• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

I just went for a downgrade. Yeah 38 is really crappy.

I hadn't used Palemoon in a while and wanted to see where they were. Aside from needing to use an older version of Greasemonkey and a fork of HTTPS Everywhere, it works great.

Meh, I've been having memory leaks for few months now. After two hours or so of using the browser it starts eating up to 1.2gb of RAM resulting in either pages not rendering properly (black squares everywhere) or the browser crashing. I have no idea what can cause those issues since even disabling most plug-ins and add-ons (leaving only those few I really need) doesn't help.

Plus YouTube (HTML5 version, since I have Flash disabled) runs like shit.

Theres an open issue currently, so they're aware of it. Hoping they can fix it sooner rather than later.

beat

I've been keeping hundreds of tabs open forever, so I'm pretty used to going over a gig. At 2+ gigs, even with lots of spare RAM, the browser starts getting sluggish, so I'll restart.

I very recently installed the BarTab X Lite extension (and vertical tabs) after reading this Vox piece, and I haven't seen much improvement. Maybe it's because of that known issue OdysseusVA mentioned.

Does anyone know what is up with Firefox not playing YouTube videos full screen? It always shows the top of Firefox and the tabs even when trying to go full screen with html5. The only fix is forcing flash usage.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Does anyone know what is up with Firefox not playing YouTube videos full screen? It always shows the top of Firefox and the tabs even when trying to go full screen with html5. The only fix is forcing flash usage.
That's probably HTML5.

It should work normally, but it depends on the embed URL.

hateradio

My Mac is clean. No worries there.

I assumed that this was the default behavior, though.

Yeah it works fine when I use an extension that forces flash. It is just when YouTube used html5. It is forcing to use Chrome to watch YouTube.
Most likely you're viewing the old embed links in a separate tab or haven't given script permissions to YT or the site you're watching the videos on.

I think the old versions used /v/<VIDEO_ID> in the URI but new ones use /embed/<VIDEO_ID>. In fact the old version is deprecated.

My Mac is clean. No worries there.

I assumed that this was the default behavior, though.

Most likely you're viewing the old embed links in a separate tab or haven't given script permissions to YT or the site you're watching the videos on.

I think the old versions used /v/<VIDEO_ID> in the URI but new ones use /embed/<VIDEO_ID>. In fact the old version is deprecated.

How would I change this? It worked fine when Firefox first switched over to html5 on youtube and stopped working about a month ago.

Try using Youtube's beta player. I remember running into issues with html5 + Youtube center script namely that it can't resize the player properly, but once I opted in; had no problems.

That's weird. Do you have some extensions or something that could be messing it up?

No. It was fine when it first switched over to the html5 player, but it changed for some reason about a month ago. Maybe it is an issue since I'm at 4k? Chrome plays them fine though.

Just wanna say that I went to the troubleshooting option under help and it offered to refresh Firefox for me. After doing that html5 video plays with no issues full screen again.

Mozilla noted some time ago that the useful feature was abused by companies who replaced the New Tab page in the browser with a custom version, for instance during software installations as third-party offers but also in malicious ways directly without opt-out.
It is unfortunate that the change is introduced at a time in which Mozilla is facing criticism over recent New Tab page changes that introduces advertisement on the page.

The irony.

inm8num2

I found a really nice extension today:

Hide BookmarksBar

You can create a custom keyboard shortcut (I chose "Ctrl" + ".") to show/hide the bookmarks bar, which can also be set to automatically appear when you open new tabs/windows. Once a page loads the bookmark toolbar hides by itself.

hateradio

i need a guide about useful add ons, anyone have a favorite list?
  1. uBlock - supposed to be a lighter alternative to AdBlock (Though you should whitelist GAF)
  2. Disconnect or Ghostery - Removes a lot of site/ad tracking (Again, whitelist GAF)
  3. FireGestures - adds mouse shortcuts
  4. Greasemonkey - can install scripts that enhance your favorite websites

PhaZZe

Banned
  1. uBlock - supposed to be a lighter alternative to AdBlock (Though you should whitelist GAF)
  2. Disconnect or Ghostery - Removes a lot of site/ad tracking (Again, whitelist GAF)
  3. FireGestures - adds mouse shortcuts
  4. Greasemonkey - can install scripts that enhance your favorite websites

How can i add neogaf to whitelist, i cant find any menu or options.
thanks you!

How can i add neogaf to whitelist, i cant find any menu or options.
thanks you!

First, make sure you downloaded uBlock Origin :D Here or here

As for the whitelist, find your way into the settings and click on the Whitelist tab.

O31b.jpg

Accoun

Session Manager - autosaves/switches sessions. Also adds Opera-like "undo closed tab/window".
Private Tab - adds private tabs alongside private window, like in Opera 12.
NoScript - disables JavaScript, but with a whitelist.
Screengrab - saves screnshots. Full site/visible portion/selection.
Save Image in Folder - you can predefine a few folders you have a shortcurt to under RMB -> Save Image in Folder -> *folders*. Plus optionally you can double click an image to save it to the last used preset folder.

Classic Theme Restorer - fully customizes the browser's interface. Can also disable features like the recent "Pocket", Firefox Hello, etc. (Contrary to its name it allows customizing tons of individual features, not just restoring the Firefox classic theme.)

FindBar Tweak - customizes the find bar. It has many options but actually I only use this addon for one specific feature: the ability to keep the same find bar between all tabs (which was the default behavior before Firefox changed it at some point).

RELAYER

Banned
I get "Secure Connection Failed" anytime I try to access for school's website. Right now I'm trying to look at the course catalog and it won't let me.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

New computer so I figure I'd try Firefox again.

Recommend me some add-ons, brehs.

Also, does the webm for Neogaf add-on not work anymore?

beat

New computer so I figure I'd try Firefox again.

Recommend me some add-ons, brehs.

stuff to undo FF's bad design decisions:

Classic Theme Restorer - I don't like FF's new UI design.
KeyConfig - FF occasionally does dumb things with key shortcuts; this helps undo them.
Status-4-Evar - restores the old status bar

Other UI tweaks:

Tree Style Tabs - the best thing for people who browse a lot of tabs.
BarTab Lite X - helps hold down memory bloat on startup, anyways.
Forecastfox - weather forecasts in the status bar

Functionality:

Xmarks - bookmark cloud backup, cloud sync.
Who stole my pictures - easy right click access to reverse image search.
FEBE - A boon back when Firefox was very crashy. Maybe not so necessary anymore. It backs up your profile.
Session Manager (do I still need this, or did FF subsume this functionality?)
Greasemonkey (do I still need this, or did FF subsume this functionality?)
Stylish - never needed it before Twitter's recent bright-white redesign.
Privacy Badger - requires a fair bit of babysitting to re-enable some stuff to make web usable, but overall I still like what it does.
Social Fixer - Facebook UI tweaks
Textarea Cache - I find it handy, anyways.

Windam

Scaley member
Does Firefox run like complete crap on Windows 10 for anyone else? It's moving at a snail's pace, making it practically unusable.

Edit: Never mind. Had to delete the profile from Windows 8.1. Works perfectly now.

Lucumo

stuff to undo FF's bad design decisions:

Classic Theme Restorer - I don't like FF's new UI design.
KeyConfig - FF occasionally does dumb things with key shortcuts; this helps undo them.
Status-4-Evar - restores the old status bar

Isn't the status bar already included in Classic Theme Restorer?

What I use:

Adblock Plus
NoScript

Classic Theme Restorer
Tab Mix Plus
Downloads Window (hey, I love my window)

DownloadHelper
Complete Youtube Saver
1-Click Dailymotion Video Downloader

FireBug
NicoFox
Remove Google Tracking

Is there any worthwhile addon I should add? The first three blocks seem complete. The UI is great and functionality is there. I can surf without anything slowing it down and can download pretty much anything. Maybe something to increase privacy or an addon I didn't know I need (used Greasemonkey back in the day but these days...)?

hirokazu

Are you using a Mac with the wrong date set? It happens if you run out of battery.

I'm also getting this error but only on one site I've come across. Not battery related. Works fine in Safari and I can't be arsed to troubleshoot it, but probably something wrong with their certificate that Firefox is rejecting but Safari is letting through.

Top Bottom