• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally getting into PC gaming, help lol

petran79

Banned
Personally I'd not recommend telling a newbie to build their own. While it is cheaper, it works on the assumption that your time is without value, that all parts arrive in full working order, and that you have the skill to construct the machine. In reality, it's handy to have a spare machine to test parts in if they don't behave as expected (which happens more than you might think) and there are plenty of ways to fuck up.

Pre-built may cost a bit more, but it'll save you a hell of a lot of hassle.

I remember I got the help of my dad to build a PC from scratch and I'll never want to experience that again. Plus the fatigue and concentration needed was immense and to screw some parts required two persons, where one had to hold the CPU and fan. One inexperienced person can not do it , especially if having no clue about computer hardware

Last edited:
I remember I got the help of my dad to build a PC from scratch and I'll never want to experience that again. Plus the fatigue and concentration needed was immense and to screw some parts required two persons, where one had to hold the CPU and fan. One inexperienced person can not do it , especially if having no clue about computer hardware
That's simply not true. Unless you believe that everyone who has ever built a gaming PC had prior experience? There's a flaw in there.

petran79

Banned
That's simply not true. Unless you believe that everyone who has ever built a gaming PC had prior experience? There's a flaw in there.

It is not as easy as it is described.
I'd rather give it to a technician because if I am alone and something does not work, I can not even understand if the hardware is faulty or it does not work due to a faulty connection on my part. At least a technician will know.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Don't buy a prebuilt. 99% of the time they are garbage and a total rip off.

CPU - 6 or 8 cores. anything less than 6 is severely outdated and anything over 8 is a waste of money. You could argue that most games are only really starting to make use of more than 4 cores but with the amount of 6 or 8 core cpus out now there is no reason to get 4. 6 cores will do fine but ideally go with 8. If you're building a PC for VR and getting a 144Hz monitor then you need a very good CPU. my recommendations:

6 core cpu - Ryzen 3600. Probably the best budget CPU out right now. Will destroy anything you throw at it.
8 core cpus - Ryzen 3700X or Intel 9900K/9900KS. Ryzen 3700X will do the job but if you want absolute gaming performance then nothing beats the Intel 9900K/9900KS. The difference between the K + KS is minimum and not worth the money. Get whatever is cheapest. The Intel will give you better higher frames which is crucial for VR/144Hz.

GPU - there are a LOT of gpus. AMD aren't really that great in the GPU department. You'll want an Nvidia card. a 1070 is roughly the same as a 1660 or 1660 Ti. I wouldn't recommend either those cards now the 1660 Super is out (it sits between both in terms of performance). After that GPU the next step is RTX gpus. I really don't need to say it but you should spend as much as you possibly can on your GPU.

RAM - no less than 16GB. i would recommend 32GB if you plan on using this PC for 3-5 years. 16GB is fine now but in the next couple years i reckon it will start to struggle. I used to have 16GB but games can easily use 10-13GB now so i upgraded to 32GB. any make is fine (corsair/g.skill are good). If you get an Intel cpu you can basically just throw in any RAM kit and forget about it. If you go Ryzen then you need FAST ram with low latency timings. 3200Mhz and CL16 is the minimum. Anything over 3600Mhz is a waste of money. The lower the latency (CL16 fore example) the better.

Storage - GET AN SSD. this is very important. even if you get a 250GB drive to install windows and programs on it. you can stick in a large capacity HDD for all your games. ideally you'd buy another SSD. i would highly recommend an NVMe SSD and not SATA3 SSD. sata3 isn't bad but it's an old standard that is starting to die out. all my drives on my PC are NVMe now except a large capacity HDD for backup. as for storage i highly recommend either Samsung (expensive) or WD (cheaper but still good performance).

PSU - please. do. not. cheap. out. on. your. psu. don't do it. so many people buy high end CPUs/GPUs and then power it with a crappy PSU that will end up just frying your entire PC. make sure it's 80% plus rated gold efficiency. I swear by EVGA PSUs. i have a 750W EVGA SuperNova G2 and it's rock solid.

CASE - get one that you like the look of. just of course make sure it fits everything lol. i mean don't buy a mini atx case with an ATX motherboard lol (not that you would but still...) other than that...i would just read reviews and see what ones are easiest to build in.

Motherboard - the main thing is pairing your motherboard with CPU. you get a Ryzen CPU you need an AM4 board. If you get a Ryzen 3700X you need an X470/X570/B450 board. If you get a 9900K you need a Z390. just make sure your motherboard has all the ports/connections you need. my last motherboard i just bought purely on how it looked lol.

It's really overwhelming when you're new to PC building but just keep reading up and learning. If you have any more questions (you will...) or need help then we're here to help you :)
Does prebuilt include cyberpowerpc or Ibuypower that you customize on their websites?

I mean, if you pick exactly what goes into the comp, yet let Cyberpower build it for you, how is that a bad thing?

Its the same parts.

I'd rather give it to a technician because if I am alone and something does not work, I can not even understand if the hardware is faulty or it does not work due to a faulty connection on my part. At least a technician will know.
Dude, you said no inexperienced person can do it. That's complete nonsense. It's not as easy as some would have you believe, but it's not rocket science. My younger brother built his first gaming PC earlier this year. Bought the parts, followed a youtube guide and was done in around 3 hours. He had zero experience.

Buy a pre-build and then learn how to upgrade individual components in the future when need be. I couldn't put up a shelf to save my life, but i've upgraded RAM, gfx card, hard drive etc without issue.

Does prebuilt include cyberpowerpc or Ibuypower that you customize on their websites?

I mean, if you pick exactly what goes into the comp, yet let Cyberpower build it for you, how is that a bad thing?

Its the same parts.
It's not a bad thing. You'll just pay more. And when you choose an RTX 2080, for example, you'll get the cheapest one.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Generally not a bad price. Quick thoughts on it. Doesn’t show ram details besides amount. It’s not a K model processor so no overclocking. Also prebuilt usually skimp on the power supplies.

but if you’re not interested in overclocking it isn’t a terrible deal. I still would rather build In a case of my choosing but I just love doing that. Some don’t.

Is there a place that offers good deals for Black Friday on PC parts? I’d love to check that out!

Reactions: 888

sertopico

My only suggestion? Go for a Free/G-Sync monitor, the first for AMD cards, the latter for nVidia. There are also Freesync monitors which are certified from nVidia and work almost like a GSync. What the others told you about the parts is perfect. Get a Ryzen CPU, a good motherboard with enough power phases (don't spare on that!), 16/32 GB of RAM and a M.2 SSD. A good power supply is also extremely important.

Last edited:

INC

Get a decent monitor invest in 144hz and 1440p that's freesync/g-sync

I've just moved over too

Got
Amd 3700x
16gb 3200 ram
2080 super

For like £1500, I bought a custom pc, coz icdidnt want to build and I get warranty on all parts

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Dude, you said no inexperienced person can do it. That's complete nonsense. It's not as easy as some would have you believe, but it's not rocket science. My younger brother built his first gaming PC earlier this year. Bought the parts, followed a youtube guide and was done in around 3 hours. He had zero experience.
What I'd do if I didn't have the confidence that I can pull it off is to try it anyway and if it ends up not working and no online guides help (which is honestly not likely if you don't have two left hands and can follow guides) - in that case I can still take it to a pro and let them do it.

I find it much harder to check that everything really fits together (have enough power, slots, cables, etc.) prior to purchasing than actually assembling it.

Funniest thing that I ever did when assembling a PC was to just duct-tape a backup SSD to the case as there were no proper slots left. Works fine since years that way, go figure.

Last edited:
I built my first gaming PC earlier this year. I was reluctant to take the plunge as it seemed a pretty daunting task. I spent HOURS watching PC build guides on YouTube, seeing which parts would be best at certain price points. I finally settled on this:

ASUS ROG-Strix B-450F gaming
Ryzen 2600X
Sapphire Radeon RX580 16gb
Corsair LPX Vengeance 8gb x2
Samsung 850 256gb SDD
Western Digital 2TB HDD
Corsair CX550M 550 watt power supply.
NZXT H440.

It cost me 70,000 rubles (around $1,150 after tax, but Russia is WAY more expensive than the US, so around $1000 would have been doable there). The building process was hard, I won't lie. I don't have any experience whatsoever with electronics, but after 14 hours and step-by-step guides assisting me on the iPad, it was done. Ever since that day it has run like a dream! If I can do it, anyone can! It's certainly much easier than 10/15 years ago.

I got a LOT of bang for my buck. I only have a 1080p monitor, so 4K was not taken into consideration, but the option is there should I choose to upgrade. Everything I own runs at 1080p/60 on ultra settings (a couple of newer games drop to 50fps at ultra), so I'm pretty happy. Finally playing my beloved Rocket League on ultra settings at a smooth 60FPS almost brought tears to my eyes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I know that that power supply is shit, that's the first thing I'm going to upgrade. I've been holding off overloading the GPU in the meantime. The 700+ gold ones were more than double the price of mine when I bought it. It's my only regret so far with this build. I cheaped out when I shouldn't have, so listen to what people are saying in this thread.

In short OP, build your own. It's an incredibly rewarding experience. It's 2019, companies have made this process easy, even for someone with no previous knowledge. Do your research, YouTube is your saviour.

With that budget youcould get a ryzen 3rd gen cpu. 6 or 8 cores.
16gb or ram 3200mhz would be enough, two sticks.
You could get a cheap ssd from aliexpress, Goldenfir and King Dian are the chinese brands. I've actually used them, and they're not half bad. And they're pretty cheap, you can get 1tb for 75 bucks.
As for the operating system, you can get a win10 pro 64bit licence on ebay for less then 5 bucks. It's legal and it works great, I have one of these myself.
Power supplies are cheap, go for a 600W or 650W with a reputable manufacturer (xfx, gigabyte, coolermaster etc)
Mobo, I think you should get a b450 mobo, no need to go higher. And if your pc gets slow you have to option to upgrade it in the future with ryzen 4000 series (That's gonna be the last gen on AM4 as far as I hear)
As for gpu, I'd go the AMD route, either a vega64 if you can find it cheap, or rx 5700xt.
And the case doesn't matter all that much, just make sure it has at least 2 intake fans and one exhaust fan in the back.
You can research all these components online and make a decision.

Last edited:

drganon

I've thought about getting into PC gaming a number of times over the years myself. I always end up talking myself out of it though. Hope however you go with getting a gaming PC goes well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Its the same parts.
i would still consider it as prebuilt because it arrives prebuilt and you are still likely paying more than you would buying and building it yourself. unless of course these companies are building and shipping it for you, for free, out of the kindness of their heart, which they aren't. you are paying more for them to build it, to keep their business running, to pay their employees, to pay tax. it's cheaper to buy the parts yourself and build it on your own. i'm not saying ALL services are bad value or a rip off. there are some good deals out there but the vast majority is bullshit and a pure rip off.

do yourself a favor and watch some free YouTube videos (there are hundreds/thousands) of how to build a PC. a little bit of research and as long as you can slide, screw, clip things into place you will be fine. it's not difficult building a PC. usually if it doesn't turn on you've either made a simple mistake or the parts are broken (get them replaced). it takes more effort yes but if you want the better graphics/performance it's totally worth it.

I've thought about getting into PC gaming a number of times over the years myself. I always end up talking myself out of it though. Hope however you go with getting a gaming PC goes well.
that was me too. always wanted one but it felt overwhelming and i just kept telling myself i was happy with my Playstation. one day in 2015 i said "fuck it" and built it. never looked back. i still have my Playstation but PC is now my main platform.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

Was he lucky to have the gpu fit in the case? Because I had to bent the side of the case in order for the gpu to fit. A youtube video can't teach you that. Also he was lucky all parts worked. Or else good luck figuring out what went wrong via YouTube. Eg if a Ram or other component does not work, how do you prove or know that it is faulty and return it?

One reason I prefer buying parts and let a computer engineer from same shop handle the rest. If something goes wrong, they can know at least.

Biggest difficulty was screwing the the cpu fan on top. Another person had to hold the cpu while another used a screwdriver. Even my dad who had experience with tinkering and soldering electronics (he is a Physics teacher) said he does not want to go through this again.

Guides unfortunately focus on the 1 thing that is right, ignoring the 10 things that go wrong

Ascend

My suggestion:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($408.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor ($289.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1433.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 08:42 EST-0500

Some additional remarks...;
Cases are a matter of taste. I chose a functional one. Feel free to change it.

With the B450 boards you might need a BIOS update before you can use the R5 3600 CPU. It's relatively easy. This video or this image might help you. People might recommend the Tomahawk instead. The boards are not different enough to justify what is now a $20+ price hike. The main difference is that the Gaming Plus has a slightly worse heat sink compared to the Tomahawk. Unless you're going to overclock your CPU, or put in a 16 core on the motherboard in the future, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't listen to the ones that say AMD GPUs are garbage. They are the best value for money right now, and considering your budget, the 5700 series is the best option. The whole drivers and whatever other negative thing you hear is mostly old issues over a decade old more than anything else.

Normally, I set up systems with a 500 GB just for windows, game clients and other programs like browsers etc, and use a separate SSD for game drives. You can do this, but might need to limit the game drive to 1 TB considering your budget, which is not a lot considering current game sizes. If you're gonna do video editing, saving movies, and stuff like that, you might need a separate traditional HDD drive also.

I left a bit of headroom in your $1500 budget, since these are cheaper prices and you might not get them as cheap where you decide to buy things from.

If you need to cut anything, you can downgrade the graphics card to a 5700 or RTX 2060 non-super, the latter of which I wouldn't necessarily recommend due to its 6GB RAM size and being slower than the 5700 for relatively the same price.

Another option is to go for an older Ryzen CPU, like the 2600 and save ~$80. It will be slightly slower, but will still do the job just fine.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
i would still consider it as prebuilt because it arrives prebuilt and you are still likely paying more than you would buying and building it yourself. unless of course these companies are building and shipping it for you, for free, out of the kindness of their heart, which they aren't. you are paying more for them to build it, to keep their business running, to pay their employees, to pay tax. it's cheaper to buy the parts yourself and build it on your own. i'm not saying ALL services are bad value or a rip off. there are some good deals out there but the vast majority is bullshit and a pure rip off.

do yourself a favor and watch some free YouTube videos (there are hundreds/thousands) of how to build a PC. a little bit of research and as long as you can slide, screw, clip things into place you will be fine. it's not difficult building a PC. usually if it doesn't turn on you've either made a simple mistake or the parts are broken (get them replaced). it takes more effort yes but if you want the better graphics/performance it's totally worth it.

that was me too. always wanted one but it felt overwhelming and i just kept telling myself i was happy with my Playstation. one day in 2015 i said "fuck it" and built it. never looked back. i still have my Playstation but PC is now my main platform.
I've built something like 20 computers. I no longer build them because A) I hate building computers, its not fun, and B)I have the money to pay someone else to do that bs.

I also like having a warranty.

Cyberpower PC lets you pick your exact parts and then pay a little more for them to put it together. Shipping is free (built into the price).

I have a question though. I see peoples builds and they are not going with NVMe M.2 SSD drives. Why on earth would you not go top of the line?

Last edited:
Was he lucky to have the gpu fit in the case? Because I had to bent the side of the case in order for the gpu to fit. A youtube video can't teach you that. Also he was lucky all parts worked. Or else good luck figuring out what went wrong via YouTube. Eg if a Ram or other component does not work, how do you prove or know that it is faulty and return it?

One reason I prefer buying parts and let a computer engineer from same shop handle the rest. If something goes wrong, they can know at least.

Biggest difficulty was screwing the the cpu fan on top. Another person had to hold the cpu while another used a screwdriver. Even my dad who had experience with tinkering and soldering electronics (he is a Physics teacher) said he does not want to go through this again.

Guides unfortunately focus on the 1 thing that is right, ignoring the 10 things that go wrong
Lucky to have the GPU fit in the case? No, there was no luck involved. You realise the dimensions of products such as GPUs and cases are available to view before you purchase them, right? Lucky all the parts worked? Most products work when you buy them.

If you later have an issue, google it, or ask someone online. It sounds like you totally half assed your build and went into it without researching anything.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've built something like 20 computers. I no longer build them because A) I hate building computers, its not fun, and B)I have the money to pay someone else to do that bs.

I also like having a warranty.

Cyberpower PC lets you pick your exact parts and then pay a little more for them to put it together. Shipping is free (built into the price).

I have a question though. I see peoples builds and they are not going with NVMe M.2 SSD drives. Why on earth would you not go top of the line?
fair enough if you want to pay other people to do it then go ahead.

for people on a budget it's not the best way to go.

and i agree anyone not using NVMe ssd needs to get with the times. SATA3 SSD is severely outdated. SATA3 should only be used these days for large capacity (and very slow) HDDs. SATA3 was fine for SSD back in 2008 but now you need PCIE 3.0 OR 4.0 speeds for a good SSD.

Ascend

In reality it does not offer much of a difference. See for yourself;

Some (if not most) people don't find the higher price tag for NVME to be worth the small performance increase.

diffusionx

Gold Member

It depends on the situation/parts you are using/etc., but when I built my second PC a couple of years ago (first time was 10+ years prior to that), it was easier than even I remembered. But I used a stock AMD cooler which was easy to install. When I upgraded that CPU a few months ago, the new cooler was a lot trickier to get in, and I had to buy brackets I didn't need before. So yea, it is heavily situational, sure.

That said I still think the OP may be able to find a good deal next week,at which point the price of a prebuilt is not that much more and you get a warranty, etc. I did that like between the two prebuilts and had no regrets.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I don’t know if this has been said yet... but some people make it out like building a pc is the same as connecting LEGO - and that’s not true. My 6-year-old nephew can do incredible things with LEGO. No way can he build a pc. My advice would be to spend an extra $100 or $150 and have someone build it for you. Check your local area. It’s likely that someone has a business for this.

EDIT: NZXT has a website at which you can pick the parts and they’ll build a quality system. The added cost is negligible.

Last edited:

Ascend

I don’t know if this has been said yet... but some people make it out like building a pc is the same as connecting LEGO - and that’s not true. My 6-year-old nephew can do incredible things with LEGO. No way can he build a pc. My advice would be to spend an extra $100 or $150 and have someone build it for you. Check your local area. It’s likely that someone has a business for this.

EDIT: NZXT has a website at which you can pick the parts and they’ll build a quality system. The added cost is negligible.
Maybe it isn't like LEGO the first time you do it... But building a PC really is not hard, at all. The main thing is that making mistakes with a LEGO does not have a high price tag tied to it, and making mistakes while building a PC can have costly consequences. Ultimately, the parts are made to work together. Following a guide works wonders, and everyone that does build their own PC must have done it a first time. If they can, why can't anyone else?

Last edited:

GymWolf

3 gold rules

Download rivatuner and use it as a frame counter and limiter instead of what you have ingame.
Use vsync standard from nvidia control panel or inspector instead of ingame vsync.
Prey for the best everytime you buy a game who is not absolutely flawless in performance like gears 4 or 5.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
fair enough if you want to pay other people to do it then go ahead.

for people on a budget it's not the best way to go.

and i agree anyone not using NVMe ssd needs to get with the times. SATA3 SSD is severely outdated. SATA3 should only be used these days for large capacity (and very slow) HDDs. SATA3 was fine for SSD back in 2008 but now you need PCIE 3.0 OR 4.0 speeds for a good SSD.
You are correct that building yourself is the cheapest and "Best" way to get a great PC. You are also correct that going and buying a PC at best buy, or Frys is a bad idea. I just merely wanted to clarify to those reading that if you are afraid of building or have no clue how, places like cyberpowerpc or iBuypower let you "Build" a computer without having to actually build it. They are also much better than places like dell, or HP as they have way more choices in parts. They also use the same parts you would be using to build your own. The only downside is you are paying them to build for you, but for some people that would be ok.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Alienware can give you everything and more, its almost a no-brainer but there's always something else. I'm rooting for you OP!

• LOL
Reactions: 888

petran79

Banned
It depends on the situation/parts you are using/etc., but when I built my second PC a couple of years ago (first time was 10+ years prior to that), it was easier than even I remembered. But I used a stock AMD cooler which was easy to install. When I upgraded that CPU a few months ago, the new cooler was a lot trickier to get in, and I had to buy brackets I didn't need before. So yea, it is heavily situational, sure.

That said I still think the OP may be able to find a good deal next week,at which point the price of a prebuilt is not that much more and you get a warranty, etc. I did that like between the two prebuilts and had no regrets.

I usually upgrade easily detachable parts like RAM and GPU. For the rest I am afraid to risk it and bring the PC to a technician, preferably some I know. Fortunately the neighbours on the floor above us have a computer repairshop that works since the early 90s, one of the oldest in the country that did not have to close. We bought few PCs from them over the years. So if any hardware or software trouble arises, we give the PC to them directly and they deliver it to our home.

Lucky to have the GPU fit in the case? No, there was no luck involved. You realise the dimensions of products such as GPUs and cases are available to view before you purchase them, right? Lucky all the parts worked? Most products work when you buy them.

If you later have an issue, google it, or ask someone online. It sounds like you totally half assed your build and went into it without researching anything.

It is just that if you do it alone, you take more risks if something goes wrong.

I had a GPU (GTX660) already but wanted to do a GPU upgrade (GTX1080) and it barely fit, just 3 cm inside the case. It was unfortunately where the 6pin power cord had to be inserted and case prevented it. It was not easy to measure that small gap without having the GPU in front of you and know for certain. Gap was just 2-3 cm. A PC sales and repair shop that would have many GPUs available would have been better able to fit the proper GPU.

Realise dimensions? You bet. Only a minority is familiar with those terms and their meaning. Truly inexperienced people would have no clue about terms like case dimensions, sata, ssd, ram, cpu, 6-pin, atx etc Maybe from a magazine leaflet, but this is far from be able to build a PC without help and without damaging the system. Even professionals computer repairmen find difficulties, often also due to sloppy or neglectful work due to stress. This is not a field I'd like to enter deeper intro.

In that sense, an inexperienced person who wants to build a PC is far more experienced than someone who has no clue about PCs in general. There is a threshold one has to cross first. This is what I meant to say.

Last edited:

JimboJones

If you game on console, Valve will release the game on ps4/5 and Xbox One/Scarlett too, so you could save a lot in hardware department for vr.

Costs for vr and 4k in general are still very high. I'd wait another 5 years for prices to reach hd level.

For that price range you'll have a top pc that can play 1440 games though
What evidence is there that they will port it to consoles?

JBat

Admittedly putting together PC's is part of my job so maybe I'm out of touch but all the core components only fit one way so in that regard they are easier than Legos. The hardest part is the header pins and they are all labeled fairly well. Also maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a part DOA. Sure things fail eventually and that can be a pain in the ass. Keep it simple for your first build. Stick to the 6 core components (CPU,Mobo,ram, graphics card, power supply, and hard drive) plus a case it will all fit in. As for that all you really need to worry about is the height of the graphics card and the width or your prospective case. A lot of people have already given great hardware recommendations and with a little research you will be up and running in no time if you decide to build. Has anyone experienced a part getting damaged during a build? Would you mind sharing the story/cause? I'm genuinely curious

manfestival

Don't buy a prebuilt. 99% of the time they are garbage and a total rip off.

It's really overwhelming when you're new to PC building but just keep reading up and learning. If you have any more questions (you will...) or need help then we're here to help you :)
While I have always felt this way. It seems there are so many good options out there these days... unlike the past. I have build all of my computers until March this year where I bought my first prebuilt in like 20 years. The computer cost about as much(slightly cheaper than building it myself) as building it myself. I got it in a few days and it has been smooth sailing for me. Not trying to be a contrarian but I always had the same mindset that prebuilt was trash(or similar/not necessarily that intense) and to avoid it all times.

I've skimmed some posts so sorry if I missed anything. Where are you going to be gaming with your new PC? You said in the OP that are coming from console, was that in the lounge on the main TV? Would it be viable to place the PC there as well?

Was just thinking of another option for you, where instead of buying a new monitor, you can still "comfy couch" game with a controller on your new PC, in your lounge on your main TV. If your current TV does support freesync/gsync or has a 120Hz mode, then you're golden and saved some money. If not, then you could place the budget of the monitor towards a new TV that does have those features.

AlphabetSoup

Neo Member
Didn't see a PC build thread so I apologies for bumping but I wanted to share my new rig

20191222_235053.thumb.jpg.9eecf3ae6fd6cd4182486dc277b14100.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1577074812151.thumb.jpeg.44e0f7852e64fbb0f87ad1d6bff3778c.jpeg

909009854_NewPC.thumb.jpg.994d5004476c7d6d5adfcf6cdad76f1d.jpg

��������

Last edited:

Myths

welcome to the noble side of society.

There most certainly is a PC thread, one for PC builds and another for PC gaming.

here’s the build thread where you can get a better idea of the price per part matched against competing brands:

Bkdk

Would probably wait a little bit till ampere cards are out. Half life alyx will be very moddable so by the end of this year you might see a lot of graphics/physics /gameplay mods that will be played best with the newest batch of graphics cards. For valve’s games release is just the beginning.

AlphabetSoup

Neo Member
welcome to the noble side of society.

There most certainly is a PC thread, one for PC builds and another for PC gaming.

here’s the build thread where you can get a better idea of the price per part matched against competing brands:

Thank you my bad :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Adam_802

A Adam_802 how did you get on in the end in terms of building? What's the verdict on PC gaming compared to consoles? 😊

So i'm sure some will be disappointed to hear I did in fact get a prebuilt lol! But I got it around Black Friday for what I think was a pretty good deal. $1500 for i7-9700k, Gigabyte 2080 Super (3 fan), 16gb RAM at 3000MHz. 480gb SSD, 1TB HDD. Liquid cooled. 3 front intake fans, 1 exhaust. Been working great and i'll probably upgrade some parts eventually too.

And I was like one of the last people to get an Index before they all sold out and HLA was amazing! Currently loving MS Flight sim (getting mid-50s fps which is great).

Tbh I probably still prefer playing on console overall, but PC is awesome. Love stuff like the Mario 64 pc port for example.

Hostile_18

Banned
So i'm sure some will be disappointed to hear I did in fact get a prebuilt lol! But I got it around Black Friday for what I think was a pretty good deal. $1500 for i7-9700k, Gigabyte 2080 Super (3 fan), 16gb RAM at 3000MHz. 480gb SSD, 1TB HDD. Liquid cooled. 3 front intake fans, 1 exhaust. Been working great and i'll probably upgrade some parts eventually too.

And I was like one of the last people to get an Index before they all sold out and HLA was amazing! Currently loving MS Flight sim (getting mid-50s fps which is great).

Tbh I probably still prefer playing on console overall, but PC is awesome. Love stuff like the Mario 64 pc port for example.

That does seem like a good deal to me. And you have the best of both worlds now! 😁 I just wish I could use two machines equally but i always feel guilty for the one I don't use. 😂

Top Bottom