• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Watanabe drops out of Scorsese's Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Driver being in anything at all is astounding to me.

But at least for this casting change, they didn't go for new "go to" japanese guy Hiroyuki Sanada

Akahige

Asano Tadanobu joining the film is great to me, strong actor whose every western role has been shit, Vital and Last Life in the Unverse are top tier performances.

El Daniel

Asano is amazing. And he's not known for Mongol. He's Kakihara . It's a career defining role

tumblr_mpsg98QZBo1qdordeo1_500.gif

Looks like an interesting film.

That lead change is horrendous. What a downgrade imo. They may still give compelling performances of course but, man oh man.

hirokazu

Watanabe is doing The King and I on Broadway?

I do like the guy, but I've had serious trouble understanding his English dialogue in the last few films he's been in. I don't think I would enjoy watching The King and I with him in the role of king.

He's just become the go-to guy if they want to chuck in an Asian with an accent. :/

Helmholtz

I haven't seen Watanabe in many films, but I haven't cared for his english speaking ones. Dude is seriously hard to understand. I did enjoy his constant serious face in Godzilla though.
Losing DDL and Del Toro as leads is pretty rough though. What a downgrade there.
Is Del Toro seriously in a position to be turning down Scorsese films at this point in his career? Seems to me he could use a jumpstart.

Forkball

Asano is an incredible actor. He has a great range and is able to play outlandish "character actor" type roles while also showing reserve and nuance in others.

Must watch Asano films:

Maboroshi
Taboo
Last Life in the Universe
Mongol
The Taste of Tea
Zatoichi (2003)
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl
Ichi the Killer (not a good movie but uh... you will remember it)

faridmon

I never imagined myself for being way less excited for a Scorsese but this happened. The plot synopsis just screams boring.

i like andrew garfield but lol holy crap that's such a downgrade for the two leads.

i remember hyping this when i joined neogaf...lol. it's probably not even going to film. just move on to something else.

Rydeen

I never imagined myself for being way less excited for a Scorsese but this happened. The plot synopsis just screams boring.
It's interesting the plot is as boring as it is when the film could've been about the way more interesting story about a former black slave turned member of Oda Nobunaga's court. He was with similar Jesuit missionaries in Japan around the same time period.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

inm8num2

Funding is secured and the movie is definitely happening.

The main takeaway here is that Scorsese now has full backing for his follow-up to the Oscar-nominated hit The Wolf Of Wall Street, in his longest-gestating project since Gangs Of New York. Said Scorsese: “I’ve wanted to make Silence for almost two decades, and it is finally a reality. It is heartening to have adventurous partners like Fabrica and SharpSword to work with on this picture.” Paramount will release domestically in 2016 with foreign markets distribution spearheaded by AI Films/IM Global.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom