• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

agent00

I had no idea the difference between the old ps4 and the pro. I thought I had to buy a 4k tv to justify the pro, but I guess not. Saves me money!

III-V

Shit, this thing is going to make me play TLOU a fourth time through, and UC4 a third.

Trying to hold out for black friday on a KS8000 but I'm getting antsy. I preordered the console a while back.

people are giving out codes to purchase it at nearly half price in the other thread. I doubt its going to get much better than that anytime soon.

Nothing on these screens in OP is targeted at 4K TV users. This is thread for users who game on ordinary 1080p TVs.

We are discussing the obvious differences between sub-1080p version of Titanfall 2 on base PS4 and much clearer 1080p+ and then downsampled image quality from a PS4 Pro. Some here are considering an upgrade, and some are considering what PS4 version to buy this holiday since price difference is not large.

What you should know is the screens in the OP are actually from a PS4 Pro hooked up to a 4k TV and posted to google by kubinsky and other users have resized them through photoshop or something similar.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223006783&postcount=2984

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What does the tv it's hooked up to matter? If the console is set to 1080p as the highest resolution and screenshots are taken they will be 1080p downsampled.

It doesn't matter what TV is hooked up, the output will be the same. A member only downsized the image to 1080p to simulate downsampling, which is accurate.

The person I'm quoting is saying the shots are downsampled from a PS4 Pro. They're not downsampled from a PS4 Pro.

Nvidia employ a filter with smoothness settings, who knows what Sony do or don't do or what kind of scaling method they use or sharpen filters, bicupic scalers. If you want a true downsampled PS4 pro image then take one from the PS4 Pro, not run it through photoshop or use press shots.

The Skyrim images posted here show what to expect

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223085475&postcount=713

Inuhanyou

The person I'm quoting is saying the shots are downsampled from a PS4 Pro. They're not downsampled from a PS4 Pro.

I am not sure what you are even talking about honestly.

Kubinsky used his PS4 share button to share PNG shots on his PS4 Pro. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please state it.

jett

D-Member

Nvidia employ a filter with smoothness settings, who knows what Sony do or don't do or what kind of scaling method they use or sharpen filters, bicupic scalers. If you want a true downsampled PS4 pro image then take one from the PS4 Pro, not run it through photoshop or use press shots.

The Skyrim images posted here show what to expect

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223085475&postcount=713

This is something that people should keep in mind indeed.

Kubinsky used his PS4 share button to share PNG shots on his PS4 Pro. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please state it.

On Photoshop there's a variety of ways you can resize an image. In the OP we're not seeing the actual downsampling quality of the Pro.

btkadams

Is Titanfall 2 on PS4 pro going to be 1080p+ in multiplayer too? Just wondering if they allow that or if it will cap at 900p.

Taker34

Banned
The user also claims this:

Not sure if he took a native 4k framebuffer and downsized it to 1080p on a computer. Maybe i understood that wrong.
And that's what I see on screen. The downsized 4K screenshots are matching the game 1:1, while the 1080p screenshots have weird artifacting and horrible AA from what it looks like. The edges are a lot rougher when taking full HD screenshots. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I switched and compared the screenshots with my actual in game screen on the PS4 Pro.

platina

And that's what I see on screen. The downsized 4K screenshots are matching the game 1:1, while the 1080p screenshots have weird artifacting and horrible AA from what it looks like. The edges are a lot rougher when taking full HD screenshots. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I switched and compared the screenshots with my actual in game screen on the PS4 Pro.

That's weird, can you post the 1080p screenshot for comparison to see what's wrong with it? Maybe the pro mode is bugged.

Taker34

Banned
That's weird, can you post the 1080p screenshot for comparison to see what's wrong with it? Maybe the pro mode is bugged.

Here's what I did since you obviously can't show the real screen, 1080p and 4K difference with screenshots:

I placed a camera close to my monitor and took the exact same image of a tree:

Real gameplay:
image96ufn.jpeg
1080p PNG:
4K PNG:

platina

Here's what I did since you obviously can't show the real screen, 1080p and 4K difference with screenshots:

I placed a camera close to my monitor and took the exact same image of a tree:

Real gameplay:

1080p PNG:

4K PNG:

Weird the 1080p screenshot is noticeably sharper on my screen. Not sure what's going on there.

Kubinsky has a PS4 Pro connected to a 4k TV and posted the resulting 3840x2160p images to google, end of story.

Kubinsky shots are not downsampled to 1080p from his PS4. I quoted a user saying they're downsampled to 1080p from a PS4 Pro but they aren't.

Not really .
Some games pro going to help more than others .
Plus TF2 is below 1080p on OG PS4 so that also a factor .
Also Skyrim is still very much last gen game which also a factor .

I was just referencing someone who had a PS4 Pro hooked up to a 1080p TV. Shots in the OP are resized via an unknown app, could be photoshop iranview or MSpaint, you'll have to trace the users and ask them.

Point is taking a PS4 Pro shot which was connected to a 4k TV and resizing it yourself using a plethora of scalers available in many image resizing programs may or may not be simiar to what the PS4 Pro actually does.

I'd want to see a true downsampled PS4 Pro image hooked up to 1080p to see it for real. Sony may or may not use a Gaussian blur for instance, they may use a slight sharpen filter, we don't know what type of scaling they use.

thatJohann

I don't think you'll see the difference of the downsampling from the Pro on a 1080p TV unless you had them side by side. Especially in motion so I'm disappointed. Seems like PS4 Pro isn't really worth it without a 4K tv. I'll stick to my 1080p Samsung tv for a bit longer and get the Pro when it's cheap.

Inuhanyou

Kubinsky has a PS4 Pro connected to a 4k TV and posted the resulting 3840x2160p images to google, end of story.

Kubinsky shots are not downsampled to 1080p from his PS4. I quoted a user saying they're downsampled to 1080p from a PS4 Pro but they aren't.

Someone ELSE manually downsampled them via compressing the images later on in the thread, he never claimed he downsampled them

I don't think you'll see the difference of the downsampling from the Pro on a 1080p TV unless you had them side by side. Especially in motion so I'm disappointed. Seems like PS4 Pro isn't really worth it without a 4K tv. I'll stick to my 1080p Samsung tv for a bit longer and get the Pro when it's cheap.

Discerning users will. Stop pushing a false narrative that was already proven incorrect. Image quality is noticeable.

Briarios

Not "I don't think you'll ..." -- your correct language should be "I don't think I'll ..."

I can can already see a difference, so you don't speak for me. Speaking for yourself? Great -- but you shouldn't push the idea that others can't see it or find value in the Pro for their 1080p sets.

This is exactly what i hoped for and i can clearly see it.
But we all have to make that decision based on how much of a difference is worth the upgrade ofcourse. Just don't speak for others.

DOWN

Banned
Will games like Overwatch and GTA which have major online support still planned be getting updated for Pro?

No. The reduced aliasing is easy to see and worth it regardless of what TV you have if you really care about the visuals. I'm extremely pleased with improvement, but I can totally understand why some might not care. Saying it isn't worth it for any one without a 4K TV is bullshit at this point though.

I think the difference is pretty clear. You might not see it, but I disagree. In motion, the difference will only be more pronounced because things are significantly sharper.

Will games like Overwatch and GTA which have major online support still planned be getting updated for Pro?

I'd expect Overwatch to get something just because blizzard are really good with post release support. I doubt anything for GTA V unless serious money is being exchanged behind the scenes though.

Taker34

Banned
Weird the 1080p screenshot is noticeably sharper on my screen. Not sure what's going on there.

Sent you a PM along with a 1080p Pro screenshot... you'll probably notice the artifacts whatever is wrong with it. When you look at the image, focus on the left tree. Then compare it with the 3 photos I've posted. You'll see that the 1080p Pro screenshot does not resemble what's on screen.
Wish John (dark10x) could also take a look at it as it is kinda weird, imo. A 1080p screenshot should resemble what I'm seeing on screen, right?

Freeman76

The titanfall shots look massively different but none of the Skyrim ones look any different practically whatsoever. Need to see more evidence of other games as I know Bethesda are lazy fuckers and may not have bothered making much use of PRO features.

Someone ELSE manually downsampled them via compressing the images later on in the thread, he never claimed he downsampled them

Are you for real?

My entire point is someone else resampled them and the images in the OP are not downsampled to 1080p from a PS4 Pro.

Let me take you back here where you first quoted me
3Eec.jpg

Can you read the post. I say others users have resized them. Why are you a few posts later trying to tell me other users resized them?

Phreak47

people are giving out codes to purchase it at nearly half price in the other thread. I doubt its going to get much better than that anytime soon.

Just came back to say I scored the EPP deal. 1279 + tax for the 65. Woot. Get the right EPP invite and you're in... some companies evidently don't include the samsung discounts according to what i'm reading.

bombshell

The titanfall shots look massively different but none of the Skyrim ones look any different practically whatsoever. Need to see more evidence of other games as I know Bethesda are lazy fuckers and may not have bothered making much use of PRO features.

I personally would not look at remasters for significant graphical PS4 Pro upgrades.

Inuhanyou

Are you for real?

My entire point is someone else resampled them and the images in the OP are not downsampled to 1080p from a PS4 Pro.

Let me take you back here where you first quoted me
3Eec.jpg

Can you read the post. I say others users have resized them. Why are you a few posts later trying to tell me other users resized them?

Because i am generally confused as to what your actual point was in the first place. Excuse me for not following you 100%

Blinck

If those were resampled through photoshop that might not be what we are getting on the Pro.

Photoshop has a lot of downsizing enhancements and options that might not translate to what the Pro does on a TV.

jdmonmou

If those were resampled through photoshop that might not be what we are getting on the Pro.

Photoshop has a lot of downsizing enhancements and options that might not translate to what the Pro does on a TV.
If those images aren't coming directly from a Pro connected to a 1080p TV then the OP should be updated to state that.

5taquitos

Because i am generally confused as to what your actual point was in the first place. Excuse me for not following you 100%

That's what he's trying to say, and I agree a bit too.

Jacob4815

I was very hyped but if these screenshots were downsampled with Photoshop or others, they are not legit. Topic title should be edited.

Grief.exe

Console GAF is woke.

I remember back in 2011 when downsampling Skyrim, the prevailing argument was the eye couldn't see past 720p.

I'm having an existential moment right now.
People on here actually said that? Fucking hell.

Neogaf has changed so much it's almost parody. ConsoleGAF sounds like PC gamers from a decade ago.

Eye can't see higher than 720p. Now everyone is waking up to 4K.
Eye can't see past 24 FPS. Now I frequently see people desiring 60 FPS games. Wait until you guys see 144FPS, butter.
Buying new hardware in the form of upgraded consoles. "I don't want to upgrade every two years," is still frequently seen in PC threads despite it being wildly inaccurate.
Desire for remastered games in higher resolutions. Always been one of the huge upsides of PC games is buy it once, play it in the future at whatever resolution is relevant.

I'm not exaggerating, PC threads used to be inundated with some strange opinions that seem completely ironic looking back. They seemed absurd at the time as well, but they were so pervasive that it was difficult to struggle through the noise.

I was very hyped but if these screenshots were downsampled with Photoshop or others, they are not legit. Topic title should be edited.

When i created the thread i was under the impression that these screenshots were straight from a PS4 Pro.

Apparently not, tbh i'd just close the thread. Lots of bullshit being spread lately.

BigEmil

Neogaf has changed so much it's almost parody. ConsoleGAF sounds like PC gamers from a decade ago.

Eye can't see higher than 720p. Now everyone is waking up to 4K.
Eye can't see past 24 FPS. Now I frequently see people desiring 60 FPS games. Wait until you guys see 144FPS, butter.
Buying new hardware in the form of upgraded consoles. "I don't want to upgrade every two years," is still frequently seen in PC threads despite it being wildly inaccurate.
Desire for remastered games in higher resolutions. Always been one of the huge upsides of PC games is buy it once, play it in the future at whatever resolution is relevant.

I'm not exaggerating, PC threads used to be inundated with some strange opinions that seem completely ironic looking back. They seemed absurd at the time as well, but they were so pervasive that it was difficult to struggle through the noise.
Don't get the point of your posts, and? You remember a few persons posts from years ago ok then, now each and every single console player said those stuff? Don't be ridiculous and get off your high horse

jdmonmou

Just so I have my facts right.

On a 1080p set, games running in pro mode will render beyond 1080p and downsample automatically to fit a 1080p resoloution correct?
That's only if the developer supports it. But I think most will going forward.

Does anyone know how much downsampling will impact performance? Like will you have to choose between no downsampling/60 FPS or downsampling/less than 60 FPS. Or will you be able to have both downsampling and 60 FPS?

Top Bottom