• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
I agree with you, heck, I support a mid-table League Two team. If the proposal means that there are suddenly 20 new B teams flooding into the league system (which I'm concerned it does) then there's a problem. But if it's just say the big five teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Utd, 'Pool) putting out B teams, then I think it's an overreaction to say that it's going to spoil the heritage or opportunities of any of the 72 clubs currently in the Football League.

If anything it could help enhance the Football League if these B teams play in their parent club's stadium, imagine being an Exeter City or something and you get a day out at Old Trafford or Anfield, with a bigger crowd than you could ever expect to see at a normal League Two match. You might also be able to get to see PL stars playing against your club from time to time as well, if it's allowed. That normally only happens if you make it to the 3rd round of the Cup!

I actually disagree with this. I think it would weaken the competition at League Two and League One level, not strengthen it.

I'm not sure why you'd swap out a current League Two side for Chelsea reserves. How many people are you expecting to watch these B sides? Barca B play infront of no more than 2-3,000 home fans, don't they? Madrid even less? How many are you expecting to be at Stamford Bridge? How many are you expecting to make the return journey at your home game? And which clubs from League Two right now are you throwing under the bus to make this happen on the basis of an off chance that a half-established player turns up for 60 minutes? Burton Albion? York? Exeter? Wycombe? Plymouth? Portsmouth?

You're swapping out proper clubs at a competetive level of the game, competing with each other for genuine progression up the football league, in favour of pointless games in empty stadiums and away ends for the benefit of the Premier League.

Wilbur

Banned
The two players widely believed to be the best of all time - one is black and one is Latin. The real best player of all time, Dwight Yorke, is also black. Dat positive discrimination xoxo

Re: the B league stuff. I do think that a lot more Premier League youngsters should be on loan at competitive playing clubs instead of just reserve leagues, and I don't think it hinders any lower league club's progress to have a talented United youngster on loan (even the idea of a United coach going with them is a pretty sound one). But it wouldn't sit right with me that a club with a 100 year history could be relegated or miss out on promotion because we've just added a B side to one of their leagues.

It's like the City women's team, that shit is abhorrent that they were just thrown into the top division.

Clegg

Buttinho was an odd one, wasn't he.
He didn't have a place in the first team because he was basically Roy Keane minus the technical ability. And when you have two of the best central midfielders on the planet in Keane and Scholes ahead of you, playing time is going to be limited.

Wilbur

Banned
By the way, fantastic to see the thread having discussions like the race thing and the B-league thing. It's interesting stuff, everyone's posting intelligent, reasoned arguments for the most part. Best the thread's been in ages
since Gerrard fell over

L1NETT

I agree with Stan Collymore on this

Cleanse my sins

--

Sunset Overdrive looks right flippin good.

Also, Age of Mythology steam goes live this evening our time. Anyone? Roll up roll up

By the way, fantastic to see the thread having discussions like the race thing and the B-league thing. It's interesting stuff, everyone's posting intelligent, reasoned arguments for the most part. Best the thread's been in ages
since Gerrard fell over

Yet Wes doesn't trust us to edit people's tags for the World Cup flags. It's a fucking disgrace.

since Gerrard fell over

lol he slipped after he said the thing

Clegg

Might be a controversial opinion but I don't think this current crop of premier league midfielders can hold a candle to those of the late 90's and early 00's.

Keane, Vieira and Scholes were and still are untouchable.

Wilbur

Banned
Might be a controversial opinion but I don't think this current crop of premier league midfielders can hold a candle to those of the late 90's and early 00's.

Yaya's the only world class one. Fernandinho and Fellaini are close.

2008 was good

Prime Gerrard, prime Lampard, Scholes was still good, Fabregas was boss.

lvgfyjt4.gif

Clegg

Yaya's the only world class one. Fernandinho and Fellaini are close.
I'm not even sure about Toure tbh. I don't think he has really stamped his authority on European opposition like the others did. I know I probably shouldn't be comparing to players from a different time, but it's hard not to.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm not even sure about Toure tbh. I don't think he has really stamped his authority on European opposition like the others did. I know I probably shouldn't be comparing to players from a different time, but it's hard not to.

Well Vieira did fuck all in Europe

or are you just RACIST

Disappointingly, only one of my Moyes gifs managed to make it into Metro's stunning "David Moyes’ Manchester United career summed up in nine gifs" article.

Real news.

LTWheels

I agree with Stan Collymore on this

Cleanse my sins

--

Sunset Overdrive looks right flippin good.

Also, Age of Mythology steam goes live this evening our time. Anyone? Roll up roll up

Yeah it looks pretty good. I'm interested in AoM, might wait till Steam sale though not sure.

ibikrjJY0K8EEB.gif

imgSmYfEZDr9x.gif

i8mGwfj5rO2IO.gif

iwupSYmyRZrma.gif

Carbonox

Yet to see the big deal about Sunset Overdrive. OH MY COLOURS. No.

Insomniac are garbage these days. They'd have to go some colossal way to showing they can still make fantastic games.

Yet to see the big deal about Sunset Overdrive. OH MY COLOURS. No.

Insomniac are garbage these days. They'd have to go some colossal way to showing they can still make fantastic games.

I wasn't sure if my PS4-bias is preventing me from seeing what looks so good about it, but my only thought when watching that video was 'christ this looks slow'

LTWheels

I wasn't sure if my PS4-bias is preventing me from seeing what looks so good about it, but my only thought when watching that video was 'christ this looks slow'

I think the pace makes sense as you still have to aim and shoot a gun with the right stick, whilst grinding, jumping around etc.

WJD

SO looks pretty nice to me. Not arsed about technical stuff really. Only worry from those gifs is stiff animations.

Scum

I'm no good at this but surely a better thing to do would be for the FA :-

- To ensure EPL teams utilise their youth facilities to their utmost effiency.

- Allow for half season/full season loans for youngsters instead of one month or a few months here and there.

- Don't allow first teamers near youth players' footy unless is for tutoring reasons.

- Allow loaned youths/players to play against their clubs.

- Spend the money on getting some more fucking coaches in!

SO looks pretty nice to me. Not arsed about technical stuff really. Only worry from those gifs is stiff animations.

I just find shooting things while running on rails to be not very engaging or fun. Plenty of other games have done things like it and I didn't like those either.

Only difference here is that it's an open world, but when it comes to rails and essentially taking courses around the environment there's a huge onus for Insomniac to get the environment creation/design right. I have never seen anything to suggest they have the design chops to do so.

L1NETT

People want some good Xbone news.

Oh please, take this garbage to the youtube comments

Game look really good, fun, energetic colourful. Like Insomniac, looks like an open world game which is enjoyable unlike Infamous or Watch Dogs (looks like). It does look a bit stiff and wonky. But heh, that plus Horizon 2 and Halo 2 anni. Good lineup.

And Carbo, Resistance 3 was bloody brilliant. So poo you

Carbonox

Oh please, take this garbage to the youtube comments

Game look really good, fun, energetic colourful. Like Insomniac, looks like an open world game which is enjoyable unlike Infamous or Watch Dogs (looks like). It does look a bit stiff and wonky. But heh, that plus Horizon 2 and Halo 2 anni. Good lineup.

And Carbo, Resistance 3 was bloody brilliant. So poo you

Resistance 2 > Resistance 3, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom