• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch | Spoiler Discussion

Regarding the ending, it felt like Delilah used Henry as a conduit to deal with the loneliness of the job in how she never confronted her accountability towards Brian's death or why she lied about Javier's breakup. Likewise, Henry needed to escape from the reality of his wife's dementia, which inadvertently drove his marriage through the woodshed.

It was bittersweet they never got to meet face to face, but I think both characters were isolated in their surroundings and they needed to go back to reality and confront the past decisions they've made in life. What a cool interesting game, looking forward to what that studio does next.

Finished the game, took about 4 hours.

1. I liked it just for the setting, and I got my money worth just hiking through the visually impressive forest. Great artwork, and, most importantly, great sound effects.
2. The beginning was as crushing as the first 10 minutes of Up.
3. The plot falls flat hard in the end. I really liked the beginning, doing chores, getting rid of stupid teens, just doing the Firewatcher stuff. It's nice escapism and the dialogue is great. If I were to do that for 4 hours and then help extinguish the fire and bond with Delilah, that would be enough for me.

The whole mystery thing was totally unnecessary, it was contrived, the tension is overdone (even the dialogue starts to sound off when they panic) and the payoff was...

Look, with all that amount of quality dialogue it really bugs me they couldn't bring the boy and his father (I don't even remember their names any more that's how forgettable they are) in some interesting and poignant way. They got mentioned a few times, when I was busy doing other stuff and didn't really pay attention, and when the story kicks in, I found the boy's lair and then the body I simply felt nothing. Worse, I was more concerened about remembereing why is this all important. Delilah really should've told the boy's story during a quiet moment in the tower, when watching the first where the lines would be more memorable. There couldn've been other cues to have these characters feature more prominently in the world: couldn't we have the boy's drawings in those loot-boxes instead of letters between Ron and some other guy, the point of which I don't really understand yet? At leasat something to suggest a creepy lunatic living in the forest, like tracks or apparel?

And I mean, I do get the point of the ending, but it could have worked much better if we were invested in that father and son story a bit more, otherwise, I just didn't care much about the death or the father's bunker, and thought way too much about how contrived the whole situation is. As for the overarching themes, they were done well. I played it straight and told Delilah that I need to go see my wife, and it was sad, so that part works. The whole drama really works, I just wish they could embrace that some games can actually just be dramas and stayed with it.

Completely agree with this.

HiiiLife

Enjoyed the beginning. Could feel the strings being tugged reading the story about Henry and Julia.

Also I am now following Cheap Talk on SoundCloud thanks to this game.

ArjanN

I had similar feelings finishing this after finishing watching the final episode of Lost. Plenty of tension and mystery throughout with a disappointing conclusion.

It was one hell of a ride though

Eh, Lost was just throwing tons of intriging, mysterious stuff at the wall and then the writers trying to think of an ending after the fact, because as a TV show they had no idea how long they'd have to keep the story going. Firewatch has red herrings and misdirection, but it's obviously written as a complete story.

That said, I also didn't think the ending was dissapointing.

I've been trying to figure out why Ned would go through all the trouble of faking that research center stuff to scare off Henry and Delilah and ultimately came to the conclusion that he was projecting the things that scare him or make him paranoid.

As a paranoid outdoors guy who, from what we know, kind of lived off the grid, the idea of a government monitoring his communications and whereabouts in a research station would probably be something he thought about often, and lacking any other solution to deal with Henry and Delilah probably made the most sense to him.

Jake

I've been trying to figure out why Ned would go through all the trouble of faking that research center stuff to scare off Henry and Delilah and ultimately came to the conclusion that he was projecting the things that scare him or make him paranoid.

As a paranoid outdoors guy who, from what we know, kind of lived off the grid, the idea of a government monitoring his communications and whereabouts in a research station would probably be something he thought about often, and lacking any other solution to deal with Henry and Delilah probably made the most sense to him.

It's weird to say that the following is "just my opinion," when I worked on the game, but it is that. I don't know if I have the canonical explanation for the workings of Ned Goodwin's mind but here's my take, more or less:

My thought on "why plant evidence in Wapiti," was that when Henry and Delilah brought it up first, he rolled with it. Until Henry and Delilah started imbuing the research site with meaning, I don't think it was anything special to Goodwin. He had opportunistically pilfered some supplies from there before, the same way he did from two forks, from hikers who passed through, but had no grand fears or ambitions for that locale.

So when he fucked up and left the Wapiti clipboard behind and Henry and Delilah jumped the gun and immediately started spinning themselves up about conspiracy, he leaned into it, and ran back to his place to hastily type up some "reports," rushed to get them into that tent in a semi-believable way before Henry got there, and did kind of a sloppy job, knocking all the shit over on the desk in his rush to get in and out. I always read that moment and Ned's motivation as "Henry and Delilah think it's some organized 'they' listening to them? Okay I'll give that to them and maybe they'll leave me alone."

(You're probably also correct that this plan partially came easily to Goodwin out of mistrust and rumination about the government, given his situation and what we know of his personality.)

It's weird to say that the following is "just my opinion," when I worked on the game, but it is that. I don't know if I have the canonical explanation for the workings of Ned Goodwin's mind but here's my take, more or less

Very interesting! I should probably play through a second time to refresh the series of events in my mind - since they were the first ones who brought up the idea of a 'conspiracy' then that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Kaversmed

Finished the game - loved it.

What was the deal with the photo of Henry and Julia always being tipped over on the desk, even though you just put it back in the window? I guess you could say it was the game's way of reminding you about Julia, kinda like a thought that always comes back to you - you can't let it go or control it.

Finished the game - loved it.

What was the deal with the photo of Henry and Julia always being tipped over on the desk, even though you just put it back in the window? I guess you could say it was the game's way of reminding you about Julia, kinda like a thought that always comes back to you - you can't let it go or control it.

In my opinion, it was Henry not wanting to think about her, thus, just putting it face down on the desk.

Here's the Kinda Funny spoiler talk with Sean and Jake about Firewatch, they talk a lot about the ending and their overall feelings about it, really good video:

Firewatch Spoilercast with Campo Santo

I'm around the 18-minute mark and they just read my question. Forgot I submitted one so I did a double take when I heard my full name.

I did all you can essentially do in the game but they're making me want to revisit again.

How did they not know about a scientific study on the land they were supposed to be overseeing? Especially when the scientists were in direct contact with the fire department? The way it sort of downplayed the experiments at the end was flat out lazy. Other than that I enjoyed the game a lot. There were a ton of moments that made me feel stuff. Henry was a great character and the exploration was top tier

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else find the ski by the tree at Cottonwood Creek? I was surprised there wasn't a radio dialogue on it considering all the other abandoned stuff you find you can ask Delilah about it. Oooh, another mystery! :)

Jake

Did anyone else find the ski by the tree at Cottonwood Creek? I was surprised there wasn't a radio dialogue on it considering all the other abandoned stuff you find you can ask Delilah about it. Oooh, another mystery! :)

Twist: There was dialogue written for it and then we forgot to record it. :(

How did they not know about a scientific study on the land they were supposed to be overseeing? Especially when the scientists were in direct contact with the fire department? The way it sort of downplayed the experiments at the end was flat out lazy. Other than that I enjoyed the game a lot. There were a ton of moments that made me feel stuff. Henry was a great character and the exploration was top tier

"They" did know. Delilah didn't. If she doesn't then Henry doesn't know. She's only there for the summer- it could have been set up during another season. I believe there is even a conversation that I didn't get where she says basically "oops, there was a memo here about it that I never read".

This has probably been answered somewhere, but what's the deal with the infestation of pine cones everywhere? Do they have any significance or Is it some sort of goofy running gag within the team?

Finished the game in one sitting. Ultimately, I really wanted to like Firewatch but it just feels like the game kinda goes nowhere. There are hints at interesting ideas here but they never really wrap up at all.

To my mind, the narrative has basically two sides. One is the human story between H and D, focusing around H's guilt of running away from his problems essentially. I feel like Ned is supposed to be sort of an extreme version of Henry, someone who sort of fucks up through little fault of their own (though Ned is certianly more at fault than Henry is) but then just shuts down and runs from their guilt.

I feel like there could be an interesting conversation here, because it does feel like Henry is happy for the first time in awhile, he's flirting with Delilah, building a relationship. Basically he's run from his problems and is better for it. I think what they wanted was for him to at some point come to a crossroads with Delilah where he either realizes he has to go back and stop running, or comes to terms with the fact that doing a shitty thing and abandoning his sick wife is really better for his own health.

I can just imagine a heated argument where Henry wants to run away with Delilah and she calls him on his cowardice, that he's a shitty person for running away, and the question left to the player is "What's more important? Doing whats right and sticking by your sick wife at the detriment of your own life and mental well being, or escaping from it and being happy?"

The thing is the game doesn't go in that direction. D and H's relationship just sort of ends. Even if you try and ask D to come with you back to Boulder she just shrugs you off, and that's that. Super weird conclusion to an otherwise well written relationship, even if it's not fleshed out as much as it maybe could be.

The other side of the narrative is the conspiracy stuff, which I have more direct problems with. The entire game is basically Red Herring: The Game constantly manipulating the player into thinking there is some broad x files shit going down only to reveal an anticlimactic conclusion. Then there's stuff like the Delilah phone conversation, which is literally just thrown at the player and then never addressed. The ripped up girl's tent which is never addressed, the girls themselves who it turns out just left and "LOL were in jail the whole time! Gotcha!". I think the point is really just to make the player and the characters feel paranoid and ultimately let them down, but it's just not effective. It just feels cheap.

It's further cheapened by the fact that all of this was perpetuated by Ned, which is fine, except none of his behavior makes any goddamn sense. Even if you handwave away the science station being abandoned and not on any maps despite shitloads of rangers and lookouts all over the place, there are other problems. Why does Ned fuck with Henry in the first place if he's really just trying to hide? Why did he not just dispose of the body? Why does he stash the key to the cave in a random fucking backpack hanging on a tree when he has a secret goddamn bunker? Where the fuck did he get this dumbass convoluted plan to write up psych analysis to freak the protagonists out? The only way to explain all this is that Ned is just completely out of his mind, but the game doesn't seem to really infer that at all.

They do an awesome job of building up tension and mystery on the conspiracy side, and then just fart out the entire plot on the last day on a radio tied to a string, turns out really nothing was going on other than being fucked with by an old man. They do an awesome job of building a human relationship and believable rapport between two apparently damaged individuals and then just end it unceremoniously, with no indication that anybody has grown.

Oh, and then the game part which was just sort of boring traversal around an admittedly gorgeous environment.

I feel like they should have just told their personal story between H and D, left all the conspiracy crap at the door, and spent that time actually developing the relationship more, and if not resolving it, at least asking some tough questions. Instead the game is just a big "Meh" for me.

It's clear the game wasn't shown to many people before release.

Whilst some people are happy with the ending, the vast majority are either indifferent or disappointed.

With a large enough sample size, this surely would have became an issue during development. That, or the developers were set on the ending no matter what others thought.

honestly i think the game would of benefited insanely from an extra day or two where you just get more information on ned and his kid. a quiet day with no conspiracy stuff, similar to going to the lake with the girls skinny dipping, while getting some more exposition on ned and his kid, delilah, etc. just one or two extra quiet days

I really wanted it too be Henry that had dementia and Delilah was his nurse, would of explained a lot more in my eyes.
From his wife talking too him and saying how nice the nurse was, The loneliness of his life and the constant "surveillance"

Even the fire could of been a metaphor for his memories burning away.

I really wanted it too be Henry that had dementia and Delilah was his nurse, would of explained a lot more in my eyes.
From his wife talking too him and saying how nice the nurse was, The loneliness of his life and the constant "surveillance"

the fire being his creeping dementia, i thought about that too.

the fire being his creeping dementia, i thought about that too.

This would of had a lot more impact as a story, and a view of someone suffering.
Unless this was right but of course, the person with dementia would never find out, so neither do we?

also it seems i was editing that in the same time you posted lol.

daveo42

Banned
Finished the game last night. My thoughts:

- Game near hooked me right off the bat with Henry's story of his wife's dementia and the struggles he had dealing with that situation. Never had to deal with that personally, but I felt for him and how he had to deal with losing someone he deeply cared for even though they are still there. Definitely was expecting more of a "cheating" issue than a medical one at the start.
- The mystery of the stranger rummaging through my stuff, the teenagers, the fenced off area all drove me forward in the story. The tiny tidbits of information I could get just added to my wonder of what was happening to Henry and Delilah and the why. It made no sense why anyone would be tracking us, looking through our stuff, and recording our every conversation. I had to find out the why.
- Interactions between Henry and Delilah were fantastic from start to finish. Every conversation felt authentic. I loved being able to choose how much of my story I told to Delilah and how much I got in return from her for my honesty. The problems with Ned, the conversations she had with Brian and her reaction with their inevitable ends.
- While I enjoyed the lead up to the end (the first two acts were amazing in terms of pacing and mystery), the end itself left me a bit unsatisfied. While what we did get was more in line with what would actually happen and was heartbreaking, all the mysteries and weird shit had such boring revelations. Again, probably a tribute to real life over our own wild fantasies of government conspiracy, aliens and whatever else we can cook up. A bit more depth on Ned could have gone a long way, though I did feel for Brian and his situation. I choked up when I came across is body in the cave.
- The game looks beautiful, regardless of it's technical issues. I took a few screenshots and pictures of the area during the game.

Overall, I did enjoy the game and hope that Campo Santo makes another narrative-driven game. They did a fantastic job in conveying their story through dialogue and interesting characters, and I look forward to whatever they do in the future.

Auctopus

Did you notice how when you stepped out of the tent, you could see Delilah's tower as well? So, if she could spot you rambling down some rocks on Day 2, there's no way she couldn't have spotted the fence and the campsite.

honestly i think the game would of benefited insanely from an extra day or two where you just get more information on ned and his kid. a quiet day with no conspiracy stuff, similar to going to the lake with the girls skinny dipping, while getting some more exposition on ned and his kid, delilah, etc. just one or two extra quiet days

Yeah, this. There are other changes I could ask for, certainly getting rid of Ned doctoring the research notes, maybe have the Ned and his son thing more focused on Henry to pull out the isolation/paranoia angle on him more, but those are more personal requests and really just having a few more days of work before the first time skip would help the most.

I think this is doing well for them? That's what I heard and hope it's true. Wish them all the best and can't wait to see what's next.

Meia

I had similar feelings finishing this after finishing watching the final episode of Lost. Plenty of tension and mystery throughout with a disappointing conclusion.

It was one hell of a ride though

Very much this.

All the red herrings about some uber mystery with government conspiracies, missing people, and a phone conversation with Delilah you overhear all leading to one of the worst payoffs I've seen in a gaming story(well, the ones I play anyway). That most of these get wrapped up in the last day when you have to just to a helicopter is so disappointing I have trouble getting it into words.

All the little choices you make in the game(Julia's photo is always overturned each day, do you put on the wedding ring again or not) all amount to fuck-all in terms of a payoff. Game had such a great beginning and was solid most of the way through, then totally petered out in the last half hour. It had the feel of a game studio running out of money for the project and having to wrap it up as quickly as they could... :\

fallout

It's interesting reading all the reactions. I was actually a little worried we'd get some dumb alien/government conspiracy/wacky twist.

Wreav

Banned
From Reddit, a plot theory that ties up a lot of the functionally useless events (getting locked in cave, other person D talks to on open mic, big fire starting).

Here’s my crazy theory - Ned and Delilah are lovers, and Brian's death was a tragic accident that was going to tear their relationship apart if anybody ever found out. Delilah let Ned sneak his kid into the area, and then when Brian fell to his death, Delilah wanted to leave while Ned wanted to stay. Ned couldn’t go back home to 21 questions, and Delilah didn’t want to bring the authorities in on multiple occasions, because she didn’t want them to find the body. Why else would she not report two missing girls, and lie about doing it when you ask her to?

So Delilah hatches a plan to get out of this place with Ned, all the while blaming the crazy new guy whose life was falling apart back home, and had every reason to go psycho. Rather than working with Ned, Delilah instigates him into making poor decisions. Meanwhile, Ned tries to leave no evidence of his relationship with Delilah, treating her like a subject of his fictional study, just like Henry.

And so Delilah tells you that the guy who shines his flashlight in your eyes is nobody. And then she gets you a new walkie talkie. And then she gets you the key to the cave, activating the tracker after knowing you would be able to find it. And then she waits.
Meanwhile Ned starts to do unreasonable things. When you find the key to the cave, he tries to lock you in there. After you get away, he sets fire to the place, hoping to burn all the evidence in case you call in the authorities. Afterall, with Delilah the only person aware of the death, Ned was safe. But now a third party knows. A third party that isn’t in love with Ned. And so Ned does the one thing he’s wanted to avoid for so long - he burns the place down, torching all the evidence, and leaves.

Ned has been given an escape - he was able to start the fire (thus covering up the incident), and with Delilah’s help, the blame falls squarely on Henry’s shoulders, whether he lives or dies.

From Reddit, a plot theory that ties up a lot of the functionally useless events (getting locked in cave, other person D talks to on open mic, big fire starting).

That theory is all kinds of wonky, timeline wise. Not the least of which is the fact that the Firewatch only works during the Summer and Brian's body is way too far decomposed for his death to have happened anytime recently.

DigtialT

That theory is all kinds of wonky, timeline wise. Not the least of which is the fact that the Firewatch only works during the Summer and Brian's body is way too far decomposed for his death to have happened anytime recently.

Brian looked like he was either in the Black Putrefaction or Fermentation state of decay, all of which can happen within 10 to 50 days after death.

Even the fire could of been a metaphor for his memories burning away.

I'm really glad that they did not do this. Let metaphors be metaphors. Let the story be the story. To have everything be "not real" reduces the actual impact. Not to mention you see these stories all the time in workshops. Stories that succeed without a world-shattering twist will last much longer, imo.

prag16

Banned
Finished this last night (did it in two sittings over two nights, around 4.5 hours total), and not quite sure what to make of it. Can't help but feel like the ending was unfulfilling. The Henry/Delilah arc doesn't have any kind of satisfying conclusion, and there seem to be a TON of red herrings strewn about that end up amounting to absolutely nothing, unless I missed a bunch of stuff... There's just no story payoff. For anything. Having come right from The Witness which was even "worse" in this regard, didn't help any.

Wasn't a fan of the approach they took with shitting out a narrative dump on a voice recording as the big reveal.

The game actually got me to buy the rapport and dynamic Henry and Delilah had going. I said fuck it, and pursued the "romance" type of options where available. Henry had been dealt a shitty hand, had made a couple poor decisions, and now maybe had a shot at finding some amount of peace. Sure, go for it.

Instead, Delilah (who may not have been being honest with Henry about various things?) just says loljk "nothing to do here" and jetpacks the fuck out of there.

I predicted in my head very early on that the game would find a way to have the two main characters never lay eyes on eachother (up close) and rolled my eyes when that turned out to be correct.

Cool game though, and I'll be greatly interested in whatever they do next, even if this third act of this one fell kind of flat for me.

Brian looked like he was either in the Black Putrefaction or Fermentation state of decay, all of which can happen within 10 to 50 days after death.

The boy is basically mummified when you find him, with a skin-color and apparent desiccation that is reminiscent of mummies found in cold places:

m82fjEH.png
Henry even comments on the temperature in the cave, which would have helped preserve the body.

Spyware

I'm really glad that they did not do this. Let metaphors be metaphors. Let the story be the story. To have everything be "not real" reduces the actual impact. Not to mention you see these stories all the time in workshops. Stories that succeed without a world-shattering twist will last much longer, imo.
Thanks for putting this into words. I fully agree with you.

Jake

Ucchedavāda;195636128 said:
The boy is basically mummified when you find him, with a skin-color and apparent desiccation that is reminiscent of mummies found in cold places:

Henry even comments on the temperature in the cave, which would have helped preserve the body.

We have a (now-empty) Slack channel called #picture-of-a-corpse cordoned off from the main art channel and it has bad photos in it. It was nothing compared to the photo reference we had to look at on Walking Dead when figuring out what a bashed in face would look like, when you pulled part of it off with a claw hammer, etc, but it was still super gross.

We have a (now-empty) Slack channel called #picture-of-a-corpse cordoned off from the main art channel and it has bad photos in it. It was nothing compared to the photo reference we had to look at on Walking Dead when figuring out what a bashed in face would look like, when you pulled part of it off with a claw hammer, etc, but it was still super gross.

The things you do for art.

Finished this today. Enjoyed the raport between Henry and Delilah. Liked the scenery and the initial sense of mystery. By the end I wasn't exactly sure what Ned's motive was. If he doesn't want to get rumbled then surely not follwing Henry with a flashlight and ransacking his lookout tower would be exactly the sort of behaviour to avoid. Thought most of the plot after discovering the truth fell a bit flat.

I enjoyed this alternate theory on Geek Remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpKFxN1tukg&ab_channel=GeekRemix

The theory doesn't hold up as the folks at Campo have cleared up some story details since, on spoilercasts and what not.
But the main thing that stood out for me is, how the hell did Delilah really hike all the way over and PAST your tower to drop off that second walkie talkie? It's like around 14-18 miles to hike to Cottonmeadow and back. Why wouldn't she just drop it off to you personally? Or at least closer to her side of the forest....It's super weird behavior. Especially since she tells you to go find it around like before noon that day.

Parham

Banned
I don't think I took much away from the story. It just came and went, with the most memorable moments being from the first hour. The game looks beautiful though.

Ergh, that sounds rather unpleasant to have to deal with.
Hopefully your other research was more enjoyable.

Top Bottom