• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image from Martin Scorsese's 'Silence'

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know much about this historical event

is this a White Savior movie, similar to the likes of The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, Avatar etc.?

Addi

i dont know much about this historical event

is this a White Savior movie, similar to the likes of The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, Avatar etc.?

Not at all, it's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
It's complete hopelessness, doubt and suffering.
Deep psychological drama.

Akahige

Damn op atleast post the EW link

Garfield portrays Father Rodrigues, pictured in an exclusive image with Shinya Tsukamoto, who plays a villager named Mokichi.
The man who directed Tetsuo is in a Scorsese film, well damn I guess stranger things have happened.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so Garfield is bound to play people of Portuguese descent. he better change his name to Joao

Is that about the martyrs of Nagasaki? I've seen a number of references to these guys in Portugal and I had never heard about that episode before.

jett

D-Member
So this is a Shogun remake of sorts? :p

Seriously though, the subject matter is really interesting. I'm always up for some Scorsese.

edit: man this thread is old.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Would have been incredible

I think garfield is a good actor tho, gets a lot of shit for a pair of crap comic book movies (feels like every actor has to make one of these at this point) but he's talented

You can tell from ASM alone that dude is a Hell of an actor. I know why MCU didn't pick him up, but he could've handled himself with ease against RDJ.

C4Lukins

Scorsese is always great, but that is the least compelling plot line for a film that I could imagine.

It is still probably going to be excellent.

Toa TAK

Banned
Really looking forward to this film. Long cuts don't bug me as long as it can rock it all the way through. I remember people saying Wolf of Wall Street was too long but it flew for me.

Fat4all

Banned

dat-booty.gif

Window

This is an adaptation of a novel of the same name by Shusaku Endo. It is not a remake. The blurb in the link says as much as well (if anyone bothers to read it).

To answer the original question. Scorsese has made The Last Temptation of Christ and Kundun which deal with similar themes and are probably similar in tone to this film.

Window

Sounds like the same hooey they shoved out about the Infernal Affairs/The Departed relationship.

I didn't know Infernal Affairs was based on some other material. Well I guess we'll know if it's indeed a rip off by comparing shots from the two films when this releases. The script is available online so you can probably get some idea of this already if you've read the novel + seen the Shinoda film.

I will say though that considering the film by Shinoda is already considered to be a very good adaptation, I wonder what new dimension Scorsese can bring to the story.

Forkball

Seriously. This movie is going to be all up in the "white christian savior" myth. Worse than The Last of the Mohicans.

To be fair, the film is based on a book, written by a Japanese Catholic, about the the real, brutal persecution of Christians in Japan during the early 1600s. The novel is highly regarded in Japan and there was a film version in the 70s by Masahiro Shinoda (Double Suicide, Assassination, Samurai Spy, Gonza the Spearman etc.) The people who suffered under the systematic killings of Christians were by large Japanese. The conflict of the book is not merely about trying to save the Japanese Christians from being persecuted, but also the meaning of martyrdom and the silence of God during horrific events.

I don't know how this is going to be a three hour movie though. The book is 200 pages, if that.

Erevador

To be fair, the film is based on a book, written by a Japanese Catholic, about the the real, brutal persecution of Christians in Japan during the early 1600s. The novel is highly regarded in Japan and there was a film version in the 70s by Masahiro Shinoda (Double Suicide, Assassination, Samurai Spy, Gonza the Spearman etc.) The people who suffered under the systematic killings of Christians were by large Japanese. The conflict of the book is not merely about trying to save the Japanese Christians from being persecuted, but also the meaning of martyrdom and the silence of God during horrific events.

I don't know how this is going to be a three hour movie though. The book is 200 pages, if that.
Hey, don't go bringing all that factual insight into this conversation. Don't you know that film culture in 2016 requires knee-jerk outrage about films no one has seen yet?

Also, thanks for bring up Shinoda. Such a good filmmaker. Have you seen his film Pale Flower? Underrated crime masterpiece of the Japanese New Wave.

Terrorblot

You know, I have some hopes for this. I really like Scorsese, even some of the new stuff everyone seems to poke fun at like Shutter Island. Can't wait, will see in theaters.

Seriously. This movie is going to be all up in the "white christian savior" myth. Worse than The Last of the Mohicans.

It's really not though, if you read the book.

And a lot of the book is internal thought, if I recall correctly. It's been about 10 years since I read it.

Hey, don't go bringing all that factual insight into this conversation. Don't you know that film culture in 2016 requires knee-jerk outrage about films no one has seen yet?

Also, thanks for bring up Shinoda. Such a good filmmaker. Have you seen his film Pale Flower? Underrated crime masterpiece of the Japanese New Wave.
Nice snarky as hell response. Looks good on you.

Tugatrix

Hopefully they can pull it off, having them butcher the pronounciaton would probably take me out of the movie for a bit, but then again, the portuguese people are a small audience.

Not a small audience at all, is one of the most spoken languages in the world Brazil alone has 200 millions speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom