• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap gameplay footage (10 minutes/BitSummit prototype)

ggx2ac

I've always thought Dragons Trap doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for the Metroidvania genre too

Imagine the reviews when this game comes out. "It's a Metroidvania in the vein of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night..." lol

This game must be really niche even though it's appeared on SMS and PC-Engine with sequels on the Sega Mega Drive.

Looks awesome! I just wish the video had game audio and not two guys talking over it the whole time.

The audio's cool in a way since it's a pseudo interview for the game and you get to learn more details but yeah I agree it would have been awesome for this to be direct feed with the game's audio. We haven't heard enough of the soundtrack yet so it would have been lovely to hear the new music. Just to confirm the platforms for those asking it's PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U so everything in existence outside of the Vita and NX for the moment.

It'll be pretty much released on everything so everyone should be able to play it. Given its release time frame I think they should seriously consider the NX.

Imagine the reviews when this game comes out. "It's a Metroidvania in the vein of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night..." lol

This game must be really niche even though it's appeared on SMS and PC-Engine with sequels on the Sega Mega Drive.

It's still the core game from back in the day so theoretically the reviews should be glowing with praise just as they were back in the nineties. This remake is wonderful in a way since not enough people got to experience the game when it came out with the Master System being hammered by the NES particularly in North America so given this remake is so rigorously faithful to the original it'll give more people a chance to experience the game. Kids that would find it impossible to play the original given its age can grow up playing the remake which is a lovely notion. :)

And yes Wonderboy is indeed a niche series. It didn't help that Sega shuttered the Western release of Monster World IV. You can even see on NeoGAF the ramifications of that with people just experiencing the game now via digital re-releases having never played it before all because it was Japanese only upon release.

Still though Wonderboy is an awesome series and two new promising games on the horizon is just amazing to see. Can't wait for both!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

...unless people feel that it hasn't aged well, which I suspect will be a common sentiment.

I don't know man a classic is a classic - and a cult one at that. There is an argument to be had that gameplay from something like twenty years ago won't transition well in to the current gaming sphere but Bock seems pretty resolute on mirroring the game as accurately as possible. I'm just hoping he's open to the idea of iterating and improving the game where possible - things like new areas, more secrets and an extension of what made the original game so great. We're already getting a game with the same mechanics and yet all new original content with Monster Boy so by mirroring the original game so accurately this remake is actually distinguishing itself as doing something more unique. I think if they changed the game too much the game would become too similar to Monster Boy.

Either way we're getting two new awesome Wonderboy games after the franchise was long considered dead and that's an exciting prospect.

ggx2ac

I don't know man a classic is a classic - and a cult one at that.

Hey, give me your opinion. I usually try to recommend people to play Zelda II: The Adventure of Link because I feel there are gameplay similarities between that and WB in Monster Land and Dragon's Trap. (I feel there's more similarities between them especially because of their age than saying a Metroidvania title.)

Do you think it's a good recommendation? (Unless you haven't played Zelda II of course.)

Trivia: According to Wikipedia in 1987, Zelda II came out in January and Wonder Boy in Monster Land came out in August.

Hey, give me your opinion. I usually try to recommend people to play Zelda II: The Adventure of Link because I feel there are gameplay similarities between that and WB in Monster Land and Dragon's Trap. (I feel there's more similarities between them especially because of their age than saying a Metroidvania title.)

Do you think it's a good recommendation? (Unless you haven't played Zelda II of course.)

Trivia: According to Wikipedia in 1987, Zelda II came out in January and Wonder Boy in Monster Land came out in August.

My opinion. Okay cool! I just think that the game was so good when it came out with so many adoring and hardcore cult fans that the gameplay and design is timeless. I think that it would transition well in to the current gaming sphere. It's a classic, hardcore gaming experience that given a modern graphical facelift should be as timeless and wonderful as back when it was released. I could be wrong here but I hope for this game's sake I'm right. It deserves rave reviews and deserves to sell well. I think the dream scenario here is that the game does so well Bock can continue to make Wonderboy games. Wonderboy in Monster Land remake anyone?

I've never played Zelda II but I've heard of it - sounds like a good recommendation!

Dremark

Banned
My opinion. Okay cool! I just think that the game was so good when it came out with so many adoring and hardcore cult fans that the gameplay and design is timeless. I think that it would transition well in to the current gaming sphere. It's a classic, hardcore gaming experience that given a modern graphical facelift should be as timeless and wonderful as back when it was released. I could be wrong here but I hope for this game's sake I'm right. It deserves rave reviews and deserves to sell well. I think the dream scenario here is that the game does so well Bock can continue to make Wonderboy games. Wonderboy in Monster Land remake anyone?

I've never played Zelda II but I've heard of it - sounds like a good recommendation!

Yeah I've played this game somewhat recently and I think it still holds up pretty well. I haven't gotten to look at the stuff for the new version but if it's just a graphics facelift I still think it will hold up.

Also seconding Zelda 2, very much in the same vein as Wonderboy 3 and "Metroidvanias" and also an excellent game in it's own right.

Pretty challenging for the genre though, but that's part of it's charm.

Zelda 2 has aged magnificently, and I love how tough but fair the enemy patterns are.

Except the Grand Palace blue bird warriors of course. Even 25 years later I still run away from those guys rather then lose 80% of my health to kill one.

ggx2ac

I... meant your opinion on recommending Zelda II to people who've played the Monster World games. Seeing though that you never played it, I guess this is your chance if you're interested.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion on Dragon's Trap then and yes, I wouldn't mind having a remake of Wonder Boy in Monster Land either. Just throw in a 1 credit only difficulty and claim it's recommended for people who play Dark Souls.

Yeah I've played this game somewhat recently and I think it still holds up pretty well. I haven't gotten to look at the stuff for the new version but if it's just a graphics facelift I still think it will hold up.

Also seconding Zelda 2, very much in the same vein as Wonderboy 3 and "Metroidvanias" and also an excellent game in it's own right.

Zelda 2 has aged magnificently, and I love how tough but fair the enemy patterns are.

Except the Grand Palace blue bird warriors of course. Even 25 years later I still run away from those guys rather then lose 80% of my health to kill one.

I'm glad I'm not the only that thinks well of Zelda II. It's just I can't think of many side-scrolling action RPGs that would've helped people appreciate Zelda II in the past other than the Monster World series and YS III.

I don't have any other side-scrolling action RPGs in mind before the Metroidvania occurred. I remember most side-scrolling games back then were just action oriented.

I don't have any other side-scrolling action RPGs in mind before the Metroidvania occurred. I remember most side-scrolling games back then were just action oriented.

Well, there's battle of olympus and gargoyles quest 2 I guess. Vania 2 of course, and maybe Wizards & Warriors III and Faxanadu.

ggx2ac

Well, there's battle of olympus and gargoyles quest 2 I guess. Vania 2 of course, and maybe Wizards & Warriors III and Faxanadu.

Those are some good suggestions, I can't believe I forgot Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. I need to get Gargoyle's Quest 2 off Wii U VC, I have the first one which is for gameboy on 3DS VC and Demon's Crest for Wii U VC.

I just went to look up a couple and besides the dragon slayer games that were ported to NES. I saw two other games called Cadash and E.V.O.: Search for Eden. Never played them but I assume they could be good.

Agreed! The game holds up extremely well and remains a cult classic - I'm sure that'd transition well in to the current gaming landscape.

I... meant your opinion on recommending Zelda II to people who've played the Monster World games. Seeing though that you never played it, I guess this is your chance if you're interested.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion on Dragon's Trap then and yes, I wouldn't mind having a remake of Wonder Boy in Monster Land either. Just throw in a 1 credit only difficulty and claim it's recommended for people who play Dark Souls.

Sorry man! Must have misinterpreted your post. Zelda II sounds like an awesome game to recommend to Wonderboy fans. At least from what I know of the game.

Neff

What's the problem with this one?

As a Wonder Boy title, I dislike the visuals and presentation immensely. They're impressive and cool-looking in their own right, but they completely misunderstand the appeal of the look of the original.

CamHostage

Love it! The art style is wonderful simplicity, and the addition of 'squigglevision'-type animation on the still characters connects to me in a specific way.

Wonder Boy, Monster Boy ... you can't make me choose, I must have both.

Wow, looks fantastic. I love how it seamlessly mixes the basic art style of the SMS game with a hand drawn, animated story book aesthetic.

Ranger X

First thought this was about this:
"Monsterboy and the Cursed kingdom"

http://www.monsterboy.com/blog/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg1s6A6VJ8

So we get 2 new Monsterboys?

And both looks amazing!!

Wow, looks fantastic. I love how it seamlessly mixes the basic art style of the SMS game with a hand drawn, animated story book aesthetic.

The visuals are truly something else! It has a children's storybook quality to it which is just colourful, vivid and beautiful to look at. The game is a stunner.

JPS Kai

Not yet, sadly. It (looks like) is already playable, so hopefully mid-2017. 1 year after the reveal (june 2016). Just speculation and wishful thinking here

It does looks gorgeous

Last I heard from PR was Q1 2017, but that was back in September when they were letting me review Oceanhorn (same PR firm).

Top Bottom