• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is anyone else having issues with image loading in 36.0? I'm finding that occasionally images aren't showing up at all or will appear all black (and sometimes even partially black).

derExperte

Is anyone else having issues with image loading in 36.0? I'm finding that occasionally images aren't showing up at all or will appear all black (and sometimes even partially black).

Yes, it's a widespread problem. 37beta seems to fix the black images but still feels slower than 35.

Anybody else having issues with Tumblr in 36/37Beta?

Site works fine in Chrome.

Wonder what's going on?

EDIT: What was going on is I don't know. Just started working again for whatever reason.

sora87

Anyone having problems with certificates not displaying properly? Some sites that should have a padlock displays greyed exclamation marks for me. Most the time it's fixed with a refresh but it's still weird. Game.co.uk just won't load the green certificate at all, and firefox tells me it's blocking insecure content :s

Road

Anyone having problems with certificates not displaying properly? Some sites that should have a padlock displays greyed exclamation marks for me. Most the time it's fixed with a refresh but it's still weird. Game.co.uk just won't load the green certificate at all, and firefox tells me it's blocking insecure content :s

Blocking insecure content means Firefox is not loading stuff served through HTTP in a website that is using HTTPS.

As for why it does not recognize Game's certificate, I don't know. Maybe it's not set up correctly. For me, it doesn't show a green padlock on Chrome and IE either.

Btw, if you click on the triangle or padlock icons, it has either a "?" or "learn more" link explaining this stuff. =P

dLMN8R

Can someone explain what the "right" way to support Flash in Firefox is?

I understand that Flash isn't built-in to Firefox as it is Chrome and IE, so I installed the plugin straight from Adobe's site.

However, unlike IE and Chrome, Flash content in Firefox is all screwed up when it comes to proper DPI rendering. On my Surface Pro 3, all the Flash controls on YouTube for example stay extremely tiny at native rendering resolution, while in IE and Chrome the high-DPI rendering works perfectly.

I'm running Windows 10, but this doesn't seem like something that would be different in 8.1. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Road

Can someone explain what the "right" way to support Flash in Firefox is?

I understand that Flash isn't built-in to Firefox as it is Chrome and IE, so I installed the plugin straight from Adobe's site.

However, unlike IE and Chrome, Flash content in Firefox is all screwed up when it comes to proper DPI rendering. On my Surface Pro 3, all the Flash controls on YouTube for example stay extremely tiny at native rendering resolution, while in IE and Chrome the high-DPI rendering works perfectly.

I'm running Windows 10, but this doesn't seem like something that would be different in 8.1. Maybe I'm wrong though?

According to the bugs filed, it seems to be a Flash problem (also happens with Opera) around which Mozilla doesn't want to make a patchwork, and that Adobe doesn't seem to care either.

Google and Microsoft probably took matters to their own hands.

And I imagine with the Youtube html5 player becoming standard, it will probably never be fixed.

Anyone noticed how when you drag like a link or a word into the search bar noting happens now? Before a new tab will pop up with the search engine of your choosing.

Im_Special

Why wouldn't you just right click your highlighted text then > Search " EngineX" for "TextY".

Alternatively just right click press "S".

Road

Anyone noticed how when you drag like a link or a word into the search bar noting happens now? Before a new tab will pop up with the search engine of your choosing.

What version are you using? Does this happen if you go into help and restart with addons disabled?

It's fine here.

Gvaz

Banned
Going to steampowered in nightly 40 crashes the browser now if you have e10s enabled. Fucking firefox. This is a recurring issue with the steam site and e10s.

Road

Going to steampowered in nightly 40 crashes the browser now if you have e10s enabled. Fucking firefox. This is a recurring issue with the steam site and e10s.

Just went to http://store.steampowered.com/ and it was fine.

Are you going to a specific page or doing a specific action that always crashes?

You can check about:crashes (if you're submitting them) and see if there's a related bug.

Gvaz

Banned
Just went to http://store.steampowered.com/ and it was fine.

Are you going to a specific page or doing a specific action that always crashes?

You can check about:crashes (if you're submitting them) and see if there's a related bug.

Any page related to steam. Tried disabling or enabling enhanced steam, with no change. As soon as I turned off e10s in the browser, i had zero issues or crashes with viewing steam. (of course, now facebook w/ facebook purity runs like dogshit again. I wish fb wouldn't keep changing shit or forcing shit down my throat but that's a separate issue)

They said this was fixed in an earlier report, but it's back.

Any page related to steam. Tried disabling or enabling enhanced steam, with no change. As soon as I turned off e10s in the browser, i had zero issues or crashes with viewing steam. (of course, now facebook w/ facebook purity runs like dogshit again. I wish fb wouldn't keep changing shit or forcing shit down my throat but that's a separate issue)

They said this was fixed in an earlier report, but it's back.
Only crashes for me with Enhanced Steam enabled.

Why has Mozilla made it so difficult to see the details of each Firefox update? The "About Firefox" window used to have a link to update notes, but that's disappeared. I don't see any links for it on their website. Wtf Mozilla.

Why has Mozilla made it so difficult to see the details of each Firefox update? The "About Firefox" window used to have a link to update notes, but that's disappeared. I don't see any links for it on their website. Wtf Mozilla.

Yeah I've noticed that too. It's a bit annoying. I usually just resort to using Google to find the page archnemesis linked to.

Striek

Sup GAF, reinstalled Windows & FF and have lost an important extension....the ability to refresh tabs by pulling / dragging them down (instead of opening tab in new window like it does now). My google-fu is failing me, I had it for ages. IIRC it was called/named a bugfix....

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Lol :(

Toppot

Is there an easy way to see if an extension is causing a memory leak in Firefox? That is to say without disabling them all and enabling them one by one. Since updating to 38.0.1 a memory leak slowly builds up making Firefox less and less responsive until it crashes after about an hour. Atm my solution is to 'end task' it every 30 minutes.

Toppot

Thanks for the reply. I tried it before but it doesn't seem to be very accurate. It says its using around 200mb but my task manager shows Firefox is using 1.3GB and rising. Plus the addon has this caveat

Many Add-ons, especially non-JetPack ones, may include static or dynamic overlays that may add scripts, DOM or styles directly to the browser. Such things cannot be distinguished from the browser itself and hence cannot be counted towards the add-on. As a result the actual add-on memory usage may be a lot higher than reported here!

I think I'll just have to go through the long process instead. Thanks though =]

Anyone else notice firefox being choppy since the new version released (May 15) At work its pretty much impossible to use, on my personal Laptop its much better but I definitely notice choppiness that didn't exists before

I run Firefox on three different operating systems and I haven't noticed any performance issues. Can you describe the choppiness? Is it loading issues or unsmooth scrolling?

I run Firefox on three different operating systems and I haven't noticed any performance issues. Can you describe the choppiness? Is it loading issues or unsmooth scrolling?

For my laptop there's an ever so slightly smoothness in the scrolling that never existed before on the older version. On my work laptop that is absolute shit there's a good half 2nd pause when I try to change tab plus a very noticeable choppiness when scrolling that also wasn't there before.

I did some google search and it turns out I am not the only one noticing this a suggestion was to disable hardware acceleration which I did and my firefox is now back to normal.

No the bookmarks sidebar is my reading list, every update Mozilla ads something that people just go into the config menu to immediately get rid of.

Mr_Zombie

Firefox just added something called Pocket to the toolbar. Not really sure why I'd need it when I just bookmark any articles I want to get back to. I found a link for how to disable it:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/05/14/how-to-disable-pocket-in-firefox/

Does anyone find Pocket useful?

Yes. I've been using it since it was still called "Read It Later". The main benefit for it over bookmarks is that you can use an app (available on virtually any mobile platform or a plug-in for a browser) or a website to read the article later whenever you are. With an app, you can also download saved articles to read it offline.

Pocket also strips articles from all the fluff (additional styling, ads, unnecessarily site content, social garbage etc).

EDIT: However, it looks like the Firefox implementation of build-in Pocket is quite shitty. With a plug-in you could automatically view an article in its clean form - now it's impossible via the Pocket button. There's still the Reader View implemented by Mozilla few builds ago (so it would double the functionality), but it doesn't work on every site.

You also can't quickly view your bookmarked articles. Clicking on the Pocket button opens a panel with a "View List" button, but it also automatically saves the page you are on to Pocket.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is there a way to remove "View Pocket List" from the bookmark menu? I disabled browser.pocket.enabled in about:config but the bookmark listing still shows up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy fuck 38 is so annoying - it doesn't close properly and it always freezes for a bit when opening new tabs.

Reverted back to 37.

Been having a memory memory leak issue with 38. Shooting up to 8-900mb after watching a few youtube videos. Currently using Palemoon until it gets resolved.

Mr_Zombie

Meh, I've been having memory leaks for few months now. After two hours or so of using the browser it starts eating up to 1.2gb of RAM resulting in either pages not rendering properly (black squares everywhere) or the browser crashing. I have no idea what can cause those issues since even disabling most plug-ins and add-ons (leaving only those few I really need) doesn't help.

Plus YouTube (HTML5 version, since I have Flash disabled) runs like shit.

Top Bottom