• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First list of Xbox One backward compatibility games revealed

Justinh

It was free with my Xbox 360 and you can purchase it for free as well.

I guess no Halo Reach remaster then.
Phil has said that including Reach in the back compat library does not prevent them from doing some remaster thingy for MCC.

Damn no Lost Odyessy, that was one of the few games I really wanted to play on X360...

He also said that the two games that are important to him to get working are Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

...I think it was the same interview. I'll have to dig it up.

But for now, Monkey Island 2: SE is actually in my 360 backlog, so I can play that on my One now. I didn't even consider that, but that sounds good to me!
Oh man, so good! You're in for a treat! I think it controls better than the Special Edition of the first game too (as weird as that may sound)...

Gears 2+3, that`s all I need. Halo Reach will arrive someday and hopefully Blops 1+2, COD MW 2+3. I think I`m going to buy a XO this year. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 5, the Elite Controller and those Gears games are worth it to me.

Zeta Oni

I love how everybody is hating on MS soooo hard....

They make possible something everybody was saying was impossible (emulation on xboxone) and the response from the gaming community is...." should have been included from the start"

They release a list of 104 titles with AAA games included plus mention how games like halo reach, skate 3 and black opps are next to be included, the response...." no halo reach... lists shit"

MS could legit send half you guys models payed to perform oral sex and the majority would be all ... "bitch used too much teeth" .... just no pleasing some people.

Salt will do that to people.

Lets face it, a lot of the people in this thread don't own an xbox one nor are planning on getting one. Just wanna take the opportunity to remind people that since they didn't get a game they wanted on this list, the whole list is terrible.

That's how lists work, don't they?

Edit: And yeah, im not saying there arent those who own an xbone and are legitimately disappointed with the offerings, but a lot of the reactions im seeing say otherwise.

Syriel

Halo Reach won't happen because 343 is working on a Remaster, iirc

9 pages in I'm not going to be the first to say this but I guess they didn't remember Reach.

I don't see Blops on the list.

No Skyrim or Halo Reach? Noooooôôoo

You guys/gals are blind. From the OP:

More titles are on the way, including fan favorites like Halo Reach, Halo Wars, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite and Skate 3.

Best part of BLOPS coming is that means Xbox One will have a Zork port running. :)

I wasn't being serious. :(

Who ever describes something as a trap, and is serious about it?

Republican Debate candidates. They're always serious.

Not 20 games per month.

What he actually says in the interview (bolded for emphasis):

It's hard for us to promise, I'll just make something up, 20 titles a month from now on, because it really depends on the publisher enabling us to release those titles. Certainly we want to release a set of titles on a regular basis that customers are asking for, that can provide value to them.

Erimriv

Beyond Good and Evil HD and Bioshock II, two games I purchased on X360 and didn't play them yet, that's great. Im waiting for the Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

Games I have and want to play:

Alien Hominid HD
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Borderlands
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Doom
Joy Ride Turbo
Just Cause 2
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight

Games I might now buy:

Doom II
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
Wolfenstein 3D
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Not bad but there is much more other stuff I want

EvB

Halo Reach won't happen because 343 is working on a Remaster, iirc

Why would they be doing a remaster?

Halo 1 had a remaster for it's 10 year anniversary in 2011
Halo 2 for it's 10 year anniversary in 2014
Surely 2016 is Halo Wars 2
2017 would be a Halo 3 Remaster on it's 10th anniversary
2018 would be Halo 6
2019 would be ODST for it's 10th year
2020 would be Reach's 10th year anniversary

Muffdraul

Sweet, definitely playing me some Mirror's Edge as soon as this goes live. I've had the 360 version for years but somehow never bothered to play it. Played through the PS3 version a couple times when it first came out.

08fdf7d7ef.png

With games that are available digitally the developer had to create a 2nd version of the game that didn't stop and ask for a 2nd disc, but instead had all the files it needed in one place.
Like you might get a GOTY edition of a game with all the content included, these are often a different SKU

if the developer never did this, then it might well be an awkward thing to do afterwards. in the grand scheme of thing it's probably very easy to do , but whether or not a publisher is willing to allocate resources to getting this done is debatable.
There are also other games that were never intended to run from HDD and actually freak out. Crackdown was a game that could never be installed because of some specific tech issue with that game, they actually had to patch the game to get it to work.

I see, so the digital L.A. Noire is really just a different version of the game. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Syriel

Why would they be doing a remaster?

Halo 1 had a remaster for it's 10 year anniversary in 2011
Halo 2 for it's 10 year anniversary in 2014
Surely 2016 is Halo Wars 2
2017 would be a Halo 3 Remaster on it's 10th anniversary
2018 would be Halo 6
2019 would be ODST for it's 10th year
2020 would be Reach's 10th year anniversary

ODST is already done as DLC for Halo: MCC.

shanafan

Is Black Ops 1 available digitally (besides pack in BO3)?

I looked for it on the Marketplace website, but just First Strike DLC was available.

EDIT: Found a code on eBay for $10. Done!

Ein Bear

The new Gold deals go live tomorrow, it'd be cool if they did a backwards compatibility sale or something. I'd double-dip on a fair few games I already own on PS3, just for the convenience.

KingBroly

Banned
Games I have and want to play:

Alien Hominid HD
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Borderlands
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Doom
Joy Ride Turbo
Just Cause 2
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight

Games I might now buy:

Doom II
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
Wolfenstein 3D
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Not bad but there is much more other stuff I want

Hate to break this to you, but you can't buy Sonic 2 or 3 on XBLA anymore. Still don't know why.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's a nice start, and I've got a bunch of xbla games I'd love to go back to after all this time.

I never got too hyped though, as there's the tech hurdles, but also publisher and licensing roadblocks as well with this.

For sure. I hope that publishers will be a bit generous with this, but I understand if there's licensing issues that prevent some titles from appearing.

Found a very dusty steelbook of Prince of Persia in my little games pile (been unplayed since about 2009ish) so I guess I'll play that and the Gears games until Reach and Read Dead (it's coming right? ... Guys?) are up

I still don't get it why I need Publishers permissions to play a game I fn paid for. I don't care if it's on 360 or Kindle Fire. I paid for it.

Somnia

I still don't get it why I need Publishers permissions to play a game I fn paid for. I don't care if it's on 360 or Kindle Fire. I paid for it.

For legal reasons regarding music, etc. that the publisher may not have anymore. They can't publish said game if they don't own the rights anymore. They probably have some clause that let's them continue to sell them digitally on xb360 since they had the rights at one time, but they can't re-release or make new copies.

Almost like how Netflix had to change the music on Supernatural in some seasons.

jelly

Phil has said that including Reach in the back compat library does not prevent them from doing some remaster thingy for MCC.

He is just saying what I want to hear! Phil never delivers :p

Reach would be nice to get them all together at 60fps and cleaned up. I don't think Microsoft will ever revisit the old games again, not even for a Halo 3 Anniversary remaster. I think 343 are done with going back now, moving on to new stuff.

Bread

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

those fuckers couldn't have included civ rev!? god dammit that's the only game i want.

FStop7

Banned
Making BC opt-in meant we'll probably never get support for a lot of the games we would have actually wanted to play.

For legal reasons regarding music, etc. that the publisher may not have anymore. They can't publish said game if they don't own the rights anymore. They probably have some clause that let's them continue to sell them digitally on xb360 since they had the rights at one time, but they can't re-release or make new copies.

Almost like how Netflix had to change the music on Supernatural in some seasons.

They are not re-releasing it. They are allowing you to play it (the game you already own) on a newer console using emulation.

Making it accessible digitally is a different story.

Like I said it doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds more like "MS: Hey Activision, do you guys plan on "remastering" COD Black Ops 2? If not we will make it backwards compatible" "Activision no FU we want to resell this game at $60 later on..." Just an example

Somnia

They are not re-releasing it. They are allowing you to play it (the game you already own) on a newer console using emulation.

Making it accessible digitally is a different story.

Like I said it doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds more like "MS: Hey Activision, do you guys plan on "remastering" COD Black Ops 2? If not we will make it backwards compatible" "Activision no FU we want to resell this game at $60 later on..." Just an example

They still legally have to have the rights to publish it. They have to have the ESRB ratings, etc.

Sure for physical games you're right they could just make any of them work because you can't stop people who own the disc, but since so many are going to have a digital side they are covering their asses.

I get what you're saying, but it's more then just flipping a switch to make shit work.

ShogunX

Decent enough start with some great games like Condemned, Stick of Truth and the Gears series.

Just hope MS keeps updating the list on a regular basis, I've a shit ton of arcade games I bought but never even played. Be nice to see them make an appearance.

No crackdown 1 or 2 guess more waiting I do see gears in there so not to bad I just really wanted crackdown that's just a complete let down for me esp since it's a first party title I figured it would be in day one

Top Bottom