• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Switch_Hitter

Neo Member

"The hegemony of crystals has controlled the destiny of the world for too long"

unknown.png

PC & PS5
Lead by Naoki Yoshida
Hiroshi Takai is directing
More information in 2021
The Summons, which are obviously making a comeback, seem to be tied to human avatars that can free them. A power that requires the presence of a protector and it is this protector that the player seems to have to embody in Final Fantasy XVI

00Ux22.png
00UbY9.png
00U5SC.png
00ciBr.png
00c8fb.png
00cW07.png
00cjYF.png
00UGw5.png

I bet you they will replace the blonde's model with Debra Wilson in the NA version.

mortal

Gold Member
Narratively that would be a weird move in the trailer. I gathered the two above were supposed to be enemies. It's like a parallel of the two targeting each other and then it cuts right after that to the logo with the Phoenix against the demon (that again, the kid summoned).

I definitely could be wrong. Just a theory.
Well they could very well be twin bothers for all I know. It's just that their facial features are nearly identical save for the difference in age.
Could possible have a set up to feature both a protagonist and a deuteragonist as playable characters.
Or maybe we're jumping back & forth between timelines.

I had to roll my eyes a bit at this. It was like Square saw the internet loved that Noctis aged with a little grit & beard, and just said 'yep'

I would put money that you are correct, they are the same character at different periods in time.
lol yea although gruffer male protagonist seems to be Naoki Yoshida's MO. Reminded of the male Hyur warrior in the CGI trailers for the FFXIV expansions.

feels like an old school FF but with a modern paint job
Strangely enough I'm getting heavy FF II vibes.

Last edited:

Shouta

This looks a lot better in 4k but the art style and some of the models are definitely very reminiscent of FF14 probably because of Yoshida. I definitely like the direction they're going but it definitely doesn't stoke the imagination like the other games did because it's so like 14 visually. I'm hoping the story is good though, having Summons/Avatars be at the center of the story would be great since they've been so sidelined in the single play FF games.

NeroDaGod

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Yeah the 3 Japanese Xbox gamers will be fuming.

Andodalf

Banned
This looks a lot better in 4k but the art style and some of the models are definitely very reminiscent of FF14 probably because of Yoshida. I definitely like the direction they're going but it definitely doesn't stoke the imagination like the other games did because it's so like 14 visually. I'm hoping the story is good though, having Summons/Avatars be at the center of the story would be great since they've been so sidelined in the single play FF games.

The Summons in FFXV were a huge part of the plot and pretty epic in gameplay

I had to roll my eyes a bit at this. It was like Square saw the internet loved that Noctis aged with a little grit & beard, and just said 'yep'

I would put money that you are correct, they are the same character at different periods in time.

Screams of being the same character. Face and nose is the same, just a bit older/younger on both of them. Earring as well. Hair color is same as well.

Myths

Well they could very well be twin bothers for all I know. It's just that their facial features are nearly identical save for the difference in age.
Could possible have a set up to feature both a protagonist and a deuteragonist as playable characters.
Or maybe we're jumping back & forth between timelines.

lol yea although gruffer male protagonist seems to be Naoki Yoshida's MO. Reminded of the male Hyur warrior in the CGI trailers for the FFXIV expansions.

Strangely enough I'm getting heavy FF II vibes.
I was thinking that too, the male Hyur. Also, that group talking about "the target" in the beginning looks like the unit from Kingsglaive. Getting a pilgrim colonial theme mixed with witchcraft persecution here.

Drautos.jpg
Yeah, the ringleader in the beginning definitely reminds me of him.

And then they bear markings on their face, a twist on Light Warriors/l'Cie yet again? Or, they are probably witches (mages). Those icons (summons) are probably what they can call forth as a unit/group?

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Takai is the one who helped with the relaunch of ARR as AD of FFXIV alongside the other expansions before signing off to direct this game. It's in good hands imo.

Also, I just realized the entire trailer was a timeskip. I thought it was a 2 Rival thing at the end, but it's just Punished Protag.

Shouta

The Summons in FFXV were a huge part of the plot and pretty epic in gameplay

Oh yeah, that's right. I keep pushing the plot of FF15 out of my memory. :lollipop_neutral: The encounter quality with them was all over the place though and I really wanted them to be in the story in the way like Alexander and Bahamut were in FF9 more so

Zephir

This has potential. Looks like they abandoned the traditional party system and all the battles they showed were 1v1.

The ff13 announcement only had lightning fighting solo (with a phony battle system, but that's another issue), so it's just a matter of waiting for more trailers, but i'm positive there will be other characters

MegaPanda

Narratively that would be a weird move in the trailer. I gathered the two above were supposed to be enemies. It's like a parallel of the two targeting each other and then it cuts right after that to the logo with the Phoenix against the demon (that again, the kid summoned).

I definitely could be wrong. Just a theory.

It looks like the kid heals the MC's hand earlier in the trailer, something better associated with Phoenix.
Its probably like,

MC is tasked to guard the kid.
Kingdom gets invaded by the Ifrit guy
MC fails his job, inherits Phoenix somehow, gets demoted (hence the appearance change w/ the tatoo)

mortal

Gold Member
I was thinking that too, the male Hyur. Also, that group talking about "the target" in the beginning looks like the unit from Kingsglaive. Getting a pilgrim colonial theme mixed with witchcraft persecution here.

Drautos.jpg
Yeah, the ringleader in the beginning definitely reminds me of him.

And then they bear markings on their face, a twist on Light Warriors/l'Cie yet again? Or, they are probably witches (mages). Those icons (summons) are probably what they can call forth as a unit/group?
Same, same.

Pilgram/colonial is an interesting way of describing it. Funnily enough I always imagined Colonial era Final Fantasy would've made for an ineteresting setting.
This really feels like a lovechild of FFXIV & FFXV, yet at the same time feels reminiscent of pre-FFVII old school Final Fantasy.

I wasn't really all that blown away upon seeing it initially, but the more I rewatch the trailer, the more I want to see.

Last edited:

Okamiden

why it looks so shit tho? For a long time I thought this is FFXIV for PS5. FF VII Remake looks more impressive than that.

Aggelos

90% sure it's UE4.

Why?
Project Athia is a Luminous Engine project/game.

Aside from Project Athia, the site lists another AAA-scope game. I would bet my shirt that FF16 is running on Luminous Engine.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
went through the trailer, is it an all male cast again, what the fucking fuck...
gayyyy

when does this come out 2027?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Hmmm something looks a little off here 🤔

The combat gameplay will be awesome no doubt, SE has been learning a lot and with DMC5 designers working on this im sure it will be fine, and writting should be decent character models look rough but they should improve.

BUT, idk the world just doesn't look..unique? Art looks a little drab, medieval fantasy tropes full at play here, its only the first trailer but i don't give a shit about what the characters were saying, it just not original i feel like they are taking inspiration from Witcher and Dark Souls, its not really exciting FOR a new FF game to me,im sure its gonna be high quality, but heck the new HARRY POTTER game looked more exciting than a Final Fantasy im not hyped yet

John Day

"The hegemony of crystals has controlled the destiny of the world for too long"

unknown.png

PC & PS5
Lead by Naoki Yoshida
Hiroshi Takai is directing
More information in 2021
The Summons, which are obviously making a comeback, seem to be tied to human avatars that can free them. A power that requires the presence of a protector and it is this protector that the player seems to have to embody in Final Fantasy XVI

00Ux22.png
00UbY9.png
00U5SC.png
00ciBr.png
00c8fb.png
00cW07.png
00cjYF.png
00UGw5.png

Man that stream is doing a number on many, cause those screens look awesome. Have high hopes for it, but i’ll be patient. Loving this!

Kev Kev

looks great, but ive been burned by square too many times.

i'll get around to playing it whenever, but im not going to go out of my way. to help keep my hype level down, im not going to follow the game very closely. ill watch the trailers and maybe check out a little here and there, but not borderline obsessing over it. i think doing all that will give me the best chance at really loving FF again.

i will say the less techno and more medieval is a huge, huge welcome from me. i was very happy to see it be less futuristic or techy or whatever that shit aesthetic is.

heres to hoping 🤞

Antitype

Well....shit.

It's starting to look like NieR:Automata where SE went radio silent on the PC version despite having announced it before. The way they worded their answer, there's definitely a PC version coming. Maybe 6 months later, or day and date, they're just not going to announce it. I mean, that sounds really dumb, but they already have a history of this kind of BS, so I would not be surprised.

ZZZZ

Why?
Project Athia is a Luminous Engine project/game.

Aside from Project Athia, the site lists another AAA-scope game. I would bet my shirt that FF16 is running on Luminous Engine.

My guess is that the team from Luminous is working on Athia, and i don't think they want another group to learn their ways with it, most of the problems with XV dev cycle was due to the engine.
This is part of XIV group that's making XVI, pretty sure they want to go with UE4 here.
Maybe it's just me, but the eyes and some models in general just screams UE4 to me.

synce

No part of that looked like FF to me. People saying it's classic FF must be confused, unless you're talking about the generic as AF early EARLY FF games. Everything that actually made the series popular was missing from this trailer, and aesthetically it couldn't look more generic. But it has chocobos so I guess it's FF.

I think these two might be the same person. The demon the kid (Joshua) summons and the phoenix of the main character are facing each other in the logo.

image.png
Early in the trailer we can see Joshua sort of "gifting" the protagonist with the power of fire magic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "I'll kill you" line at the end is directed at Joshua who would become the villain post-timeskip.

went through the trailer, is it an all male cast again, what the fucking fuck...
gayyyy

when does this come out 2027?
There's nothing that confirms the cast is going to be fully male. The guys with the protagonist at the start of the trailer look too bland and similar to each other to be the main cast, whereas the four bros in FFXV have a lot of individuality in their clothes and overall design.

I can see the young girl and the blonde who smokes becoming part of the cast at some point. That is, if this isn't a single-character game.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I am really looking forward to this. FFXV was good but suffered from a troubled development. FFVII Remake was amazing and perfected many thing like the combat introduced in XV. To think of what they can do when focused on a single project with everything they learned.

I’m replaying FFXV because of this hype. Big anticipation!

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
So I'm not sold on FFXVI, I think it looks by far the blandest Final Fantasy I've ever seen, basically Game of Throne x FF.

However for combat I see they're going the DMC way, even ripping-off the DMC way which I could be happy with, but art direction wise, damn it's worse than FFXV which somewhat bland.

Aggelos

My guess is that the team from Luminous is working on Athia, and i don't think they want another group to learn their ways with it, most of the problems with XV dev cycle was due to the engine.
This is part of XIV group that's making XVI, pretty sure they want to go with UE4 here.
Maybe it's just me, but the eyes and some models in general just screams UE4 to me.

Despite the reports of the Luminous Engine being cumbersome, unwieldy, and clunky to work with, all those engines are amazing, so no need to fall at odds here.
I was just saying that Square-Enix still seems to be backing up the Luminous Engine, with Project Athia (instead of abandoning it completely in favor of the super popular Unreal Engine)

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Despite the reports of the Luminous Engine being cumbersome, unwieldy, and clunky to work with, all those engines are amazing, so no need to fall at odds here.
I was just saying that Square-Enix still seems to be backing up the Luminous Engine, with Project Athia (instead of abandoning it completely in favor of the super popular Unreal Engine)
Of course but that team has been working on it for over a decade now, the FFXVI has 0 experience with it.

Lethal01

I suppose from this point I will just view mainline Final Fantasy As a character action series but I really wish they had gone with soemthing like FFVII. That system is almost perfect.

Still, I've been saying for ages I we Need more DMC-like games.

Handel

Apparently the Battle Director is the guy who designed Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon Dogma's combat, so that and Yoshi-P producing are reason enough for me to be 100% in.

Yet Dragon's Dogma has the best gameplay in any ARPG, while this looks like hot trash. Could improve, and learning he is working on it gives some hope, but without Itsuno this guy may not be worth much.

ZZZZ

Going for a hot take here.
This game is going to release before the Fiscal year ending march-april 2022.

I expect this game to get a late 2021 release or 1Q 2022.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a UE4 game, if it's Luminous i expect a PS6 release :messenger_beaming: .

Last edited:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Horseshit! When Squaresoft left Nintendo, and started releasing not just FF but also all of their 1st party games (Kingdom Hearts) exclusively to Sony, did the Japanese stop buying Squaresoft's games? I didn't think so.

Top Bottom