• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of the Nintendo Switch touchscreen in action

timshundo

I guess we'll have to see. It's pretty silly how Nintendo doesn't come out and clear this shit up instantly. I mean, it's launching in a little over a month, if it has cool new features people don't know about completely, it's time to talk about it... right? Lol.

They say it has a capacitive touch screen in the big presentation. They're not going to boast about it because as someone said above it creates feature disparity between TV and Handheld mode. It's there because it just kinda has to be. Probably doesn't cost a whole more than not having a touch screen.

mlclmtckr

Banned
This Switch-as-tablet talk has got me wondering how comfortable/durable the screen edges will be with the Joycons unattached. Maybe the Joycon grip will also fit onto the side of the console?

A few days ago, I managed to stumble across this image pertaining to the Nintendo Switch

JibXWN8.png

This means that Switch games can exclude and support different modes depending on what the developers intend for the game. Which means, we might see "mode exclusive" games for the Switch, or at least, mode exclusive features for Switch games. This opens up more possibilities and control options for Switch games. This means we could see touch controlled games only playable in Handheld mode, or co-op games only playable in Tabletop mode. The possibilities are endless

Breath of the Wild's official site advertises it can be played in handheld or TV mode as well. I assumed this was probably just to give the Switch more exposure, but it seems they might be open to games with limited mode options. It's not hard to imagine touch games that exclude TV mode and motion games that exclude handheld mode. I doubt they'll be a large percentage of Switch's library, however.

Edit: I can't imagine any scenario in which a game is playable in TV mode but not tabletop mode or vice versa, other than Nintendo allowing for games that require the extra power the dock provides (which imo isn't likely).

They made such an attractive product here, purely from a hardware point of view. After it builds a nice library and if it gets a price drop (temporary or not) this holiday I can see it really starting to do gangbusters.

Speely

Banned
They made such an attractive product here, purely from a hardware point of view. After it builds a nice library and if it gets a price drop (temporary or not) this holiday I can see it really starting to do gangbusters.

They really did. Watching people play it in handheld mode is actually visually engaging just because of the form factor and screen quality.

And I don't just say that in a general sense. The very vibrant screen with seemingly good viewing angles and sleek form factor make this the perfect kind of passively-viral marketing machine it wants to be. Mark my words: this platform will sell itself when seen and even more when played.

Calling it right now: Nintendo kinda nailed it.

DirtyLarry

I have to say, this video was informative to me as I feel like the first Switch marketing did not do a very good job of conveying just how big it was IRL and also how it would look. Or maybe I was just swept up in the hype of it all and it really did not click. Or maybe I just knew it was all pre rendered. Whatever the case, I actually love the size of it now that I see it and especially seeing how good the screen looks from a visual standpoint, I am feeling like my lucky timing pre-order was no doubt a good thing. Bring on Zelda!!

This Switch-as-tablet talk has got me wondering how comfortable/durable the screen edges will be with the Joycons unattached. Maybe the Joycon grip will also fit onto the side of the console?

No it would need the opposite type of connector, they could sell something else though, or someone else will.

Eiolon

Makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't design the Switch more like an iPad and Apple TV setup, where you can wirelessly mirror to the TV if you choose then still have access to the touch screen. The innards would still be kept in the tablet itself and not the receiver connected to the TV so it wouldn't be exactly like Wii U where they were not in the GamePad, limiting portability.

Cerium

Makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't design the Switch more like an iPad and Apple TV setup, where you can wirelessly mirror to the TV if you choose then still have access to the touch screen. The innards would still be kept in the tablet itself and not the receiver connected to the TV so it wouldn't be exactly like Wii U where they were not in the GamePad, limiting portability.
There would be no boost in performance for the big screen, and the wireless communication would be a drain on the battery.

Schnozberry

Clockspeeds are limited when portable. It wouldn't be the ideal experience for the television.

A likely part of the reason the Switch dock is so pricey is, if the patents are any indication, the Switch can stream video wirelessly to the dock (and therefore, the TV) much like a reversal of the Wii U GamePad.

watershed

Banned
I'm glad to see the touchscreen in action. For some reason the official press release made me think that touch control would be coming but wasn't actually active on the Switch yet even though that doesn't make sense.

NoKisum

Sweet, finally some footage at least. And come on Nintendo, bring back Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents now please!

I was under the impression that games have to be playable in both portable and docked mode. Wouldn't a docked Ouendan/EBA be unplayable?

Belker

Does the Switch itself have the technology/lightness to be slotted into an HMD so it becomes a simple 'VR' device? I was wondering that anyway, but the line about the screen manufacturer being familiar with the tech got me thinking.

Cerium

Does the Switch itself have the technology/lightness to be slotted into an HMD so it becomes a simple 'VR' device? I was wondering that anyway, but the line about the screen manufacturer being familiar with the tech got me thinking.

Nintendo has a patent for that iirc but as far as we know no plans to use it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It looks as responsive as an iPad. It's so weird they didn't have a part of their presentation dedicated to this feature.

Do they intend to have a second reveal by launch? This, the OS, Virtual console, online... aren't exactly small topics to discuss.

watershed

Banned
It looks as responsive as an iPad. It's so weird they didn't have a part of their presentation dedicated to this feature.

Do they intend to have a second reveal by launch? This, the OS, Virtual console, online... aren't exactly small topics to discuss.

Yeah they definitely will. The first event was all about selling the Switch as a home console. The next event, probably a Nintendo Direct followed by a press hands on event the following day, will explore the touch screen, more games, and system features. I think that's gonna happen for sure.

Dedicated to a touch screen? Everyone and their mom is familiar with touch screens. Unless you mean the haptic feedback

random25

Well if developers don't have to support handheld mode if they don't want to, then wouldn't it make sense to allow them to not support other modes as well? With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see games that don't support TV mode on the Switch at some point.

The thing is the tabletop mode serves as the portable aspect of being a hybrid console in the scenario of motion controls games like Just Dance and 1 2 Switch. So you can still play on the TV and on the go, which is the selling point of the system.

If there is a possibility of a game that fully utilize the touch screen, then there should be a way to replicate it on the TV mode, either by traditional control methods or by other means.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, I agree. Get the price lower and this thing could easily rival the 3DS in terms of lifetime sales, if not surpass it.

It's really a missed opportunity to not have a TouchPad on the non-screened controller dock. Since there isn't one very few games will ever utilize the touch screen, which sucks because nintendo finally did it right.

Roo

A few days ago, I managed to stumble across this image pertaining to the Nintendo Switch

JibXWN8.png

This means that Switch games can exclude and support different modes depending on what the developers intend for the game. Which means, we might see "mode exclusive" games for the Switch, or at least, mode exclusive features for Switch games. This opens up more possibilities and control options for Switch games. This means we could see touch controlled games only playable in Handheld mode, or co-op games only playable in Tabletop mode. The possibilities are endless

So I assume we will see this graphic on the back of the game cases as well. Interesting

Cfer

Neo Member
I posted this new another topic but it is don't think it was addressed.

We know nothing about the UI still apart from a few guided images or clips - what if the software on the switch was based of Android?

Gives a bit of purpose to the tech behind the touch screen is all

random25

I posted this new another topic but it is don't think it was addressed.

We know nothing about the UI still apart from a few guided images or clips - what if the software on the switch was based of Android?

Gives a bit of purpose to the tech behind the touch screen is all

There's no remnants of Android on that UI as far as the ones shown are concerned.

And I doubt it was based on Android to begin with. Google would have said anything about it by now if so.

Surprised it's usable by games. I swore touch was relegated to UI only since you can't use it at all when docked, meaning games can't just "run", they have to have a docked version and an undocked version.

I think its one thing to not market the touch screen like it actually matters (it doesnt since no game would be able to use it as a major feature due to docked mode), but I think it's very lame that Nintendo's games don't even allow for the option to use it to go through the menu in certain games when undocked. Most of Nintendo's games have large icons and simple lists/screens to go through that look almost made for a touch screen (like Smash 4 which weirdly didn't support it on Wii U).

Cerium

I think its one thing to not market the touch screen like it actually matters (it doesnt since no game would be able to use it as a major feature due to docked mode), but I think it's very lame that Nintendo's games don't even allow for the option to use it to go through the menu in certain games when undocked. Most of Nintendo's games have large icons and simple lists/screens to go through that look almost made for a touch screen (like Smash 4 which weirdly didn't support it on Wii U).

We don't know if that will be the case at retail.

acm2000

Didn't we already debunk the haptic screen since immersion themselves Don't mention it at all in their press release.

It's called touch sense because the vibration in the joycons emulates the feeling of touch (the silly ice cube thing)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Source is here
Really weird that there's only one game on the show floor that uses it. I'd imagine they'll add touch screen support to these games later, but it's weird that none of them showcased it.
Maybe to focus on the actual new tech like the Switch itself and the joy cons?

I think if they push touch screen, it really pushes the 'this is really our new handheld' angle, quite a lot.

herod

It seems pretty clear to me that they haven't talked about it yet because they're billing it as the Wii U successor and this is effectively a feature lost in the transition.

AgeEighty

Surprised it's usable by games. I swore touch was relegated to UI only since you can't use it at all when docked, meaning games can't just "run", they have to have a docked version and an undocked version.

A simple horizontal menu like that is easy enough to make navigable with your finger when undocked or a highlight cursor when docked. If a touch implementation went beyond that, they could even set it up so that the Joy-con motion control mimicked your fingertip, though that could get a little wonky.

Cerium

I don't understand Nintendo's logic here. Why not make Spatoon 2 spawning points mechanic use it?

We don't know yet if it will or won't.

I heard somewhere (I forgot where now because it all bleeds together) that the first party demos might have had touch turned off on the system altogether.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I don't understand Nintendo's logic here. Why not make Spatoon 2 spawning points mechanic use it?

I guess since you can't use it in console mode they dropped the feature. Touchscreen has to be handheld only mode .

Can't wait for HD rumble petting in Nintendogs Switch.

This will print money. Just imagine what they can render with all that power, Not to mention AR fetch with the IR pointer. This will PRINT money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess since you can't use it in console mode they dropped the feature. Touchscreen has to be handheld only mode

It's fine to keep the d-pad shortcuts, but they could add the ability to also use the touchscreen if you're playing in tabletop or handheld modes.

RiggyRob

Source is here
Really weird that there's only one game on the show floor that uses it. I'd imagine they'll add touch screen support to these games later, but it's weird that none of them showcased it.
Maybe to focus on the actual new tech like the Switch itself and the joy cons?

The reason why is because you can't use the screen when it's docked.

I mean, even Splatoon 2 doesn't use the touchscreen for Super Jumps now, so I don't see why Nintendo would expect other developers to spend extra time working on a touchscreen feature that could end up not being used.

Lucifon

Screen looks surprisingly good, and responsive. Looking forward to playing portable Imaginators too. Traded in my Xb1 copy for £31 at the weekend as I managed to snag a preorder for the Switch for £36.85. Although it'll look worse the portability factor is really cool, and the game is genuinely fun.

Top Bottom