• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

macklelol

Got my Michalis to 5* Lv40, and wow. This guy is a monster on a flier team. Still need to give him B and C slot skills, but he's a lot better than I thought he was gonna be.

I also got another Minerva from the banner, she's +Res -HP though. Dunno whether to use that one or my +Def -HP one.

NawtKool

Neo Member
Was blue sniping for Ninian when I finally obtained another 5* (from orbs) after so long.
And it's an Abel with +Def/-Atk; can't say I'm a fan of that.
At least I have a Brave Lance+ that I can pass to someone if I ever feel like it, so I guess that's cool.

champloo

Man this Grand Hero Battle has to be the toughest one yet for me. For the first time Hector didn't give me an auto-win.. In the end I had to equip my Effie with Lancebreaker to cheese the enemy lol.

Raysoul

This event is an easy victory for me. :V

Lucina
Nino
Klein
Azura

Klein attacks on the right, Azura dances, Klein pulls back, Azura tanks the red cavalry, Lucina engages Micalis, and the rest is cheeze.

Sölf

I won't pull at this banner. I am up to 66 orbs again, 12/15 cavalry quest and still have 9-5 left. Maybe I try the flier quest afterwards, but I doubt it. Depending on what the next banner has I may pull there, else I will probably hoard a bit.

Edit:

So, I was thinking, would a sort of "Assassin" Team work? As in, have 3 totally specialized units and one support?

Basically, use a Sword, Lance and Axe unit, give each one their Ruby/Saphire/Emerald Weapon, Trianlge Adept and the "neutral" breaker skill (Axe gets Axebreaker, Sword gets Swordbreaker, Lance gets Lancebreaker). They could then get various positioning skills as support and as their C skill, depending on what units you use, Hone/Goad Cavalry/Fliers or various Threaten skills.
The fourth unit could either be a mage (to deal with high defense enemies), a dancer or a neutral unit like an archer/thief who could also get Bow- or Daggerbreaker.

Could something like this work? I sadly lack most of the skills to test something like this, but this would basically allow you to kill enemies easily and only be killed by weapon triangle disadvantage. You could also use high RES units in order to counter mages.

OVDRobo

Burned most of my orbs from the lunatic quests on the new banner. Worth it because I got Minerva by pulling only greens and blues, who is a character I've been after for a while.

Now that the Michalis GHB is here for real, I could use a little advice on what team I should run since, unlike the other 4* GHB characters, I kinda like Michalis and his Iote's shield is way too great to pass up for my fliers.

I've got the following at 5*:
Lucina
Lyn
MRobin
Ephraim
Raven
Minerva
Beruka
Rebecca
Jeorge
Saizo

Most of them have base skills, though Raven has Vantage 2, Lucina has Desperation 2 and MRobin has Draw back and Escape Route as far as mobility goes.

Every attempt I've made so far either involves me getting trapped or one character being unable to escape all the enemies descending on them and dying by the second turn. So, any advice?

Madn

I think the game wants me to use staff heroes

zA9BOnR.jpg

I'm curious: is there in value and making teams using only 3* and 4* characters? Or are 5* teams the default and you'll get bodied in Arena without one?

Note: I do have a 5* team and 3 other 5* characters I'm not really using.

Mupod

Well, I'd really love to try for Minerva, and I can probably scrounge up 20 orbs by Sunday if I get the 10th stratum fliers quest done. But holy crap Caeda is absolutely worthless, I should've leveled Palla instead even leaving her at 3*. I've watched her lose 1v1 to green armor units, and she has a freaking armorslayer. She simply cannot beat any green axe 1v1 except Arthur. She's not terrible against mages, but going into 10th stratum with an all melee team when they have magic users is a gamble because if Reinhardt or Cecilia are there you're 100% fucked.

Anyways, at this point even though I need greens and want Minerva I'm probably better off just pouring everything I've got into the Ninian banner as it's at 4.25%.

I'm curious: is there in value and making teams using only 3* and 4* characters? Or are 5* teams the default and you'll get bodied in Arena without one?

I destroy everything with my all-4* Ursula/cavalry team in arena, including teams that have 3 top tier 5* and one low level dancer. But I top out at around 4150-4200 points for a perfect run. When used right you can outplay the AI with weaker characters, but the sad fact is if you don't have high stats you don't get points.

Gotchaye

It's not that you'll get beaten, it's just that the way Arena is set up you're going to get fewer points. Right now it matchmakes and awards points based on the total stats of all your characters. You maximize your score by bringing a team with high stats, choosing the advanced match, and not losing a single hero in the battle. It's possible to get a higher score with a lower-statted team, but only if you're able to make up the difference by losing fewer heroes. To some extent this is possible and probably very few people are actually running the highest-statted team available to them. I use a Takumi instead of a Fury 3 Eirika because otherwise I get crushed by teams with +10 mages.

They're supposed to be changing the way Arena matchmaking and scoring works in April, but the main idea here is to reduce the weird incentive people have to bring lots of high-statted armor heroes while avoiding low-statted mages and ninjas. A 4* team is still going to get you fewer points and weaker matchups.

Mupod

I had a derp moment and thought I'd go into arena with my 4 highest stat characters, get a few wins then switch back to Team Ursula to finish off the streak to try and get myself above 4300 at least. Then I remembered that none of them are bonus characters...oops. At least I got to see Quick Riposte Robin in action.

But yeah, matchmaking is busted the way it is, and it's most obvious when you're going in with 'weird' teams. Most of what I face with the Ursula squad is, as mentioned, just 3 strong level 40 5* characters and one low level. But I also sometimes go up against teams of four 36-37 5* characters. It's very rare that I fight four 40s, and I NEVER face full teams of 4*. From what I understand, the new matchmaking would make the latter more likely. Although Ursula's got some inherited skills so that might screw it up.

Thanks ya'll.

I will train my 3/4* characters and use them in arena. I was falling into this min/maxing/tier rut and avoiding using them because of how long it'd take to make them 5* and thinking they were worthless in arena if they weren't 5*s.

Has anyone found a way to make healers viable?

As masters of keeping low-levels alive up to Lv. 40? Sure!

As masters of arena combat? Well, my Elise is doing more damage than Gunter ever did at least (stupid damage penalty :x). She can also tank mages of any color if necessary opposed to Gunter tanking lancers and lancers.

-

Eh, best I can put mounted healers' position right now is that they're like the magic equivalent of ninjas not named Kagero except they buff teammates through Hone/Fortify Cavalry opposed to debuffing enemies while still doing -some- damage. Pain working on player and enemy phase opposed to Poison Strike's player phase is quite helpful for this purpose. And of course healing can be a lifesaver if you're forced into having someone fight a non-favorable matchup or need someone to stay topped up in Wary Fighter / -Breaker / Quick Riposte range, etc. Still, I think most would rather get a 4th damage dealer.

Non-mounted healers are kinda screwed.

Mupod

Just beat Lunatic Michalis with my team of Olivia, Abel, Lilina and Narcian

I'll be using a similar team, except with Subaki instead of Abel. I have a 4*+1 Abel but Subaki is much tankier. I leveled some of them for this specific purpose after failing his 4* version during the preview. Everyone's 4* except Narcian who is 3* - I get so much use out of him he probably deserves a promote, but hasn't needed it yet.

I might take Michalis to 5, somewhere down the line. I have no strong axes at all, no flying 5*, and no tanky 5*. His lack of speed is a little offputting though. The funny thing is, SP is such a commodity nowadays that it might be smarter to level the 3* one instead of the 4* one. The Nino I'm raising from 3 is going to have tons of SP to work with.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I pulled from the new banner and got -atk Peri. That's four 5* -atk characters I have now. Four.

Well, I'd really love to try for Minerva, and I can probably scrounge up 20 orbs by Sunday if I get the 10th stratum fliers quest done. But holy crap Caeda is absolutely worthless, I should've leveled Palla instead even leaving her at 3*. I've watched her lose 1v1 to green armor units, and she has a freaking armorslayer. She simply cannot beat any green axe 1v1 except Arthur. She's not terrible against mages, but going into 10th stratum with an all melee team when they have magic users is a gamble because if Reinhardt or Cecilia are there you're 100% fucked.

Caeda is pretty bad with her default set honestly. Interestingly though, I ended up doing a few calculations with her, and while it takes work she is pretty much the best red flyer at the moment if you are willing to do it. I'll assume 5* Caeda and a flyer team, since it makes the most sense.

5* Caeda neutral stats: 36/25/37/24/34
Buffs: Goad Flyers (+4 Attack/Speed) x2 (Because if you are running a flyers team, this would be the minimum you should have)

Caeda's attack after buffs and weapon: 25+12 + 8 = 45
Caeda's Speed after buffs: 37 + 8 = 45

At this point, she'll be doubling basically always, and actually has a reasonable attack stat. Of course, this does assume a flyer team, and she really is only good with one. If we want to push her further...

Above Caeda with Silver Sword + = 48 attack, 45 speed
Above Caeda with Brave Sword + = 41 attack, 40 speed

Mind you, we haven't even given her any skills, so she is still without a B slot, special and is running darting blow in her A slot. If you are willing to invest in her, give her desperation and an attack buff -> either Death blow or Life or Death

SS Caeda with Deathblow and Desperation = 48 attack + 6, 45 speed (doubles everything 40 speed and below)
SS Caeda with Life or Death and Desperation = 53 attack + 50 speed (double everything 45 speed and below)
BS Caeda with Deathblow and Desperation = 41 attack + 6, 40 speed (quads everything 35 speed and below)
BS Caeda with Life or Death and Desperation = 46 attack and 45 speed (quads everything 40 speed and below)
Default weapon Caeda with Deathblow and Desperation = 45 attack + 6, 45 speed (doubles everything 40 speed and below)
Default weapon Caeda with Life and death and Desperation = 50 attack, 50 speed (doubles everything 45 speed and below)

So, while she may rely on being on a flyer team, she is actually pretty good. Same idea as Quadsuna really, just applied to a flyer. Keep her C skill and she will also make a excellent partner with a tanky flyer (Michalis, hey!). For comparison:

Neutral Cordelia's stat line: 40/35/35/22/25
Buffs: Goad Flyers (+4 Attack/Speed) x2 (Because if you are running a flyers team, this would be the minimum you should have)

Cordelia's attack with Brave Lance + and buffs: 35 +8 + 8 = 51
Cordelia's speed with buffs: 38

Cordelia's stats with Life and Death: 56 attack, 43 speed.

So, she isn't too different from Cordelia, and is arguably better depending on your needs. Of course, this is dependent on your ability to put together a flyer team (need at least 2 Pallas for this) and you need to put some investment into Caeda. Caeda still prefers a +attack nature, bumping her attack up 4 points, and at her best she is a bit better than Cordelia, for a lot more investment. Up to you, but I wouldn't count her out. Really, she just has terrible skills for her stat line (and bad attack, but we can fix that).

MANUELF

Banned
I'll be using a similar team, except with Subaki instead of Abel. I have a 4*+1 Abel but Subaki is much tankier. I leveled some of them for this specific purpose after failing his 4* version during the preview. Everyone's 4* except Narcian who is 3* - I get so much use out of him he probably deserves a promote, but hasn't needed it yet.

I might take Michalis to 5, somewhere down the line. I have no strong axes at all, no flying 5*, and no tanky 5*. His lack of speed is a little offputting though. The funny thing is, SP is such a commodity nowadays that it might be smarter to level the 3* one instead of the 4* one. The Nino I'm raising from 3 is going to have tons of SP to work with.
Abel mobility and swordbreaker made it possible for me so I dont know if Subaki Will Work as well but good luck

I beat lvl40 Michalis with Palla, Hinoka, Camellia, and Olwen. Palla moves into Michalis' attack range. Then kills him when turn rolls around and everyone cleans up the fliers, then the 2 guys on the side will die soon after. Pretty easy since Palla dominates Michalis even though his stats are pretty buff.

MiTYH

Went a little too hard in this summon event. Here's what I've got.

- 5-star Eliwood
- 5-star Selena (with a 4-star and a 3-star Selena)
- 4-star Roy

So what should I focus on first-- leveling Roy to 5-star, or evolving Selena's to get them to 5-star and merge them? I'm still a bit casual on this game so any advice would be appreciated!

(other 5-stars include Takumi, Lyn, MRobin, and Young TIki)

EDIT: nevermind on Selena. She's got triangle adept, and I want to give that to MRobin, so I guess I need to raise her 4 to 5 first.

Mupod

Caeda is pretty bad with her default set honestly. Interestingly though, I ended up doing a few calculations with her, and while it takes work she is pretty much the best red flyer at the moment if you are willing to do it. I'll assume 5* Caeda and a flyer team, since it makes the most sense.

You've certainly put more thought into this than me!

But yeah, both my Caeda and Palla have useful IVs (+atk and -hp/res) so I was looking at them for some possible use in a flier squad down the line. I certainly don't have extra 5* units to be feeding into them right now due to my freakishly bad luck, but I suppose that has to turn around someday...of course that's what I said after the FIRST time I went 200 orbs with jack squat. But I can't complain about that in every post.

For now I just wanted to cobble together a flying team for the orb quest and I've learned that if you don't have either a Triangle Adept or gem weapon advantage, 4* units have it very rough in the 10th stratum (aside from those with monster attack stats). But if you do, then they work fine - great even. So in retrospect Palla would have worked out better for me. I could simply give Caeda a Ruby Sword from one of my many Stahls, but that's more investment than I want to bother with just for this very specific goal.

No michalis for me, lol. Can't even beat hard.

There's a video out there of a dude doing the lunatic version with free 3* units, anything's possible if you put some work in. If you post your roster I'm sure we could offer some suggestions.

Wanted Minerva since I didn't have any green 5* units. Got her after maybe 8 summons along with 5* Fae, 5* Lilina, and my first 4* MRobin. My luck in this game has been pretty good. Haven't checked their stats so there's still some potential for disappointment.

Akuun

They do. In combat buffs (Goads, Spurs, Wards) stack. Turn buffs (Hones, Fortifies) do not, and only the highest one is applied.
Ah, okay. That's good to know.

But since those are harder to trigger, you have to keep in mind that Caeda won't always have those buffs since enemy units won't line up like that for you.

You can't assume that Caeda will always be buffed up so strongly all the time if you're calculating based on combat buffs. That's not a minimum - that's more of a best case scenario.
EDIT: nevermind on Selena. She's got triangle adept, and I want to give that to MRobin, so I guess I need to raise her 4 to 5 first.
Yeah, I wouldn't merge Selena. She's got great skills for inheritance. Both Reposition and Triangle Adept are great.

And if you like Selena, I think she's actually a pretty solid tank.

Akuun

Sounds familiar. I bet they had +Res too
Yep lol. -atk +res Ryoma and -atk +res Peri.

I think Hinoka is -atk +def or something, and Ephriam is -atk + hp.

I still use Ephriam as a utility/buffing unit but I've been considering replacing him since he has trouble killling things. Maybe I could slap Death Blow or +atk on him to try to help offset his attack.

Vena

Aww no bonus Michalis for us who did the event.

Anyway, here's an idea: Iote's Shield on Tiki-loli or FCorrin. (Unless its not possible?)

Edit: Turns out its not possible! Boo!

Mupod

Aww no bonus Michalis for us who did the event.

Anyway, here's an idea: Iote's Shield on Tiki-loli or FCorrin. (Unless its not possible?)

it's restricted by movement type, so fliers only. Sheena has one for armor units, and there's a datamined one on an upcoming grand hero battle for cavalry. But Dragons are gonna remain weak to Falchions.

Vena

it's restricted by movement type, so fliers only. Sheena has one for armor units, and there's a datamined one on an upcoming grand hero battle for cavalry. But Dragons are gonna remain weak to Falchions.

Unfortunately, they have taken into account how OP Iote's Shield would be, it seems, if you slapped it on FCorrin or Tiki-loli, lol.

OVDRobo

Managed to take down Michalis on Lunatic finally after 2 stamina potions of strategy making.

I used Lucina/4*Sully/4*Olivia/Jeorge.

Used Olivia's Hone ATK 3 standing next to Jeorge on the right-side to give him enough ATK to one-shot the blue flier, then moved Sully who was standing beneath the right-side wall up and used draw back to drag Jeorge back one space, but still in range of the red cavalry. I then used Olivia's dance on Sully and moved her to the space one beyond Michalis' right-side range near the red cavalry. Lucina sat near the bottom-right corner.

Red cavalry advanced and killed itself on Sully. Michalis moved to the right side of the map. I moved Lucina up to damage him and finished off his last bit of health with Jeorge. After that it was just baiting the remaining units into advantageous positions and finishing them. I actually ended up killing the blue infantry with Lucina and some dance-powered backup from Jeorge, which was a weird tactical choice but I had no greens.

This is definitely one of the better GHB maps since it requires a lot more than just having a strong tank to survive a single chokepoint since you can be approached from so many sides. You have to consider the flying units drawing your frontliners into Michalis' range, the additional movement of the cavalry, the bowbreaker skill on the top-left infantry and Michalis' lack of weaknesses to archers, as well as the power of his lightning triggered skill.

Ah, okay. That's good to know.

But since those are harder to trigger, you have to keep in mind that Caeda won't always have those buffs since enemy units won't line up like that for you.

You can't assume that Caeda will always be buffed up so strongly all the time if you're calculating based on combat buffs. That's not a minimum - that's more of a best case scenario.

Not really. Goads have 2 space range, and Caeda doesn't want to be left out to take a hit. Caeda also wants to end her turn near a tank to share her own buff. Running a tank with reposition and Goad allows you to cover a lot of things you need to, and handles 1 goad user. From there, just keep another flyer around as offensive support. I will say that for defense, it likely won't work since the AI sucks, but player controlled is fairly easi to maintain. My current target team is actually looking to be Palla, Caeda, Cordelia and Michalis, with not Caeda having goad flyers. Even with just Palla and michalis running goad, they probably don't want to stray too far from the main team.

Of course, the alternate is to run Hone Flyers for the turn buff, but I don't have Hinoka. That simplifies everything. I will concede it isn't a minimum, but I wouldn't say it is an unlikely case either. Especially with how far people run with Horse Emblem or -blade shenanigans, the 2 goad alternative is less restrictive.

Shun

+Attack/-Speed or +Defense/-Attack Minerva...

why.

One hand she already has more than enough attack for who she's killing, the other hand she also has enough speed for that...

Also -HP +Res Tiamo. Why.

Another 20,000 feathers I need to decide between getting Fa to 5 stars, another Nono to 5 stars to merge and +1, 5 star Hana for Life and Death 3, upgrade more Hinata 3 stars for Fury 3...

I can't even use Life and Death until I finish +Speed/-HP Nino or draw Rinda too... I want Rinda so bad.

Took down Michalis with Olivia/Anna/Takumi/Lucina. Jeez at Michalis' defenses. Couldn't kill him with Sanaki in one turn and she kills just about anything green. The predicament I found myself in made it so that I needed a melee red in order to dance with Olivia so I swapped out with Lucina who still couldn't one shot him either lol.

After taking him out I was pretty impressed that the red flier completely ignored an almost dead Takumi (who killed a flier and ate the sword calvary to the face) and instead booked it towards a lagging Anna. Almost lost it there but luckily I was able to drag Takumi back down to the bottom of the map and take it out. From there I parked Anna and Takumi on a corner waiting for the lance user to close it out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
First time I have actually been able to do the harder version of the Grand Hero Battle. Takumi made it a cake walk.

lt519

How are people surviving the initial onslaught? You can't move an axe user in range of the blue lance or the red cavalry unit will wipe you. You can't put a red sword to survive the blue lance since it'll drag you back and Michalis' will attack.

I think I need to either level Narcian or Beruka to survive the initial Michalis' attack. I'm hurting here cause my best Axe user is Bartre at level 30 and then Beruka/Raven are next at level 22.

I have an Abel and Sophia near level 40 so I could run that strategy with Olivia but there's gotta be another way to survive that initial beating.

Sterok

Finished all the Lunatic quests. Only needed a Light's Blessing on 9-5, so that was good. That level is just ridiculous. Now to decide whether to grind SP for Lucina so she can get Fury 3, or bring up some of my other level 1 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom