• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI environments and exploration trailer released

BootsLoader

Banned
Greys Anatomy Drama GIF by ABC Network

season 5 eye roll GIF by Portlandia

Season 7 Nbc GIF by One Chicago
Introducing to you, same old sh**t.

Klosshufvud

God some of those burning questions are super pathetic especially the dark one!!

Seriously some fans need to get a grip on reality.

I appreciate them answering but it's must suck for devs to please these super annoying Giga nerds
Are they even real? They sound like bastardizations of what some are saying online. Only presented in a super dumb format as a passive aggressive way of ridiculing criticism.

1679822209721109.jpg

Even if they were real, nobody is forcing them to pay heed but themselves. I have a hard time imagining someone like Miyazaki going about this the way they are.

Fbh

Man, to think SquareSoft used to put so much effort in their art direction.
It always looked different from everything else in the market.

toq4RBVnfI6UK4BIHLXzvXakuhCjd8X6zMI-spvdhCQ.jpg

EufOogiWgAIaDd0

5694751-final-fantasy-ix-hd-wallpapers.jpg

I love the ps1 era of Square and I'm all for bringing back pre rendered backgrounds, but a big reason why these look so unique and good is that they are basically paintings.

If you turned Arni Village into a full 3D environment it wouldn't look that unique. Same with the last picture.

The world of XVI also looks nicer as a painting.
5akyq5w3t1w51.png

Why are you comparing with X?

Minagawa had nothing to do with X. If you compare to past FF, you compare to Tactics, Vagrant Story, XII, because those are the games the team has actually worked on. He and his games have never been one for too otherworldly designs, more medival in overall style (Except for endgame areas). Different targets, different priorities. And he's been doing that for over 30 years. Ditto for his team, you wouldn't expect the ex-Ivalice/Matsuno team to suddenly develop FFX.

I only agree in the sense that color is too subdued. Otherwise, your expectations were misplaced in the first place.
The problem with your post is even if I were to compare it to FF XII, Tactics, or Vagrant Story, all 3 of those games had a unique art style and identity. Again, I don’t see that with this game. So far it looks very, very subdued artistically.

Does this mean I won’t like it? No, I think I’ll like FF16 a lot. There are a lot of things it does that just looks plain cool. My only concern is them being too restrained artistically to try and match an image of what they deem as the public taking FF seriously. Ripping away that unique style from things, like the uniqueness of Ivalice for example, isn’t the way to do it.

Edit: Something that sucks is that there are too many people coming in here making drive by posts about how bad the game looks(without elaboration) or they’re coming in trolling. It makes it difficult for those of us here who are legitimately trying to critique what we’re seeing, if we’re all being grouped up with those guys.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I love the ps1 era of Square and I'm all for bringing back pre rendered backgrounds, but a big reason why these look so unique and good is that they are basically paintings.

If you turned Arni Village into a full 3D environment it wouldn't look that unique. Same with the last picture.

This is why I'm in the camp that making everything fully 3D was a mistake. Especially for Final Fantasy. Fixed camera angles had massive benefits. Especially to RPGs that thrive on set pieces, immersion and spectacle. It allowed the devs to forge some truly unforgettable scenes for the players, they now are unable to. Full 3D backgrounds just doesn't age as well as compared to the fixed 2D renders. I sometimes wonder just how much all the insane asset creation is hogging up development resources. Would we have had multiple mainline FF games a gen again if they didn't go so overboard with asset creation?

Reactions: Fbh

Teslerum

5akyq5w3t1w51.png

I agree , but honestly this location looks fine in game.

Untitled.jpg

Again, colours too subdued, but otherwise.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

They claim "exploration" but I didn't see him exploring anything. No chests, no puzzles, no hidden areas, no items, no checking behind that thing, no ledge to jump up to and find an item, just one battle after another.

It's nice that they have open areas, but if it's just a vehicle for more combat then I think that's really disappointing. Square needs to practice some verticality in it's game design. Hide a chest up in that big structure. Have a ledge or ladder to climb that leads to an area that wasn't plainly visible. Put a simple puzzle here and there. Give the player a reason to investigate the beautiful game world you designed.

This is simple RPG stuff that they have been ignoring since FF9 and it's utterly baffling that they think players want a straight forward, combat only experience, with some cut scenes in between.
Then again I’m going through FFVIO Remake and the level design there is terrible, one long corridor leading from point A to point B.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Very inconsistent. Some parts look ok, but then,

this looks (legitimately) ps3 era:

untitled1if63.png

Looks super empty too, and combat just looks flashy. Getting forespoken vibes.
Yeah. It’s the product of using their engine that has its roots running on PS3 since they needed to fulfill their promise of releasing FFXIV on that console when they rebuilt the game as A Realm Reborn. The level of detail and pop-in is similar to FFXIV based on the footage.

At the very least, the game will run at 60 fps in performance mode at 1440p on PS5, as FFXIV has shown. But yeah, the water still looks like jello under this engine.

I wouldn’t worry about the game being like Forspoken though, certainly not in the writing department.

Edit: Something that sucks is that there are too many people coming in here making drive by posts about how bad the game looks(without elaboration) or they’re coming in trolling. It makes it difficult for those of us here who are legitimately trying to critique what we’re seeing, if we’re all being grouped up with those guys.
People troll everywhere. I find the hyper sensitivity just as annoying. I was just giving an honest reaction to what I saw. Period. I shouldn't have to explain that its not "copium," since you know ... I have a PS5 and I'm getting this game. Shouldnt have to explain that I've played the series since part 1 and the fact that its on a Playstation is largely irrelevant to me and that it has literally nothing to do with console wars. Just literally discussing the environments. Honestly not even fun to talk about the game when people feel the need to attack you personally for having an opinion.

If you love the environments then great. I'm happy for you. I'm not going to quote reply people to tell them they're stupid or wrong for liking it. Its their personal opinion. Doesn't even affect me.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Full panel uploaded with the new footage in slightly higher quality:

Yoshi P is so affable. Besides his great work ethic, I can see why so many FF fans admire him.
The dynamic between Yoshi P and Koji Fox was very enjoyable. The whole presentation felt very causal and natural.

Although I do enjoy the very condensed style of "directs", this more sitting on a comfy chair or couch and gaming to a live audience format will always be a personal favorite.
It's a rather intimate way to show off your game with an audience imo. Evokes a similar feeling to when you're just hanging out and gaming with some friends that like watching.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

5akyq5w3t1w51.png
The art team for FFXVI killed it. I love how much of the concept art looks like it's been painted in a period-appropriate style.
I love this return to Eurasian high fantasy in single-player. Imo, the FF entries with the best art design are the ones that show inspired use of cultural periods from human history.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really curious, for the folks who are wowed by this (and not being wowed does not mean the game looks bad; just go ahead and pre-empt those kneejerk replies), why it is shocking for someone else to be not at all impressed with what is on offer here. I've always felt that this looked like a "next generation" version of FFXIV (you can see this ESPECIALLY in how they detail the faces, particularly of the MC - has that sharp angular quality that FFXIV has; same with the general aesthetic approach to character modeling), and nothing in this trailer - that really is going to set people up to think this is an open world - has changed my mind about it.

. . .still waiting on more deep dives into the combat and whether the story is worth this marked change in expectation (although to be fair, so was FFXV) of what a "Final Fantasy" game should be.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
These games were very focused. Not linear but you always had a great time. Old games, when they opened up they used to give you a air Ship to explore.

Not even a minute wasted of 40 hrs of play through. That's why they are so beloved.

This new one, I dunno how engaging it will be while traversing huge environments. Combat will make or break it I think, since SE doesn't put too much interesting stuff to break monotony.

Graphically it looks nice.
I like that you've used the word "focused" instead of "linear".
At the end of the day, even those "open world" games are very linear as well, for as much as some people don't want to admit.
Plus, focused games have less filler crap in-between.

Outsourcing.

That's the word you're looking for. Outsourcing of art assets is the norm now, and that is exactly who so many games look alike and have similar art styles. Modern FF games literally have enemies from a "Monster Asset pack" completely unchanged.
I agree with you, but I think that even with oursourcing you can have some control over how things look.

Just look at a game like BOTW, some things are outsourced but they still manage to keep things distinct and consistent

I assume Square-Enix just doesn't care at this point.
They probably hire the cheapest ones to save money and assume people won't notice or care.
And you know what? Judging by the comments here, maybe they're right after all!

oji-san

Banned
I think i'm going to like this, it's the most attractive FF so far for me (only played some XV and 7R), i like the MC design and armor, also doggy.

jm89

Very inconsistent. Some parts look ok, but then,

this looks (legitimately) ps3 era:

untitled1if63.png

Looks super empty too, and combat just looks flashy. Getting forespoken vibes.
You just posted an image far from a distance. Do you know what game developers do with assets when you are far away?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
People troll everywhere. I find the hyper sensitivity just as annoying. I was just giving an honest reaction to what I saw. Period. I shouldn't have to explain that its not "copium,"
I know how you feel. Pay those people no attention.
Although I heavily dislike what Square-Enix has been doing to the franchise, I'm not going to try to stop other people from enjoying it.
My opinions come from the expectation that Square-Enix could do better, had them not been blinded by money.

Some people feel personally attacked when they see contrary opinion to theirs, and I suppose that just exposes how insecure some of them are.
I mean, if someone think they'll enjoy the game, they should just buy the game and have fun.
They shouldn't seek external validation and silence others in order for their enjoyment to feel "true".

gothmog

Gold Member
Mehhh looks pretty underwhelming really.

I cant be the only one?
I don't give a shit how it looks as long as it plays well and is well written. That said it is generic. Hopefully that works in it's favor focusing on story and gameplay over visual spectacle. It's been almost two decades of focus on graphics and setting. I'm over it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
You just posted an image far from a distance. Do you know what game developers do with assets when you are far away?
In this circumstance, the criticism is accurate. They didn’t say the whole game looks PS3 quality, just parts of it. That screenshot is a good example of the engine at its worst. Anyone who plays FFXIV (I do) is very familiar with this team’s engine. There are level of detail issues where terrain at very great distances is extremely pixelated and low resolution in order to ensure the framerate stays high. And it makes sense, because in an MMO, you have a lot of player characters and monsters onscreen at one time, and priority needs to be given to rendering them as opposed to something far in the distance that has no bearing on the gameplay.

It’s not a huge deal, but there are moments where the engine shows issues. Hell, in FFXIV there are running memes and jokes when the engine limitations are super obvious. That’s what’s led to nicknames such as the “Pixel Exarch” due to the low resolution textures on areas of a major character’s character model. There was also the grapes incident in the latest expansion which ended up getting fixed later. FFXIV is beloved by the majority of folks who play it, and any criticism comes from a place of love. When it looks bad, it’s called out.

FFXVI’s going to be a blast and I am here for it. Have been for months. But when one of the babies is ugly, I’m going to acknowledge it as ugly no matter how many of the other babies look fine. The detail in the extreme far off distance is noticeably ugly. It doesn’t really matter to me just as it hasn’t in FFXIV that I’ve been playing for years, especially since I would rather have my 60 fps performance. But it IS ugly.

jm89

In this circumstance, the criticism is accurate. They didn’t say the whole game looks PS3 quality, just parts of it.
I just find it bizarre how people are using graphics quality at such far distance to make any judgements. You rareley ever see this used as a criticism of a games graphics quality in discourse.

Sure it can be used as a criticism but the most of the time you really see it is when digital foundry are really trying to find differences between consoles and different modes.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I just find it bizarre how people are using graphics quality at a distance to make any judgements. You rareley ever see this used as a criticism of a games graphics quality in discourse on forums.

Sure it can be used as a criticism but the most of the time you really see it is when digital foundry are really trying to find differences between consoles and different modes.
The problem is that screenshot is from a sequence in an official trailer made by the development team showcasing the game’s landscapes. The intent was to show the scale of the locales, but it also opened themselves up to valid criticism. The forest shots look great. The character models look good. The team has done an amazing job IMO, on translating their art to game assets. I think the whole package is going to blow minds this summer. That mountain range though? That’s honestly PS3 quality. It looks really bad. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, which also has a similar problem with the level of detail.

In a time where Unreal Engine 5 is being showcased, the differences are quite stark. I think it’s valid to be honest about it.

Last edited:

jm89

The problem is that screenshot is from a sequence in an official trailer made by the development team showcasing the game’s landscapes. The intent was to show the scale of the locales, but it also opened themselves up to valid criticism. The forest shots look great. The character models look good. The team has done an amazing job IMO, on translating their art to game assets. I think the whole package is going to blow minds this summer. That mountain range though? That’s honestly PS3 quality. It looks really bad. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, which also has a similar problem with the level of detail.

In a time where Unreal Engine 5 is being showcased, the differences are quite stark. I think it’s valid to be honest about it.
So what quality should the assets be at that far distance? Ps5 quality?

Looks amazing, both technically and artistically, though the combat scenes seem too exaggerated and confusing. I could bet my money that this will be a huge success and finally put FF back on track. They seem to be doing a lot of things right this time.

Meicyn

Gold Member
So what quality should the assets be at that far distance? Ps5 quality?
I’m not the developer, I’m just a customer that is honest about what I see. If you’re going to have a shot showcasing your game as pushing the graphical boundaries of the hardware, maybe don’t include a shot that makes your low-res mountains in the distance really obvious?

I mean, I love FFXIV and have played it for years. It’s running on the same engine. Here is a screenshot from their latest expansion, from a major story cutscene:

xJHkGYg.jpg

Personally, I find this pretty unacceptable. Their lighting system is awful to the point where you can’t even see my character’s face (he is admittedly dark skinned). Like, how did this pass QA? None of the lighting makes any sense, nothing is casting a shadow, furniture or otherwise. The camera being up so close, a directorial choice, emphasizes the low resolution textures on the NPC’s back. You can do a lot to make this shot not look terrible, like I dunno, having a light source somewhere where the characters aren’t lit like this? Engine limitations are a thing, and you work around them as best you can. They def didn’t do themselves any favors here.

I know there’s lots of drive-by posting when it comes to FFXVI. Look at my post history if you’d like, I was defending against naysayers months ago on the subject of this game, and I’ve been onboard this game since day one. But now, there’s a defense force brewing where even valid criticisms are being shut down. I think it’s a bit silly in both situations.

Last edited:

jm89

I’m not the developer, I’m just a customer that is honest about what I see. If you’re going to have a shot showcasing your game as pushing the graphical boundaries of the hardware, maybe don’t include a shot that makes your low-res mountains in the distance really obvious?
How do you make it less obvious? Other then not show it all. There is nothing wrong with having low asset quality from that far distance. Sure you could argue maybe they should have not shown that if the intent was to only showcase the graphics and in the bets light as possible.

If you see who i replied to they mentioned "very inconsistent" compared to what? the asset quality you see infront of the character? Absurd.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Very pretty. However if it plays at all like all the FFs after X, I'm not touching it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I mean, I love FFXIV and have played it for years. It’s running on the same engine. Here is a screenshot from their latest expansion, from a major story cutscene:

xJHkGYg.jpg

Personally, I find this pretty unacceptable. Their lighting system is awful to the point where you can’t even see my character’s face (he is admittedly dark skinned). Like, how did this pass QA? None of the lighting makes any sense, nothing is casting a shadow, furniture or otherwise. The camera being up so close, a directorial choice, emphasizes the low resolution textures on the NPC’s back. You can do a lot to make this shot not look terrible, like I dunno, having a light source somewhere where the characters aren’t lit like this? Engine limitations are a thing, and you work around them as best you can. They def didn’t do themselves any favors here.

I know there’s lots of drive-by posting when it comes to FFXVI. Look at my post history if you’d like, I was defending against naysayers months ago on the subject of this game, and I’ve been onboard this game since day one. But now, there’s a defense force brewing where even valid criticisms are being shut down. I think it’s a bit silly in both situations.

THere are valid criticisms to be made. What you are doing and defending is not really "valid" as it is beyond nitpicky and outright false at times.

Nothing is akin to PS3 levels in any of the gameplay or screenshots they have shown. At *most* it is PS4 level. The screenshot you used for FFXIV is just another example of disingenuous arguments.

Try again, maybe this time be a little bit more honest and less hyperbolic.

Top Bottom