• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Definitely has to be Vermaelen that takes the captaincy role over. Also, if Theo signs he will earn a lot more than 50k, I heard 80k, was the figure being thrown around but can't see Theo signing for 50k.

I am really glad to hear that Arteta is fit again and will tour but we need some squad improvements. Bids confirmed being made for Yann M'Vila I hope we are among them.

if Theo makes 80k... he'll basically be on the same contract RVP's currently on. I change my mind; sell him for any price.

M'Vila would be fantastic, but I'm skeptical that he'd choose Arsenal if more bids came in with more money. Not all players are Giroud, and unlike Giroud, his place was already pretty cemented in the French national team (albeit before his show of disrespect and all that)... Wenger could do well to send him a text or too. I could also do with Carzola if Malaga really are selling and our interest is legitimate; he'd be a strong addition to our midfield even if he is a bit older. No resale value, but at the end of the day, we can't keep buying players for a team meant to win tomorrow. Giroud and Podolski seem to be steps in the right direction.

Just read Fergie's comments.

Guess I'm not a "real" fan then.

What an idiot. I can understand that Fergie doesn't denounce the Glazers, I can live with that. But I seriously have no idea how he thinks it's okay to have a go at fans who are opposed to them.

Fergie says £6m for Hazard's agents is insane. And it is, it really is despicable that people make that kind of money in football. But if the Glazer's hadn't lumped us into debt Fergie would be paying it, almost guaranteed.

Arnie

OMG that Torres miss against UTD is STILL hard to watch.

Saw it on Premier League years today, and I agree. So wide.

By the way, the reason for Agger's absence will be on the website later, it wasn't injury. And before we hit muppet mode the tweet also mentioned that he'll be playing against Roma, so it's safe to bet it's not transfer related.

LegoArmo

Debt currently stands at £425m. In the last 7 years the Glazers have spent over £500m in interest payments and buying back debt. The debt has gone down but we've spent so much more in servicing interest payments. Think what we could have done if that £500m had stayed within the club.

And United still make profits. We made an £8m profit last year but it could have been so much more. We lost £40m in interest payments for that one year. With no debt we could have used that £48m in the transfer market. Profits are also based on our success. If we continue to underperform in the CL then those profit margins will get smaller and smaller. Thats why money for transfers is so important.

The club has been very successful though, of the least 6 league titles, they've won 4 and missed out on the other 2 by a point and 8 goals. Plus, there was 3 Champions League finals and 1 win.

Obviously the more money going in to the club, the better, but as a business plan, it seems to be working pretty well.

I guess it all depends on if you think last season's European performance was a bit of a fluke, or because of the lack of real quality in the squad, so it will be repeated this season.

Pesonally I think we'll be back to winning ways again in 2013.

Arnie

This shirt is sooooooooooooooo much better than the previous one.
The difference is astonishing. I've got mine on now, got a bit sentimental when Lucas came on.
Obviously the more money going in to the club, the better, but as a business plan, it seems to be working pretty well.
In the short term, yes.

And this business plan is one which profits the Glazers directly, not the football club.

Clegg

Just read Fergie's comments.

Guess I'm not a "real" fan then.

What an idiot. I can understand that Fergie doesn't denounce the Glazers, I can live with that. But I seriously have no idea how he thinks it's okay to have a go at fans who are opposed to them.

Fergie says £6m for Hazard's agents is insane. And it is, it really is despicable that people make that kind of money in football. But if the Glazer's hadn't lumped us into debt Fergie would be paying it, almost guaranteed.

You can be guaranteed that he would. We paid £30m each for Rio and Veron. That was 10 years ago. Wages and agents fees are much higher now but United also make much more money than they did 10 years ago.

Fucking Glazers.

TrueBlue

Martin Tyler's commentary made it even more heartbreaking. Should have got at least a draw from that game, so many missed chances :(

Messi

I know it's wrong, but I'll always see Torres as a Liverpool player. When I see him playing for Chelsea I feel like he just went to the wrong dressing room Lol. I understand why pool fans hate him though.

The club has been very successful though, of the least 6 league titles, they've won 4 and missed out on the other 2 by a point and 8 goals. Plus, there was 3 Champions League finals and 1 win.

I guess it all depends on if you think last season's European performance was a bit of a fluke, or because of the lack of real quality in the squad, so it will be repeated this season.

Pesonally I think we'll be back to winning ways again in 2013.
The thing is, that success in in spite of the Glazers. If we did not have the debt, seriously I'm not joking we would have Hazard, Sneijder, Villa, Benzema etc etc anybody you want to name apart from a handful of players playing at Old Trafford.

We could AFFORD to pay our players £200k a week, and still make a profit, not a £100m+ loss like the guys down the road.

It's been good, it could be MUCH better. 1CL may well have been 3.

Clegg

Oh look, all this Glazer talk has gotten me upset.

I think its time I went back to bashing Anderson.

The useless shite.

Oh look, all this Glazer talk has gotten me upset.

I think its time I went back to bashing Anderson.

The useless shite.
Anderson wouldn't matter to us.

Would have made him our mascot.

Seriously though, Ando has looked SO bad these last 2 games. It's scary.

LegoArmo

In the short term, yes.

And this business plan is one which profits the Glazers directly, not the football club.

When it really starts to affect the club, I think I'll feel different, but it's going to take more than one season.

Ferguson spending more money wouldn't automatically equal more success, anyway, players like Berbatov and Veron didn't exaclty work out.

Lightning

Banned
if Theo makes 80k... he'll basically be on the same contract RVP's currently on. I change my mind; sell him for any price.

M'Vila would be fantastic, but I'm skeptical that he'd choose Arsenal if more bids came in with more money. Not all players are Giroud, and unlike Giroud, his place was already pretty cemented in the French national team (albeit before his show of disrespect and all that)... Wenger could do well to send him a text or too. I could also do with Carzola if Malaga really are selling and our interest is legitimate; he'd be a strong addition to our midfield even if he is a bit older. No resale value, but at the end of the day, we can't keep buying players for a team meant to win tomorrow. Giroud and Podolski seem to be steps in the right direction.
Giroud made the correct choice. If it works out for him at Arsenal, as he will be our main goal man, then he is going to waltz into the french national side. He'll face too much competition at Chelsea which could dampen his effectiveness. Also, having Wenger coaching him is only going to make him better, absolutely no doubt about that for me. But yeah, Giroud turning down Chelsea based on a Wenger text and Kos "the boss" Koscielny tapping him up which was basically confirmed was excellent.

On a different note, Koscielny looking to extend his Arsenal stay until 2017 nearly done which will be excellent news for the stability of our defence since Vermaelen extended his contract earlier as well and so did Sagna so now it's only Gibbs who I hope has a breakthrough season without injury and improves his defence.

Arnie

When it really starts to affect the club, I think I'll feel different, but it's going to take more than one season.

Ferguson spending more money wouldn't automatically equal more success, anyway, players like Berbatov and Veron didn't exaclty work out.
When it really starts to affect the club it could be too late.
Only first is good enough.
Better support Liverpool next season then.

ibkjrFpr1p29oN.gif

K1LLER7

Want cheering up?

You'll finish in the top two next season.
With Bebe top scorer and regarded as the next Ronaldo.

Really happy with Kagawa. His first game and he ran everything the team did, especially in the 2nd half. Can't wait to see him alongside Nani and Rooney.

LegoArmo

When it really starts to affect the club it could be too late.

I get the feeling they're going to sell up, sooner rather than later.

I'm not defending the Glazers by the way, I just don't understand the extreme negativity around the web, I'm not talking about this forum either, I read RedCafe. :p

Clegg

Want cheering up?

You'll finish in the top two next season.

Depends on how well Chelsea integrate their new signings. They could be lethal in attack. They still need a better midfield though imo.

Spurs have signed Vertonghen and Gylfi. If they keep Modric then they'll be contenders for sure. Not sure about Arsenal. Their defence is shaky and Wilshere is still not in contention for a comeback.

Clegg

I'm not defending the Glazers by the way, I just don't understand the extreme negativity around the web, I'm not talking about this forum either, I read RedCafe. :p

RedCafe have some awful Glazer apologists.

But I find the Anderson apologists to be infinitely more upsetting.

Arnie

Depends on how well Chelsea integrate their new signings. They could be lethal in attack. They still need a better midfield though imo.

Spurs have signed Vertonghen and Gylfi. If they keep Modric then they'll be contenders for sure. Not sure about Arsenal. Their defence is shaky and Wilshere is still not in contention for a comeback.

If Chelsea buy Fellaini then consider me in muppet mode. I'm still not convinced they can rely on Luiz to defend, either.

The problem is, even if they do sell up soon (I don't think they will btw)...to who? It will have to be one of these oil rich businessmen.

I don't really want that, obv. I'd rather that than the Glazer's...but it's a dangerous road itself. Very few of those owners have proved to be credible.

We don't need anybody to help us out. We just need the Glazer's gone.

Extreme negativity...I dunno, maybe it's OTT at times, but it's because they're hurting the club. It's hard to deny that at this point. We are leaking money, that is never a good thing.

K1LLER7

The problem is, even if they do sell up soon (I don't think they will btw)...to who? It will have to be one of these oil rich businessmen.

I don't really want that, obv. I'd rather that than the Glazer's...but it's a dangerous road itself. Very few of those owners have proved to be credible.

We don't need anybody to help us out. We just need the Glazer's gone.

Extreme negativity...I dunno, maybe it's OTT at times, but it's because they're hurting the club. It's hard to deny that at this point. We are leaking money, that is never a good thing.
Wasn't there talks of a fan take over a while back?

rodvik

The pic before reminded me to ask. Is Kool aid nice? I keep meaning to eBay some to try it

Oh and I got in a strop before and threw my iPhone its super fucked now

No it isnt or at least not worth ebaying for. I assume there are plenty of sugar mixes you can throw into water in the UK, you are getting the same with Kool aid.

It tastes like a slightly crappier version of squash.

The US has many high quality beverage products. Kool aid is not one of them.

qindarka

Banned
If Chelsea buy Fellaini then consider me in muppet mode. I'm still not convinced they can rely on Luiz to defend, either.

Luiz seems to me like Koscielny. Generally looked upon as unreliable by fans of other clubs due to previous high profile errors but highly regarded by fans of Chelsea and Arsenal respectively.

LegoArmo

The clubs value has gone up so much that Viva is right, it would take some oil rich business to buy it.

It's interesting though because if one did buy United, they wouldn't even have to sink that much of their own money in after the initial outlay.

The clubs value has gone up so much that Viva is right, it would take some oil rich business to buy it.

It's interesting though because if one did buy United, they wouldn't even have to sink that much of their own money in after the initial outlay.
That original outlay would be so big though.

More than either City or Chelsea's owners have spent so far I reckon...and they've spent a shitload.

Clegg

Oh... we might not get along.

Anderson hasn't improved as a footballer in the 5 years he's been at United. He constantly injured for months on end and regularly puts in mediocre performances. Yet people are still clamouring for him to be given more time. For the first 4 years of his United career people were saying that he hadn't gotten a preseason with United and that was the reason for injuries and poor performances. Well he got one last year and he was still shite and still got injured.

I'm all for giving players the chance to prove themselves. But Anderson has gotten 5 years worth of them and he still looks nowhere near close to justifying the hype from years ago.

LegoArmo

That original outlay would be so big though.

More than either City or Chelsea's owners have spent so far I reckon...and they've spent a shitload.

Aye, I even think that would make it less of an interesting "project", buy the club, pay off the debt, sit back and let the club spend what it makes. Not that exciting.

Anderson hasn't improved as a footballer in the 5 years he's been at United. He constantly injured for months on end and regularly puts in mediocre performances. Yet peopke are still clamouring for him to be given more time. For the first 4 years of his United career people were saying that he hadn't gotten a preseason with United and that was the reason for injuries and poor performances. Well he got one last year and he was still shite and still got injured.

I agree, he may have even regressed, but he's still only 1 year older than Cleverley, it won't hurt to keep him around and give him another chance. I'm sure he's not on too high a wage.

Anderson hasn't improved as a footballer in the 5 years he's been at United. He constantly injured for months on end and regularly puts in mediocre performances. Yet people are still clamouring for him to be given more time. For the first 4 years of his United career people were saying that he hadn't gotten a preseason with United and that was the reason for injuries and poor performances. Well he got one last year and he was still shite and still got injured.

I'm all for giving players the chance to prove themselves. But Anderson has gotten 5 years worth of them and he still looks nowhere near close to justifying the hype from years ago.

I still have no idea what happened to that talented goalscoring winger he used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom