• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First FPS console game to use twin-stick layout for moving and aiming?

jdstorm

Banned
Donkey Kong 64 had an arena shooter local multiplayer mode, and a lot of aim down the sights gameplay. Although I don't think you could move while you fired in that mode

Every time this subject comes up, everyone ignores Descent which was released in January 1996. That had traditional dual analog controls.

By comparison, GoldenEye didn't come out until 18 months later. Turok was 14 months later.
Yes, Descent of course. It seems to be a fine choice. Bradley. Early 96 no less.

However, you will be opening a Pandora Box in here. Just see the kind of reactions my posts are getting. But since you are not me...

XD

Edit: So Descent supported the PSX anlaog stick before it was released?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you are not ignoring them at all, why have you failed to adress them? Why wave the contradictions aside instead of properly refer to them and delcare why they don't hold any ground?

I've explained why they're not contradictions. I'm not going to do so again because you refuse to acknowledge that.

Is not wrong that you disagree with me JaseC. However, is unjust to pass judgement to some statements that you deem questionable yet pass a blind eye to other ones that are guilty as much just because they are coming from other person.

I've explained why they're not contradictions. I'm not going to do so again because you refuse to acknowledge that.

In that sense you are not been better than the OP or me here JaseC, certainly not once you fall into the necessity to insult the other side. Don't know why you are taking this so personally really.

Stating that you're making yourself look foolish by clearly and continually remodelling by way of omission the OP's topic for your own personal satisfaction is not an insult, actually. I'm not saying you are a fool.

For example JaseC, let's say that one poster comes up with some very irreverent topic with the intention to troll. i wouldn't think that siding with the topic creator because: " Hey! His Topic His Rules Man!" is a fair stance to take.

I'm not asking for you to agree with the OP. I'm saying you're not honouring the desired topic, and you admit as much with this very hypothetical that compares an apple (a troll thread) to an orange (a genuine call for submissions that address the topic).

Glowsquid

Edit: So Descent supported the PSX anlaog stick before it was released?

It supported this

PlayStation-Analog-Joystick.jpg

Stating that you're making yourself look foolish by clearly and continually remodelling by way of omission the OP's topic for your own personal satisfaction is not an insult, actually. I'm not saying you are a fool.

I'm not asking for you to agree with the OP. I'm saying you're not honouring the desired topic, and you admit as much with this very hypothetical that compares an apple (a troll thread) to an orange (a genuine call for submissions that address the topic).
Understood JaseC.

So in regards to the topic at hand, you are in agreement with the OP that Alien Resurrection (2000) and Uprising X (1998) where the 2 games that set the standard and popularized Dual Stick control schemes for console shooters.

It supported this
Can you please post the product's name. Can't see the picture here.

JaseC

Understood JaseC.

So in regards to the topic at hand, you are in agreement with the OP that Alien Resurrection (2000) and Uprising X (1998) where the 2 games that set the standard and popularized Dual Stick control schemes for console shooters.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm inclined to agree with this post:

GoldenEye had it (2 controllers), Alien Resurrection defaulted to it, Halo standardized it.

Glowsquid

There's a small confusion here GLow.

i was indeed talking about the PSX Twin Stick when i made the question about the release date. Descent came some months earlier than the Twin Stick. Yet, it support it.

ah. In my defense, the modern internet has totally ruined the word "joystick" :V

petran79

Banned
I know the thread is talking about console games, but The Terminator: Future Shock is the first FPS game on the PC that I have ever played that fully required the use of mouse aiming:

This game was released in 1995. Sure there were FPS games before this one that had freelook like Doom, Marathon and even Lucas Arts Dark Forces, but none of those titles required the player to aim vertically. Future Shock has aerial enemies like the flying HK's and you did have to aim up to shoot at them. Or in some cases aim down to shoot enemies below you. I owned the game back then, but even at the time I didn't quite understand the concept of keyboard and mouse controls. It really was a new thing for me. Video here: https://youtu.be/pBNSThWSZu4?t=133

But then again, there is also Decent that pre-dates this game by a year that used full keyboard and mouse controls as well. But that game was much less of a traditional FPS and borderline ship simulator.

Regarding consoles, Japanese 3D platform FPS games like Geograph Seal (Sharp X68000) and Jumping Flash (PS1) and their influence are also ignored. Jumping Flash was the first console 3D platformer

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm inclined to agree with this post:

GoldenEye had it (2 controllers), Alien Resurrection defaulted to it, Halo standardized it.

Why didn't you adress him about that claim (Alien Resurrection/Uprising X) then? That's what i' ve been saying in my previous posts, several times. XD

The funny thing is that you agree with things that i' ve said, yet in not a single one of your replies you reckoned that. The game that would fit the OP arbitrary criteria better is Halo. And it is far from the first. Here's the exact post to show you im not making any false claims:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=200609424

Refreshment.01 said:
Is just too an arbitrary conditioning for no actual gain in terms of finding the truth. Basically the answer that would fit his criteria best would be Halo: CE but that one is far from the first twin thumbstick shooter on consoles. But Halo was so influential that it standarized a lot of stuff.

Haha, funny how things turned out. Isn't it? XD

ah. In my defense, the modern internet has totally ruined the word "joystick" :V
i avoid the problem by calling the pad ones Thumbsticks.

JaseC

Why didn't you adress him about that claim (Alien Resurrection/Uprising X) then? That's what i' ve been saying in my previous posts, several times. XD

The funny thing is that you agree with things that i' ve said, yet in not a single one of your replies you reckoned that. The game that would fit the OP arbitrary criteria better is Halo. And it is far from the first. Here's the exact post to show you im not making any false claims:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=200609424

I admire the attempt to hoist me by my own petard, but once again you're exhibiting the behaviour I described earlier -- you're zeroing in on the OP's secondary reasons for why GoldenEye doesn't count as a valid answer but knowingly ignoring the fact that the primary and absolute reason it's invalid is that the dual analogue configuration isn't the default.

i would say yes but...

Have you seen the line of discussion? Just check out my posts XD

Because of a technicality we are not allowed to say Descent.

Does Decent support dual analogue as the default control scheme? If so, then it's absolutely a valid answer. I'm not being unreasonable to you by taking you to task on your refusal to address the actual topic, so playing the victim is not going to engender any sympathy. In fact, you're victimising yourself by insisting that ignoring the OP's desired subject because the matter of whether or not a game supports dual analogue by default is "nonsensical" and "unimportant" is perfectly acceptable.

nkarafo

I don't think Descent is the right answer if we count OP's rules. The twin joystick that it supports looks nothing like a dual analog controller. You don't hold it the same way for starters. So even if that scheme is the default, how can it be credited for this when it feels nothing like a FPS as we play them now?

Does it even support that control scheme with a dual shock controller?

I admire the attempt to hoist me by my own petard, but once again you're exhibiting the behaviour I described earlier -- you're zeroing in on the OP's secondary reasons for why GoldenEye doesn't count as a valid answer but knowingly ignoring the fact that the primary and absolute reason it's invalid is because the dual analogue configuration isn't the default.

You see JaseC, if you are trying to be fair, you could have easily pointed out the things you disagree with as well as the ones you agree with. But no, it didn't happen, not once. We couldn't risk giving the impression that the other side might have some merit by agreeing with anything of what he is saying.

But on topic. Even JaseC thinks that Halo was the one that standirezed the control scheme. So ask yourself, what did the OP conditioning achieved? Is not helping him to find the truth in the end.

And im just questioning that, i think there's some value in doing that. And if you don't see that way then is ok to disagree, by no means i think you are a fool for doing so. On the contrary. XD

nkarafo

The leading console for FPS in the 5th generation was the N64. i think is a pretty safe asumption to make. Ok, which was the main control method for the mayority of shooters in the console?

It was the Turok style.

Was that enough people to fill your criteria of a "Revolution" or it's just a tiny mob?
I'm inclined to agree with this. Sure there wasn't a second analog stick but the control scheme was the exact same. You could even use the D-Pad instead of the c-buttons so that there isn't any difference at all. (left thumb - movement, right thumb - aiming, right index - shoot). Just like it is now.

Saying that Halo standardized the control scheme is like ignoring the whole N64 player base who had many FPS games that played like this. Almost all N64 FPS games had this scheme after Turok.

Was the N64 player base so small that we needed Halo for the world to notice the control scheme?

JaseC

You see JaseC, if you are trying to be fair, you could have easily pointed out the things you disagree with as well as the ones you agree with. But no, it didn't happen, not once. We couldn't risk giving the impression that the other side might have some merit by agreeing with anything of what he is saying.

At no point have I said you're absolutely wrong about all things, and me not peppering my posts with random expressions of agreement doesn't insinuate that, either. I apologise if you feel as though I'm going out of my way to discredit you entirely, but I assure you that is not the case.

But on topic. Even JaseC thinks that Halo was the one that standirezed the control scheme. So ask yourself, what did the OP conditioning achieved? Is not helping him to find the truth in the end.

And im just questioning that, i think there's some value in doing that. And if you don't see that way then is ok to disagree, by no means i think you are a fool for doing so. On the contrary. XD

The OP wanted to know which game was the first to support dual analogue control as the default scheme. That's the "truth" he was seeking. While it's true that the answer may be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that is itself the very definition of tangential.

And again, I categorically stated that I wasn't labelling you a fool. Describing an instance of behaviour is not the same thing as condemning a person's character.

Ramirez

Blows my mind that I used to play fast paced games like Q3A and UT on the Dreamcast with movement on face buttons and aiming with the left stick, lol.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The first one I remember was Timesplitters. Took some serious getting used to. I don't remember it in Goldeneye but I recall it being pretty similar but wasn't it the yellow buttons to look around? Been a while.

n0razi

I want to say Ape Escape PS1

psx_ape_escape17.jpg

had to go out and buy a DS1 to play but in return Gran Turismo was much better with it

At no point have I said you're absolutely wrong about all things, and me not peppering my posts with random expressions of agreement doesn't insinuate that, either. I apologise if you feel as though I'm going out of my way to discredit you entirely, but I assure you that is not the case.
Well you have to forgive me JaseC, since that's the impression one could easily get. Since your replies are refusals to my posts and you haven't adressed the topic or the OP at any given time.

The OP wanted to know which game was the first to support dual analogue control as the default scheme. That's the "truth" he was seeking. While it's true that the answer may be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that is itself the very definition of tangential.
Let's see... maybe you are confused and think im ignoring the "default" part. He's criteria is wider actually. Apart from been by default, It also involves that "game revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day..." and "Standardizing dual analog controls on consoles...

Then he pointed out that Alien Resurrection might be that game. Which is a somewhat misguided conclusion, the game lacked any major influence in the industry and gaming community as far as i know. For example, one of he's refusals to GE was that the dual thumbstick feature was kind of obscure, well i guess the same can be said about Alien as a game.

Again, don't fault me for what the OP is saying himslef. MAybe you are also giving him to much credit about what he exactly wants?

Maybe, a nice thing to do is for him to be more flexible with the criteria or repurpose the original post a bit. However, we haven't exactly heard a single word from him in a while. Hopefully, he returns soon to formulate some type of conclusion as all of this type of threads should have. After all if we are in agreement or not, we are using our time to try to inform him about things.

nkarafo

Indeed, OP makes 2 different questions.

-Which game was the first that had the dual analog sticks control scheme as a default

and

-Which game revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day...

The "first game that had dual analog as default" isn't necessarily the "game that revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day".

JaseC

Let's see... maybe you are confused and think im ignoring the "default" part. He's criteria is wider actually. Apart from been by default, It also involves that "game revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day..." and "Standardizing dual analog controls on consoles...

Oh, my mind is very much in the right place. Remember, what truly kicked off our ever-growing back-and-forth is you saying that you didn't take into account the opening line of the OP because he hadn't substantiated why it's important that the game in question support the dual analogue configuration as the default control scheme and specifically the default control scheme, and that's been the point of contention since.

Then he pointed out that Alien Resurrection might be that game. Which is a somewhat misguided conclusion, the game lacked any major influence. One of he's refusals to GE was that the dual thumbstick feature was kind of obscure, the same can be said about Alien as a game.

Again, don't fall me for what the OP is saying himslef.

Maybe, a nice thing to do is for him to be more flexible with the criteria or repurpose the original post a bit. However, we haven't exactly heard a single word from him in a while. Hopefully, he returns soon to formulate some type of conclusion as all of this type of threads should have.

I actually agree that the OP has muddied the waters since his first post. But that's immaterial to our particular dialogue. To reiterate, I took issue with your response to my reply not due to the implicit doubt vis-a-vis the overall relevancy of the OP's question but rather because you were claiming black and blue that the OP didn't actually ask what he thought he'd asked. If you'd instead responded with something along the lines of, say, "I realise GoldenEye doesn't technically fit the criteria, but I feel as though the game that first supported the dual analogue control method as the default isn't important in the grand scheme of things as it's unlikely to have been a factor in the development of later such games", our discussion would have ended then and there (well, I would have replied so as to not give the impression that I ignored your post).

Unai

-Which game was the first which having the dual analog sticks control scheme as a default

and

-Which game revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day...

The "first game that had dual analog as default" isn't necessarily the "game that revolutionized gaming by adopting the control scheme that largely has remained the default one to this day".

Hence:

Iorv3th

This depends on what type you are reffering too. Many of the earlier FPS that used 2 sticks had both movement and aim on each stick. Say left stick moved the player forward backward and the aim side to side. The right stick was used to strafe or move the aim up and down. That was very common on the early PS2 I think Timesplitters used it and I know Socom 1 used it. I think red faction may have been one stick for movement one stick for aim.

Yes, and that is my stance still. The conditioning doesn't make sense to me hence the "non sensical" qualifier, it seems at odds when you try to find a definitive answer as the OP wants.

Maybe nkarafo did a better job than me explaining it?

-Which game was the first which having the dual analog sticks control scheme as a default

and

nkarafo

Although i agreed to this previously, i'm now skeptical about Halo standardizing it. The scheme was already a standard on the N64 for the duration of it's lifespan. Halo took the same exact scheme but instead of a d-pad/c-buttons the pad had an extra analog.

So what's more important? The actual control scheme or the hardware?

Donkey Kong 64 had an arena shooter local multiplayer mode, and a lot of aim down the sights gameplay. Although I don't think you could move while you fired in that mode
I would really wish for people to stop quoting N64 games as examples of standardizing TWIN STICK FPS CONTROL SCHEMES!

The N64 lacked twin sticks and no amount of mental gymnastics, weird dual wilding controllers that no one used (and weren't even usable in multiplayer... you know, the reason everyone played Goldenye in the first place!), Turok and DK64 examples matter here.

You need a console with twin sticks to argue a game was the first with the modern FPS controls we use today so that rules everything before the PS2/GC/XB with the exception of Dualshock supported PS1 games. I can't believe this is even a point of discussion. Forget the N64

Orayn

Descent could use a twin-stick control scheme on the original 1994 PC release, if you had two joysticks available. I think it's a worthy footnote along the way from legacy control schemes to modern dual analog.

People are getting way too hung up on the idea that there has to be a single origin point that everyone else copied from when that's clearly not the case.

I would really wish for people to stop quoting N64 games as examples of standardizing TWIN STICK FPS CONTROL SCHEMES!

The N64 lacked twin sticks and no amount of mental gymnastics, weird dual wilding controllers that no one used (and weren't even usable in multiplayer... you know, the reason everyone played Goldenye in the first place!), Turok and DK64 examples matter here.

You need a console with twin sticks to argue a game was the first with the modern FPS controls we use today so that rules everything before the PS2/GC/XB with the exception of Dualshock supported PS1 games. I can't believe this is even a point of discussion. Forget the N64

Turok's "left pad or c-buttons to move, stick to aim" could be considered a pretty clear precursor to the way dual analog control schemes work.

It's like you're asking "WHAT WAS THE FIRST DOG," people are replying with stuff about wolves, the evolution of domesticated dogs, etc. and you're yelling at them saying "NO I WANT THE DOG, SHOW ME THE DOG."

Every time this subject comes up, everyone ignores Descent which was released in January 1996. That had traditional dual analog controls.

By comparison, GoldenEye didn't come out until 18 months later. Turok was 14 months later.
I'm not familiar with that game but how could it feature twin stick FPS modern controls by default years before Sony released the Dualshock on PS1?

nkarafo

Sure, your first question rules out the N64.

Your second question doesn't though.

Orayn

I'm not familiar with that game but how could it feature twin stick FPS modern controls by default years before Sony released the Dualshock on PS1?

Descent, on PC, supported multiple input devices. You could use whatever combination of keyboard, mouse, and joystick you wanted to control your ship's movement and rotation in all three axes. One of the recommended setups was to use two full-sized joysticks in a way that's similar to the way dual analogs work on a modern controller.

Turok's "left pad or c-buttons to move, stick to aim" could be considered a pretty clear precursor to the way dual analog control schemes work. It's functionally very similar, just digital on the movement axis.

It's like you're asking "WHAT WAS THE FIRST DOG," people are replying with stuff about wolves, the evolution of domesticated dogs, etc. and you're yelling at them saying "NO I WANT THE DOG, SHOW ME THE VERY FIRST DOG."

Descent could use a twin-stick control scheme on the original 1994 PC release, if you had two joysticks available. I think it's a worthy footnote along the way from legacy control schemes to modern dual analog.

People are getting way too hung up on the idea that there has to be a single origin point that everyone else copied from when that's clearly not the case.

Turok's "left pad or c-buttons to move, stick to aim" could be considered a pretty clear precursor to the way dual analog control schemes work.

It's like you're asking "WHAT WAS THE FIRST DOG," people are replying with stuff about wolves, the evolution of domesticated dogs, etc. and you're yelling at them saying "NO I WANT THE DOG, SHOW ME THE DOG."
A pleasure to read as must of your posts and i don't say this because i agree in this occasion.

Specially about our obsseisson to always look for the "first" when not always is the most important thing to look for.

Cos I'm being a dumbass and confusing it with Descent 2 which came out in April 97 and used the Dual Analog controller.

Oops, my bad.

That being said, Descent 1 did support the Analog Joystick and I would argue that's as valid a configuration as using twin N64 pads.

Krejlooc

Banned
The N64 lacked twin sticks and no amount of mental gymnastics, weird dual wilding controllers that no one used (and weren't even usable in multiplayer... you know, the reason everyone played Goldenye in the first place!)

You could use dual analog controls in goldeneye in multiplayer, either 1 v 1 with both players using dual analog, or 1 vs 2 players using normal controls.

JaseC

Yes, and that is my stance still. The conditioning doesn't make sense to me hence the "non sensical" qualifier, it seems at odds when you try to find a definitive answer as the OP wants.
Maybe nkarafo did a better job than me explaining it?

You're all over the place. Despite denying in your previous post that you ignored the opening line of the OP, you admit in this post that you did just that, and in the space of two sentences you go from agreeing that you did so because the OP didn't explain why the detail is important to "clarifying" that you did so because it seemed at odds with the rest of the post. If you'd only sit still, we could finally put this discussion to bed.

dl77

Unless I'm misremembering, didn't Quake 2 on PS1 have dual sticks as default and that was out the year before Alien Resurrection (I think?).

Edit: regardless, I do remember it being a great port!

You're all over the place. Despite denying in your previous post that you ignored the opening line of the OP, you admit in this post that you did just that, and in the space of two sentences you go from agreeing that you did so because the OP didn't explain why the detail is important to "clarifying" that you did so because it seemed at odds with the rest of the post. If you'd only sit still, we could finally put this discussion to bed.
The discussion was put to bed long time ago JaseC. We fully agree about what is actually meaningful about the topic and don't agree about something rather tangential to it.

i sincerely thank you for dedicating me as much as time as you did and apologize to get so much on your nerves even if it wasn't my intention. XD

Now i would really like to hear the conclusion the OP reaches and if he has changed his mind about the games he considers to fullfil his criteria. Certainly we have seen very interesting information and contributions.

Unless I'm misremembering, didn't Quake 2 on PS1 have dual sticks as default and that was out the year before Alien Resurrection (I think?).

Edit: regardless, I do remember it being a great port!
Yes, i think it was a 99 game. At least the N64 game was. And yes, it's a safe bet it uses the Dual Shock thumbsticks.

JaseC

The discussion was put to bed long time ago JaseC. We fully agree about what is actually meaningful about the topic and don't agree about something rather tangential to it.

I'm all for agreeing to disagree. Better that than running around in circles.

i sincerely thank you for dedicating me as much as time as you did and apologize to get so much on your nerves even if it wasn't my intention. XD

Apology not accepted... because you didn't get on my nerves. ;)

Top Bottom