• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First FPS console game to use twin-stick layout for moving and aiming?

Along the same lines, gun busters is undoubtedly the first fps with "wasd" control and independently mouse aim (although wasd was a joystick, and the mouse was a trackball).

Was referring specifically to PC :p

For whatever it's worth, iirc Catacombs 3D had mouse controls independent of arrow key controls in 1991, albeit only on the X axis. Wolf3D certainly did, and I think that came out a bit before GunBusters.

Krejlooc

Banned
Was referring specifically to PC :p

For whatever it's worth, iirc Catacombs 3D had mouse controls independent of arrow key controls in 1991, albeit only on the X axis. Wolf3D certainly did, and I think that came out a bit before GunBusters.

But only in one axis, gun busters works in two independent axises.

Gun busters is funny, it is technically revolutionary, but nobody copied it. Its one of those weird instances of independent yet concurrent invention.

But only in one axis, gun busters works in two independent axises.

Gun busters is funny, it is technically revolutionary, but nobody copied it. Its one of those weird instances of independent yet concurrent invention.

Huh. Never knew that.

Incidentally, during this discussion I went back and checked that old Absolute firsts in video games thread, and it lists Ultima Underworld as the first game with "vertical free-look." I wonder what criteria they used if it was preceded.

EDIT: Derp, UU came out first and didn't have mouselook.

Pretty sure that pressing 'E' in System Shock makes you lean. You're thinking of the mouselook mods, which give it a SS2-style "inventory mode" which is toggled with 'E'.

I read the question as "What was the first PC FPS that had Y-axis control using the mouse," which would, to my knowledge, be System Shock. And it is required to complete the game, since there are, amongst other things, security cameras on the ceilings that must be shot out to progress at some points. But if the question is "What was the first game with mouselook," it's probably Marathon.

Right, I dunno why I was thinking y-axis = mouse free look. That was a mistake on my part.

Top Bottom