• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Has anyone had an issue where Firefox will stop responding for a few seconds? It happens to me quite regularly, though I've updated to the latest version. I've also scanned my computer for malware/whatnot.

My computer isn't too, too old, and it's not bogged down by a full hard-drive or anything else.

I also sometimes get a prompt saying that Firefox is unable to update, and to go to Mozilla's site for the newest version. However, as I said, it's up-to-date.

I tried deleting it then re-downloading it.

EDIT: I reset Firefox, but when I tried to add my removed extensions, I was met with a security certificate saying that the Mozilla add-on page was using an untrustworthy certificate. I deleted, then re-installed Firefox (also deleted the folder with my old settings/whatnot, because I didn't have anything customized) and I'm still getting the same problem.

Mr_Zombie

Has anyone had an issue where Firefox will stop responding for a few seconds? It happens to me quite regularly, though I've updated to the latest version. I've also scanned my computer for malware/whatnot.

On my work computer - it happens regularly and it's the reason (that and the constant hogging down the memory which causes graphical glitches after FF starts using about 1.2GB of RAM) I'm thinking about jumping on the Chrome boat. At home - where I have a better machine - it doesn't happen often, but still can happen from time to time.

On my work computer - it happens regularly and it's the reason (that and the constant hogging down the memory which causes graphical glitches after FF starts using about 1.2GB of RAM) I'm thinking about jumping on the Chrome boat. At home - where I have a better machine - it doesn't happen often, but still can happen from time to time.

Hmm...so I'm not alone.

I think I screwed something up, because Firefox won't let me access Google or some other sites. The "This connection is untrusted" prompt appears and won't let me progress.

None of the support ideas work.

EDIT: I just noticed it's the same issue that Curufinwe had

EDIT 2: I disabled the SSL scanning in my antivirus program and everything works fine now. However, I worry about not having that setting there.

Afro

Kill if old. X-post...

Did Firefox just get a big W10 compatibility update or something? Browser feels faster than it was at W10 launch and scrolling seems smoother. Just me? Feels like they added motion blur while scrolling too lol. I didn't want to move to Edge.

edit: yeah. version 40. nice.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/11/firefox-version-40-windows-10-features/

eEeF65Y.jpg

They broke the Dev theme again lol I moved from Beta to Stable because it was broken there, and now its broken in Stable.

Can someone verify if Beta is okay?

Addnan

Did Firefox new update ruin the font for anyone else? It looks like cleartype is disabled on firefox (right) or something.

screenshot17mfqe3.png

screenshot18szrg9.png

Firefox 40.0 in Win10 is having issues scrolling. Like it needs v-sync enabled.
Hardware Acceleration doesn't seems to make any difference.
I swear it was working fine a few days ago,

Edit - Yep, downloaded 39 and all is smooth again. Will be sticking with this for a while.

Edit2 - Erm, stutter is back. Weird.

Edit3 - 40.0.2 seems to have fixed this.

My gfx.font.rendering value doesn't do anything anymore. I get the ugly wide font on the subreddits on Reddit. And since that affects the whole browser, it's just worse font rendering everywhere. And yeah, scrolling was fine on the day of the update, but it's so choppy now. Hoping the next update fixes this.

Actually, never mind. The 40.0.2 update seems to have fixed the font issue. I don't even want to see if the about:config can toggle it anymore. I'm just glad it looks okay again.

Coreda

Probably the biggest news to hit regarding future addons was posted on the official blog.

Essentially Mozilla is wanting to transition away from XUL to a new more multi-browser compatible API called 'WebExtensions'. Many are disappointed in the announcement as they see it as a shift from the ultra extensible Firefox we know today. A number of devs have, or are considering, discontinuing support for their addons going forward. It's a pretty big deal.

Hacker News running thread here, including developer quotes.

Nils Maier (DownThemAll! dev) said:
What this also means: Almost all your existing add-ons will be broken, entirely, save for some Add-on SDK add-ons, namely those that don’t do anything fancy. Sure, even today, lots of add-ons break, and some add-ons will not get updated when they do and there are no suitable replacements. However, with this change, almost every add-on will be completely broken and in need of major updating by the extension authors. Good luck with that.

It is safe to say, that Firefox will not be Firefox anymore as far as extensions go, but instead will become yet another Chrome-clone.

To be clear: I was furious when the extension signing stuff was announced and then actually implemented, which effectively created yet another Walled Garden, but regarding this announcement I am just sad. Right now, it feels like I just learned my dear old friend Firefox is going to die.

Mike Kaply (addon consulting dev) said:
But let's talk availability of APIs. I'll use two of my extensions as examples. Keyword Search accesses the wrappedJSObject of search submissions in order to manipulate the submission. Will there really be an API for that? Or what about the CCK2? Will there really be APIs that allow me to modify the built-in preferences pages including removing pages or controls? Or what about disabling private browsing? Or removing sync? Or removing access to about:config? I doubt it. There are just too many things that extensions do (most of them pretty obscure) to be able to provide an complete API.

I'll watch what goes on and hope that I'm wrong, but I'm not very optimistic.

I will say this, though. It's a great day to be a Chrome developer.

Edit: made a thread.

Should I move back from Cyberfox?

Woah I just noticed that Netflix just blocked Cyberfox from watching videos. I wonder if they are doing the same with all the Firefox alternate versions. I'm sure the developers will get around that anyways but it's still interesting that they bothered doing that.

Accoun

Is there an addon that allows me to skip pages on image hosting sites and go directly to the image? Some of the sites, like Photobucket or Tinypic, seem to force me to go through the site even if I copy the URL from an embedded image.

Is there an addon that allows me to skip pages on image hosting sites and go directly to the image? Some of the sites, like Photobucket or Tinypic, seem to force me to go through the site even if I copy the URL from an embedded image.
The handy image userscript helps with this a lot.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question:

I have 2 screens and like to browse the net while watching something on the other. And when browsing the net the video that i'm watching stutters.
Is this fixable?

I have adblock installed and bluhell firewall.

Thanks.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question:

I have 2 screens and like to browse the net while watching something on the other. And when browsing the net the video that i'm watching stutters.
Is this fixable?

I have adblock installed and bluhell firewall.

Thanks.
That may have to do more with the amount of RAM and the graphics card you have.

This new Firefox version really made it chug along in the Neogaf Pics That Make You Laugh thread. It used to breeze through that like nothing. Now it gets stuck and freezes multiple times... is it like that for anyone else?

I'm not sure I can remember the last time I upgraded Firefox and didn't hate a UI change they made.
Same here.

How do I turn off the new smartbar "improvement"? No, I don't want to visit the root domain. Take me directly to the URL I'm searching for.

This new Firefox version really made it chug along in the Neogaf Pics That Make You Laugh thread. It used to breeze through that like nothing. Now it gets stuck and freezes multiple times... is it like that for anyone else?

It loads fine to me.

I'm not sure I can remember the last time I upgraded Firefox and didn't hate a UI change they made.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Same here.

How do I turn off the new smartbar "improvement"? No, I don't want to visit the root domain. Take me directly to the URL I'm searching for.

Type about:config, search for browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete, change to false.

beat

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
Yeah, I use that, plus KeyConfig to keep Ctrl-O mapped to the URL bar (I had many years of Mozilla muscle memory by the time they decided to change what the key did), a plugin to recreate the status bar, ...

Type about:config, search for browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete, change to false.
Thanks!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Firefox 43 64-bit vs using Cyberfox, which is forked off Firefox but as a 64 bit variant?

Mr_Zombie

You sure about this? Double clicking to open a new tab worked in older (much older) versions of FF, but for some time now the empty space in tab bar is recognized as window's title bar, i.e. double clicking it maximizes / resizes the browser window. Or at least that's how it works on Windows 10 (and I think that's how it worked on Win8).

You sure about this? Double clicking to open a new tab worked in older (much older) versions of FF, but for some time now the empty space in tab bar is recognized as window's title bar, i.e. double clicking it maximizes / resizes the browser window. Or at least that's how it works on Windows 10 (and I think that's how it worked on Win8).

It would probably help if I specified that I'm running OSX

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, there doesn't seem to be any complete dark themes on Mac right? I was bummed to see FT Deepdark not Mac compatible.

Goddamn, gifs are killing firefox since v43.0.3...

On mac osx here and never got any prob before.

Yep. They ruined something about pages with a lot of Gifs since version 43 came out. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I've tried it on five completely unrelated computers so I know it's a Firefox problem. It sucks because it was the one browser that never had problems like that before.

Okay, so it's not just a Windows 64-bit issue. Sucks, because Firefox has always been a tank for me and nothing ever brings it down like it has recently. Hope they get it fixed soon.

I wonder if it will get fixed. Didn't they say they changed something to make pages load faster with this new version? The poor GIF handling might be an unhappy side effect to that. I hope it gets fixed though.

Quick

Banned
I'm having an issue with NeoGAF and displaying embedded images with Twitter's URL on my work computer. I'd have to grab the URL directly and paste it on a new tab to see the image, or visit the Twitter page it came from.

Not sure if this is a Firefox or NeoGAF issue. Though, I'm leaning towards Firefox since it works on my Firefox install on my home computer.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't notice it until I had switched from one tab with a lot of GIFs to one that had few.

Once I switched over to the page with lots of GIFs, then I noticed a huge slow down.

You guys talking about how the page freezes up on image heavy pages? Thats what im getting.

Yeah. The Neogaf funny pictures thread is one example. Older versions of Firefox had no problems with it but now it freezes multiple times when I scroll down.

kinn

Yeah. The Neogaf funny pictures thread is one example. Older versions of Firefox had no problems with it but now it freezes multiple times when I scroll down.

Ah ok. that's exactly the same issue for me and the same thread also. Are Mozilla aware of the issue?

Top Bottom