• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of the Nintendo Switch touchscreen in action

nynt9

I'm still kinda iffy on the touch screen on the basis that it creates feature disparity between docked and handheld modes.

LordRaptor

I'm still kinda iffy on the touch screen on the basis that it creates feature disparity between docked and handheld modes.

Very little of the handheld aspect of the Switch seems to have been shown - its entirely possible that the joycon functions like an airmouse (which is the solution most Smart TVs use in absence of a touchscreen)

NSESN

Handheld play should not be held back by docked mode, Nintendo would be stupid if they had chosen to not have touch on the switch.

Guess Who

Banned
I'd be very surprised if they don't allow smartphone-style games on this thing that can be played totally on the screen, no Joycons or controller required. Sans the controllers it's basically a 6" tablet. They'd be stupid to miss out on all that mobile microtransaction money.

I guess we'll have to see. It's pretty silly how Nintendo doesn't come out and clear this shit up instantly. I mean, it's launching in a little over a month, if it has cool new features people don't know about completely, it's time to talk about it... right? Lol.

Maybe they figured something called TouchSense would make it clear what it was for

I guess we'll have to see. It's pretty silly how Nintendo doesn't come out and clear this shit up instantly. I mean, it's launching in a little over a month, if it has cool new features people don't know about completely, it's time to talk about it... right? Lol.

Nintendo does make a lot of dumb decisions.

duckroll

Maybe they figured something called TouchSense would make it clear what it was for

Who is they? This is Immersion talking about how they licensed their tech to Nintendo. Nintendo themselves have never mentioned this anywhere or talked about haptic feedback on the touchscreen. In fact, they haven't talked about the touchscreen much at all.

Malus

I'm still gonna assume this haptic stuff is hullabaloo until Nintendo says something about it. Seems odd that they'd spend the money and effort on that when you can't use it in docked mode.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It makes sense that they're not really showing off the touchscreen because you can't use it in one of its two modes. It also makes sense that games wouldn't be doing a ton with touchscreen stuff for the same reason

I think they are downplaying it because you don't have access to it in docked mode.

If you're going to include a technology that you feel the need to downplay, how close is the tech to being a waste of money?

If you're going to include a technology that you feel the need to downplay, how close is the tech to being a waste of money?
Nintendo likes to use software to showcase their innovations. I'm sure we'll see something. Or maybe it'll be a low key feature like the touch pad on dual shock 4s.

ggx2ac

Nintendo likes to use software to showcase their innovations. I'm sure we'll see something. Or maybe it'll be a low key feature like the touch pad on dual shock 4s.

If Nintendo are planning to not have DS VC or 3DS VC in the future then yes, the touchscreen can become a useless feature for games if there are no touchscreen controlled games.

We are seeing this footage from Skylanders but it was just a menu selection so it doesn't really confirm say controlling characters with the touch screen.

Cuburt

Nintendo clearly doesn't want to muddle their message. That was the lesson they learned from the Wii U is that presenting all the potential control options don't make people feel better about the hardware, it just makes them more confused. You can even say their assumption was right in that their original reveal was met with universal praise when all it focused on what the main hook, then as soon as they let people know about motion controls and HD Rumble, suddenly the cynics want to act like that whole console that they were just praising is trash or too confusing when they already presented what the actual hook is, not input like the Wii or Wii U but form factor configurations. Evidently, this marketing message is something that is completely lost on GAF.

They mentioned Touch in the actual presentation. It's not the focus.

Looks nice and responsive in the video in the OP though.

random25

The simple theory I have as to why Nintendo didn't advertise the touchscreen stuff is because there's no first party stuff that utilizes it yet. NFC was on Wii U but was never advertised until Amiibo happened.

Lorcain

That looks good. It's a tablet for sure, with the ability to display HD out to TVs and use controllers right out of the box. There's some great potential there.

Super Mario Maker lives on.

Exactly my thought, when I heard nothing about touchscreen before I was initially worried that game would be left behind or have some very non-intuitive way of level creation, hopefully this leads to a Super Mario Maker Switch announcement in the near future.

I just... don't see it?

When he taps the icons they move slowly but that's definitely the animation, not screen responsiveness. When he is scrolling left and right the screen reacts very quickly - perhaps even too sensitively as at one point he accidentally knocks it in the other direction then puts it back on track.

Wdit: I might be wrong I guess. Rewatching it does seem to hitch a little bit. Hmm.

Yeah it's totally possible it's just an issue with the Skylanders game itself and not some larger issue with the hardware (I think this is probably what is happening).

It's hard to explain but it reminds me of my LG Pad X 8.0 and not like my iPad Mini 4 when it comes to responsiveness. Just has this lack of smoothness.

Source is here
Really weird that there's only one game on the show floor that uses it. I'd imagine they'll add touch screen support to these games later, but it's weird that none of them showcased it.
Maybe to focus on the actual new tech like the Switch itself and the joy cons?

I'm curious if that's simply because games can't support touch in TV mode (or can it)?

There's nothing to indicate it does, they can't spend all their time chasing after badly researched conclusion jumping articles/threads/articles rewritten from threads written from articles.

OryoN

This is the kind of stuff that annoys me about nintendo. They're so allergic to showing off what they don't think is the most important thing, leaving everyone to speculate and create their own narrative.

It does actually look great.

I think it's about them trying to keep their message simple for now, and sticking to the core element of the system. The last thing they want is people thinking this thing is just another - of several dozens - tablet out there. They will either release more of these tidbits closer to launch or leave people to discover them for themselves and be pleasantly surprised. Either way, by that time, Nintendo's main message would've had enough time to do its thing without the risk of too much focus being spent on features - cool as they may be - that doesn't sell how unique the system truly is.

I agree, it's a bit weird that a company would be this reluctant to immediately mention all the awesome things their product can do, but when you have this many features in one product, there's a real risk in clouding your main message. Nintendo's timing with their messages could he a bit better, but overall, I think they are handling this process the right way.

Jubenhimer

A few days ago, I managed to stumble across this image pertaining to the Nintendo Switch

JibXWN8.png

This means that Switch games can exclude and support different modes depending on what the developers intend for the game. Which means, we might see "mode exclusive" games for the Switch, or at least, mode exclusive features for Switch games. This opens up more possibilities and control options for Switch games. This means we could see touch controlled games only playable in Handheld mode, or co-op games only playable in Tabletop mode. The possibilities are endless

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Looks nice. Real nice. Good job Nintendo.

I think they are downplaying it because you don't have access to it in docked mode.

I can believe it.

If Nintendo plans to cash in on mobile gaming it needs a touch screen.

For it to function as a modern day handheld it needs a touch screen. Like their last 2 were.

A few days ago, I managed to stumble across this image pertaining to the Nintendo Switch

JibXWN8.png

This means that Switch games can exclude and support different modes depending on what the developers intend for the game. Which means, we might see "mode exclusive" games for the Switch, or at least, mode exclusive features for Switch games. This opens up more possibilities and control options for Switch games. This means we could see touch controlled games only playable in Handheld mode, or co-op games only playable in Tabletop mode. The possibilities are endless

This is interesting but that's a confusing picture, is it for 12Switch and saying it's for 2 players with exceptions in certain minigames? Otherwise I have no idea what it all means!

ggx2ac

JibXWN8.png

We'll just have to see what restrictions there are if any for the TV mode/Tabletop mode/Handheld mode.

Assuming the image is real, that most likely relates to 1,2 Switch since it's the only game where it asks you not to look at the screen.

So yes, maybe touchscreen only games are possible. Makes me wonder if there would be any docked mode only games because of a AAA publisher. (Although the latter sounds very unlikely)

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
And yet Splatoon 2 apparently doesn't support the touchscreen for super jumping, how dumb is that?

Cerium

And yet Splatoon 2 apparently doesn't support the touchscreen for super jumping, how dumb is that?

Splatoon 2 is clearly a work in progress, as evidenced by how it runs identically and in the same 720p resolution in both portable and docked mode.

HeySeuss

Nintendo clearly doesn't want to muddle their message. That was the lesson they learned from the Wii U is that presenting all the potential control options don't make people feel better about the hardware, it just makes them more confused. You can even say their assumption was right in that their original reveal was met with universal praise when all it focused on what the main hook, then as soon as they let people know about motion controls and HD Rumble, suddenly the cynics want to act like that whole console that they were just praising is trash or too confusing when they already presented what the actual hook is, not input like the Wii or Wii U but form factor configurations. Evidently, this marketing message is something that is completely lost on GAF.

They mentioned Touch in the actual presentation. It's not the focus.

Looks nice and responsive in the video in the OP though.

Stole my post. It's pretty obvious they are going with a singular, clear message. Talking about secondary control methods would only confuse things and distract from the overall focus.

I think it's a relatively good idea. I'm sure we will be pleasantly surprised to learn about the touchscreen controls as time goes on.

Anteo

This is interesting but that's a confusing picture, is it for 12Switch and saying it's for 2 players with exceptions in certain minigames? Otherwise I have no idea what it all means!

It means it doenst support handheld mode. You can play with the pad on the table and each player with 1 joycon, but you cant play if you put both joycons on the switch and try to use it as a handheld.

random25

JibXWN8.png

This mode only applies to games that require full motion controls. For example, Just Dance 2017 will be unplayable in handheld mode as you need to release the Joycons from the system to play it.

Other than that, I can't see games being made that are mode exclusive, like handheld-only or TV-only.

Jubenhimer

This mode only applies to games that require full motion controls. For example, Just Dance 2017 will be unplayable in handheld mode as you need to release the Joycons from the system to play it.

Other than that, I can't see games being made that are mode exclusive, like handheld-only or TV-only.

Well if developers don't have to support handheld mode if they don't want to, then wouldn't it make sense to allow them to not support other modes as well? With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see games that don't support TV mode on the Switch at some point.

Let us hope the touch latency is low.

We'll just have to see what restrictions there are if any for the TV mode/Tabletop mode/Handheld mode.

Assuming the image is real, that most likely relates to 1,2 Switch since it's the only game where it asks you not to look at the screen.

So yes, maybe touchscreen only games are possible. Makes me wonder if there would be any docked mode only games because of a AAA publisher. (Although the latter sounds very unlikely)

It's real and it's indeed for the 1-2 Switch. You can see that on the Japanese site of the game (scroll all the way down).

MeyXPEa.png

Noticed that was well. Didn't look very good overall. I'm used to Apple devices. Everything else feels off in comparison.

Going in with low-ish expectations and hoping for a surprise and delight.

Exactly. Almost everything else by comparison feels awkward. Here you can visually see he drags half the width of a circle before it responds. It doesn't provide the feeling that your finger is connected to the content, but rather you're controlling an interface. That'll sound odd to people who don't notice it but it's a small but key difference between iOS and Android in how they feel to use.

ggx2ac

Well if developers don't have to support handheld mode if they don't want to, then wouldn't it make sense to allow them to not support other modes as well? With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see games that don't support TV mode on the Switch at some point.

That's what I'm wondering with touchscreen only games like the DS Virtual Console and there'd have to be games from mobile developers like Puzzle & Dragons.

I'm sure I remember seeing Gung Ho on the list of third parties.

Top Bottom