• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Clockwork5

I think it was a bit premature but it was still a justified stopping. With that being said, there was 1:30 left in the round, and the sight of Mayweather standing over McGregor would have hurt his brand by quite a bit.

Dana knows, and was "happy with the stoppage".

I wish it would have gone longer for the spectacle, but if it happened and Conor assuredly gets knocked out and brain-damaged, there would be a level of culpability by the ref and commision knowing McGregor isn't a skilled enough boxer to protect himself during moments of adversity like that.

This is a valid point. McGregor had no clue how to defend himself in that last round.

It was going to get real ugly, real fast. The ref knew this and protected McGregor since McGregor was incapable of protecting himself.

Jezbollah

Well, if Conor does fight in UFC again, at least his stand-up should be excellent now.

As if it wasn't already before (by MMA standards)?

I don't see him going anywhere but the UFC IMO. The Nate Diaz fight for the 155lb title makes too much sense.

Gattsu25

Banned
If you get knocked down you get 10 seconds.
If you get gassed out it's Tko?

I don't understand boxing.
If you get hit repeatedly without even making a single effort to defend yourself or counterattack the refs will call it.

It's to prevent against people getting permanently fucked up after a fight.

Fight went exactly the way I expected. Conor was physical and looked better than most thought, and Floyd let him tire himself out before stepping forward and outclassing him in pure boxing. Good show from both.

He got paid about 10mil total for UFC. He got paid 100mil for this.

He ain't going back to UFC me thinks.

Well Conor made way more than $10 million from UFC, PPV points included. This was definitely his biggest pay day though, probably around double what he's made from UFC.

Only way I see him fighting again is in a stadium in Ireland, or against Khabib in Russia. He'll need a huge purse and PPV points though.

Oscar

I wanted Conor to win because I'm an MMA fan, but I can't complain about that stoppage.

Dude was done, he faded the same way against Diaz.

Fight went exactly the way I expected. Conor was physical and looked better than most thought, and Floyd let him tire himself out before stepping forward and outclassing him in pure boxing. Good show from both.

Well Conor made way more than $10 million from UFC, PPV points included. This was definitely his biggest pay day though, probably around double what he's made from UFC.

Only way I see him fighting again is in a stadium in Ireland, or against Khabib in Russia. He'll need a huge purse and PPV points though.

Double? Only if you multiply that 2 by 10.

The payday for this was so large i'd be surprised if Conor ever went back to UFC. If he does his price has just gone WAY up.

ApharmdX

Banned
One thing it did show is the difference in punching power from MMA to boxing.

Conor is known as a devastating puncher in MMA, but by boxing standards his power is average or maybe lesser than that. Floyd had little to no respect it.

Yup. Some of us have been trying to point this out for years. Boxers are simply better at punching and taking punches! Mayweather took Conor's best shot, that counter uppercut, and wasn't wobbled.

No disrespect to Conor (I think posters are underselling him, fighting Mayweather in your first pro fight is nuts) but boxing is a much bigger pool of talent compared to MMA.

cordy

Banned
There's just something special about a major boxing event that brings us back to previous decades. Everybody's talking about it. It reminds me of getting a haircut in the hood as a kid after the first Tyson/Holyfield fight. I didn't watch boxing much but I remember them talking about it.

Double? Only if you multiply that 2 by 10.

The payday for this was so large i'd be surprised if Conor ever went back to UFC. If he does his price has just gone WAY up.
You are talking about the purse, which at $30 million is indeed about 10 times as high.

I'm comparing what he's expected to make from this fight with PPV points factored in, which is 100 million versus what he's made from the UFC, which is probably around 40-50 million. He reportedly made around 15 million from the Diaz rematch.

Matthew23

The sprinter couldn't defeat the distance runner in the distance race, expected.

Those commenting negatively on Conner's trash talking and predictions don't seem to understand that his mouth has quite literally put millions of extra dollars in his pockets over the last few years. He is playing the roll of a salesman and he does it very well. It's just business.

abuC

If you get knocked down you get 10 seconds.
If you get gassed out it's Tko?

I don't understand boxing.

It's to stop things like this from happening

giphy.gif

Other boxers have died in the ring when the ref doesn't step in. A boxer that is defenseless but doesn't go down is a very dangerous situation.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
People who are like, "Went exactly as I expected..."

I just gotta ask, you guys honestly expected McGregor to last ten rounds?

He completely and utterly surprised me with his performance, and whereas I was lukewarm on him prior to the fight I'm now an even bigger fan of his and am more excited for his next fight, boxing or MMA. That's exactly the outcome I bet he and Dana and the UFC wanted. Well, they succeeded in that regard, and Mayweather succeeded in delivering an exciting performance and finish for that nice, clean 50-0, and that fucking payout. Goddamn.

All in all, as good as it could have gone barring a surprise KO by McGregor on Mayweather.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

He completely and utterly surprised me with his performance, and whereas I was lukewarm on him prior to the fight I'm now an even bigger fan of his and am more excited for his next fight, boxing or MMA. That's exactly the outcome I bet he and Dana and the UFC wanted. Well, they succeeded in that regard, and Mayweather succeeded in delivering an exciting performance and finish for that nice, clean 50-0, and that fucking payout. Goddamn.

All in all, as good as it could have gone barring a surprise KO by McGregor on Mayweather.

I thought he showed off his reflexes quite well ducking and dodging Mayweather's early shots.

That's indisputable. He's fast.

He got tired and sluggish. Also indisputable.

I don't think he was saving face when he said "[Mayweather] wasn't as fast as they said" in the post fight interview.

For average viewers, yeah. Mayweather is lightning fast, but not for McGregor.

I think he definitely should use this as a learning experience and give boxing all his attention from now on, cause he definitely has what it takes for a future in the sport.

I thought he showed off his reflexes quite well ducking and dodging Mayweather's early shots.

That's indisputable. He's fast.

He got tired and sluggish. Also indisputable.

I don't think he was saving face when he said "[Mayweather] wasn't as fast as they said" in the post fight interview.

For average viewers, yeah. Mayweather is lightning fast, but not for McGregor.

I think he definitely should use this as a learning experience and give boxing all his attention from now on, cause he definitely has what it takes for a future in the sport.

He doesn't have the power. A smaller, older guy in Floyd shrugged off his punches.

He doesn't have the power. A smaller, older guy in Floyd shrugged off his punches.
It's not that he doesn't have the power it's that Mayweather has no openings. You could see McGregor got frustrated like everyone before him has

What you're suggesting is like saying Pacquiao doesn't have the power for a boxing career. If we judged everyone off how they faired against Floyd it would be a very quiet sport. Let alone a guy who had three months prep in a new sport

abuC

It's not that he doesn't have the power it's that Mayweather has no openings. You could see McGregor got frustrated like everyone before him has

He doesn't have the power a big puncher in boxing has, look at how Floyd fought Maidana and Canelo for example, very cautious and aware of their one shot power.

Really enjoyed the fight. Watched it on a big ass screen at a bar. We were talking about our predictions before the fight and I pretty much called it exactly how it went down. So yeah, the fight went as expected. I will say that Conor did do a little better then I thought he would have. I thought I was giving him too much credit.

I was hoping for an upset just to watch the meltdowns but I knew it wasnt happening. At least Conor gave fans hope for the first few rounds. Mayweather is just too fucking good.

I cant believe that fight actually happened lol. Good times for sure. Respect to both of them. Fuckin Floyd turnt that shit up in the end lol. That was amazing to see.

Derwind

Its not about expectation more so than how the fight translated, Mayweather wasn't fighting like he has in the past and every indication looked like he wasn't in any serious danger the whole fight, even refusing water in the corner between rounds.

There was no indication that Mayweather was even trying to go for the early knockout.

Not a knock against McGregor(as stated multiple times already) but Mayweather looked like he could easily go another dozen rounds no problem.

Mayweather is a marathon fighter in a marathoners race, McGregor is a sprinter that people paid good money to see fight. I don't see how the fight was going to translate any other way.

It was a plan, executed to perfection on Mayweathers end.

And for the last time, yes McGregor would beat Mayweather in the octogan fast because that is how the game is designed. Two different skill sets required.

Conor could've taken a knee to get that 10 second breather, but that's on Conor. It's actually something experienced boxers do when they know they are hurt and need those seconds to recompose.

But in this case that wouldn't have done much for Conor, he was just too exhausted to even lift his arms to guard himself.
The defence showed the difference in boxing experience IMO. Boxing rules give a fair bit of opportunity to recover and rest compared to UFC but he never really took a defensive stance

I bet Mayweather TKO in 9.

So close.

I knew he was going to let Connor gas out, he should have just gone in on him one round earlier.

Still fun to see Schaub bend the narrative.

To be fair, Mayweather could have won nearly anytime he wanted to outside of R3.

He doesn't have the power a big puncher in boxing has, look at how Floyd fought Maidana and Canelo for example, very cautious and aware of their one shot power.
I'd say that's more due to conditioning. They can sustain that through 12 rounds, McGregor maybe 6. There is a reason Mayweather was cautious for the first part of the fight, because he knew that was the part of the fight McGregor was still a danger. Then he went aggressive when the exhaustion crept in

Could McGregor be a 12 round fighter? I think it would take a year or two to build up to be that competitive. But I think he could definitely get some wins in boxing if he did some legit ladder climbing in the sport and I think he would definitely surprise some people on the way when he is not fighting a 50-0 fighter

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I bet Mayweather TKO in 9.

So close.

I knew he was going to let Connor gas out, he should have just gone in on him one round earlier.

Shill fun to see Schaub bend the narrative.

Too be fair, Mayweather could have won nearly anytime he wanted to outside of R3.
Mayweather also wanted to bet on himself winning in 9.5 rounds. His round 9 looked like he was still in that mindset

Post game reaction - I should have betted on Mayweather too lul

Real talk though (and likely mentioned ad nauseum) but this is literally the Homer Simpson strategy. "Let the opponent get tired from over punching." Mayweather treated Conor like a hobo with gloves.

But this leads to an interesting set up - if Mayweather allows a rematch, it obviously won't make as much money this time around, but it'll still make some money if hyped up enough and Conor learns a flicker jab.

Everyone didn't think Ronda had near elite striking ability. There's videos of her sparring years before she lost to Holly where she looked like a goof, and plenty of professional woman boxers said her boxing is beginner status. Only the MMA analysts and MMA fans thought she had great striking ability. Most boxing fans correctly thought she had world class judo skills but would get slept by women boxers.
There isn't much talk of this. When Ronda was winning it was "SHE'S UNBEATABLE! THE GOAT!!!!!" It wasn't until she lost that people started talking more about her weaknesses and talked about it a lot.

Is that why plenty of UFC fighters predicted he would win? And if you watch most MMA analysts, you can tell by their body language they thought Conor had a high chance to win it by sleeping Floyd in the first few rounds with his "amazing" power. They just didn't want to get made fun of against it like they did when they said Ronda could box. Chins in boxing and in UFC are completely different beasts. Floyd got hit with an uppercut that would have sent every 145 UFC fighter and half of the 155ers to the shadow realm and he sensiblechuckle.jpg it and kept stepping forward. I had been saying since the fight was announced that even if Conor's power translated into the squared circle, it's nothing that Floyd hasn't felt before. Moseley, Judah, Corley, Pac, Maidana, Cotto all hit harder then Conor. Kind of makes me think that espn sports science crap is fake news.
You're shocked folks were hyping this match? That UFC people would cape their guy? These matches are only as big because of the fighters and the hype pushed throughout the sports scene.

Analysts mean nothing. They exist to hype shit. Go to the betting scene where you get real talk cause money is actually on the line, and the one who was heavily favored? Floyd. Why? Because Conor never really stood a chance and almost everyone knew that but it was nice to think you could get 13/2 when Conor KOs Floyd.

Like, I'm sure if you asked these analysts who they put thousands on for winning the game (of their own money) they would side with Floyd.

abuC

I'd say that's more due to conditioning. They can sustain that through 12 rounds, McGregor maybe 6. There is a reason Mayweather was cautious for the first part of the fight, because he knew that was the part of the fight McGregor was still a danger. Then he went aggressive when the exhaustion crept in

Could McGregor be a 12 round fighter? I think it would take a year or two to build up to be that competitive. But I think he could definitely get some wins in boxing if he did some legit ladder climbing in the sport and I think he would definitely surprise some people on the way when he is not fighting a 50-0 fighter

You're going to discount what Floyd said when he said Conor didn't hit that hard and just had solid power? Even Paulie said he had good power but not "OMG" power. They have fought big punchers, Conors power has been overstated because he's clearly a better boxer than his UFC counterparts who just rush at him with their chins in the air like Aldo did.

Mayweather was there to be hit in the first 3 rounds, Conor landed and it didn't back Floyd up. If you want to see guys with big power watch the GGG/Canelo fight, or some of Errol Spence, guys get on their bike and back up after Spence hits them.

abuC

Conor laid out a great path for Cody Garbrandt to take, get your name big in UFC, then cash out against a big name boxer. If Cody can remain champion for a few years, he could line up a fight with Terence Crawford in the future.

CrocoDuck

There's just something special about a major boxing event that brings us back to previous decades. Everybody's talking about it. It reminds me of getting a haircut in the hood as a kid after the first Tyson/Holyfield fight. I didn't watch boxing much but I remember them talking about it.

Man I remember that too as a kid. There were posters everywhere in the mta bus stops iirc. My brother and me went to a local sporting goods store to buy boxing gloves cause we were hyped and the cashier chatted us up on who we were rooting for. I went for Tyson cause he was the bigger star/more popular, and I remember the cashier went for Holyfield.

Turin

Banned

Floyd being cautious wouldn't be walking right at Conor with his hands up and bending forward. Conor landed the left uppercut and it didn't phase Floyd. That's not to say Conor isn't heavy handed but he doesn't know how to maximize the effect of his punches with technique.

Conor would need at least 5 years to get on the level of some decent boxers but he'd never do well against someone like Canelo. Not enough time in his youth.

McGregor really needs to learn to conceal his fatigue better. Once he starts gassing, it's plain as day. We've seen that in the UFC and now we've seen it in boxing.

He's also terrible at pacing himself. In the later rounds, he was gassed. He would recover a little bit in between rounds, but instead of taking the next round off or pacing himself, he would take the fight to McGregor in the first 30 seconds of the round, burn himself out punching Floyd's guard, and then get his ass whooped for the rest of the round.

He really should've had one or two experienced boxing trainers in his camp.

I think he and his team actually thought they were beating Mayweather at boxing early in the fight. big mistake.

In retrospect, Paulie was completely right: McGregor doesn't have a lot of power, his footwork is one-dimensional, he fades hard in later rounds, he throws a lot of illegal rabbit punches, and once you figure him out he has no plan B.

Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.
I gave Conor the first three rounds when I watched the fight for the first time, but looking back I can see how one or two of those rounds could've gone to Floyd due to how ineffective McGregor's striking and movement were... not to mention the plethora of illegal shots he was making.

Reminds me of what an NBA player might do while playing against an AAU or high school player. Not really looking to embarrass them so going about 30% effort, but will start actually "playing" (70%) when they've grown bored and want to make clear who is the NBA player.
/QUOTE]
This is a good analogy because the college player will score a few buckets, be able to dribble the ball, and maybe make one or two nice moves... but the outcome will never be in question. Some people will consider that a moral victory for the kid.

Top Bottom