• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five 'Witches' Burned Alive in Rwanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
God, that video is sick. Those poor people. I couldn't watch it all. :(

I...I'm sick of humanity, we haven't evolved we're just animals that understand the things we do and still do them anyway which makes us worse than anything else.

Teknoman said:
Isn't stormfront some crazy racist website?
I believe so. I certainly don't want to see their thoughts on this. The color of the people's skin is irrelevant . . . it is the ideas & actions that are wrong. Just like the ideas & actions of those racist stormfront people. It is not like video of the white people that dragged James Byrd to his death in Texas would prove white people are barbarians.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't watch the video, and have no plan to... but damn, just when you think you've seen a glimmer of hope for Africa (i.e. Botswana), stuff like this happens. Absolutely terrible.

FiRez

maybe 4chan's /b/ made me very insensible but the video was no more rough that the buddhist monk self-inmolation scene specially considering that those women were so drugged that they simply couldn't scream, still fucking disgusting that this happens in our times.

Teknoman

speculawyer said:
I believe so. I certainly don't want to see their thoughts on this. The color of the people's skin is irrelevant . . . it is the ideas & actions that are wrong. Just like the ideas & actions of those racist stormfront people. It is not like video of the white people that dragged James Byrd to his death in Texas would prove white people are barbarians.

Maybe i'm thinking about this in the wrong way, but how could someone who allows stuff like this to go on/ condones it, not be forced out of power?

Monocle

Such nauseating cruelty. Horrors like this simply don't occur in a society of secular enlightenment and free inquiry. To watch this video is to be confronted with the sinister attitudes that led to the Inquisition. Viewers take note: this is where superstition leads. A society that permits or promotes ignorance will inevitably descend the moral ladder. The true liberation of any oppressed society proceeds from the liberation of its citizens' minds from the shackles of ignorance.

Dead Man

FiRez said:
maybe 4chan's /b/ made me very insensible but the video was no more rough that the budhist monk self-inmolation scene specially considering that those women were so drugged so they couldn't scream, still fucking disgusting that this happens in this time
self immolation 'scene'. Do you mean the monks who burned themselves to death to protest? If so this is much worse. This was not voluntary. This was not for some larger purpose. This was not a 'scene'. This was a fucking brutal murder of 5 people for a false belief.

FiRez

idahoblue said:
self immolation 'scene'. Do you mean the monks who burned themselves to death to protest? If so this is much worse. This was not voluntary. This was not for some larger purpose. This was not a 'scene'. This was a fucking brutal murder of 5 people for a false belief.

yes I agree 100%, sorry for not being more clear (english isn't my 1st language) but I was only talking about the "shocking" factor of the "video" itself, for example the rumanian killers video left me shocked for a while, this one honestly didn't make me close my eyes.

The act obviously is totally sickening and reprehensible.

JimmyV

Banned
oh my goodness. Words really cant describe how sick this is. Really, though, its like their behind us by several hundred years, how the fuck does half the world grow, and the other parts left still doing this shit??

Dead Man

FiRez said:
yes I agree 100%, sorry for not being more clear (english isn't my 1st language) but I was only talking about the "shocking" factor of the "video" itself, for example the rumanian killers video left me shocked for a while.

The act obviously is totally barbarian and reprehensible.
Yeah, didn't mean to get preachy. This is just some truly heinous shit.

bionic77

Ninja99 said:
Such nauseating cruelty. Horrors like this simply don't occur in a society of secular enlightenment and free inquiry. The true liberation of any oppressed society proceeds from the liberation of its citizens' minds from the shackles of ignorance.
It obviously isn't on the same level of this but how do you explain Gitmo, the torture of prisoners who were never proven guilty of anything, and the Iraq war? All were things our society which I think fits your description.

bionic77 said:
It obviously isn't on the same level of this but how do you explain Gitmo, the torture of prisoners who were never proven guilty of anything, and the Iraq war? All were things our society which I think fits your description.
Good point. All of our societies are a work in progress. And I think we progressed past that state in late January of this year. I hope and will work to prevent any back-sliding.

ice cream

Banned
jimmbow said:
oh my goodness. Words really cant describe how sick this is. Really, though, its like their behind us by several hundred years, how the fuck does half the world grow, and the other parts left still doing this shit??
Colonization and imperialism.

bionic77 said:
Yeah. It's a horrible thought, but I think some people (wherever they may live) are just capable of torturing people, you just have to push the right buttons. Luckily the societal structures keep most of them from acting according to it. Off course it's not only the structure holding the animal in place, but also the animal itself learning/evolving into its society. But still, I wouldn't say "things like these aren't imaginable here".

For example: what if these people had guns? Perhaps they would've killed the "witches" with those, instead of burning them. Maybe they'd shoot in the legs first to torture, only to shoot them in the head to finish it off. If that were the case, the scenario becomes much more likely to happen where we live, and it doesn't put our "society" in a much better light than the African one. This example is a big "perhaps" off course and I admit a bit flawed. I'm not saying it's true. I'm just putting it out here.

Shawn

Banned
ice cream said:
Colonization and imperialism.
What kind of stupid shit answer is that? Did you learn that in college, or something? :lol

These people are doing what they're doing because they're savages, plain and simple.

i'm both glad i watched that video and sad that i watched it at the same time

this is probably the saddest gaf has ever made me

bionic77

Shawn said:
These people are doing what they're doing because they're savages, plain and simple.
I think they are just stupid.

Just like most Americans were stupid enough to buy into a made up lie and invade and conquer another country over it. People in this country were scared enough that if Bush told us we had to burn someone alive to "save American lives", most people either would have agreed or stayed silent.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I finally gathered courage to view the full video. Man... man. Wow. Simply unbelievable. How can this stuff still be happening. Jesus, wow. =(

bionic77 said:
People in this country were scared enough that if Bush told us we had to burn someone alive to "save American lives", most people either would have agreed or stayed silent.
I don't know if it would be 'most' (at least I would hope not), but it would certainly be a shockingly disturbingly high number. It is sad enough to see all these pundits on TV & AM radio that continue to defend torture.

...disgusting behaviour...its terrible when its the act of a violent individual...it is far more disgusting when it is condoned by a community...and the man was treating them like refuse... ridiculous... to think people have behaved like this throughout history

Gio_CoD

Banned
I love how any thread, any one at all, can be turned into a Bush-bashing fest. The wandering logic is truly amazing.

Graphic video of Africans burning each other is posted.

Poster 1: Holy shit! Don't watch that! It's frightening and depressing!
Poster 2: Wow... that is some horrible stuff... It wouldn't have happened without religion!
Poster 1: Yeah! Religion sucks!
Poster 2: You know who likes religion?
Poster 1: Bush!
Poster 2: This was practically his fault!
Poster 1: He is religious... and corrupt!
Poster 2: I bet the Africans with the torches are really CIA spooks, and this is a video of them torturing people at random to try to find WMDs that don't exist!

At any rate... how do you know they weren't witches?

Haleon said:
I love how any thread, any one at all, can be turned into a Bush-bashing fest. The wandering logic is truly amazing.

Poster 2: Wow... that is some horrible stuff... It wouldn't have happened without religion!
Poster 2: I bet the Africans with the torches are really CIA spooks, and this is a video of them torturing people at random to try to find WMDs that don't exist!

Well, when the subjects of 'torture' and 'modern society' come to attention...

Haleon said:
I actually think of Islam when I think of torture and graphic brutality.
"I love how any thread, any one at all, can be turned into a Islam-bashing fest. The wandering logic is truly amazing."

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FunkyMunkey said:
You don't believe the pros outweigh the cons?

More education = Less of this shit.

So what are you going to do? Kill everyone in the country who believes in this stuff?

This is their culture. They might look at us and think we are stupid because we have pets or because we put people in jail. It is hard to run roughshot over another culture because you don't agree with it. Not sure we have the right to do that.

I am not defending this shit at all, I think it is cruel and sick. But at the same time, let's not forget we were doing the same shit here not too long ago.

Haleon said:

When you need to lie to try to make a point, you have lost. Sorry.

bionic77

Haleon said:

No I was more human bashing (by bashing America) than Bush bashing. Bush was elected by America twice so in my opinion if you have a problem with him than blame your neighbors who voted for him.

My point was that some posters were acting like this kind of illogical and disgusting behavior was not possible in a more enlightened secular society (like our own) and I just wanted to give some examples that even when we are afraid we can allow for some horrible things (torture, illegal war, etc.). So the difference between them and us is probably not as great as we think it is.

Shawn

Banned
bionic77 said:
I think they are just stupid.

Just like most Americans were stupid enough to buy into a made up lie and invade and conquer another country over it.
What is this "made up lie"? We invaded Iraq to get Saddam out of power. We gave Saddam more than one chance to let the weapons inspectors in the country, but he wouldn't let them in. We warned Saddam that if he didn't let the weapons inspectors in, that we would take him out. He wouldn't let them in, so we took him out.

And what's this shit about conquering Iraq? Conquer??? :lol Oh boy, I've heard it all.

People in this country were scared enough that if Bush told us we had to burn someone alive to "save American lives", most people either would have agreed or stayed silent.
There are no words for this comment... no words at all.

Shawn said:
What is this "made up lie"? We invaded Iraq to get Saddam out of power. We gave Saddam more than one chance to let the weapons inspectors in the country, but he wouldn't let them in. We warned Saddam that if he didn't let the weapons inspectors in, that we would take him out. He wouldn't let them in, so we took him out.

Wow. What planet do you live on? Stop listening to AM radio and read a decent newspaper. You have got the facts completely wrong.

bionic77

I can have a reasonable debate with anyone, but don't fucking bring in lies about something that just happened less than 6 years ago.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
holy fuck. i couldnt make it through that video.. i almost completely broke down when that one person was just sitting there.. head bent down.. fully aflame, and clearly still alive.

holy shit. i .. i .. just dont get this. how can anyone do that to another human being.

:.(

BitchTits

That video has made my heart pulse, it was truly shocking.

Kind of like going back in time to some witch trials from the Middle Ages.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
speculawyer said:
Wow. What planet do you live on? Stop listening to AM radio and read a decent newspaper. You have got the facts completely wrong.

I was about to say something along the lines of "Jigga what?" But I think this gets the point across better.

Just wiki Iraq WMD's or something and enlighten yourself.

P.S. I don't think the mention of Bush meant anything to anyone other than you, the person who mentioned Bush/the US seems to simply try to be humbling ourselves, pointing out that human nature is volatile and violent and we need to stay vigilant.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
dskillzhtown said:
This is their culture. They might look at us and think we are stupid because we have pets or because we put people in jail. It is hard to run roughshot over another culture because you don't agree with it. Not sure we have the right to do that.
Was wondering when this argument would rear its head. Moral relativism has a time and place, and that time and place is generally not when people are being burned alive in the name of superstition.

Boozeroony

quadriplegicjon said:
holy fuck. i couldnt make it through that video.. i almost completely broke down when that one person was just sitting there.. head bent down.. fully aflame, and clearly still alive.

holy shit. i .. i .. just dont get this. how can anyone do that to another human being.

:.(

The answer is just as obvious as it is sad. Many people still do horrible things to other, based on their strong belief in some kind of supernatural being, fed by verses in their religious books.

It would surprise me if these crazy people are somehow not influenced by a (local) religion which condemns non-believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom