• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official Harry Potter and The Cursed Child pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Deep within me, I hope for people to be over such nonsense... but I fear that I overstimate people.

It has already happened right?

Remember when idiots on the internet were upset over the character in Hunger Games being black when in reality she was black even in the book?

Holy shit, they went all in on the craziness for this.

HUGE SPOILERS
Shame is they ever try to make this into a film that Alan Rickman can't reprise Snape.

The one awkward thing about black Hermione as a kid would have been all those racists mudblood comments by Malfoy.

Only just realised but that's a legitimate reason to not have her be black. The only one that I'd say is valid. Awkward. Obviously it only matters if the mudblood racism is present in the play and if Hermione and her kids are the target of it.

PSqueak

Banned
What naming conventions though?

Writing huge connotations and blatant character traits in the name.

Naming him "evil" wouldn't be much different from having characters named things like "Remus Lupin" the guy who has a name that references a wolf, a last name that means wolf and also happens to be a werewolf, or how about "Fleur delacoeur", the lovely love interest whose name translates to "Flower of the heart", Ron Weasley lives in a place called "the burrow".

So Draco Malfoy, decendant of Brutus Malfoy, son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, naming his son Scorpius is totally in synch with everything else.

Sylas

I'm not entirely sure I buy this.
There are a lot of really harsh cuts between timelines--and the different timelines even existing seems like it'd be incredibly difficult to pull off in a stageplay. A lot of this is really elaborate and sounds more like a movie as opposed to something put on stage. Hell, it reads like fanfiction--especially the ending where they want to drive home the point that Draco was a good person all along!!!

sphagnum

Banned
I'm not entirely sure I buy this.
There are a lot of really harsh cuts between timelines--and the different timelines even existing seems like it'd be incredibly difficult to pull off in a stageplay. A lot of this is really elaborate and sounds more like a movie as opposed to something put on stage. Hell, it reads like fanfiction--especially the ending where they want to drive home the point that Draco was a good person all along!!!

There's multiple people who have seen the play talking about it online. All this stuff seems to be true, albeit with some commentary by the summary writer who is a Draco fan.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Writing huge connotations and blatant character traits in the name.

Naming him "evil" wouldn't be much different from having characters named things like "Remus Lupin" the guy who has a name that references a wolf, a last name that means wolf and also happens to be a werewolf, or how about "Fleur delacoeur", the lovely love interest whose name translates to "Flower of the heart", Ron Weasley lives in a place called "the burrow".

So Draco Malfoy, decendant of Brutus Malfoy, son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, naming his son Scorpius is totally in synch with everything else.

Eh, not sure I would call that the series naming convention when it doesn't apply to the vast majority of characters, but I will agree that there is precedent :)

Sylas

There's multiple people who have seen the play talking about it online. All this stuff seems to be true, albeit with some commentary by the summary writer who is a Draco fan.

Buh. Buhhhh. I hope it looks better than it sounds because jesus christ I have no idea how they'll pull this off.

Wait.. lol I thought it was a picture mistake or trolling. Why is Hermoine black? And maybe I'm blind but Ron is not a ginger? Where is his red hair ffs? What am I seeing? :S

A different rendition of the same characters.
But why are they different renditions? Is this supposed to be canon or a musical or something? Or a straight up sequel? Because that's pretty nonsensical if it's a canon sequel.

I haven't caught up with this since the only thing I heard was the Mythical Creatures (or whatever it's called) outside of Harry's world.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
But why are they different renditions? Is this supposed to be canon or a musical or something? Or a straight up sequel? Because that's pretty nonsensical if it's a canon sequel.

I haven't caught up with this since the only thing I heard was the Mythical Creatures (or whatever it's called) outside of Harry's world.

It's a stage play, and I'm assuming it is canonical since the story came from J.K. Rowling.

It's a stage play, and I'm assuming it is canonical since the story came from J.K. Rowling.
Hmmmm.. if it's a stage play I don't know if I will see it. But this turning into a movie and changing how a character looks for no reason would have pissed me off, esp since it's one of my favorite series.

Henkka

Banned
Wait.. lol I thought it was a picture mistake or trolling. Why is Hermoine black? And maybe I'm blind but Ron is not a ginger? Where is his red hair ffs? What am I seeing? :S

Ron still has faded red hair. As for Hermione being black.. I've no clue. *shrug* It's theatre, so I don't think it matters really.

Toxi

Banned
6OVlX76.jpg
Dumbledore wears whatever the fuck he wants.

sphagnum

Banned
Hmmmm.. if it's a stage play I don't know if I will see it. But this turning into a movie and changing how a character looks for no reason would have pissed me off, esp since it's one of my favorite series.

They just cast whoever they thought were the best actors. That's about it.

The screenplay is canon, the play is just a performance. I'm sure if they ever make a movie they'll try to get as many people from the movie cast as possible.

Timbuktu

They just cast whoever they thought were the best actors. That's about it.

The screenplay is canon, the play is just a performance. I'm sure if they ever make a movie they'll try to get as many people from the movie cast as possible.

How long until the actors are the right age for this?

MattyG

Banned
I read the first couple paragraphs.
Rumors of Draco having Voldemort father his child? Time Turners to go back and save Cedric?

I'm not going to read any more since I want to read the script instead of a synopsis, but....

WHAT.

Rowling should have just said she supports a reinterpretation of Hermione as a black woman because "Why not?" rather than the silly statement she gave to defend it. It just draws in more controversy than it merits.

Rumors of Draco having Voldemort father his child? Time Turners to go back and save Cedric?

I'm not going to read any more since I want to read the script instead of a synopsis, but....

WHAT.

Really, the two are essentially the same :\ The script is "hearsay" of the play, as is a synopsis. The whole thing is so dumb.

MogCakes

WHAT.

I

I should not have read this post

Y'know J.R.R. Tolkien once planned a sequel to LOTR called the "New Shadow". He realised he was essentially retreading old ground and the material was off. He scrapped it.

Maaaaaaaybe if J.K. Rowling's going to steal giant spiders and black cloaked hooded faceless soul-sucking enforcers, she could steal that too...

Is it that impossible to see a play? Letting another medium have a go at this universe is pretty awesome.

Yeah sorry I don't live in London and the ticket prices are ridiculous. It's an obnoxious, needless alteration.

Ron still has faded red hair. As for Hermione being black.. I've no clue. *shrug* It's theatre, so I don't think it matters really.
Since it's theater, it won't matter much to me but it's pretty stupid. My contact is having some issues, so I need to see Ron's hair again. Not a fan of the fading ginger red hair tbh, I love that family's iconic red hair (dye your hair smh -_-)
Look I don't give a shit if she`s black white or blue. But whatever color she is, make sure she is that since the first movie and keep up the consistency. Her agreeing with the move doesn't magically make it make sense. But this is a play so no reason for me to keep it going, I should STFU unless I at least get to see it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom