• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steady on, Friedrich.
:lol

But he didn't get a free pass. Ghana was a awarded a penalty and then he missed the game versus Netherlands, where Uruguay needed every goal scoring chance they could get (though Lugano's absence was probably more vital in that match).
I meant in reference to FootballFan's post that he is 100% okay with what he did.

Not sure you can ever be 100% okay with somebody basically breaking the rules.

Somehow I don't think Messi would do that.
I am pretty sure Messi scored a handball goal and celebrated it like he scored a screamer.

Nicolaj Jørgensen starting as forward for Denmark tomorrow. Fuck yeah. Thomas Kristensen also starting, who is complete shit but hey, I am all for more Copenhagen players on the national team.

Andreas Cornelius can also make his debut, he only starting playing for Copenhagens first team this season and has gotten 6 goals in 10 matches so far, 19 year old, 1.93 in height and not a bad technique at all despite that.

ZnDQy.jpg
The hair... :( This is going to be a nightmare.

But that's part of the fun ruined =p
Hey, I should be in bed anyway so I can't be doing everything around here :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I meant in reference to FootballFan's post that he is 100% okay with what he did.

It's called taking advantage of the system. If the rules of the game are fit for that kind of abuse then hate the game, not the player.

FootballFan

:lol

I am pretty sure Messi scored a handball goal and celebrated it like he scored a screamer.

Yeah but he broke the rules to save his team and served his punishment. Like Vidic slidetackling a striker who is about to score into an empty net, he would get a red card but he would have saved the team.

And yep Messi did celebrate that goal :lol

It's called taking advantage of the system. If the rules of the game are fit for that kind of abuse then hate the game, not the player.
Nah that's bullshit.

You can say the same about anybody who breaks/bends the rules.

If somebody dives, what are they doing if they're not "taking advantage of the system". Who do you blame then, the player or the game?

Yeah but he broke the rules to save his team and served his punishment. Like Vidic slidetackling a striker who is about to score into an empty net, he would get a red card but he would have saved the team.
I know, I totally get why he did it and he probably didn't even think about it. I'm just saying I don't think we should be saying it's totally cool. Fair enough, we understand why he did, but it was still wrong.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Suarez's handball was 100% okay until I realized Asamoah was in Ghana's XI. Now I'm fighting back the tears..

FootballFan

Nah that's bullshit.

You can say the same about anybody who breaks/bends the rules.

If somebody dives, what are they doing if they're not "taking advantage of the system". Who do you blame then, the player or the game?

Nope, that is different. A dive is wrong and punishable with a yellow card. So if someone dives to get a penalty, then that is the referees fault for not seeing it. What Suarez did went all by the book and was in no way the referees fault(unlike a dive fooling him),

Handball denying clear goal = red card + penalty(which is the right call). Just like diving = yellow card(which is also the right call, were the person to be awarded a penalty/freekick then thats a wrong call from the referee and player getting away with cheating, which Suarez didn't get away with)

edit
Of course this in no way means it doesn't suck for Ghana, but that is just the rules. And I am sure most of us wanted that penalty to go in but the referee played everything perfectly there.

England played alright today but would rather club football was on! I am thinking I might buy tickets to the game against San Marino though. Should be a massacre!

Nope, that is different. A dive is wrong and punishable with a yellow card. So if someone dives to get a penalty, then that is the referees fault for not seeing it. What Suarez did went all by the book and was in no way the referees fault(unlike a dive fooling him),

Handball denying clear goal = red card + penalty(which is the right call). Just like diving = yellow card(which is also the right call, were the person to be awarded a penalty/freekick then thats a wrong call from the referee and player getting away with cheating, which Suarez didn't get away with)
So is it okay for Suarez to bite somebody on the neck, because after all the referee will give him the relevant punishment.

And if the referee doesn't see it, then it's the ref's fault?.

That's the logic of your argument - as far as I can tell anyway...,maybe I am missing the point here. The onus to do the right thing is as much on the players as on the ref's.

What Suarez did by handballing it did not go by the book. That's ridiculous. If he went by the book he wouldn't have got sent off. He broke the rules. How can it be okay to break the rules?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's also the players responsibility to not break the rules.
True, but it's also not their job to administer justice for their own wrongdoings. That would be pretty fucking stupid of them, especially because then they would be willingly put their team at a liability.

What I'm saying is that we have authorities on this already.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So is it okay for Suarez to bite somebody on the neck, because after all the referee will give him the relevant punishment.

And if the referee doesn't see it, then it's the ref's fault?.

That's the logic of your argument - as far as I can tell anyway...,maybe I am missing the point here. The onus to do the right thing is as much on the players as on the ref's.
Physical danger is where I draw the line.
What Suarez did by handballing it did not go by the book. That's ridiculous. If he went by the book he wouldn't have got sent off. He broke the rules. How can it be okay to break the rules?
wait what

Everybody would have done the same thing. It's easy to condemn him for that while typing from behind a monitor.

It depends if he meant it or if it was purely a reflex brought upon by desperation. Regardless, I can't imagine ever deciding to do something like that but I'm sure it could happen to anyone as an accident

FootballFan

And if the referee doesn't see it, then it's the ref's fault.

That's the logic of your argument - as far as I can tell anyway...,maybe I am missing the point here.

Oh come on lol, biting someone in the neck can probably cause death, handballing it is a whole different bag.

It isn't okay to break the rules, but he paid the consequences for breaking them, he got a red card and gave the other team a penalty.

As I said before, if Vidic slide-tackles Aguero who is about to tap it into an empty net to win CL final against ManUnited, Vidic gets red card and Man City get a penalty, which they miss and United win 1-0. Would you be upset and call Vidic a cheat or say he saved your team? He broke the rules by tackling a player without the ball but he did it in a last attempt to save his team. No difference.

Every OT has to have a Suarez debate. Can't we all just unanimously agree that he's a huge JT and move onto someone else?

Gerrard maybe.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's hard to know whether it was merely instinctual or intentional. If the latter, then I can't imagine ever deciding to do something similar - so no, not everyone would have done similar.
I don't think anyone in GAF has ever been under the pressure of having a goal coming in during the last minute of a World Cup quarterfinal in order to make that call.

Physical danger is where I draw the line.

wait what
I think we got confused there. I meant, if what he had done was 100% okay (Suarez) he wouldn't have got sent off.

Oh come on lol, biting someone in the neck can probably cause death, handballing it is a whole different bag.

It isn't okay to break the rules, but he paid the consequences for breaking them, he got a red card and gave the other team a penalty.

As I said before, if Vidic slide-tackles Aguero who is about to tap it into an empty net to win CL final against ManUnited, Vidic gets red card and Man City get a penalty, which they miss and United win 1-0. Would you be upset and call Vidic a cheat or say he saved your team? He broke the rules by tackling a player without the ball but he did it in a last attempt to save his team.
Sure, but it's still the same principle. If you break a rule you break a rule, how can that ever be 100% okay.

If Vidic did that he would be wrong. Solskjaer actually did it years and years ago. He was applauded off the pitch by MUFC fans.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy...as I said already I don't blame Suarez. But the act is still cheating, that's a fact. Whether your bias makes you love him for it or not...it's against the rules and so it's cheating. I could never say in a serious discussion, that what Ole did that day was 100% okay. It wasn't.

Doubt there is anyone saying he isn't a JT, just saying that moment at the WC'10 wasn't a JT moment.

It was in my eyes, don't blantantly cheat like that in such a huge moment. Of course you would argue that he did it because it was such a huge moment. If it was me though I'd like to think I'd try and stop the ball with my head, if I didn't then oh well, it was clearly a good shot and deserved to be a goal. At least my team goes out with a bit of honour then.

FootballFan

I think we got confused there. I meant, if what he had done was 100% okay (Suarez) he wouldn't have got sent off.

Sure, but it's still the same principle. If you break a rule you break a rule, how can that ever be 100% okay.

If Vidic did that he would be wrong. Solskjaer actually did it years and years ago. He was applauded off the pitch by MUFC fans.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy...as I said already I don't blame Suarez. But the act is still cheating, that's a fact. Whether your bias makes you love him for it or not...it's against the rules and so it's cheating. I could never say in a serious discussion, that what Ole did that day was 100% okay. It wasn't.

Okay, well then I guess I will change my opinion to 80% okay. Also I don't have any bias on this subject, not Ghanaian, not Uruguayan and not a Liverpool supporter. Suarez is a JT I just don't think he was a JT for that moment. Just like all those ManUnited supporters that applauded Solskjaer as you say. He did it for the team and imo that shows that he is willing to sacrifice himself for the team and it is not just about himself.

Thierry Henry on the other hand eliminated Ireland and got away with blatant cheating, Suarez didn't get away with it and neither did Solskjaer.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Uruguay never impressed me, they got the easiest key at WC 2010 and got by Argentina in a penalty shootout (which everyone knows is a 50-50 chance) at Copa America. I don't see anything special about them. As of now the best teams in CONMEBOL are Chile and Argentina, Colombia is looking good they have a good coach in Pekerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom