• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Bkdk

I wouldn’t be surprised they were originally making another 14 expansion, however the remake is taking much longer than expected to complete, With Sony paying them more money for 16 as timed exclusive, They just turned this into 16. Only upside is it will take far less time to complete since it’s already quite far into development.

Am I the only one who thinks this game looks like its reusing a lot of assets from FF14?
They had been doing this ever since FF2. If anything, them not reusing assets was when the story started going down hill.

I never been more bored from a FF reveal trailer in my life. It has no resemblance to anything FF besides some chocobos and summons. I know all FF have different settings and designs, but this feels like a whole different IP.
What are you on about? This setting is practically lifted right out of FF6. If anything despite visual similarities with FF15, the setting could probably be transposed from the SNES days. Crystal powered kingdoms, summons, knights being knights.

The SNES art style would probably never return, but the setting is way familiar for those who remember.

Last edited:
I don't know why they think anyone liked FFXV style combat. Ugh.

It looks ok I guess but I'm not surprised they have no idea what to do next for FFVII remake. I bet it's abandoned now.

Wish it would have been turnbased, wish for better hairstyles for the mc's. Otherwise I am pretty hyped. First ff that wasn't in dev hell since X

Reactions: Fuz

SaniOYOYOY

honestly ill play any modern non mmo mainline ff.....
but thank god ARPG, after xv and 7r it is clearly the way. Ill die on this hill

story wise reminds me of sekiro somehow
combat we need to see more, but it looked like bloodborne x ffxv with more magic to me

Last edited:

Myths

I wouldn’t be surprised they were originally making another 14 expansion, however the remake is taking much longer than expected to complete, With Sony paying them more money for 16 as timed exclusive, They just turned this into 16. Only upside is it will take far less time to complete since it’s already quite far into development.
That’s what this looks like here, a quick exchange of bucks while pulling FFXIV assets.

It didn't look that interesting to me. It certainly didn't blow me away the way the FF13 reveal did back in the day. I'll wait for a gameplay trailer later down the road, maybe that will change my opinion.

Mojo1990

Very Disappointed 😔

Honestly thought it was a FF14 expansion.

Didn't have the gravitas or polish I was expecting from a next Gen numbered title. How long have they been developing this?

- NPC characters looked subpar & generic.
- Lip syncing was awful.
- Witcher vibe (western/generic).
- No band of characters going on an adventure.
- Graphics seemed odd and poor.
- Reused assets from FF15 (the summons)
- Likely using Luminous Engine.
- Main Character looks okay I guess (reminiscent of FF14)
- They didn't show much diversity of monsters or environment.
- I'm getting FF15 flashbacks. Where the landscape turned out to be disappointing and limited.

- Combat in the grassy area was good though & the fire breathing dragon face off against the phenix was cool.

Aggelos

It's not being directed by Tetsuya Nomura so it should at least be decent.

What if it was directed by Nomura?

My guess is that Nomura will be busy for quite some years to come, with the episodes of FF7 Remake (and so will Kitase for that matter). And assuming that the rant and rave for a 4th Kingdom Hearts will pester Square-Enix's front door for sure (or already has...), I don't see Nomura directing another canon Final Fantasy game for more than a decade or so. The only way for him to be involved, is by doing the character design.

Elysion

Banned
I agree with those who said it looked like a FF14 expansion at first; I thought the same. It also looked kind of generic. Compared to the reveal trailers of FF 13 and FF 15, this was downright boring. No epic or whimsical environments, bland art style, no iconic character designs. That had to be the most boring looking characters in the history of the franchise.

I'm also surprised how unimpressive it looked. The character models look straight up current gen. Final Fantasy games have usually been technical showcases; if one were to make lists of the best looking games each generation, FF games would most likely make into the top ten. But this...

And the combat looked like straight up DMC or something. I had hoped that they would take some clues from the FF 7 remake.

This trailer made me feel nothing. There's nothing that made me want to explore the world, or find out about the setting and lore. It might as well have been a trailer for Dragon Age or something.

DJT123

FFXV omnishambles combat and not such great looks I can live with. Just give me a great story, great characters, consistency and a world I can get immersed in. <- That's the real worry about new FF games.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I doubt that's the case here. Luminous Engine is being handled by the recently formed studio Luminous Productions. They're developing the new IP Project Athia.
This is either UE4 or a newer version of Crystal Tools.

Last edited:

O-N-E

I think these two might be the same person. The demon the kid (Joshua) summons and the phoenix of the main character are facing each other in the logo.

image.png

Setzer

Really don't give a shit if the graphics don't look good enough to be next-gen. Just give me a good story, characters and combat and I'll be happy. Those take much more precedence for me than visuals.

Already people on RetardEra complaining about the lack of female characters/protagonist and too many white people. Because those are the things that truly make a game great.

Myths

I doubt that's the case here. Luminous Engine is being handled by the recently formed studio Luminous Productions. They're developing the new IP Project Athia.
This is either UE4 or a newer version of Crystal Tools.
Crystal Tools, what a tragedy that was. For them to even get anywhere near that engine with a stick is a nightmare.

Whatever the case, this isn’t passing as next gen visually. That aside, I,m interested in all other aspects which could still make it strong as a game and entry.

BoxFresh123

Last time I saw the sales ratio for FF games PS to XBox doesn't surprise me that Square were happy to take whatever Sony offered to make this timed .

mortal

Gold Member
UE4. Those are Tekken 7 eyes!
ha yea I can see the resemblance now that you mention it.

I think these two might be the same person. The demon the kid (Joshua) summons and the phoenix of the main character are facing each other in the logo.

image.png
Really?

If anything I think it's implied that this is the same character (not that it wasn't already obvious lol)
RjTPTph.jpg
50350257182_f99bbea1b9_k.jpg

SilentUser

Very Disappointed 😔

Honestly thought it was a FF14 expansion.

Didn't have the gravitas or polish I was expecting from a next Gen numbered title. How long have they been developing this?

- NPC characters looked subpar & generic.
- Lip syncing was awful.
- Witcher vibe (western/generic).
- No band of characters going on an adventure.
- Graphics seemed odd and poor.
- Reused assets from FF15 (the summons)
- Main Character looks okay I guess (reminiscent of FF14)
- They didn't show much diversity of monsters or environment.
- I'm getting FF15 flashbacks. Where the landscape turned out to be disappointing and limited.

- Combat in the grassy area was good though & the fire breathing dragon face off against the phenix was cool.
I'm with you here. I was in serious doubt at the beginning thinking this was a new FFXIV expansion, but no... it had to be FFXVI. What the hell are they doing?! Where are the diversified group that it was always related to Final Fantasy (which FFXV destroyed with that bad group).

Batiman

Banned
They had been doing this ever since FF2. If anything, them not reusing assets was when the story started going down hill.

What are you on about? This setting is practically lifted right out of FF6. If anything despite visual similarities with FF15, the setting could probably be transposed from the SNES days. Crystal powered kingdoms, summons, knights being knights.

The SNES art style would probably never return, but the setting is way familiar for those who remember.
FF6 had a much more unique world than what this looks like. This looks like an average medieval game with a touch of anime. I hated 15 but even that game had its own look.

O-N-E

If anything I think it's implied that this is the same character (not that it wasn't already obvious lol)
RjTPTph.jpg

Narratively that would be a weird move in the trailer. I gathered the two above were supposed to be enemies. It's like a parallel of the two targeting each other and then it cuts right after that to the logo with the Phoenix against the demon (that again, the kid summoned).

I definitely could be wrong. Just a theory.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Art direction going for my high fantasy rather than "fantasy based reality" like in FFXV was great idea. I also already made peace with the fact SE no longer going make turned based mainline FF but at least I still have Bravely and Dragon Quest for that.

Bombolone

Gold Member
ha yea I can see the resemblance now that you mention it.

Really?

RjTPTph.jpg

I had to roll my eyes a bit at this. It was like Square saw the internet loved that Noctis aged with a little grit & beard, and just said 'yep'

I would put money that you are correct, they are the same character at different periods in time.

Top Bottom