• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Baldur's Gate 3 PS5 Impressions - "No Stable 60FPS - Performance vs Quality Mode"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL;DR

- Quality mode: 1440p, targets 30 FPS
- Performance mode: Also looks 1440p but targets 60 FPS

- Quality mode: 30 FPS, can drop below target.
- Performance mode: Lots of drops, can drop below 30 as well. Has lots of screen tearing.
- VRR fixes tearing as long as the game is in VRR range
- Visual quality between Quality and Performance looks same.

- Load times: Fast travel took 43~ seconds.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
- Quality mode: 1440p, targets 30 FPS
- Performance mode: Also looks 1440p but targets 60 FPS
- Performance mode: Lots of drops, can drop below 30
- Visual quality between Quality and Performance looks same.

The fuck?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like this needs work. Either that or pro consoles.

adamsapple adamsapple did you happen to post threads for this guys coverage of Starfield, particularly the SDR/HDR stuff? Or did I miss it?

No, don't really follow this channel but this is one of the first impressions for the PS5 version of the game anywhere.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Here's another video. He says that performance mode is a upscaled from a native resolution of 1080p. PS5 can't deliver a solid 60fps. Most of the time it's between 40-50fps. Performance in Act 3 runs like rubbish and is around 30fps in performance mode. Larian says they're aware of it and are working on a fix (I'm getting really tired of hearing stuff like this honestly). I'm disappointed in this port. I'll probably wait to see if the Series X version fares a little better before choosing which console to play it on.

Del_X

Here's another video. He says that performance mode is a upscaled from a native resolution of 1080p. PS5 can't deliver a solid 60fps. Most of the time it's between 40-50fps. Performance in Act 3 runs like rubbish and is around 30fps in performance mode. Larian says they're aware of it and are working on a fix (I'm getting really tired of hearing stuff like this honestly). I'm disappointed in this port. I'll probably wait to see if the Series X version fares a little better before choosing which console to play it on.

The game is decently CPU heavy so I doubt it will be a locked 30 on the series consoles. Maybe the stuff the MS engineers helped them with will help it be a bit more stable but I don’t see it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the PS5 pro struggles to get 60.

The game is decently CPU heavy so I doubt it will be a locked 30 on the series consoles. Maybe the stuff the MS engineers helped them with will help it be a bit more stable but I don’t see it.

It's CPU heavy because the engine is terrible. There are much more CPU and GPU demanding games out there that run much better than this. This should be 4K 60 FPS easily on PS5.

Zuzu

I think you'll be right. I'll probably have to play this on my 1080p monitor so it's best that I get the Xbox version (if it's decent) because it supports freesync with the monitor. I was hoping that it would be 1440p base resolution in performance mode with better performance that wouldn't fall out of the VRR window on PS5. Then I could've played it on my Oled. But looks like I'll have to wait until the Series X version. Oh well, at least it also has quick resume which might help playing this game more convenient.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I know being a console owner is that CRPG devs don't give a damn about the console versions of their games. Larian ia the only one that even cared enough to give us a locked 30 at 4k in the past and minimal bugs with DOS2. So, even being Larian i'm not expecting great performance. Dont get me wrong it'll still piss me off if they can't get this to dynamic 4k/locked 60 and it already sounds like they failed on that end. Other crpg devs though wouldn't even TRY to give us 2 modes.

Its a shame really because these devs are charging us the same $60-$70 dollars. Consoles get the shaft more often then not these days. Btw HDR is broken too in this game.

nowhat

Wonder why load times are so long when I have a m.2 SSD in my PC and fast travel between locations in the same map took ~3-5 seconds. Loading between areas took about 29 or so.
My completely just-pulled-it-out-my-ass guess (just playing it right now) is that Larian doesn't yet use the correct PS5 APIs for I/O. Like, PS4 backcompat games load faster for sure on PS5, but you're still not going to see Insomniac-level load times without the real APIs.

As to why the game would use the old PS4 I/O, well, it has been in development for a while. PS4 may very well have been a target at some point.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PC game. Its not a game that is designed for consoles.
This gen consoles are outdated already.
i dont understand why performance settings is same with quality mode.
Why not reduce it to increase the FPS?

Reactions: TLZ
PC game. Its not a game that is designed for consoles.
This gen consoles are outdated already.

If they're charging $70 then you can't just excuse poor performance with "PC game". Yeah, the consoles are outdated already. Still, doesn't change the fact that most devs these days can't seem to optomize for shit. Esp crpg devs on consoles. They just throw their games on the storefronts and string us along with promises of "fixes" that never come yet of course they still charge $60-$70! Look at PoE2 and Pathfinder WotR. Crap performance, shitty settings, hard crashing, 3 patches behind PC until they eventually abandon console. It's easy for you to hand wave away bad behavior from devs since you are on their preferred platform but what does that say about you?

My completely just-pulled-it-out-my-ass guess (just playing it right now) is that Larian doesn't yet use the correct PS5 APIs for I/O. Like, PS4 backcompat games load faster for sure on PS5, but you're still not going to see Insomniac-level load times without the real APIs.

As to why the game would use the old PS4 I/O, well, it has been in development for a while. PS4 may very well have been a target at some point.

If devs are going to give consoles an inferior game they shouldn't also be charging $70. That's bullshit.

feynoob

If they're charging $70 then you can't just excuse poor performance with "PC game". Yeah, the consoles are outdated already. Still, doesn't change the fact that most devs these days can't seem to optomize for shit. Esp crpg devs on consoles. They just throw their games on the storefronts and string us along with promises of "fixes" that never come yet of course they still charge $60-$70! Look at PoE2 and Pathfinder WotR. Crap performance, shitty settings, hard crashing, 3 patches behind PC until they eventually abandon console. It's easy for you to hand wave away bad behavior from devs since you are on their preferred platform but what does that say about you?
I am not excusing them for that.
This is something companies have gotten away for a long time.
As long as the game is good, people wont complain about these stuff that much. They know it. Its why bethesda/EA/Ubisoft keep doing those stuff everytime.

darrylgorn

i dont understand why performance settings is same with quality mode.
Why not reduce it to increase the FPS?

Likely CPU limited, so it would either be LOD that would need to be scaled back along with dynamic interactions.

The only other way would be to reduce the number of NPCs existing in the game.

I'm assuming there's no DLSS implementation, otherwise that would be a huge boost if they could find a way to inject that into the game.

Top Bottom