• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Back from TDKR. It was good, but I think overall I'm pretty disappointed.

Waiting until Tuesday is killing me.

I'm just now aware of how 'first world problems' that sounds. Boohoo, I've got to wait until Tuesday to see it at the IMAX. And I don't have a job, so I didn't have to book a day off work. What a spoilt JT I am.

K1LLER7

I'd love to join in the United doom and gloom parade, but today I saw Kagawa stylin'. They could be in the process of being taken over by a Greek accountant and it'd still be hard to suppress the raw optimism expelled by Shinji Kagawa.
I need some of your Koptimism :)

jtb

Banned

Lightning

Banned
Wenger was absolutely right to drop RVP from the tour. the risk of him getting injured and missing out on that transfer fee is huge, and he obviously wants out. Let's get this deal done ASAP. 20m is a decent fee, I'd take that. Theo's going on the tour though, right?
Yep Theo is going but from what Ive heard anyway Theo has indicated he wants to stay so it only makes sense for him to go on tour. Not to mention the amount of martketing Theo has been doing for Arsenal lately would also make it necessary for him to go.

And yeah, RVP can get lost. Dont want an injury ruining our transfer fee.

Clegg

Waiting until Tuesday is killing me.

I'm just now aware of how 'first world problems' that sounds. Boohoo, I've got to wait until Tuesday to see it at the IMAX. And I don't have a job, so I didn't have to book a day off work. What a spoilt JT I am.

Thats called being middle class.

Revel in it.

kharma45

Wow hahahahaha.

Oh wow.

Back from TDKR. It was good, but I think overall I'm pretty disappointed.

I liked it on the whole but I avoided basically all reviews, opinions and TV spots for it. Only thing I found was the score was rather too loud in places and Bane's diction could've been done better in some places, although you did get used to it.

For me I'd rank them BB > TDKR > TDK.

Without specifics, would it have been better without Catwoman?

No.

jtb

Banned
Yep Theo os going but from what Ive heard anyway Theo has indicated he wants to stay so it only makes sense for him to go on tour. Not to mention the amount of martketing Theo has been doing for Arsenal lately would also make it necessary for him to go.

And yeah, RVP can get lost. Dont want an injury ruining our transfer fee.

yeah Theo's basically the last relatively big name at Arsenal, which is kind of pathetic. Sucks that he doesn't want to leave; hope that means he's willing to sign a relatively low new contract (I'm thinking 50k a week would be very generous, but would fit within the Arsenal wage structure... doesn't Diaby make 50k a week?). Don't need another player earning far more than they deserve.

I wonder who Wenger will hand the captaincy after RVP leaves... TV?

Clegg

‘There is a borderline in terms of what you would think is a good signing for United,’ said Ferguson. ‘I see some values on players, like Hazard for instance. To me it was a lot of money. He’s a good player, but £34m?

What we’re finding anyway, the climate for buying these top players — not just the transfer fees, [but] the salaries, agent’s fees — is just getting ridiculous now. In the Hazard deal, Chelsea paid the agent £6m. The Nasri situation was the same.

‘It’s all about what you think is value for a player. I am not envious of those deals at all. We placed a value on Hazard which was well below what they were talking about. So if it doesn’t work, well we’re not worried about that. We think we’ve got good value in Kagawa.

Young hope: United spent £4m on Crewe's Nick Powell

‘We scout well. Sometimes we do the scouting for other clubs. The minute the agent knew we’d spoken to Powell, I think every club was in with offers. But we’d done the deal.

‘Whenever we show interest in a player it activates the situation with other clubs. But we’ve done well over the years. We’ve bought well, one or two bad ones, no doubt about that, but you handle that.

‘The big difference is when the academy started 10 years ago we had to change our scouting in terms of abroad. So that’s increased. Looking at countries like Brazil, Mexico and through South America. France, too, we’re all over Europe now.’

Looks like SAF is saying we pulled out of the Hazard deal, a while before he actually decided to go to Chelsea.

It also implies that the Moura deal won't be done either.

"One or two bad ones." Bebe and Anderson

yeah Theo's basically the last relatively big name at Arsenal, which is kind of pathetic. Sucks that he doesn't want to leave; hope that means he's willing to sign a relatively low new contract (I'm thinking 50k a week would be very generous, but would fit within the Arsenal wage structure... doesn't Diaby make 50k a week?). Don't need another player earning far more than they deserve.

You've got Podolski, Vermaelen, Wilshere (when he gets back from 1885) and potentially Ox-Chamberlain as players who are 'bigger' than Theo. TV will probably get the captaincy, all things considered.

dc, for your viewing pleasure.

Salvadora

34m is a huge risk to most clubs. I don't blame him for getting cold feet regarding some of these players. Not every club can shrug off huge flops as City can.

34m is a huge risk to most clubs. I don't blame him for getting cold feet regarding some of these players. Not every club can shrug off huge flops as City can.

Yep, and it's not just about not wanting to eat huge losses on your balance sheet, it's the not being able to move a player on big wages on when he turns out shit because no one else can afford those wages. Something Chelsea and City don't have to give a fuck about.

jtb

Banned
In other news, 7.5 million is the rumoured price for Bendtner. AC Milan & Galatasaray are interested apparently. Please happen.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-nicklas-bendtner-1153099

7.5 million would be brilliant business, though tbh, I wouldn't mind having Bendtner back for another season. Can't rely on Podolski (since we know he's probably going to be played out wide) and Giroud to play every single game; need to have squad strikers that aren't Chamakh.

Salvadora

Yep, and it's not just about not wanting to eat huge losses on your balance sheet, it's the not being able to move a player on big wages on when he turns out shit because no one else can afford those wages. Something Chelsea and City don't have to give a fuck about.

It will be interesting to see how they operate in the future as the cats out of the bag regarding wages. How can they ever go back?

7.5 million would be brilliant business, though tbh, I wouldn't mind having Bendtner back for another season. Can't rely on Podolski (since we know he's probably going to be played out wide) and Giroud to play every single game; need to have squad strikers that aren't Chamakh.
I agree. Out of all potential outgoing players, He's the one I wouldn't cry about keeping. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

Carbonox

nah. She was one of the best parts of the movie, imo. the weak link was Bane.

wat

Bane was phenomenal. Tom Hardy did the best anyone could have done with him, given that he's a masked character. Whenever Bane was on screen you knew shit was going to go down. His presence was terrific and frightening. I love quoting him too cos he comes out with some hilarious stuff. He kicks serious ass in the film.

Everyone was great.

LegoArmo

A lot of my negativity comes from being an economics student.

Those financial statements don't make for heartening reading.

Don't United still make a profit even with the debt repayment? And hasn't the debt fallen by a large amount over the past two years (from something like £600m to £450m)? And the IPO is scheduled to lower it some more, if that's what they use the money for, which I think they will.

These are actual questions by the way, I'm not being sarcy.

jtb

Banned
wat

Bane was phenomenal. Tom Hardy did the best anyone could have done with him, given that he's a masked character. Whenever Bane was on screen you knew shit was going to go down. His presence was terrific and frightening. I love quoting him too cos he comes out with some hilarious stuff. He kicks serious ass in the film.

Everyone was great.

Hardy was great (as were all the performances, minus JGL who was a bit over the top). but Bane's role in the movie was downright pathetic; Nolan reduced him to a mere plot device. rather disappointing.

Don't United still make a profit even with the debt repayment? And hasn't the debt fallen by a large amount over the past two years (from something like £600m to £450m)? And the IPO is scheduled to lower it some more, if that's what they use the money for, which I think they will.

We do still make a profit.

Debt has fallen marginally, this last year it's actually up. The main reason it's fallen is because the PIK has been paid off (we have no idea how). Other than that it has fallen but not by a massive amount, less than 20%.

Lightning

Banned

Definitely has to be Vermaelen that takes the captaincy role over. Also, if Theo signs he will earn a lot more than 50k, I heard 80k, was the figure being thrown around but can't see Theo signing for 50k.

I am really glad to hear that Arteta is fit again and will tour but we need some squad improvements. Bids confirmed being made for Yann M'Vila I hope we are among them.

Arnie

Please stop the Batman talk guys, or take it into the OT. I really don't want to go into the film with ideas about who's acted well, or which characters stood out. I want to draw all these conclusions myself, and it's harder when I've got preconceived ideas.

Please stop the Batman talk guys, or take it into the OT. I really don't want to go into the film with ideas about who's acted well, or which characters stood out. I want to draw all these conclusions myself, and it's harder when I've got preconceived ideas.
This please.

I won't be seeing it for a couple of weeks at least so can we please keep it at a minimum.

Salvadora

Arteta was fucking brilliant last season. Can't see us getting M'Vila with the number of clubs interested. Wish we would though.

Arnie

Distraction time, then.

120721-015-liverpool_toronto.jpg

120721-039-liverpool_toronto.jpg

120721-024-liverpool_toronto.jpg

120721-038-liverpool_toronto.jpg

Clegg

Debt currently stands at £425m. In the last 7 years the Glazers have spent over £500m in interest payments and buying back debt. The debt has gone down but we've spent so much more in servicing interest payments. Think what we could have done if that £500m had stayed within the club.

And United still make profits. We made an £8m profit last year but it could have been so much more. We lost £40m in interest payments for that one year. With no debt we could have used that £48m in the transfer market. Profits are also based on our success. If we continue to underperform in the CL then those profit margins will get smaller and smaller. Thats why money for transfers is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom