• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First list of Xbox One backward compatibility games revealed

Incredibly underwhelming. I was sure they would at least get half of the first page of most requested games. This wasn't the way to start.

WaltJay

I didn't realize that disc-based games can be played on XBO too. For some reason, I thought it was digital games only. Now have some now-BC games from my 360 backlog that I can continue not to play, but it's nice to have the option. :)

I didn't realize that disc-based games can be played on XBO too. For some reason, I thought it was digital games only. Now have some now-BC games from my 360 backlog that I can continue not to play, but it's nice to have the option. :)
Disc-based games are still downloaded from XBL, but you have to use the disc as authentication.

Yes, but you still need the disc to authenticate. Also, if you have a current save file, save it to the cloud on the Xbox 360 end so the Xbox one can pick it up.

Gorki247

I've seen a few mentions here that Fable 3 has been announced. I know Fable 2 is amongst the first batch, but when was 3 confirmed?

No Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon? :(

Could have been a very tempting proposal to pick up an Xbox One seeing I never had a 360, so unless Scalebound reviews at like 90+ I'll have to continue to pass.

Zeta Oni

I've seen a few mentions here that Fable 3 has been announced. I know Fable 2 is amongst the first batch, but when was 3 confirmed?

All MS first party 360 games are confirmed outside the ones that require external devices like the kinect if I'm not mistaken.

Really holding out for the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Kind of sad to see all of the Sonic games there released as singles. Bad sign for seeing this one.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Have they said how often they plan on updating the list? That will be key on how comprehensive BC on Xbox One really is.

Hopefully they put out 20ish titles a week instead of dumping a bunch once a month. I would love a regular "Backwards Compatibility Day" each week.

kingwingin

Little number at dead island and dead space not being on that list. Bought them during the sale expecting to play them.

Hopefully the next wave of 100 doesn't take too long

Zeta Oni

Have they said how often they plan on updating the list? That will be key on how comprehensive BC on Xbox One really is.

Monthly updates

But the amount per update is up for a toss every month, as it's completely dependant on what the publishers will allow and then getting them through cert.

If I'm reading correctly, that is.

On one hand, that means we could see months that see few games released due to publishers wanting to hold off BC games for promotions and such. On the other we could see months where alot of games a dumped due to publishers deciding to upload their catalog at once.

It's simply gonna have to be seen for the next 2 or 3 months how consistant and substiantial the BC additions are.

Edit: For reference-

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/09/t...ackward-compatibility-games-is-now-available/ :

You can expect new Xbox One Backward Compatible games to be announced on a regular basis, starting in December. More titles are on the way, including fan favorites like Halo Reach, Halo Wars, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite and Skate 3. Stay tuned because this just the beginning of a long list of Xbox 360 games that will run on Xbox One.

http://www.windowscentral.com/exclusive-interview-xbox-one-platform-lead-mike-ybarra

We certainly want to have a regular cadence that we give updates for Xbox 360 titles. Our biggest obstacle there is working with publishers and getting their approval for the older titles. We continue to work on that right now, I would say, it varies in response across the publishers. Some are like "yep, let's go, rock n' roll" and others are a little bit more thoughtful about how they want to think about that. It's hard for us to promise, I'll just make something up, 20 titles a month from now on, because it really depends on the publisher enabling us to release those titles. Certainly we want to release a set of titles on a regular basis that customers are asking for, that can provide value to them.

I'm extremely interested to see if Nuts & Bolts framerate has improved since Rare Replay's launch. I hope they also fix the game breaking glitch in Banjo-Kazooie (Bottles' puzzles and notes disappearing).

Monthly updates

But the amount per update is up for a toss every month, as it's completely dependant on what the publishers will allow and then getting them through cert.

If I'm reading correctly, that is.

On one hand, that means we could see months that see few games released due to publishers wanting to hold off BC games for promotions and such. On the other we could see months where alot of games a dumped due to publishers deciding to upload their catalog at once.

It's simply gonna have to be seen for the next 2 or 3 months how consistant and substiantial the BC additions are.

Edit: For reference-

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/09/t...ackward-compatibility-games-is-now-available/ :

http://www.windowscentral.com/exclusive-interview-xbox-one-platform-lead-mike-ybarra

20 a month for a library with thousands of games and boasting about an emulator that is "basically plug and play" is incredibly disappointing. I would hope for that per week.

jim2011

I think some of the heavy hitters are going to be saved for games with gold, especially Red Dead Redemption. I also think a lot will be preorder incentives.

jbug617

Banned
I wonder if MS just has a bunch of titles already confirmed but they just spacing it out so they can keep the 100 titles per month thing.

20 a month for a library with thousands of games and boasting about an emulator that is "basically plug and play" is incredibly disappointing. I would hope for that per week.

He hasn't committed to 20 games a month, they haven't committed to anything.

They don't want to just chuck games on it, some games have had specific updates to make them run better, I'm sure they will keep working on the emulator.

They will space the games out for maximum PR, to keep the games flowing and to give them a chance to make sure everything works as they want it to.

Navy Bean

It's a decent list, but really it's up to the publishers. It's not like MS wouldn't love to have Red Dead, etc on there. And of course everyone has a particular list of games they'd love to see. I really only would want 2 games: Crackdown and Lost Odyssey.

jrDev

Um, where is the first Tomb Raider? The new one is releasing right now, wouldn't it be best to have the old one be compatible?

Orca

I wonder if we'll see more publisher support when there's a store on the Xbox One that they can use to directly sell to the customers.

RedEther

Not a single Fighting Game.

elUYMgh.jpg

Drago

No Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon? :(

Could have been a very tempting proposal to pick up an Xbox One seeing I never had a 360, so unless Scalebound reviews at like 90+ I'll have to continue to pass.

Well it's not like they're never gonna get added. Hell I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer went on record saying they're aiming to get Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon BC as soon as possible.

I'm extremely interested to see if Nuts & Bolts framerate has improved since Rare Replay's launch. I hope they also fix the game breaking glitch in Banjo-Kazooie (Bottles' puzzles and notes disappearing).

Ditto, I really wanted to replay N&B on Rare Replay but the Showdown Town framerate was just too much of a turnoff. Desperately hoping they ironed those issues out.

As for the Bottles glitch, that's an issue with the game itself and not BC, at this point I don't see it ever getting fixed unfortunately.

Top Bottom