• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

GymWolf

What about rest? It's normal made workouts one day working and one rest?
3 days a week is the most classic split, i did that for many years.

You only need to train more if you really enjoy the process or you are an advanced bodybuilder with a specific objective.

4 times a week is usually the gold number for most.

For example right now i train 5 times fullbody (you train every muscle group) a week but the volume and intensity is obviosly lower than training 3 times a week (still super hard and always a couple of reps from failure).

It mostly depends on what you see fit, if you train and eat well results comes independently when you are beginner/medium level.

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
3 days a week is the most classic split, i did that for many years.

You only need to train more if you really enjoy the process or you are an advanced bodybuilder with a specific objective.

4 times a week is usually the gold number for most.

For example right now i train 5 times fullbody (you train every muscle group) a week but the volume and intensity is obviosly lower than training 3 times a week (still super hard and always a couple of reps from failure).

It mostly depends on what you see fit, if you train and eat well results comes independently when you are beginner/medium level.
I am training for run, cycling and swim. How to train for these. I am interested in triathlon.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ok. Long story short I went from 286.601 pounds to 158.733 in about 6 years while starting to go tūo the gym which became an obsession (which many can relate to) and ended up super ripped and dry (4/5%) Got asked if I was doing competition etc (to be fair we're talking about a small town gym)

Blabla bad stuff happend and the last 2 years I didn't do squat (pun intended)

With that said, I'm doing better and a week or three ago I made the decision to go back.

Problem though, I have chronic lower back pain that goes to my glutes and finally to my knees. Also a very tight and weak left shoulder.

Finally found a great physiotherapist so I'm at a state i have to do lots of stretching and lots of cardio (want to lose around 13.2277 pounds)

Anyways yesterday I had my second therapy appointment and asked what i CAN so in regards to weight exercises and surprisingly the options were pretty broad.

So yeah. Let's go for it. Easy does it. Right?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ok. Long story short I went from 286.601 pounds to 158.733 in about 6 years while starting to go tūo the gym which became an obsession (which many can relate to) and ended up super ripped and dry (4/5%) Got asked if I was doing competition etc (to be fair we're talking about a small town gym)

Blabla bad stuff happend and the last 2 years I didn't do squat (pun intended)

With that said, I'm doing better and a week or three ago I made the decision to go back.

Problem though, I have chronic lower back pain that goes to my glutes and finally to my knees. Also a very tight and weak left shoulder.

Finally found a great physiotherapist so I'm at a state i have to do lots of stretching and lots of cardio (want to lose around 13.2277 pounds)

Anyways yesterday I had my second therapy appointment and asked what i CAN so in regards to weight exercises and surprisingly the options were pretty broad.

So yeah. Let's go for it. Easy does it. Right?
Good decision man. I struggle with knee & hip issues so you have my sympathy. I've been doing yoga and an inversion table to help out with the issue. It seems to work well as long as I don't push it too hard on my lifts.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Good decision man. I struggle with knee & hip issues so you have my sympathy. I've been doing yoga and an inversion table to help out with the issue. It seems to work well as long as I don't push it too hard on my lifts.

Sorry to hear man...

I know your pain although in a different way I suppose..

Yeah you know it it seems; listen to your body. Easy does it and time will do the rest

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Today's run was not so happy on my shins and knees so I kept to 30 mins. I thought about going for an hour but I didn't want tor ask any setbacks, as I've a ton of manual labor in the backyard to do.

Also, I fucking love the Apple Health app. I'm not obsessing over metrics like I did last year so it's nice to just have a sort of dashboard where I can see at a quick glance if I am trending in the right direction. The option to dig in is always there, but it's not something I dig into as much to help avoid burnout.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Today's run was not so happy on my shins and knees so I kept to 30 mins. I thought about going for an hour but I didn't want tor ask any setbacks, as I've a ton of manual labor in the backyard to do.

Also, I fucking love the Apple Health app. I'm not obsessing over metrics like I did last year so it's nice to just have a sort of dashboard where I can see at a quick glance if I am trending in the right direction. The option to dig in is always there, but it's not something I dig into as much to help avoid burnout.

A well chosen decision skipper. Some days just don't synch with your goals. Good for you.

As for myself. Well, after 3 physical therapy sessions that gave me stretches and flexing my "corset" core muscles while keep breathing and multiple hour long stairmaster and crosstrainer sessions I finally did some weight exercises. No shoulder yet though. ( those were my favorite back in the day)

Felt good. Very good indeed.
First step has been taken and it was a small step. But a step nevertheless and Im already craving tomorrow's session.

Coming Wednesday another physio session so yeah.

I really need a good left shoulder massage (to many nerves around my core muscle that gives me all this shoulder pain so alas no dry needling)

I do though want a dry needling session for my glutes, around the piriformis area.

When I lay on my back an pull my knees towards me till they're in a 90° angle with my lower part of my legs horizontal and turn left or right while keeping my back and shoulders on the floor it's like there's a marble in my pocket(s).

That's the fucking knot that needs some needles to loosen up. That will facilitate the stretches I'm doing as well..

The End

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I cannot fully extent my right arm.

tom cruise maverick GIF

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
36 hours? Yesterday I reached like 26 by accident. Why you do it? I'll have to look into this. Btw respect Captain. I'm now at a point where I only eat dinner and a snack later (Keto still)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sore biceps.
First time lifting weights in 2 years so yeah.

But it's good Means I did well.

Forgot to quote you Maiden Voyage

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I want to squat and deadlift and and and .... But still have to go through some physical therapy to really get it on.

You're a powerlifter or more for aesthetics and the strength is a bonus?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
36 hours? Yesterday I reached like 26 by accident. Why you do it? I'll have to look into this. Btw respect Captain. I'm now at a point where I only eat dinner and a snack later (Keto still)
I did a 3 day fast for the first time ever last year. I enjoyed it, though day 3 was rough. I've read that after day 3, it is very easy to go further. 3 days is about what I would do max for the time being. I did break this fast around 40 hours in.

The benefits are pretty well documented. For me, mostly longevity is the goal. The challenge is appealing as well. I've been doing intermittent fasting since I was a kid, as I never really ate breakfast.

Here's a good brief summary:

Here's a more in-depth discussion on the science:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I did a 3 day fast for the first time ever last year. I enjoyed it, though day 3 was rough. I've read that after day 3, it is very easy to go further. 3 days is about what I would do max for the time being. I did break this fast around 40 hours in.

The benefits are pretty well documented. For me, mostly longevity is the goal. The challenge is appealing as well. I've been doing intermittent fasting since I was a kid, as I never really ate breakfast.

Here's a good brief summary:

Here's a more in-depth discussion on the science:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the rogan clip but gonna watch those 2. Curious about it's effects.

Longevity regarding what? Living longer?

Going to sleepy sleep now...

Have a good night Skip and thank you.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Haven't watched yet skip.

With that said; had my fourth physical therapist date today.

She was impressed with my progress and gave me two more exercises to do to strengthen my Transverse Abdominis and gave the latter the highest priority to work on.

I've also made an appointment for coming monday for a massage of my left shoulder and a dry needling session to facilitate the stretches and mobility.

Took a two and a half hour walk afterwards. My legs are done for the day.

So far so good.

Btw, my biceps are still to sore to fully extend my arms lol.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Haven't watched yet skip.

With that said; had my fourth physical therapist date today.

She was impressed with my progress and gave me two more exercises to do to strengthen my Transverse Abdominis and gave the latter the highest priority to work on.

I've also made an appointment for coming monday for a massage of my left shoulder and a dry needling session to facilitate the stretches and mobility.

Took a two and a half hour walk afterwards. My legs are done for the day.

So far so good.

Btw, my biceps are still to sore to fully extend my arms lol.
No obligation to watch, just if you’re curious.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What can I say. I have an abstract mind. Looks like a homeless Zangief high on PCP

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage I'm back to semi normal walking. I tell you this because you care about me. Deep in your weathered rum filled liver.

😏🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Raven117

Tried yoga for the first time last night. It wasn't a wholly unpleasant experience and will likely give it another go at some point. Punch line, I need to get stretching.

Also, can someone explain to me the whole fasting thing? (like, the long fasts, not the short daily fasts). How can you possibly do that and not lose muscle?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Tried yoga for the first time last night. It wasn't a wholly unpleasant experience and will likely give it another go at some point. Punch line, I need to get stretching.

Also, can someone explain to me the whole fasting thing? (like, the long fasts, not the short daily fasts). How can you possibly do that and not lose muscle?
I love yoga. I feel so much looser throughout the day. I like that relief of tension and stress that comes with it. If I go too long without it, I can feel the tension build back up in my muscles and ligaments.

I don't know if it's possible to not lose muscle during a fast. I'm not a body builder type so I don't mind.

Raven117

I love yoga. I feel so much looser throughout the day. I like that relief of tension and stress that comes with it. If I go too long without it, I can feel the tension build back up in my muscles and ligaments.

I don't know if it's possible to not lose muscle during a fast. I'm not a body builder type so I don't mind.
Yeah… I may be giving yoga another go.

As for fasting…. I’m an extomorph, I need to preserve every ounce of muscle. I may do a day fast every once in awhile, but I don’t think overall it’s for me

jufonuk

not tag worthy
3 X 8 KB thrusters
3 X 8 KB hammer curls and holding at the top
3 X 8 wide grip push ups using kettle bell

3 Times farmers walk holding the two kettlebells

5 *10 KB swings using only one KB

Weights are 10KG each

Might do a run after might not.

I’m trying to do a little bit of exercise each day to build that habit. Been slacking.

Did run yesterday also and some KB exercises

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah… I may be giving yoga another go.

As for fasting…. I’m an extomorph, I need to preserve every ounce of muscle. I may do a day fast every once in awhile, but I don’t think overall it’s for me
I do intermittend fasting until 6pm twice a week when I‘m not training. Admittedly, I also only eat around 1000 cals on those days because even though I fast the whole day I can’t eat more than that for dinner.

Anyway, I loose a kilo of bodyweight straight every time I do this. Some of it has to be muscle for sure. I don‘t mind. The science is pretty clear about the health benefits here.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I do intermittend fasting until 6pm twice a week when I‘m not training. Admittedly, I also only eat around 1000 cals on those days because even though I fast the whole day I can’t eat more than that for dinner.

Anyway, I loose a kilo of bodyweight straight every time I do this. Some of it has to be muscle for sure. I don‘t mind. The science is pretty clear about the health benefits here.
Complete noob to IF but can you give me some bullet points?

Raven117

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

But yeah, not for me. I have to work too hard to gain muscle. (But an IF for a day…. No problem there). I’m talking like the three day fasts. That’s insane to me

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Speaking of fasting… Any one else here does this regularly? Cause I‘d be really curious to know if the fasting completely offsets weight gain for anyone else.

Next week I‘m going to hit 5100 calories on my non-fasting days and this will be the absolute peak for me. I just can‘t see food any more. Thing is, thanks to my fasting routine I didn‘t even gain a pound, even though I went from 3900 calories a day to the 5100 calories next week. It‘s straight out comical:

07.05.2022: 93,3 kg
06.08.2022: 92,9 kg

Granted, I did somehwat up my training volume by adding easy cardio to my weekend workouts and training with a hoody while is super hot outside, but still…. I don‘t understand how I could not have gained weight in three months with increasing my calories by 100 every week. I think that something is wrong with me.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Speaking of fasting… Any one else here does this regularly? Cause I‘d be really curious to know if the fasting completely offsets weight gain for anyone else.

Next week I‘m going to hit 5100 calories on my non-fasting days and this will be the absolute peak for me. I just can‘t see food any more. Thing is, thanks to my fasting routine I didn‘t even gain a pound, even though I went from 3900 calories a day to the 5100 calories next week. It‘s straight out comical:

07.05.2022: 93,3 kg
06.08.2022: 92,9 kg

Granted, I did somehwat up my training volume by adding easy cardio to my weekend workouts and training with a hoody while is super hot outside, but still…. I don‘t understand how I could not have gained weight in three months with increasing my calories by 100 every week. I think that something is wrong with me.
Your activity is still outpacing the input I would venture to guess. Do you track calories burned too?

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Your activity is still outselling the input I would venture to guess. Do you track calories burned too?
No, I find that very hard to do with gym training.

It‘s really weird… For 3 months it’s been going on something like this….

- I get on the scale on Saturday, it’s somewhere around 93 kg
- After full weekend of eating carbs I‘m on around 95 kg on Monday.
- Intermitted fasting on Monday, down to 94 kg on Tuesday.
- Tuesday/Wednesday ketogenic diet with full calories (meaning 5000 atm), hold weight and am still on 94 kg on Thursday.
- Intermitted fasting on Thursday, down to 92,5 kg on Friday.
- After loading carbs on Friday I‘m back at 93 kg on Saturday.

Rinse and repeat.

Like I said, when I started doing this (admittedly weird) type of eating I was at around 3900 calories on my eating days and 3 months later I‘m still in the same loop.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
No, I find that very hard to do with gym training.

It‘s really weird… For 3 months it’s been going on something like this….

- I get on the scale on Saturday, it’s somewhere around 93 kg
- After full weekend of eating carbs I‘m on around 95 kg on Monday.
- Intermitted fasting on Monday, down to 94 kg on Tuesday.
- Tuesday/Wednesday ketogenic diet with full calories (meaning 5000 atm), hold weight and am still on 94 kg on Thursday.
- Intermitted fasting on Thursday, down to 92,5 kg on Friday.
- After loading carbs on Friday I‘m back at 93 kg on Saturday.

Rinse and repeat.

Like I said, when I started doing this (admittedly weird) type of eating I was at around 3900 calories on my eating days and 3 months later I‘m still in the same loop.
They're not 100% accurate, but those activity tracker watches & chest-strap HR monitors might give some insight on the calories in part. But, as long as you don't mind it, then there's probably no real downside to the weight loss. I assume it's mostly fat for you so if you're happy, keep at it man.

I need to get better about my eating. I still eat more than than I burn so I'm trying to find the right balance. I tend to put on a few pounds one month, then take them off the next. I am mostly just reacting to my average weight across a few week/month timeframe. I should just track my calories in again, that takes all the guesswork out of it.

Top Bottom