• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

pestul

It's funny how the scrolling issue is fixed, but to me it just feels a little more sluggish in general with new tabs / closing tabs in 47. Maybe I should axe my extensions just to see if they're having any major effect.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Neogaf has been really slow to load for me on FF (47) for a few days now. At first I thought it was the site because of E3, but then I tried Chrome and it loaded pages in an instant. I don't know what I could do to fix it. Posting and even editing takes a long time. Other sites are fine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Does anyone else have problems watching twitch right now? When I put it on source quality FF completely crashes and I get a green screen on the vid. I tried uninstalling the beta and going to the stable version but it makes no difference. Any Twitch stream crashes my FF.

No issues on Chrom, on source quality settings.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Firefox 48.0 is out today. Of note is that their separate process feature (e10s) is starting to roll out and the first Rust-based code in Firefox is coming out as well for those who care about such things.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So before, the latest version, Twitch tended to make my computer hang.

With the new version, it's now YouTube's turn. The script keeps crashing (vglnk.js, more specifically). I've already tried disabling hardware acceleration, as was suggested on one site, but it did nothing.

Anyone else has this problem? How do I fix it?

inm8num2

The State of Mozilla Firefox (ghacks)

If you have followed the news about Firefox -- hopefully by reading yours truly blog -- you know that the past 18 or so months saw some dramatic announcements and changes.

If you group those changes -- planned, in development or on a to-do list -- you come up with two major groups: introduction of features that change Firefox fundamentally, and the removal of features that impact part of the browser's user base.

Features like add-on signing, multi-process Firefox, support for WebExtensions, focus on 64-bit on Windows, and system add-ons, fall into the first group.

You find complete themes, changes to the add-on system and compatibility, removal of NPAPI plugin support, and removal of smaller features such as Hello or the Social API.

Much of it is still an ongoing process, and this article tries to shed some light on the process. It needs to be noted that things may get delayed along the way.

Prothero

Neo Member
I just updated to 49 on my Mac (OSX 10.9.5). Had no problems with Twitter before, but now the tab crashes (not a browser crash, just the tab) every time I load up my message feed and scroll down. I'm also not getting any script/error messages, just instant tab crash with the scroll down. Anyone heard of this or know the fix?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. :)

did a fresh install a wili ago and forgot what scripts i had in greese monkey , i know most of its concerning blocking of unload events and stopping pages from spawning there own windows out side of tabs and adverts that arnt picked up by ad blockers etc i also used to use control de scripts but could switch for something else

not the biggest no script fan

wondering if you guys can help ?

cheers

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Check out uMatrix, it's from the same person that made uBlock Origin. Takes a second to figure out how it works but then you have a lot of control over which scripts are allowed to run on what websites.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is there a Firefox plugin that allows you to block specific types of ads on Youtube?
I don't mind banners or the odd video ad at the beginning of the vid, but I hate it when they put video ads that are unskippable, or when videos are interrupted by ads.

turmoil

Banned
Is there a Firefox plugin that allows you to block specific types of ads on Youtube?
I don't mind banners or the odd video ad at the beginning of the vid, but I hate it when they put video ads that are unskippable, or when videos are interrupted by ads.

wtf I didn't know this was a thing

Thanks god for creating adblockers

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
wtf I didn't know this was a thing

Thanks god for creating adblockers

Yeah. I still leave ads on because I believe good YouTubers deserve to be paid, but it's a pain in the butt. Not only that, but unlike on TV, video ads can and will literally interrupt your video mid-sentence. There's no such thing as sensible time-slotting on those. It's purely arbitrary - say, one add every quarter of the video.

Yeah. I still leave ads on because I believe good YouTubers deserve to be paid, but it's a pain in the butt. Not only that, but unlike on TV, video ads can and will literally interrupt your video mid-sentence. There's no such thing as sensible time-slotting on those. It's purely arbitrary - say, one add every quarter of the video.

The uploader sets the exact time on when they show up.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The uploader sets the exact time on when they show up.

Then there must be some kind of default setting if the uploader doesn't want to set that up because I've lost count of how many times my video gets interrupted mid-sentence or at times when it doesn't make any sense.

Why does Soundcloud never work in Firefox? It's been like this for months.

Example being the embedded Soundcloud in this link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/indians-win-world-series-chess-134118825.html

I don't get it. It's not a ad blocking issue or Greasemonkey interfering. The Soundcloud embeds work fine in Chrome. What gives? I'm not using any weird extensions or messing with the basic settings.

It's probably a plugin issue. Try setting the VLC plugin to never activate if you have it.

PillarEN

It's probably a plugin issue. Try setting the VLC plugin to never activate if you have it.

Oh that's a good tip. I'll try that later today.

EDIT: It worked. Thanks a bunch. Wonder why VLC would act that way. Wouldn't the developer of the plug in do something about that if they know it's screwy? I actually don't know when VLC was being used in browser for that matter. Seems pointless no?

EDIT: It worked. Thanks a bunch. Wonder why VLC would act that way. Wouldn't the developer of the plug in do something about that if they know it's screwy? I actually don't know when VLC was being used in browser for that matter. Seems pointless no?

Yeah I have no idea when it's used either. I just disable every plugin except Flash and I never seem to run into any problem or missing feature.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Oh that's a good tip. I'll try that later today.

When you install VLC, I think it has the option to install a plugin in Firefox. You probably enabled that option.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I'm sure I was on 64-bit before. Did I get downgraded?

No idea. I'm using the stable release of 64-bit Firefox and haven't noticed any issues like that. I would think that downgrading to a 32-bit build would be more noticeable than a normal update.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ever since I upgraded to v50, FireFox has been sluggish as hell. If I use it for any length of time, opening tabs and especially YouTube videos will eventually make it lag. Big delay when I, say, click on a video or switch tabs.

Anyone else got this problem? Know how to fix it? I have a quad-core CPU and 16GB of RAM on Windows 10.

Firefox 50 is the first firefox I have felt obligated to complain about. I don't know what they changed but it fucking sucks, if I have one tab that's performing slowly it stops all of my other tabs from rendering if I go back to them. It just shows me a dumb spinning circle like it's loading my content or something. In 49.0.2 I could just flick to other tabs if a tab was loading slowly but now I have to sit there waiting for that other tab to load and stop fucking shit up. It's especially noticeable with some flash video players because flash has performed like poop in firefox for years but now it's poopyness is infecting other tabs.

Oh apparently this is their new multi process thing. I fixed it by disabling it in about:config all is well but I hope they fix it for new releases.

Top Bottom