• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flickering white line on PS4 menu. Anyone else?

Happens to me too, regardless of the application running at the time.

It seems to appear when I quit the system menu via home button. Doesn't happen when I close the menu by pressing the circle button. I've been trying to reproduce this bug(?) but I just can find the cause for this. Strange indeed. :/

Edit: Last time this bug appeared was during the World of Final Fantasy Demo.

I've noticed this shortly after the 4.00 update. I'm not sure if that's what actually solved it, but i've tried rebuilding the database at the time and haven't seen it since.

Jesus Christ and I thought my new TV was going bonkers!

Rebooted the PS4 and it stopped doing that!

Yeah, you are not alone!

I've been getting this and put it down to a faulty cable, but mine are all channeled in behind a fireplace so going to take some work to replace and check.

I replaced my cable and it still happened. Hasn't occurred in a few days though. Really wish i knew what it was. Thought my plasma was dying and got scared

Arkeband

Banned
That happened to me too, I think it's a glitch and it's actually an underscore character. Not sure what triggers it.

I *think* I was playing the DQ Builders demo, not positive though.

That happened to me too, I think it's a glitch and it's actually an underscore character. Not sure what triggers it.

I *think* I was playing the DQ Builders demo, not positive though.
Well I do really notice it if I check my messages while in game.

But it's not a consistent thing.

vin-buc

Thank you for starting this thread OP. I thought I was having a display pixel issue on my kinda new Dell 27" curved panel.

I see it in on the dashboard and when I play destiny. That cmd line blink.

soulluos

It looks like this flashing. Most likely a bug.

images

Intel_89

That happens to me when I still have Twitch open while having a game running in the background, as soon as I close Twitch it stops doing that. I was really worried when that first happened.

Thanks for making this thread. I'm seeing this also and I'd never seen it before until the launch of PSVR. Maybe it has something to do with the breakout box. I haven't read the whole thread so that probably isn't the case. Goes away after a restart for me.

It is definitely a recent thing for me, seen it about 5 times in the last week and never before that.

Thanks for making this thread. I'm seeing this also and I'd never seen it before until the launch of PSVR. Maybe it has something to do with the breakout box. I haven't read the whole thread so that probably isn't the case. Goes away after a restart for me.

It is definitely a recent thing for me, seen it about 5 times in the last week and never before that.
I have no VR. It's not the breakout box. I'm getting it. It is definitely something to do with the 4.00 firmware update.

This occasionally pops up for me too. I thought I had a few pixels dying on my TV, so I'm glad that I'm not alone here. I haven't seen it recently though.

I have this problem as well. From what I can gather it is caused by a combination of theme and having an application suspended. With certain themes I can cause it to happen every time I suspend an application to play a game. With my current theme it never happens.

TRI Mike

It happened to me a couple of times with Atelier Sophie. Another friend has it more frequently with Destiny. We're scared that it might be hardware issue but it also seems to be tied to specific games.

We've been investigating for a while but still have no idea what's the cause and how to fix it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Also have this issue. Usually have two of them though. Happens after sleep mode and I play PES. Mine are static though usually. Exit to XMB or swap game and it goes back to normal.

Tik-Tok

Got this last night on the VR headset while playing PlayRoom VR. At first I was thinking it might be a scratch on the lens then, I backed out of the specific playroom game I was in to the playroom menu and it was gone.

Daffy Duck

I've seen that too on mine, do you have a game in suspend/exited out of the menu?

This happened to me a little while ago when I was playing Black Ops 3 and I went back to the main home screen once, I closed BO3 and it went away immediately.

Oh man I thought this issue was my tv or PS4 failing. I started noticing this too a couple weeks ago. At first it was just a static white line a couple pixels long. Thought it was the tv but noticed when I quit out of Netflix it went away. Now it's random flickers of white on different areas of the screen more prevalent when I'm on the main menu.

blazeuk

Happens quite a lot for me, going to the dashboard and back in game usually fixes it temporarily but its obviously a software issue rather than hardware.

Everyone who has this issue, are you using a theme besides a stock system theme? Try using flow or something else. It really does seem to me to be something to do with certain themes and suspended applications.

Everyone who has this issue, are you using a theme besides a stock system theme? Try using flow or something else. It really does seem to me to be something to do with themes and suspended applications.

I've used about 2-3 different themes since I noticed the issue, I haven't switched back to the stock theme. Will try that when I get home from work.

Oh man I thought this issue was my tv or PS4 failing. I started noticing this too a couple weeks ago. At first it was just a static white line a couple pixels long. Thought it was the tv but noticed when I quit out of Netflix it went away. Now it's random flickers of white on different areas of the screen more prevalent when I'm on the main menu.

Different areas?

I believe the common theme here is that it's always in the same spot.
Does anyone else have this mysterious underscore icon flashing on different places?

Everyone who has this issue, are you using a theme besides a stock system theme? Try using flow or something else. It really does seem to me to be something to do with certain themes and suspended applications.
I was using the new particle theme then I switched to the stock theme when I recorded the video in the OP, didn't change anything. I'll see about trying a static theme later

TRI Mike

Different areas?

I believe the common theme here is that it's always in the same spot.
Does anyone else have this mysterious underscore icon flashing on different places?

I appeared on the lower right side of the screen the first time for me, the second time was the lower left. I'm not using my PS4 right now so I can't say if it's completely fixed or not.

I was using the new particle theme then I switched to the stock theme when I recorded the video in the OP, didn't change anything. I'll see about trying a static theme later
If I use the transistor and don't starve themes all is fine. However using most other dynamic themes I will see this issue. Usually if I have suspended an application.

Someone responded to OP's video:

"It's because you have a game running. Turn the game off and the glitch goes away. It's because the menu and the game are running at different resolutions."

Someone responded to OP's video:

"It's because you have a game running. Turn the game off and the glitch goes away. It's because the menu and the game are running at different resolutions."
But how can he play the game without the problem happening if the solution is to turn off the game?

I have it as well. At first I thought it was my TV and freaked out about it but upon further inspection I realized it wasn't. Glad to see I am not the only one.

Kouriozan

I got something like this but on Star Ocean 5's post game dungeon and it wasn't flickering.
It disappear after a while or when I turn off my PS4 so it's definitely PS4's fault.

TRI Mike

Pretty sure it is software related introduced in 4.0 firmware. Related to firmware introducing bugs, since 4.0 my what's new section hasn't updated since the 10th.

It's actually been happening to my friend and me since before 4.0. We even saw a thread on Reddit about it before the patch as well.

CrocoDuck

Have the same problem as well. It started appearing after the folder update. At first I thought it was a problem with my tv, but now I see this is a little more widespread.

Top Bottom