• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Star Wars Kinect: Swingin' With A Shirtless Nautolan [Up: Disneyland]

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kintaco said:
How is it stupid? The quote I quoted mentions walking around the park, so that is why I wrote what I did.

Because he wasn't comparing it to the actual experience of visiting the park. He was just saying that having freedom of movement in a 3D environment controlled by Kinect was better than the corridor experiences that other developers are supposed to be making.

Kafel said:
kids games, as expected (not the hardcore ones)

Like those will be any better.

The ONLY ideas that makes sense with Kinect are Just Dance type of games, or the "hand signals" for squad maneuvers idea that everyone always talks about. Anything that has to do with imagining holding a real object is complete and utter failure.

Audioboxer

As others have said, Star Wars looks fucking awful, Disney looks like it will be decent for the younger audiences. I can't imagine most gamers turning off COD MW3 and then going to hug Mickey though, or can I?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There still is the XBLA, which is looking more and more as the savior of the hardcore. Yes, I know some Kinect XBLA titles have popped up, but the upcoming games list isn't dominated by them.

bill0527

What the FUCK man ???

Just flailing your arms around and shit to swing your lightsaber?

Awful in every sense of the word.

Gaspode_T

Dunno what you guys are expecting for Star Wars, if it's somewhat controlled you would call it on rails, if it's completely sandbox it would be impossible to control. I think somehow they could design this game in literally any way and people here would still complain, just because it's a perfect game to complain about.

I think it will be fun for those of us that haven't killed and buried our inner child...I'm sad to see that the reveal has been bungled by some guy leaking Kudo demoing it instead of a proper trailer.

Star Wars looks dreadful. Actually it's kind of embarrassing. As much as I like Kinect, they should stick to more abstract games ala Child of Eden, or at lease genres which would benefit from it's use (adventure games).

I'd like to say I'm wrong when they show it at the conference, but I probably won't be.

Shurs

Gaspode_T said:
Dunno what you guys are expecting for Star Wars, if it's somewhat controlled you would call it on rails, if it's completely sandbox it would be impossible to control. I think somehow they could design this game in literally any way and people here would still complain, just because it's a perfect game to complain about.

I think it will be fun for those of us that haven't killed and buried our inner child...I'm sad to see that the reveal has been bungled by some guy leaking Kudo demoing it instead of a proper trailer.

There is a proper trailer. It's the EW link in the OP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ShockingAlberto said:
This is going to seem totally crazy, but

The game they showed last year.

The problem is that it wasn't even a game, just some guy on stage pretending he's playing in front of a video. The sad thing is that it looks like Fudo isn't even playing the game in the OP's videos, but it's so inaccurate that it only looks that way. Nothing he's doing seems related to what is happening on the screen.

I would like a good motion controlled Star Wars game as much the next guy, but this just someone slapping a popular brand on crap to make it sell.

VylLx.gif

output changed

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
WrikaWrek said:
Still don't believe it. Terrible move really, Halo remake has to come out blazzing out, a first gen game of next gen console.

We've already seen everything Halo has to give this gen.
They'll push this out the door make some money on the 10th anniversary, while 343i work on getting Halo 4 out as a launch window game for the next Xbox.

Microsoft's new direction in general just doesn't appeal to me, controller free gaming just isn't my cup of tea. I just hope that they at least throw the hard-core a few bones, Halo HD would be cool (even though we have all played Halo a million times). We already know about Gears 3, Forza and Alan Wake is a good start, but in comparrison to Sony's NGP stuff and Nintendo's next home console, MS's conference is going to be pretty weak (at least it seems that way). I have done about 85% of my current gen gaming on the 360, I think things are going to change though, and I suspect many Gaffers probably feel the same.

Sutton Dagger said:
Microsoft's new direction in general just doesn't appeal to me, controller free gaming just isn't my cup of tea. I just hope that they at least throw the hard-core a few bones, Halo HD would be cool (even though we have all played Halo a million times). We already know about Gears 3, Forza and Alan Wake is a good start, but in comparrison to Sony's NGP stuff and Nintendo's next home console, MS's conference is going to be pretty weak (at least it seems that way). I have done about 85% of my current gen gaming on the 360, I think things are going to change though, and I suspect many Gaffers probably feel the same.
Welcome to Nintendo. Circa 2008. It'll pass.

Jeels

Gaspode_T said:

When there's no good way to make a game the basic design and premise is flawed, and it should be scrapped.

Snuggler said:
The problem is that it wasn't even a game, just some guy on stage pretending he's playing in front of a video. The sad thing is that it looks like Fudo isn't even playing the game in the OP's videos, but it's so inaccurate that it only looks that way. Nothing he's doing seems related to what is happening on the screen.

Could there have been some wifi interference? :(

jjasper

Snuggler said:

What he is doing is happening on screen just 2-3 seconds after he does it.

Sutton Dagger said:

Totally agree. My 360 has been getting less and less time while my PS3 is at all time high usage, and only going to increase in the next year. Add Nintendo possibly dropping a bomb and a gaming PC, and the 360 is looking kind of dead to me except for Gears 3, and the odd game here and there.

Adam J.

Damn. As a Kinect owner who loves Star Wars, I can't help but feel really disappointed at how terrible this game looks.

TUROK said:
Jesus fucking Christ, why did I buy a Kinect? Granted, I got it for 10 bucks, but still!!!

Child of Eden seems to be pretty damn good. I wonder if that will be in the conference?

I really hope that MS/From don't think people want to play Steel Battalion like this, it had better be a hybrid game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Child of Eden seems to be pretty damn good. I wonder if that will be in the conference?

I really hope that MS/From don't think people want to play Steel Battalion like this, it had better be a hybrid game.
Considering it makes grown men cry I can see why!

Acosta

haha...

hahahaha....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god, and to think some people defend that piece of trash as a valid alternative to a pad... This shit is good for dancing games and "wave in front of your screen" games, and nothing else. It´s not a matter of being "open minded", it´s a matter of it being conceptually inefficient and ridicule when trying anything that demands a minimum of precision and a full rage of controls (the gesture for going ahead, lol.)

At least the gifs will be godly again.

Adam J.

I think Kinect still has a chance at having a good show. The Japanese stuff could be great, as well as Gears Kinect and XBLA stuff like GunStringer and Fruit Ninja. It's just very troubling that they couldn't be bothered to make fucking Star Wars at least halfway decent. I guess I shouldn't judge until I actually play it...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The people complaining must have really thought the Kinect was going to be awesome. As a person who hasn't really been interested so far, I just look at it and think yep, looks like a Kinect game. I'm hoping the actual conference will have something to make me understand why everyone's so excited about this tech.

Adam J. said:
It's just very troubling that they couldn't be bothered to make fucking Star Wars at least halfway decent.
Microsoft aren't making it, Terminal Reality (Ghostbusters) are. As a fan of Kinect, I have no problem with saying that it looks poor. Then again, I'm not a Star Wars fan so it doesn't bother me one bit.

antonz

you know visually it looked better last year when it was basically a rip of Old Republic assets in the fake trailer

Top Bottom