• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you colourblindness! Which team belongs to the one that has reached the 110%, City or Everton (I'm guessing City)
Haha, colourblind?! I can't imagine what that's like...

In order top to bottom the clubs are; City, Chelsea, Everton/Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man United.

Clegg

Just shows how good the business model run by United actually is. Keep wages at 50% of turnover yet we can still afford to pay Rooney and others £100,000+ per week.

We could probably go slightly higher than that and still make those yearly interest payments.

Citys figures are astonishingly high.

sohois

https://p.twimg.com/AsDsoYwCMAAOLed.png[IMG]

Interesting graph (courtesy of @andersred) of Wage/Turnover for a few of the PL's top teams. Liverpool have had a sudden increase despite their performances getting worse. I'd like to see United maybe push the budget a bit, there's a bit of room to manoeuvre there. Maybe Rooney's mega-contract is a sign of that.

BTW, dc, in respect of your point about United buying the league etc yesterday, this is a good demonstration of the difference in terms of prudence and sustainability between United's admittedly big spending and that of other clubs.[/QUOTE]

The Liverpool increase is due to the reduction in revenue from the loss of champions league. Furthermore, the recent accounts most likely do not include the estimated £30million that was shaved off the wage bill last summer, hence the sudden increase

Ok thanks. It's not that bad really. I don't see the world in black and white either, distinguishing colours is just much harder for me. When colours are pretty close to each other like a mixture of brown, green and red then it becomes impossible for me to see a difference.
Color6.jpe

Ohh there's a number hidden somewhere? Can't see it. :/
Color45.jpe

nope
Color5-2.jpe

Screw this. :(

Ok thanks. It's not that bad really. I don't see the world in black and white either, distinguishing colours is just much harder for me. When colours are pretty close to each other like a mixture of brown, green and red then it becomes impossible for me to see a difference.
Color6.jpe

Ohh there's a number hidden somewhere? Can't see it. :/
Color45.jpe

nope
Color5-2.jpe

Screw this. :(

To be fair, that third one is pretty tough.

Carbonox

choodi

Banned
...shit loads of stuff about referring that I didn't realise...

Thanks for the insights mate, much appreciated you giving us a view from the inside.

Always happy to read your interpretation of some of the bigger decisions in matches too.

Wilbur

Banned
This is why I laugh when people throw the 'buying the league' stuff at us. They're completely different circumstances.

Anyway Avengers - poor first half, good second half, pretty good film.

The Liverpool increase is due to the reduction in revenue from the loss of champions league. Furthermore, the recent accounts most likely do not include the estimated £30million that was shaved off the wage bill last summer, hence the sudden increase
Yep loss of CL football has been a big problem for Liverpool. Also the £50m cost in abandoning the stadium expansion doesn't help.

The club will have made improvements over the financial year which has just ended, though savings made in the wage bill will probably have been cancelled out by the spend last summer. The new sponsorship deal with Warrior should be a good boost though, I think I read about 7%.

What do you think of FSG's decision to increase the loan option? I thought they would have put money into the club directly. They already wrote off a significant amount of the debt I suppose, but taking on big loans is never a good thing for a club.

P.S - If you guys didn't know by now, yes, I am a geek when it comes to football finance. It's interesting stuff!

GorillaJu

Just shows how good the business model run by United actually is. Keep wages at 50% of turnover yet we can still afford to pay Rooney and others £100,000+ per week.

We could probably go slightly higher than that and still make those yearly interest payments.

Citys figures are astonishingly high.

It's because of the income that you guys have from commercial sales and more importantly, match day. It's a good situation to be in, minus the debt hassle. You can pay high wages that compete with other top clubs without wasting a high % of your revenue.

The difference between Liverpool and the teams directly below us (Newcastle, Villa) is quite large. Going upward, Arsenal has more than double our yearly income, and United is a canyon apart.

Liverpool is actually in a very decent position. Looking to the future, we have a very good commercial arm. Adding a new stadium and CL football would put us right up there with Arsenal. The expenditures this season were exceptional costs - paying off Roy, Comolli, logistics and political fees with the failed stadium project from the previous owners, etc. Financially, these things are disregarded in terms of club value since they are rare and one-off payments.

In terms of revenue (particularly commercial), we've made huge progress since the new owners came in and Ian Ayre took over the business side. And this is before factoring in our shirt deal, which is the best in the PL - beaten only by Barcelona's, iirc. (and well above Real Madrid). We're now the 7th highest club in the world in terms of commercial revenue, which is pretty incredible if you think about it. And their campaign in Asia (particularly SE Asia), where there are swarms of Liverpool fans, hasn't even significantly kicked off.

What do you think of FSG's decision to increase the loan option? I thought they would have put money into the club directly. They already wrote off a significant amount of the debt I suppose, but taking on big loans is never a good thing for a club.

P.S - If you guys didn't know by now, yes, I am a geek when it comes to football finance. It's interesting stuff!

If you have a positive growth model, it's good to have some amount of debt for expansion. I don't disapprove of taking out loans, so long as we're on an upward path. It's a completely different situation to the previous owners, who leveraged their buyout and never increased revenue to put us on the road to profits. The only season we didn't suffer a loss in is when we offloaded players to Real and Barca.

Excluding exceptional costs, such as the failed HKS project from the previous regime, we'd be just about breaking even. The owners plan to have us in the CL and are doing a good job increasing revenue, so it's good and healthy for the business to also take on debt. It just has to be managed well.

It's because of the income that you guys have from commercial sales and more importantly, match day. It's a good situation to be in, minus the debt hassle. You can pay high wages that compete with other top clubs without wasting a high % of your revenue.

The difference between Liverpool and the teams directly below us (Newcastle, Villa) is quite large. Going upward, Arsenal has more than double our yearly income, and United is a canyon apart.

Liverpool is actually in a very decent position. Looking to the future, we have a very good commercial arm. Adding a new stadium and CL football would put us right up there with Arsenal. The expenditures this season were exceptional costs - paying off Roy, Comolli, logistics and political fees with the failed stadium project from the previous owners, etc. Financially, these things are disregarded in terms of club value since they are rare and one-off payments.

In terms of revenue (particularly commercial), we've made huge progress since the new owners came in and Ian Ayre took over the business side. And this is before factoring in our shirt deal, which is the best in the PL - beaten only by Barcelona's, iirc. (and well above Real Madrid). We're now the 7th highest club in the world in terms of commercial revenue, which is pretty incredible if you think about it. And their campaign in Asia (particularly SE Asia), where there are swarms of Liverpool fans, hasn't even significantly kicked off.
I agree. Liverpool should begin to make good progress financially now. Soon enough the club will cap at it's commercial peak with the resources it has though.

The two major requirements for growth are CL football + the new stadium. CL football is wholly dependent on the playing and coaching staff really. It will also require Liverpool spending a significant amount of money in transfer fees + wages, so it's not a straight forwards task by any means.

The stadium is a massive task within itself, finding the funding for that project is not easy and even when you do, it can set the club back in terms of its spending a long long way, Arsenal are a good example of this (although they are just damn stingy and have terrible commercial deals).

Also, I have to tell you, United still earn more than Liverpool this year with their Nike deal :)

Arnie

I've got a Virgin Media bundle:100MB internet, minimal TV, all the Sky Sports channels (only SS1 and SS2 in HD though) and ESPN in HD. Costs me £65. The bulk of that is sports, fuckin £36 a month which is absolutely obscene.

Obscene, yes, but oh so worth it.

I'm not going to get into a big finance debate; I still haven't read that Swiss Ramble piece and my knowledge of finance is limited as it is. All I know is cans of Dr Pepper have increased in price over the last 10 years. As have Curly Wurlys.

Messi

City have announced that starting 2013/2014 Nike will be the chosen kit supplier and sponsor. It's a deal which will run until 2019.

Nicely done, just in time for what I imagine will be a monster amount of money to be counted towards FFP!

Average kits ahoy :/

This is why I laugh when people throw the 'buying the league' stuff at us. They're completely different circumstances.

Anyway Avengers - poor first half, good second half, pretty good film.

Off to see it in about an hour. I'm quite excited, I do love a good IMAX film!

faridmon

News from the press conference - Baines, Anichebe and Rodwell to miss Wolves game, Neville and Gibson doubtful.

Hopefully Magaye is gonna get the nod ahead.

Clegg

It would probably cost Liverpool £250m-£300m to build a new stadium. But there are ways to lessen that blow. Selling the naming rights of the stadium could be a viable option but wouldn't be very popular with the fans. And then, of course, they could always decide to increase ticket prices which would definitely be a very unpopular decision.

Right now Liverpool are handicapped by Anfield. It's a great stadium and the fans love it but the club are lagging behind United/Arsenal in terms of matchday revenue .

Arnie

Hopefully Magay is gonna get the nod ahead.

I really like Magaye from the limited amount I've seen of him.

And for my food minute of the day I'd like to declare that I've got enough points for a free foot long at Subway which I'm planning on cashing in for the Final tomorrow. I'll go for a foot of Meatball with all salad (minus tomatoes) and mayonnaise. On hearty Italian of course. I'll grab a donut and a Sprite too, whilst I'm there.

GorillaJu

I agree. Liverpool should begin to make good progress financially now. Soon enough the club will cap at it's commercial peak with the resources it has though.

The two major requirements for growth are CL football + the new stadium. CL football is wholly dependent on the playing and coaching staff really. It will also require Liverpool spending a significant amount of money in transfer fees + wages, so it's not a straight forwards task by any means.

The stadium is a massive task within itself, finding the funding for that project is not easy and even when you do, it can set the club back in terms of its spending a long long way, Arsenal are a good example of this (although they are just damn stingy and have terrible commercial deals).

Also, I have to tell you, United still earn more than Liverpool this year with their Nike deal :)

Yeah, obviously it's not simple getting into the CL - you can't just wave your arms and have it be there.

If I were an owner, I'd be looking at the past 10 years, what happened with the backroom staff, the owners and the manager, and go straight for Rafa Benitez. From the owner's perspective and what they can see, it would seem an obvious choice. He loves the city and the club every bit as much as Kenny, but is more tactically astute and has more recently successful history. He gave us years of CL football including a victory and would have been able to deliver more had he not been sabotaged by our owners. Seems like the simplest path forward.

But then you have to get the fans on board with that. Good luck LOL

I really like Magaye from the limited amount I've seen of him.

And for my food minute of the day I'd like to declare that I've got enough points for a free foot long at Subway which I'm planning on cashing in for the Final tomorrow. I'll go for a foot of Meatball with all salad (minus tomatoes) and mayonnaise. On hearty Italian of course. I'll grab a donut and a Sprite too, whilst I'm there.
Claiming that free footlong is just a wonderful moment.

I had a Steak + Cheese footlong on hearty Italian bread, cheese and toasted (obv.). Went for cucumbers, olives, onions, peppers and pickle. With south-west and mayo.

Perfect.

Yeah, obviously it's not simple getting into the CL - you can't just wave your arms and have it be there.

If I were an owner, I'd be looking at the past 10 years, what happened with the backroom staff, the owners and the manager, and go straight for Rafa Benitez. From the owner's perspective and what they can see, it would seem an obvious choice. He loves the city and the club every bit as much as Kenny, but is more tactically astute and has more recently successful history. He gave us years of CL football including a victory and would have been able to deliver more had he not been sabotaged by our owners. Seems like the simplest path forward.

Almost all the Liverpool fans I know would love to have him back.

faridmon

You kow what. I might order the same later on. I at Uni doing my project and I am starving. Reading this haven't helped me one bit.

Arnie

Claiming that free footlong is just a wonderful moment.

I had a Steak + Cheese footlong on hearty Italian bread, cheese and toasted (obv.). Went for cucumbers, olives, onions, peppers and pickle. With south-west and mayo.

Perfect.

Almost all the Liverpool fans I know would love to have him back.

The best thing is because I don't like cheese I get to witness the utter shock on the employees face when I ask for toasted with no cheese. On numerous occasions they've asked me specifically why I don't want cheese, they were that taken aback. You can see them almost presuming it and moving towards the cheese to get it ready.

I'd take Rafa back in a heartbeat. Tactically he's at the very top tier, and after a summer or two of underwhelming English shite (Conchesky, Cole, Downing, Carroll) I'd love to see the club inundated with Spaniards once again. Sure, four would be complete and utter wank but the other four would be world champions within five years with 8 times the market value.

You kow what. I might order the same later on. I at Uni doing my project and I am starving. Reading this haven't helped me one bit.
That's what student loans are for my friend.

Personally I'm going to jaunt down to Spar in an hour and pick up a carton of Covent Garden Winter Vegetable soup and a nice, warm crusty baguette.

bjaelke

But Roy gave us Christian Poulsen. That's gotta count for something.

GQman2121

Banned
Pretty exciting news about the possibility of having a new - bigger - stadium only 3 miles from Stamford Bridge. It's going to be years before anything ever happens, but the building already looks perfect for a modern football ground.

I'd find away to keep this lighting.....

Battersea-Power-Station-008.jpg

Pretty disappointed that we're not in for Hazard. At this point the price is only going to go up. We've already pulled off a great deal for Marin (the rumor is as low as £7m now), so I think Hazard is worth the splurge. He can play anywhere and be effective on the ball. He's that good. That rabona cross last weekend to beat PSG was something else.

And I love that we're being linked with Schurrle. He could be another great value buy. You can never have enough Germans.

Meier

According to Goal.com (and this guy's agent), City are interested in adding another Argentine to the roster:

River Plate starlet Ezequiel Cirigliano is reportedly in the sights of Premier League leaders Manchester City, as his representative asserts that the English club are following his client's progress closely.

The 20-year-old defensive midfielder has been a regular for the Millo since relegation in June 2011 condemned them to play the following season in the Nacional B for the first time, and along with Lucas Ocampos has established himself as one of the top young stars in the institution.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...er-city-interested-in-cirigliano-claims-agent

Article suggests he could cost as much as €15 million. In other news, I had no clue River Plate were relegated last year.. wow. Talk about a team with history!

The best thing is because I don't like cheese I get to witness the utter shock on the employees face when I ask for toasted with no cheese. On numerous occasions they've asked me specifically why I don't want cheese, they were that taken aback. You can see them almost presuming it and moving towards the cheese to get it ready.

I'd take Rafa back in a heartbeat. Tactically he's at the very top tier, and after a summer or two of underwhelming English shite (Conchesky, Cole, Downing, Carroll) I'd love to see the club inundated with Spaniards once again. Sure, four would be complete and utter wank but the other four would be world champions within five years with 8 times the market value.
You're dead to me.

sohois

Yep loss of CL football has been a big problem for Liverpool. Also the £50m cost in abandoning the stadium expansion doesn't help.

The club will have made improvements over the financial year which has just ended, though savings made in the wage bill will probably have been cancelled out by the spend last summer. The new sponsorship deal with Warrior should be a good boost though, I think I read about 7%.

As Odd Morsel explained, it makes sense to have some funding from loans, though there is a negativity around them simply due to H+G reign of terror they are a perfectly legitimate source of funding. Furthermore, the current interest rates being offered in England make them a far more attractive proposition than previously, indeed it is worth noting that the leveraged buyout model of H+G could have been successful but for the double whammy of a huge rise in repayments and a surge in steel prices making a new stadium impossible.

Arnie

You're dead to me.

It's grown in a cave, and people openly admit that it stinks.

I got the tube passed that proposed Chelsea stadium plot in November and it looked crazy. Like some sort of maximum security prison. A new stadium there would be nice, right by the river. That whole area seems really congested though, it's almost as if they're just building houses on top of houses. That's one of the distinct places I remember thinking how congested London is as a City.

PaulLFC

Even I can't really make out this one. It's a 5 right?
It looks like a 2 to me. For some reason, that third one is the only one that looks quite clear to me, I can hardly make out the other two, especially the first one. It looks like 35 but I have no idea.

Meier

Yuck, Subway. If I'm getting a sandwich, that place is in the bottom 10% of where I'm going to go.

Agreed, Subway is fucking gross. The bread is usually nasty and either too hard or it's moist and you can tell it just got unfrozen. Their meat looks awful and is mostly tasteless. My favorite chain (not a national one sadly) in the US is called Potbelly Sandwich Works (usually just called Potbelly). On a national level, definitely Panera.

When I visited London, I was all about Pret. The sandwiches were amazing and it was super cheap. Plus, they were fucking everywhere. If I could, I'd eat Pret for lunch and Nando's for dinner every night.

It looks like a 2 to me. For some reason, that third one is the only one that looks quite clear to me, I can hardly make out the other two, especially the first one. It looks like 35 but I have no idea.
6, 45 and 5.

Pretty clear to me. My eyes rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom