• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Frijoles licuados are the best frijoles (beans):

frojfinallll.jpg

Yes. Those are godlike.

Re Taco Bell Taco bell is pretty awful, an I say this mostly because real Mexican food is easily one of the top two or three best cuisines on the planet. The only imitation Mexican food I can handle is Chipotle, because despite being completely different from actual Mexican food, it's still got fresh ingredients and tastes phenomenal for fast food. Of course there are morphologies of Mexican food that have evolved in America such as California burritos (huge burritos with avocado, potatos and steak) which are good as well, but I digress.

Taco Bell as Del Taco are both shit. The cheese on their nachos and burritos doesn't even taste like fake cheese it tastes like fake butter, and the "meat" is like a wet slop of marinated paper clippings.

Real Mexican food - 10/10
Taco Bell - 2/10

Subway is subpar in America and even worse in Japan. In Japan it's even more flavorless and keeps you full for all of 10 fucking minutes. At least you can get them to pile and pile the veggies in the US. In Japan they just tell you "I'm sorry, there's no excuse for this..." and proceed to ignore your requests.

Fuck me I miss In n Out, Chipotle and Submarina. And most of all Mexican food. :(

I disagree

I fucking love mexican food, but taco bell is good for a quick fix, the volcano sauce is amazing. Again I think English taco bell is actually better than the American version although it won't be around long.

Bar burrito and chipotle are also pretty awesome but I always go for a hot but smooth salsa and loads of sour cream. My favourite American chain of Mexicans that I tried is moes their hot salsa is heavenly.

I love making enchiladas at home as well.

I didn't enjoy Mexican food much in Mexico funnily enough just like I love Indian but didn't like it in India, funny how we prefer western versions or world cuisine.

Carbonox

I was gonna say that Jambalaya is one of my favourite Mexican dishes but then remembered that it's not of Mexican origin, I believe. Sure is sold in the Mexican section in supermarkets and in Mexican restaurants though. Haha.

^^Spanish and French influences. Made in Louisiana. Creole dish.

I disagree

I fucking love mexican food, but taco bell is good for a quick fix, the volcano sauce is amazing. Again I think English taco bell is actually better than the American version although it won't be around long.

Bar burrito and chipotle are also pretty awesome but I always go for a hot but smooth salsa and loads of sour cream. My favourite American chain of Mexicans that I tried is moes their hot salsa is heavenly.

I love making enchiladas at home as well.

I didn't enjoy Mexican food much in Mexico funnily enough just like I love Indian but didn't like it in India, funny how we prefer western versions or world cuisine.

eww @ Moes.

GQman2121

Banned
So what kind of compensation are Real going to be asking for Higuain? £20-25m?

edit: I just killed a mixed greens salad with steak covered in blue cheese dressing. Homemade and one of my favorites.

Hixx

Moes was awesome (the one I went to anyway)

I love how Sunderland has its own national dish do all the takeaways do it?

I could go for a kebab right now but making chicken wraps

It's actually 'from' Middlesbrough. Most takeaways in the north east do them tho.

I think they prefer pork Parmos in Boro but it's chicken up here.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If I had an italian footballer for every time I've said that, I could sell them all to Internazionale and have them rename the club to Nazionale.
8ZTxh.gif

No worries. You can lose it all and then become our coach and lead us to glory.

Common Conte :(

All this talk of Higuain leaving Madrid makes me wonder if Marotta has something planned. We've been linked with him for what feels like ages, and he's definitely the killer striker we need. Here's hoping! Sorry Madrid fans, but we'll treat him well if he comes here. You can see him on odd weeks.
Higuain is WC, I really love him. I dunno, why would he leave Madrid for any team anyway? But if he's looking for playing time I guess?

Coaching Juve? I promise I'm going to use all three subs early! :p
And strip Gio of his 10 shirt

Cagliari president Cellino

Great, more fuel to the fire. I hope we fucking crush them. CRUSH THEM!

GQman2121

Banned
Are Halal carts big in the UK? We have a few here in Baltimore and the food is excellent. They're always packed for lunch.

So I just put in my two week notice at a place I have been for 9 yrs.. gotta take a risk sometime right?

Yay! Both advancing our lives at the same time! Come to Chicago!

lmao at you lot and your fancy mexican food

I've just ordered a Parmo. A £6 heart attack.

I don't know what a Parmo is (sounds delicious) but I got a Great Potato Pizza waiting at home. For those who don't know (everyone, a local parlor), This is a pizza that substitutes mashed potatoes for pizza sauce. It is delicious and terrible for you.

Hixx

Are Halal carts big in the UK? We have a few here in Baltimore and the food is excellent. They're always packed for lunch.

I know what Halal means but what specifically is sold off these carts?

I don't know what a Parmo is (sounds delicious) but I got a Great Potato Pizza waiting at home. For those who don't know (everyone, a local parlor), This is a pizza that substitutes mashed potatoes for pizza sauce. It is delicious and terrible for you.

Chicken breast, fried in bread crumbs with bechamel sauce and cheeses on top. I've ordered Jalapenos and ground spicy beef on mine. hnnnngh

Kozak

Banned
Was not a fan of Mexican food until recently working at a Mexican takeway joint.

Quesadillas and Burritos!

burrito_chicken_fajita.jpg
quesadilla_chicken.jpg

Jizz! Great thing is that I can really vouch for this food having been one of the grill hands.

Good Mexican food is actually pretty hard to find. I've suffered through some pretty crappy Burritos...

Carbonox

Yay! Both advancing our lives at the same time! Come to Chicago!

Potato and pizza? *barfs*

Meier

. My favourite American chain of Mexicans that I tried is moes their hot salsa is heavenly.

Awesome is full of it, Moe's is SUPREME! :D I love Chipotle and Qdoba is good as well, but neither of them are anywhere near as good as Moe's IMO.. the seasoning on the meat is just fantastic. Sadly, Moe's has fallen on hard times in recent years and closed a lot of stores. None left in Austin but whenever I go home to my folks (Orlando), I make it a point to get Moe's at least once.

I usually get tacos rather than burritos these days as they're quite prevalent here in Texas. There is a local burrito joint here (Cabo Bob's) that is fucking amazing though.. maybe I'll go there for dinner tonight.

^^I like fresh baked corn tortillas. Just amazing

Awesome Animals, where are you from? (and why are you moving to Chicago :O)

I'm from Cleveland and am moving to Chicago because that is where my girlfriend is going to grad school.

Awesome is full of it, Moe's is SUPREME! :D I love Chipotle and Qdoba is good as well, but neither of them are anywhere near as good as Moe's IMO.. the seasoning on the meat is just fantastic. Sadly, Moe's has fallen on hard times in recent years and closed a lot of stores. None left in Austin but whenever I go home to my folks (Orlando), I make it a point to get Moe's at least once.

I usually get tacos rather than burritos these days as they're quite prevalent here in Texas. There is a local burrito joint here (Cabo Bob's) that is fucking amazing though.. maybe I'll go there for dinner tonight.

I'd say Moe's falling on hard times provides evidence that my opinion of Moe's is accurate.

dc89

lmao at you lot and your fancy mexican food

I've just ordered a Parmo. A £6 heart attack.

My friend who is a Toon fan lives in Redcar and he always goes on about these!

---

Now I am home I am looking in to City's Nike sponsorship.

Financial Times reports it's worth £26m a year
Telegraph reports it's worth £12m a year

Who to believe?

The only moes I been to was at universal city walk in Orlando

Also folks who's going away this year?

We're just going disneyland Paris for a few nights as we can't go too far with Arlo

City's deal with Nike is around the £12m a year mark apparently. Nothing spectacular then.

Edit - Ah, dc says it could be as much as £26m. I personally doubt it can be that high. Nike wouldn't pay more for City's shirts than they do Barcelona. It wouldn't make any business sense.

Gaitan's agent says his client would love to play for United. It's starting to look like his agent is desperately trying to get Gaitan a move. Do. Not. Want.

We're just going disneyland Paris for a few nights as we can't go too far with Arlo
Going to New York in the summer. CAN'T WAIT!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Avengers was really awesome. Iron Man stole the whole show :p

Christopher Nolan's Batman is still better IMO. Or in other words, I prefer the mature tone of Batman.

Meier

By the way, as far as burrito recommendations for London.. we went to a little place called Poncho 8 near Old Spitalfield's Market and it was pretty darn tasty. The shop itself is insanely tiny but there's room for a few seats. Mostly takeaway there though. My brother works at Allen & Overy nearby so we all decided to give it a shot and we were all pleasantly surprised.

We had Chipotle on a different day and the rice was a little off (a bit on the hard side) but overall it was pretty decent. You could tell it was mostly Americans there as about half the people were wearing sweatshirts and the like for different colleges, hah.

dc89

City's deal with Nike is around the £12m a year mark apparently. Nothing spectacular then.

Edit - Ah, dc says it could be as much as £26m. I personally doubt it can be that high. Nike wouldn't pay more for City's shirts than they do Barcelona. It wouldn't make any business sense.

Gaitan's agent says his client would love to play for United. It's starting to look like his agent is desperately trying to get Gaitan a move. Do. Not. Want.

Financial Times reports it.

Liverpool's new one is worth £25m. Seriously, WTF.

Meier

My friend who is a Toon fan lives in Redcar and he always goes on about these!

---

Now I am home I am looking in to City's Nike sponsorship.

Financial Times reports it's worth £26m a year
Telegraph reports it's worth £12m a year

Who to believe?

I was reading that piece linked to earlier by the Swedish Chef or whatever his name was (quite thorough and interesting) and I think he said Umbro was already paying £10m a year and the team started a 10 year deal with them in 2009. I can't imagine they're only getting an extra £2m a year.. it would presumably have to be a much bigger jump to make the trade worthwhile.

Edit: Here we go, this is what the Swiss Ramble said:
Recently, the national media reported that they were set to agree a new £200 million kit deal with Umbro at the end of the season. Even though they are only three years into a 10-year deal, City’s progress means that this can be reviewed and there is talk of a significant increase in the annual payment from £6 million to £26 million. This might seem outrageously high, but is on a par with the sum Umbro already pays for the England team and is around the same level as the sums received by Liverpool from Warrior and Manchester United from Nike (though the latter is likely to rise to £35 million).

Umbro were already paying £20m a year (or set to) actually so the £26m is the only reasonable number I'd guess.

Financial Times reports it.

Liverpool's new one is worth £25m. Seriously, WTF.
Yeah just saw the article. Not much to go on really either way. I just can't see why Nike would pay more than they do to Barca and similar to what they paid United this year when, for now, City's shirt sales are very minor compared to those two.

Liverpool sell a whole lot of shirts. Comfortably in the top 5 in the world.

I was reading that piece linked to earlier by the Swedish Chef or whatever his name was (quite thorough and interesting) and I think he said Umbro was already paying 10m a year and the team started a 10 year deal with them in 2009. I can't imagine they're only getting an extra 2m a year.. it would presumably have to be a much bigger jump to make the trade worthwhile.
Switching to Nike for greater exposure alone would be worthwhile for a club like City.

dc89

Yeah just saw the article. Not much to go on really either way. I just can't see why Nike would pay more than they do to Barca and similar to what they paid United this year when, for now, City's shirt sales are very minor compared to those two.

Liverpool sell a whole lot of shirts. Comfortably in the top 5 in the world.

Switching to Nike for greater exposure alone would be worthwhile for a club like City.

:O I didn't think of it that way, how stupid of me. Long day at work I guess.

PaulLFC

Chicken breast, fried in bread crumbs with bechamel sauce and cheeses on top. I've ordered Jalapenos and ground spicy beef on mine. hnnnngh
That sounds fantastic, I vote for expanding it to the rest of the UK.

I don't think there's a Chipotle round here yet, they have one in London though. Already decided that's where I'm going if I'm anywhere nearby next time I'm in London.

This thread made me get nachos tonight.
And this post has made me want nachos. Since I don't have any nachos, BBQ Kettle chips will have to do.

:O I didn't think of it that way, how stupid of me. Long day at work I guess.
It is possible, just I don't think that would be a starting figure. It could reach £26m perhaps based on City's performance on the pitch and depending on how many shirts they shift each year.

For now Real Madrid top the list, their new deal with Adidas will be worth £28.5m. I think United earned about £26.5m from Nike this year.

dc89

Frimpong tweeted a picture of a dead man, wanting to highlight what goes on in Africa. Then deleted it.
@talkSPORTDrive

What the hell is he playing at?

If you go on twitter.com/search and put in Frimpong you can see reaction to it and people have screen capped his post. warning, it's NSFW and really disturbing, I can tell that from the thumbnail alone.

Copenhagen has hired busses around Denmark that will pick people up for free and drive them directly to the stadium. Awww yeah free transport, they really want all the support they can get for the last matches.

Parmos are pretty good. Barely ever seen them in Newcastle though, got one in Sunderland before though. Not quite as good as Boro folk make out but I've never tried one from Middlesbrough...yet!

elsk

Banned
"According to surveys... by Sport+Markt consultancy, 90% of English fans of Chelsea in 2006 had not supported club in 2003."

Went on a cruise two weeks ago with aforementioned girlfriend
Have you popped the question yet? also even if it doesn't work out Chicago is a beautiful city so is a good move.

No, and agreed. We've discussed getting married, but we aren't quite ready for it yet. Another year or so. And yes, I love Chicago, been going there almost every year since we moved away when I was 5.

New York is amazing and overwhelming in a good way. You'll love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom