• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of the Nintendo Switch touchscreen in action

Cerium

And it's Skylanders booooo

For some reason Nintendo hasn't been showing this shit to people themselves. Either that or it hasn't occurred to any journalist to try it yet.

They've made some noise about the HD Rumble in the Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller (for more on that watch this video) but for whatever reason they're not really spreading awareness of the touchscreen and its haptic feedback / virtual buttons. Maybe because that's for portable mode and right now they're really pushing the home console aspect?

Immersion announced on Friday that it signed a multi-year deal with Nintendo to bring its patented technology to the Switch. The technology, once adapted to the Nintendo Switch console, will assist design efforts by giving developers access to the TouchSense software suite. According to the press release, ”Immersion's TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world."

Immersion appears to be looking forward with its new partnership with Nintendo, though. ”Nintendo sets the bar with their gaming systems, and adding advanced touch effects will give them an additional edge in delivering an incredible gaming experience to their customers."

TouchSense technology makes touchscreen controls come alive, giving users the sense that they are touching physical buttons.
It can be expected that when Switch developers gain greater control over touchscreen development with TouchSense technology, gameplay experiences on the Switch will become more refined and immersive.

Edit: Many posters seem interested in the apparently high quality of the screen itself.

If Nintendo Co. finds success with its videogame console, Switch, it could brighten the future not only of Nintendo but also of Japan Display Inc., a struggling display maker that won the contract to make the Switch's screens.

People familiar with the matter said Nintendo picked Japan Display as the exclusive supplier of the Switch's 6.2-inch touch-sensitive liquid-crystal display. The Switch, which can be used both as a stationary console and a hand-held player on the go, is to go on sale globally March 3.

The contract calls for Japan Display to supply three million screens in an initial batch, and the company is gearing up to ship slightly more than 10 million units by the end of this year
, the people said. However, the latter figure is subject to change depending on sales, they said. Spokesmen for Nintendo and JDI declined to comment.
Japan Display, which was created in 2012 out of the display units of Sony Corp., Hitachi Ltd. and Toshiba Corp., makes iPhone panels and relies on Apple for more than half its revenue. When iPhone sales slowed last year, Japan Display ran short of cash. In December, it tapped government-backed Innovation Network Corp. of Japan for ¥75 billion ($664 million) in aid.
Japan Display says it has developed a liquid-crystal display optimized for virtual reality. While people familiar with the matter say Nintendo isn't planning a foray into the virtual-reality industry for now, Japan Display could use the Switch contract to establish its credentials with other virtual-reality headset makers.

Source is here
Really weird that there's only one game on the show floor that uses it. I'd imagine they'll add touch screen support to these games later, but it's weird that none of them showcased it.
Maybe to focus on the actual new tech like the Switch itself and the joy cons?

They don't want it to seem like a dedicated handheld just yet. They're letting 3DS breathe a little longer.
I mean, this has to be it, doesn't it? The Switch will clearly one day replace both but following the 3DS price issues they're probably waiting till the system is cheaper and then they can pivot their marketing.

It makes sense that they're not really showing off the touchscreen because you can't use it in one of its two modes. It also makes sense that games wouldn't be doing a ton with touchscreen stuff for the same reason.

Learning from that video that at least one game (I think he said Mario Kart 8?) doesn't respond to touch AT ALL, on the other hand, is strange. Like, not even in the UI? But I'm probably reading too much into a single offhand comment that I couldn't even hear super clearly.

I mean, this has to be it, doesn't it? The Switch will clearly one day replace both but following the 3DS price issues they're probably waiting till the system is cheaper and then they can pivot their marketing.

Don't want to muddle the general message of what the Switch brings to the table with all the secondary features they have. Once they get the mobility message out and about at launch, it'll be easier to change the marketing to include the touch controls, the motion controls, the HD Rumble, etc.

13ruce

Banned
The it feels like physical buttons part is nice why the hell did they not advertise that in the conference.

Griss

I think they are downplaying it because you don't have access to it in docked mode.

It makes sense that they're not really showing off the touchscreen because you can't use it in one of its two modes. It also makes sense that games wouldn't be doing a ton with touchscreen stuff for the same reason.

Learning from that video that at least one game (I think he said Mario Kart 8?) doesn't respond to touch AT ALL, on the other hand, is strange. Like, not even in the UI? But I'm probably reading too much into a single offhand comment that I couldn't even hear super clearly.

Exactly. If they're pitching it as a home console, and the touch screen can't be used when it's a home console, what software is going to bother using the touchscreen?

And in that case, why advertise it? Especially since it's just a feature people expect tablets to have these days anyway and not something that will impress anyone.

Wil348

Out of morbid curiousity, I wonder if games for Switch will ever offer virtual controls? I would still use the joy-cons every day of the week of course but it would be interesting to see.

The amount of distance it takes to initiate dragging of content is too far. Could be the software, I really hope it isn't innate to the screen design or OS.

TLZ

Banned
They don't want it to seem like a dedicated handheld just yet. They're letting 3DS breathe a little longer.
I don't believe that's the case. Everyone's already considering it a handheld first and they showcased its portability well enough. I think they don't have the proper apps ready to showcase touchscreen properly. When they have the apps ready, they will.

Avixph

Out of morbid curiousity, I wonder if games for Switch will ever offer virtual controls? I would still use the joy-cons every day of the week of course but it would be interesting to see.
Perhaps virtual console games will offer virtual controls.

I think it would be an interesting consideration, but likely not.
Maybe something like Bayonetta can retain its gamepad mode?

alf717

Screen looks very nice and very responsive. Hope all screens are of the same standards and not a luck game like with the New 3DS.

NimbusD

This is the kind of stuff that annoys me about nintendo. They're so allergic to showing off what they don't think is the most important thing, leaving everyone to speculate and create their own narrative.

It does actually look great.

It could just be the software, but it does look kind of slow. Reminds me of my older Android tablet rather than my iPad.
I just... don't see it?

When he taps the icons they move slowly but that's definitely the animation, not screen responsiveness. When he is scrolling left and right the screen reacts very quickly - perhaps even too sensitively as at one point he accidentally knocks it in the other direction then puts it back on track.

Wdit: I might be wrong I guess. Rewatching it does seem to hitch a little bit. Hmm.

nikos

The amount of distance it takes to initiate dragging of content is too far. Could be the software, I really hope it isn't innate to the screen design or OS.

Noticed that was well. Didn't look very good overall. I'm used to Apple devices. Everything else feels off in comparison.

Going in with low-ish expectations and hoping for a surprise and delight.

duckroll

Isn't the Touchsense thing for haptic feedback speculation and not confirmed? I remember there being a lot of confusion in the previous thread because it could just be technology Nintendo licensed for the Joycons instead? Did anyone ever get any clarification?

Wil348

I know that I could easily just use any other smart device but it's kind of a shame that there won't be any video apps or a browser(?) at launch. The screen looks really nice and on a hardware-level the tablet section could easily function as a proper tablet, they just need the software.

Top Bottom