• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Old fashion “screenshots” for nostalgic players like me…
Jokes aside with the correct HDR settings this game is a visual marvel! My opinion after tuning the settings changed radically about the way it looks. Mind blowing.
Eb7W0sh.jpg
H2vrfEp.jpg
2X7w82G.jpg
HXRFpyk.jpg
DxiDMJM.jpg

Is this an oled? Do you mind sharing your settings?

Quantum253

Jokes aside with the correct HDR settings this game is a visual marvel! My opinion after tuning the settings changed radically about the way it looks. Mind blowing.
Eb7W0sh.jpg
H2vrfEp.jpg
2X7w82G.jpg
HXRFpyk.jpg
DxiDMJM.jpg
I spent some time trying to mess around with image settings. I'm sure there's some calibration done. So what are the "correct" HDR settings to make things look like they should? I kept getting things looking blue, but the armor does have this overall bluish green tone to it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is this an oled? Do you mind sharing your settings?

Yes no problem. Mind it's not the latest on the market but it's a decent LG C9.

What would you like to know? It's all pretty basic stuff, didn't go too deep. I started from the settings suggested on LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings - RTINGS.com years ago and now mixed them up together with what this guy suggests here for FFXVI:

From there I made sure then, at least for this game, to move away from HGIG and into DTM once I calibrated the Ps5 HDR settings brightness on the system once more. Then inside the game video options I lowered the game's brightness down to 2.

For me it's quite an huge change from the previous setup.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So what do you all think? If the real game is as good, will it be able to beat zelda this year?
It is gonna massacre tokt in terms of story, characters, combat, graphic and boss fights but it's gonna be hard to beat tokt for the goty.

Last edited:

Perfo

Y5b9cj3.png

lol ok

You need to time your attack with their attack. It's quite challenging to get right. Sometimes you can easily see the timing, other times not so much.
Wait, you also parry by holding O when you have Titan equipped. That's the standard parry move. Attack vs Attack is way more harder to execute!

Last edited:

vpance

Up until this moment in the game there has been only one eikon of fire at a time. The Lord Commander specifically expresses shock when Ifrit is revealed, exclaiming “second eikon of fire? That’s impossible”. Her contempt is consistent with what the in-game characters know about their world at that point. So for her, with Joshua being Phoenix, Clive is ”worthless” because the perceived single slot for eikon of fire has been taken.

Thanks. Going to go back for another playthrough to read some the notes I missed too.

Whatever the case is they are painting Anabella as a flat out psycho. Didn't even bat an eye after finding out about Joshua after the fight. I hope it's not just logical inconsistencies.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

What would you like to know? It's all pretty basic stuff, didn't go too deep. I started from the settings suggested on LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings - RTINGS.com years ago and now mixed them up together with what this guy suggests here for FFXVI:

From there I made sure then, at least for this game, to move away from HGIG and into DTM once I calibrated the Ps5 HDR settings brightness on the system once more. Then inside the game video options I lowered the game's brightness down to 2.

Thanks I'm going to test this out now during my lunch break because I did notice lighting appeared somewhat muted during my playthrough and your screenshots appear much more vivid.

Teslerum

Thanks. Going to go back for another playthrough to read some the notes I missed too.

Whatever the case is they are painting Benedikta as a flat out psycho. Didn't even bat an eye after finding out about Joshua after the fight. I hope it's not just logical inconsistencies.
Benedikta is the women from the intro. The Duchess name is Anabella. Different charachters.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Eb7W0sh.jpg
H2vrfEp.jpg
2X7w82G.jpg
HXRFpyk.jpg
DxiDMJM.jpg

One of the best HDR implementation and it uses PS settings so you dont have to do shit if you have it set up correctly and looks gorgeous

GymWolf

Gold Member
Put me on the boat of who didn't had problems with the hdr.

The blur has to go tho, it must be one of the worse implementation i ever seen in recent times.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Eb7W0sh.jpg

Yeah default HDR looks great
1912MzS.jpg
why do both of you guys have that damn light on in the back? Make it all dark.

would you want neon lights in the movie theaters?

rofif

Banned

It's only light strip behind my pc. it's very dim and pretty good for the eyes.
I do turn off when I play late at night.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Lol if that triggers you, never google philips ambilight and people woo play with that shit turned on if you don't wanna have multiple strokes:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
maxresdefault-6.jpg

I feel like it was an idea that could've worked. The whole "boys on a roadtrip" is a cool concept for a FF game. But they made them as visually bland as possible, and none of them were particularly memorable. Noctis was a decent enough protagonist, but the storytelling wasn't good enough to serve his character and allow him to shine. I beat the game once and never looked back.
I agree. My main issue with 15 was that the writing and presentation were all over the place, and when things started to get very serious it was too late for me to care.

I still don’t know how any fans of 15 thought it had an amazing story. It had amazing concepts, but the execution was severely lacking.

Meicyn

Gold Member

A properly configured backlight improves how your eyes perceive the visuals of your TV and reduces eye strain in a dark room.

I recommend the Medialight Mk2, the lights are 6500K which is ideal. Most LED strips have cooler temp lighting which looks meh.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I agree. My main issue with 15 was that the writing and presentation were all over the place, and when things started to get very serious it was too late for me to care.

I still don’t know how any fans of 15 thought it had an amazing story. It had amazing concepts, but the execution was severely lacking.
Same.

The writing, presentation, how disjointed the story was, the automated combat, the absolute lack of challenge, the boring open world, the bottor tier sidequest...

Wait...

wvnative

Can someone tell me if i'm doing something wrong during the Phoenix vs Eikon of Fire battle?

Despite pounding him, his health isn't low enough at the end to finish him off before the time limit. It's not a huge deal as the checkpoint reduces his HP to the required amount, but I'd really like to get him in one go without using the checkpoint.

Perfo

It improves contrast and visibility 😜
It’s an eye trick or course but our dumb brain makes it work as such!

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Can someone tell me if i'm doing something wrong during the Phoenix vs Eikon of Fire battle?

Despite pounding him, his health isn't low enough at the end to finish him off before the time limit. It's not a huge deal as the checkpoint reduces his HP to the required amount, but I'd really like to get him in one go without using the checkpoint.
Are you holding the attack button, or tapping?

Perfo

That's what I used with a mix of what Digital Foundry had (but this was for the 2016/2017 LG Oled B6 model. I would like to know if HDR and colors are really calibrated (outside of the presets they give you)
The problem is HGIG I read that when not properly supported and rarely is makes everything muted. So keep HGIG and go to Ps5 hdr settings. Don’t follow what Sony suggests to do but instead do this:
Then switch permantely from HGIG to DTM on. Launch the game and lower brightness from ingame hdr menu to 3 or 2 depending on your liking

Same.

The writing, presentation, how disjointed the story was, the automated combat, the absolute lack of challenge, the boring open world, the bottor tier sidequest...

Wait...
The bolded is what matters the most to me when it comes to Final Fantasy. It doesn’t matter how juvenile or how mature the storytelling is(as this series has known to jump back and forth between both), what matters is how they tell it.

It’s why FFX worked for me. Tidus is this fish out of water, sports kid with father issues, who was brought into a world he knows nothing about and is constantly being told to just deal with it all(including the religious, sacrificial, and death aspects) all while trying his hardest to stay positive and keep a smile on his face. He did childish things because he wanted to still be young, but his internal monologue showed how much things bothered him to his core and how much he was forced to grow and face the harsh realities of life. Anyone other FF protagonist in his place would have been Maximum Emo or Edgy all the time, but Tidus never fully gave in to those dark emotions.

I was content with 15’s gameplay and odd clash of fantasy/reality type of world. I would have stayed content had the story delivered on its concept, but it barely held itself together. The feeling of ‘roadtrip with bros’ slowly wears out over time when the story doesn’t keep a good pace with it.

By the way, what does your “wait…” refer to?

GymWolf

Gold Member
The bolded is what matters the most to me when it comes to Final Fantasy. It doesn’t matter how juvenile or how mature the storytelling is(as this series has known to jump back and forth between both), what matters is how they tell it.

It’s why FFX worked for me. Tidus is this fish out of water, sports kid with father issues, who was brought into a world he knows nothing about and is constantly being told to just deal with it all(including the religious, sacrificial, and death aspects) all while trying his hardest to stay positive and keep a smile on his face. He did childish things because he wanted to still be young, but his internal monologue showed how much things bothered him to his core and how much he was forced to grow and face the harsh realities of life. Anyone other FF protagonist in his place would have been Maximum Emo or Edgy all the time, but Tidus never fully gave in to those dark emotions.

I was content with 15’s gameplay and odd clash of fantasy/reality type of world. I would have stayed content had the story delivered on its concept, but it barely held itself together. The feeling of ‘roadtrip with bros’ slowly wears out over time when the story doesn’t keep a good pace with it.

By the way, what does your “wait…” refer to?
It's a forum joke thing when you agree with someone but then you realize that you don't actually agree.

Shit explanation but you get the point.

Whitecrow

Banned

HGIG looks great already and I dont think any tweaks are necessary.
Also, on HDR I play on limited RGB, some games, like Cyberpunk, doesnt go well with HDR and full rgb.

I'll try those settings, but I already find HGIG to be correct.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
HGIG looks great already and I dont think any tweaks are necessary.
Also, on HDR I play on limited RGB, some games, like Cyberpunk, doesnt go well with HDR and full rgb.

I'll try those settings, but I already find HGIG correct.
Leaving aside hdr, Most games looks a bit washed up with full range, limited looks much better but i have some detail loss on darker scene, there is always a debate online of it is better to keep limited even on modern tv with a wide range.

If hdr is high dynamic range how do you even play with limited range colors?

Azaroth

Hifi Rush, if he can git gud at music rhythm.

This is a really good question. The best character action games are extremely violent and mature, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc.
It's practically impossible to find now but Transformers: Devastation was probably the best recommendation I could give.
Thanks, appreciate the replies. I remembered that I let him play some Marvel's Spider-Man a few years ago when I borrowed it on PS4, and he really liked the combat. I will probably pick up the remastered version on PS5 for him, should scratch the itch :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Eb7W0sh.jpg
H2vrfEp.jpg
2X7w82G.jpg
HXRFpyk.jpg
DxiDMJM.jpg
The game looks ridiculous on my OLED, LGC9

poodaddy

Are you two people? I'm confused.
I don't understand what you fellas are having trouble with. One can criticize underwhelming aspects of a commercial product while praising the aspects that excel, and sometimes a product is more than the sum of its parts. I think the game seems great, but I don't think everything about it is perfect, but nothing is perfect. For example, I think Deadly Premonition is objectively a bad game in almost every regard imaginable, yet I absolutely adore it for the weird complete package that it is.
I'll definitely buy it at some point, but there are many things vying for my attention right now so it'd be tough to justify purchasing on release, particularly so with summer break starting next week for my kid; lots of traveling coming up so I wouldn't really have time to play it anyway. Very pleased with the experience, though there's always room for improvement.

You guys don't care for constructive criticism much huh?

It will be Starfield's award to lose this year. For one reason only.......because it's a new IP. Zelda is a better version of BoTW and FF16 will be viewed as just another great FF game. Starfield and that "new" car smell going on.
I have played Zelda Tears of the Kingdom to completion it is an amazing game. All the way through and addresses almost every issue I had with BotW. Music just hits better, combat feels better and what story is there is good. We have dungeons, competent voice acting and a physics engine that shames the rest of the industry. I am also older and have played every Zelda game ever. The last Zelda game was a masterpiece and this continues that and in my opinion is better than BotW. It is one of the top 3 Zelda games ever up there with Link to the past and breath of the wild.

Final Fantasy has been going through a bit of a late life crisis. VII is good but criminally overrated where as VIII is criminally underrated. IX is an amazing game but gets lost in the shuffle due to VII's popularity and VIII's cult like following. X broke away from the feel of VII and VIII and is probably the last great single player Final Fantasy. XI and XIV are arguably the best in the entire series with XI being the true successor to V and XIV being the greatest redemption story in gaming ever, until now. CBUIII dropped a demo that has quite literally blown me away. I have multiple playthroughs with multiple hours to the point where I had to force myself to stop playing the Eikonic battle and get back to Manon labbing in SF6. For me a person that has played every single Final Fantasy game ever, this is almost a life long dream come true. Like what if Final Fantasy Tactics, the greatest FF ever was remade with today's tech but as an action rpg? That is how this feels. Outside of the combat being a dream, the story is good and very impactful, the graphics look very next gen to me and the music is the best I have heard this year and it isn't close at all. The whole thing could fall off a cliff but if the game keeps this same level of quality throughout it will be my game of the year and will be hard for even Tears of the Kingdom to beat it. It is also resonating with most of the female gamers that I know and a lot of female streamers which is a good sign and is generally a space reserved for Nintendo.

My only gripe is the performance in FFXVI, I do know we are playing on build 1.01 and they are on at least version 1.03. If that is cleaned up then it is going to be hard to beat a complete and polished game with no cutout slices to make DLC, no MTX cash shop, Comes day 1 with NG+, two different hard modes, and a Palace of the dead equivalent. This could be a return to form to when you had to own a main number FF.

Starfield, looks good, is on my most anticipated list, I'm in day 1. I haven't seen enough of it to make me believe that it is a game of the year contender. Everything they have shown has looked very good but I don't know much about the story and they have shown a lot of huge empty spaces. If there is a lot to do besides mining rocks, minerals and picking up sandwiches it could be a contender. They haven't shown me why I should think it is just yet. Everything they have shown is in No mans sky but Starfield looks a lot better. I really need to get a grasp of the story, none of the music they have revealed has done anything for me. The second you hear Fallout 4's intro music you know you are in for something special. I am super excited about the ship building and combat but learned that you cannot pilot your ship from point to point on the planets, it is a cut scene. I don't understand that as NMS allows this right now. That is a huge immersion breaker for me in an open world space game. I can even do that in scam citizen.

Spider Man 2 is in the same boat as starfield. Haven't seen enough to even consider it a goty contender.

Please don't sleep on other games that are already legit contenders.

Age of Wonders 4 has almost no presence on this forum and is absolutely a GOTY contender.

Baldurs Gate III is amazing even the beta deserves consideration.

Street fighter 6 is the best they have done since third strike, CVS 2 and the Alpha games.

RE4 could get considerations as well not sure how they treat remakes when it comes to awards.

Hogwarts legacy was a damn good game and sold gangbusters.

This has been an amazing year to be a gamer. Sorry wall of text.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why are people using their phones to take pictures of their TV?

That's not how HDR works and I highly doubt your phone isn't saturating fuck out of the picture anyways.

It's like people saying the colors "pop" because of the HDR. That's not what HDR does.

Last edited:

Quantum253

The problem is HGIG I read that when not properly supported and rarely is makes everything muted. So keep HGIG and go to Ps5 hdr settings. Don’t follow what Sony suggests to do but instead do this:
Then switch permantely from HGIG to DTM on. Launch the game and lower brightness from ingame hdr menu to 3 or 2 depending on your liking

I will give that a shot. Thanks for the info!

Perfo

Here's an in-depth look at the combat system n the game.... so far. Mind blown.

The degree of freedom the player’s given with all these tools is incredible. Like most of this stuff didn’t even realise could be mixed and matched!

Whitecrow

Banned
Leaving aside hdr, Most games looks a bit washed up with full range, limited looks much better but i have some detail loss on darker scene, there is always a debate online of it is better to keep limited even on modern tv with a wide range.

If hdr is high dynamic range how do you even play with limited range colors?
HDR is still 10bit RGB, and HDR movies use limited range too. They are separated things.

In my experience, which is a lot because I have a freaking ocd with this, limited vs full is mostly a matter of taste, but I would say that TVs do better on limited, and some tech people over avs forum say that too.

The thing is, broken hdr implementations aside, if HDR looks washed out, is because it's outputting HDR on limited range, just change it on your tv and check it out.

Top Bottom