• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

I don't mind Subway. The variety is a plus but I don't have a boner for it like I did in the past where I'd stick my penis in the baguette cos it was that damn good.

Very rarely go.

However, now I'm in the mood for one.

faridmon

When I visited London, I was all about Pret. The sandwiches were amazing and it was super cheap. Plus, they were fucking everywhere. If I could, I'd eat Pret for lunch and Nando's for dinner every night.

Wat

Pret are never cheap and those sandwiches won't fill you up like Subway does.

Agreed, Subway is fucking gross. The bread is usually nasty and either too hard or it's moist and you can tell it just got unfrozen. Their meat looks awful and is mostly tasteless. My favorite chain (not a national one sadly) in the US is called Potbelly Sandwich Works (usually just called Potbelly). On a national level, definitely Panera.

When I visited London, I was all about Pret. The sandwiches were amazing and it was super cheap. Plus, they were fucking everywhere. If I could, I'd eat Pret for lunch and Nando's for dinner every night.

Potbelly's is actually my favorite along with Penn Station (if you've heard of that one, don't think it is national). We don't have Potbelly's in Cleveland but I always grab it when I'm in Chicago, and it is one of the things I'm most excited for when I move to Chicago this summer (within the next two months!).

untitled-6adkzk.gif

I see, you're one of them. I guess you think Dominos pizza is the food equivalent of Bradford Park Avenue, and just smelling a KFC makes you wretch.

Sorry for generalising. That's just my perception of GAF.

Generalize away, but don't group me in with the GAF hive mind because I have taste :p

I think Domino's is alright, not my favorite but I do order it, and I'm not a fan of KFC, but I'll go there if someone else suggests it.

I thought I was one of the only people in the world that didn't like cheese. I can deal with melted mozzarella for some reason, but everything else smells and tastes disgusting to me. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. I think I am what they call a "super taster" because my taste buds are really sensitive to everything.

Meier

Wat

3.50 is super cheap to me and the fact you're in and out in under a minute or two is amazing. Food in general seemed insanely cheap in London -- we'd go to Tesco and get a decent amount of stuff and spend like 10 pounds. Obviously converted that was a bit more (about $16) but if you're a local, that's a non-issue. You can't find a nice sandwich in the US for much less than $5 and many places it's even more.

Potbelly's is actually my favorite along with Penn Station (if you've heard of that one, don't think it is national). We don't have Potbelly's in Cleveland but I always grab it when I'm in Chicago, and it is one of the things I'm most excited for when I move to Chicago this summer (within the next two months!).

Never heard of Penn Station but I'll be on the lookout. Congrats on the move to Chicago! I loved it there but the winters were just an absolute bitch due to their length. Fortunately there's a Potbelly here in Austin near the campus that I hit up 1-2 times a week.

Kyoufu

My favourite food in the UK right now is actually from Tesco :lol

Breaded chicken fillet. So good by itself or in a sandwich.

choodi

Banned
I thought I was one of the only people in the world that didn't like cheese. I can deal with melted mozzarella for some reason, but everything else smells and tastes disgusting to me. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. I think I am what they call a "super taster" because my taste buds are really sensitive to everything.

Mozzarella is pretty much tasteless.

If it doesn't smell like an old sock, its not really worth it to me.

faridmon

3.50 is super cheap to me and the fact you're in and out in under a minute or two is amazing. Food in general seemed insanely cheap in London -- we'd go to Tesco and get a decent amount of stuff and spend like 10 pounds. You can't find a nice sandwich in the US for much less than $5 and many places it's even more.

10 pounds is way more than 5 dollars mate. Those 3.50 sandwiches are nothing if you are starving and are looking for a decent meal. The Subway ones are 5 quids with drinks and its more than enough to fill me up for the whole day. beside, it tastes absoluetly amazing. Maybe back in America, you have shitty Subways?

I like buying those big bags of grated mozarella and just eating from it like a snack. :p

Lol, I thought I was the only crazy person who would do that. I guess I am alright!

Hixx

Cheese is a bit like tomato. Unless it's cooked and melted/puréed, shits nasty.

fake edit: blue cheese is the only cheese I like without being cooked/melted.

faridmon

Anyone of you have used AutoCad before? Damn, its been almost a year since I have used it and I am trying to get grips with the whole thing agains, and it going to take me longer than I could afford.

Also, any of have used Revit?

Wilbur

Banned
Summary -

Subway is average
Halloumi is awesome, everything else just with burgers
KFC is wonderful
Tesco chicken is good but stinks when you pull it out the packet
Benitez should go back to Liverpool
United's money woes make me sad
City and Nike, good luck with that
Battersea was in the Dark Knight

Meier

10 pounds is way more than 5 dollars mate. Those 3.50 sandwiches are nothing if you are starving and are looking for a decent meal. The Subway ones are 5 quids with drinks and its more than enough to fill me up for the whole day. beside, it tastes absoluetly amazing. Maybe back in America, you have shitty Subways?

I think you misread my post. I said we'd spend 10 pounds at Tesco and get a lot of food for it -- significantly more than what I'd get with $10 which really is how it should be measured since it's not a cost of living comparison. I was quite surprised by how far 10 pounds went.

Back to Pret, the sandwiches were plenty filling and you could get a canned drink for about 1 pound and maybe some chips (or crisps as it were) for another. I usually just eat a sandwich and have a cup of water for lunch personally and that costs $5 most anywhere. If you get a sandwich, chips and a drink, it's about $7-8 at a minimum in the US anywhere you go which is about the same converted as it would be at Pret (but again, not a fair comparison really).

A lot of people like Subway here though obviously and that's why you guys have it there, haha. I find it at the absolute bottom of the totem pole though.

Arnie

Exactly my opinion. Pizza I can handle. I wouldn't eat cheese on toast though.

What the fuck is wrong with you people. That blue cheese is riddled with mould, and you're open to sticking that in your mouth? On your tongue? You sicken me.

Carbonox

To be fair, the process in making blue cheese is like something out of a weird biohazard experiment but the shit tastes good so I can roll with it. :D

faridmon

I think you misread my post. I said we'd spend 10 pounds at Tesco and get a lot of food for it -- significantly more than what I'd get with $10 which really is how it should be measured since it's not a cost of living comparison. I was quite surprised by how far 10 pounds went.

Back to Pret, the sandwiches were plenty filling and you could get a canned drink for about 1 pound and maybe some chips (or crisps as it were) for another. I usually just eat a sandwich and have a cup of water for lunch personally and that costs $5 most anywhere. If you get a sandwich, chips and a drink, it's about $7-8 at a minimum in the US anywhere you go which is about the same converted as it would be at Pret (but again, not a fair comparison really).

A lot of people like Subway here though obviously and that's why you guys have it there, haha. I find it at the absolute bottom of the totem pole though.

Fair enough. But as student, I really don't go for meals unless they fill me up, one which Pret never did for me anyway. I do like Tescos because many of those food selection ar5e quite cheap, but the quality is just not there, and i could not bring myself in buying ready food from Tesco.

Also, thoe conversion rate are just not fair. 10 quid is a lot for me, Although London is quite expensive. You should go up north. When I wen to Liverpool, what I could do with 5 quid was mind- boggling.

£1 for a soft drink can or packet of crisps is very expensive over here. I'd expect to pay 60p for them in a shop, and even that seems much since they were like 50p only a year ago.

Subway's meal deal without a promotion is about £6/£7 though, which is pretty similar to $7/$8.

WJD

I like really mild cheese when complimenting something else. Ham and cheese toasties with ketchup are incredible.

the really stanky stuff is rank

Wat

3.50 is super cheap to me and the fact you're in and out in under a minute or two is amazing. Food in general seemed insanely cheap in London -- we'd go to Tesco and get a decent amount of stuff and spend like 10 pounds. Obviously converted that was a bit more (about $16) but if you're a local, that's a non-issue. You can't find a nice sandwich in the US for much less than $5 and many places it's even more.

Pret is bloody expensive if you're there multiple times a week, if you're stuck for anywhere else to go it tastes good and the cleanliness factor is a huge plus if you're somewhere unfamiliar, shame there's like none outside of Zones 1 and 2 though. I generally rotate though Subway, Pret, Nero and loads of small sandwich deli's and pizzerias that are around (low prices at those kinds of places, eg. whole pizza for £3:50 and it tastes great too).

I must give props for Tesco's food, yo can go in there at lunchtime and you get properly full off only £3.

Is getting lunch really expensive in the US? I always felt that I was getting ripped off here, can't be worse across the pond. Also IIRC don't Pret operate in American cities as well?
£1 for a soft drink can or packet of crisps is very expensive over here. I'd expect to pay 60p for them in a shop, and even that seems much since they were like 50p only a year ago.

Subway's meal deal without a promotion is about £6/£7 though, which is pretty similar to $7/$8.
NEXT LEVEL EATING: Buy the sandwich in pret, get the drink and crisps in the off licence across the street.

Hixx

I always used to get excited when Irn Bru was on special for 25p a can. Expensive as fuck now.

Kyoufu

Tesco chicken is good but stinks when you pull it out the packet

Actually this one doesn't smell, unlike their other chicken products, which is pretty weird I suppose.

It also tastes like chicken and not water. Love it.

I always used to get excited when Irn Bru was on special for 25p a can. Expensive as fuck now.

Irn Bru is tasty but oh man is it diabetes in a can/bottle or what... :(

Never heard of Penn Station but I'll be on the lookout. Congrats on the move to Chicago! I loved it there but the winters were just an absolute bitch due to their length. Fortunately there's a Potbelly here in Austin near the campus that I hit up 1-2 times a week.

Yea, Penn Station may only be in the midwest :/ Really fucking outstanding though.

Thanks! And I should be able to deal with the Chicago winters. Cleveland winters are marginally tamer at best.

Also, the idea of getting chips and a drink for <$1.50 would be amazing.

Cagliari president Cellino says we shouldn't win the s-word because we're arrogant for not consulting Cagliari when moving the fixture to be played at the same time as the Derby. Oh yeah? Well, fuck him. Its the right call for both us and Milan so we dont have anyone crying over pressured referees. And its great for the players who will be able to play their game whatever is going on elsewhere. I have no idea what he has always had against us. He forced us to overpay for Matri because we were disparate and then he refused to sell us Naingolan in Jnauary! Fuckkkkk himmmm. I hope we steamroll those fucks like we steamrolled Novara before them. I like Cagliari and I'm sympathetic to them when they play but they need to be crushed on Sunday.

/rant

faridmon

Yea, Penn Station may only be in the midwest :/ Really fucking outstanding though.

Thanks! And I should be able to deal with the Chicago winters. Cleveland winters are marginally tamer at best.

Also, the idea of getting chips and a drink for <$1.50 would be amazing.

If there was a city I would love to visit in America, it would be Chicago. Frank Lloyd-Wright <3
also, WTF is Irn Bru and how come I have never heard of it?

25p??? That must be some pre-decimalisation shit going down.

Back to Battersea Power Station for a minute, Chelsea struggle to sell out every game at the Bridge already, and while there will be a new stadium wow factor, I doubt they have the fan base to turn up week in week out and sell out, at current prices at least.

pulga

Banned
Cagliari president Cellino says we shouldn't win the s-word because we're arrogant for not consulting Cagliari when moving the fixture to be played at the same time as the Derby. Oh yeah? Well, fuck him. Its the right call for both us and Milan so we dont have anyone crying over pressured referees. And its great for the players who will be able to play their game whatever is going on elsewhere. I have no idea what he has always had against us. He forced us to overpay for Matri because we were disparate and then he refused to sell us Naingolan in Jnauary! Fuckkkkk himmmm. I hope we steamroll those fucks like we steamrolled Novara before them. I like Cagliari and I'm sympathetic to them when they play but they need to be crushed on Sunday.

/rant

Woooord.

Kyoufu

Back to Battersea Power Station for a minute, Chelsea struggle to sell out every game at the Bridge already, and while there will be a new stadium wow factor, I doubt they have the fan base to turn up week in week out and sell out, at current prices at least.

I'm sure they can get average folk to turn up at the right place. It is London afterall. Casual event fans will turn up.

I'm just hoping the atmosphere is improved. Stamford Bridge is soooooo quiet.

Bruce Buck said that they want to attract new younger fans and with the current pricing structure at SB that's not possible. It's a great plan really. A good location, a truly stunning stadium on the cards, redevelopment of the area and forward thinking strategy regarding fanbass.

Only thing is it'll cost a shitload. I think it could cost close to £1bn. That plot of land is worth alot of money. Converting the power station into a high spec ground whilst retaining its feature will be very very expensive. Plus they would have to make contributions to the redevelopment and the tube line.

I'm guessing they'd want to sell off the current SB plot though. Now that piece of land must be seriously valuable.

dc89

I don't get why there isn't an arab who wants to buy Newcastle.

We have a 52,000 capacity stadium with the most loyal fans in the country.

What in the flying fuck made City more worthy of that oil money? I can understand Chelsea since it's based in London, but come on... give us oil money!

47,000 is enough for City right now. Newcastle fans are loyal, but City still sold out 32,000 every week in the 3rd tier, not sure many can lay claim to that one.

If Kermit was here, he'd tell you the derelict land around the Etihad stadium was the clincher. Oil rich Arabs just love derelict land you see.

It's bought now. There was a problem with the land not many people actually knew about, it has abandoned coal mines underneath it. I'm not a engineer or anything but I know for a fact you can't expand a stadium and put so much weight on land which is dug out and hollow.

The club were having a bit of a debate with Manchester council on who's responsability it is to fill those mines in. It will cost a few million.

That's kind of a shame really, I like Umbro with their chest measurements rather than just "Medium" "Large" etc. :( Plus, I thought it was kinda neat that Umbro actually manufactured the shirts in England as opposed to some sweatshop in Malysia.

The rumor mill says Hazard favors City to United due to the fact that City has promised more opportunity for first team football. I don't really see where he'd fit in right away.. obviously I'd rather him over Milner or Johnson but that still leaves him on the bench. You don't usually spend 30-40 million on a bench player though so would we try and move Nasri? Silva only has 2 years left on his deal and has that nagging issue with his ankle but he's most definitely better than Nasri so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Silva has 2 years left, you are right. His ankle has always troubled him sadly :( But he has said he wants to stay so I can see it being renewed this summer and if not the next.

dc, do you work for the Manchester City PR Department?

Nope, not at the moment ;)

Well look forward to some shit kits then. It's a shame because the Umbro kits look really simple, and the quality is superb. Now you're just another egg in the basket so you'll receive a shoddy design that feels pretty poor at replica level.

Yeah, this is what worries me. All the Nike goal keeping tops are the same for example. City better not settle for shit kits.

Thing with the Umbro kits is that they are quality, even at replica level, everything is stitched on and the shirts have really nice touches such as 'tailored by umbro' stiched at the bottom and currently have a sound capture of Bluemoon stiched down the side.

I'm sure they can get average folk to turn up at the right place. It is London afterall. Casual event fans will turn up.

I'm just hoping the atmosphere is improved. Stamford Bridge is soooooo quiet.

For big games, yes they'll sell out, but for games against Wigan, or Bolton? Fulham fills out by having a neutral stand and flogging tickets for £10, and have an environment which is welcoming to newcomers, I don't think Chelsea can adopt that kind of policy.

In terms of noise, with a new stadium, I doubt it, they're not constructed to be conducive to noise. The problem exists at the Emirates where we have those open corners on the roof. It lets air in and lets the pitch be immaculate, but at the cost of letting a lot of sound leak out.

Bruce Buck said that they want to attract new younger fans and with the current pricing structure at SB that's not possible. It's a great plan really. A good location, a truly stunning stadium on the cards, redevelopment of the area and forward thinking strategy regarding fanbass.

Only thing is it'll cost a shitload. I think it could cost close to £1bn. That plot of land is worth alot of money. Converting the power station into a high spec ground whilst retaining its feature will be very very expensive. Plus they would have to make contributions to the redevelopment and the tube line.

I'm guessing they'd want to sell off the current SB plot though. Now that piece of land must be seriously valuable.

They'll make the cost of the land back off the Stamford Bridge money, central london housing is recession proof, I wouldn't be surprised if they revelop the area themselves like Arsenal did with Highbury.

The location of Battersea slightly overrated IMO, without the Northern Line Extension you'd have to walk from Sloane Square which is ages away and apart from the park, that immediate area is still really industrial and a bit grim. Gaining ownership of the surrounding area other than the power station wont be easy either.

Chips? You mean... Crisps?

Let's not do this. I'm not going to adjust my colloquialisms just because there are people from a wide variety of cultures. You clearly understood what I meant. If you continue, you'll see me forever calling the sport we all love 'soccer'.

Kyoufu

47,000 is enough for City right now. Newcastle fans are loyal, but City still sold out 32,000 every week in the 3rd tier, not sure many can lay claim to that one

Well, we're not shit enough to be in the 3rd tier so yeah, we can't lay claim to that one.

Let's not do this. I'm not going to adjust my colloquialisms just because there are people from a wide variety of cultures. You clearly understood what I meant. If you continue, you'll see me forever calling the sport we all love 'soccer'.

Watching Dempsey interviews, he has a rough time deciding on Football or Soccer :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom