there is a lot of party customization with different classes and all that. I feel very good about the series after recently playing ff7 remake and heavensward

Kumomeme

I'm sure there will be atleast party member. Atleast A.I like XV or Dragons Dogma. No way they not aware of it and considering dragons dogma designer invovled. Even in XIV there is A.I party member.

Also too early to jump on conlusion here. What we see just a 'glimpse' which is surely lot of things not been shown, like area, characters and stuff.

They did mention that big information is coming 2021 but considering there is TGS at end of this month, we probably can expect some kind of additional information, even small tidbits like interview from there for more insight.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

No, that isn't how that works and you clearly have no knowledge of japanese culture.

Danjin44

It was pretty good, but got repetitive AF in the last chapters. They certainly could improve upon it on the next Part though.
They could definitely improve the air combat....thats one of my biggest issue with its combat.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wasn't impressed..

It surprised how little the visuals have improved, considering we're talking about a brand new $400 console.

LarknThe4th

It looks a little rough, I think it might be because it's super early though

Anyway happy with the setting, one step closer to getting back to the GOAT setups of Medieval/Steampunk as shown in FF6 and FF9!

Madflavor

It was pretty good, but got repetitive AF in the last chapters. They certainly could improve upon it on the next Part though.

The combat imo was probably the best we've had in a very long time. It was like they finally figured out the more action oriented approach. Not saying the game was perfect, but when it was good, it was amazing.

MagnesG

Banned
They could definitely improve the air combat....thats one of my biggest issue with its combat.
I feel like I'm playing a Tales game at times. Not saying it's bad but the fatigue buildup is real for the next title.

The combat imo was probably the best we've had in a very long time. It was like they finally figured out the more action oriented approach. Not saying the game was perfect, but when it was good, it was amazing.
Let's just say that I was never been impressed with any kind of FF gameplay, it was always about the story.

Also when will this launch again?

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
What the trailer was desperately missing were some establishing shots, where the camera pans out and shows a city or landscape or something. As it is, the trailer felt kind of small, and confined, as if everything takes place in the same area.

Also, I just watched that Agnis Philosophy tech demo from 2012 (!) again, and man, that still looks so much better than this. I wish SE would've turned that into its next Final Fantasy. I had hoped the graphical fidelity we saw in that old tech demo would easily be achievable now that we're on PS5, but apparently not.

ZZZZ

I feel like I'm playing a Tales game at times. Not saying it's bad but the fatigue buildup is real for the next title.
No fatigue at all for me, one of the best combats in this gen. I just love the combos and skills so much.
It's like a CRPG combat but with great graphics and amazing animations.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Let's just say that I was never been impressed with any kind of FF gameplay, it was always about the story.

Also when will this launch again?

For FFVII:R Part 2 or XVI? We have no idea yet. But I think 2-3 years is a safe bet for both.

Kumomeme

What the trailer was desperately missing were some establishing shots, where the camera pans out and shows a city or landscape or something. As it is, the trailer felt kind of small, and confined, as if everything takes place in the same area.
Agreed on this part. Hopefully they give better trailer next time. Also assuming the concept art for the recruitment page is indeed for the game, the area we see probably something on the border or outskirt of the city. There is huge castle on top of hill.

yf9ymax0jkw31.jpg

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The kid Joshua is the Phoenix (as dialog flat out states out), who seems to get mad at a certain point in the story and wreck havoc. In contrast, the MC may or may not be the one who transforms into Ifrit and fights him right there. The game's logo also represents a battle between Phoenix and Ifrit, so it makes sense that the main character may be Ifrit instead of a third person. Then, at the ending portion of the trailer, we have an angry MC who's wishing to kill somebody, which I assume is the kid.

My personal theory is that the story's premise revolves around trying to kill that which cannot be killed (Phoenix is the summon of ressurrection), with the MC determined to find a way to do so. I'd also guess that, as Phoenix represents the healing/ ressurrection side of fire, Ifrit in the logo may represent its opposite, destruction. Therefore, Ifrit is trying to destroy that which can normally not be destroyed, while fighting fire with fire.

Last edited:

Illo

The more I watch the trailer the more I'm off put by how meh the graphics are. Especially compared to XV.

If its due for release next year, I hope that's enough time for that final polish. The characters and world just look so out of place graphically.

Music sounds great

Story seems... Interesting. I feel Game of Thrones/western vibes. I love the voice acting for everyone but the main character.
Overall what I'm picking from the plot seems very interesting as a story, you can tell they are going for awards story-wise.

Ifrit vs Phoenix. Fire vs. Fire. Love to hear all the theories.

SaniOYOYOY

Also, I just watched that Agnis Philosophy tech demo from 2012 (!) again, and man, that still looks so much better than this. I wish SE would've turned that into its next Final Fantasy. I had hoped the graphical fidelity we saw in that old tech demo would easily be achievable now that we're on PS5, but apparently not.
yeah very not-nomura ish

Alfen Dave

Looks like DMC V mashed up with The Witcher..

Theres something kinda generic and bland about it.
Then it also has a Berserk vibe which is great but I think the Souls series has topped the dark/edgy aspect of western fantasy.

Madflavor

When it comes to Final Fantasy for me it's:

Story > Gameplay > Music > Graphics.

Honestly I'm fine with the visuals. They look good, they just don't look "next gen", but honestly with the exception of Demon Souls, I felt that way from pretty much everything we've seen so far.

Halo0629

I'm thinking this is a 2021 or 2022 game, but I would gladly buy a ps5 just for this one. Also is it me or combat is more dmc than ff?

Top Bottom