• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For PC Gaf, do PS4 leaks mean I'll have to upgrade?

BigBooper

Pull out your crystal balls for a moment. With the info we know about PS5, and assuming Xbone2X will be similar, will I have to upgrade my pc next year to play modern games?

I'm using a 980ti and 6700k right now. I'm kind of hesitant to drop a grand on a new pc, when I'll almost certainly be getting a console too.

Last edited:

You mean PS5?

Also, dont update right now. Wait till Nvidia's next gen GPUs (Ampere), IMHO.

I have three rigs and I usually cycle down gpus. Just bought two 2070 supers to replace 1070s and a 780. So next year when nvidia releases their next GPU I’ll snag that and be all 2xxx and up finally.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
getting a new pc as the old new one didnt work as intended, are there estimates for when something like that's coming to europe?

Ampere will come in 2020. My guess would be late 2020.
Usually the absolute high end at the time of console release works fine for quite a few years post the launch and is capable of going toe to toe. Since the new consoles will target 4K, I would say Ampere GPUs would be a good bet to keep up or be even better at higher settings than consoles at 4K. Unfortunately, GPU technology growth has slowed down and we dont have that many options. I dont see many current GPUs doing highest setting at 4K post new consoles launch. Its a weird time.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
you should be more than fine if 1080p 60fps is your thing, tho you'll inevitably have to tune down some settings

Virex

Banned
No matter how powerful the PS5 and Nextbox will be at launch. The hardware will be dated when it releases and PC is miles ahead already even before those 2 launch. But wait till next year to upgrade your PC.

BigBooper

Has it ever been a good idea to upgrade a PC right before a new console generation starts?
I think in the past it has depended on the bang for your buck argument. Sales on previous gen cards at same time as release of mediocre cards at console launch. Then high performance cards for a better price come a year later.

Caffeine

always upgrade after the consoles drop like whatever new hardware comes out after them will keep you set for a bit.
Has it ever been a good idea to upgrade a PC right before a new console generation starts?
only if hardware is already outperforming the released machines by a large margin. roughly double.
after these consoles drop pc will be on rtx gen 3 cards. and cpus will be at some ungodly level.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yup. i had a similar set up:

6700K + GTX 1070 (pretty much same as a 980 Ti).

now I have a 9900K + RTX 2080. I can't see myself getting rid of the 9900K any time soon (8 cores/16 threads all running at 5.1GHz) but i might replace my 2080 if Nvidia have new cards out next year. We'll see.

a 9900K or Ryzen 3700X (minimum) will be get you through next gen. As long as you have 16-32GB RAM you'll be fine. Actually, if you want to stay ahead of next gen consoles I'd probably say just go for 32GB. to maintain 4k 60fps over the next 4-5 years you'll need the absolute best GPU you can buy. my 2080 struggles with 4k 60fps in some games and that's not even getting started on Raytracing.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The thing I’m most curious about is what the SSD’s will be like in these, the banter so far has made it seem like they’ll be far faster than currently available consumer ssd’s in the pc space, but I think that’s just a bunch of hot air.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I would say 8 core is minimum now if you want to keep up on the cpu side, 16GB ram and whatever gpu can do minimum of 60gos at your chosen resolution
6 minimum for a budget build. 4 cores still performs fine if you have one but i absolutely wouldn't recommend anyone to go out and buy one to use in a gaming system.

for a serious/high end system then 8 cores is a must.

10/12 or 16 cores at this point is a waste of money. you'd only get that many cores if you are using your PC for anything other than gaming. if you stream your games it might be worth going with a 10/12 core. a 16 core only if you do work on it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
New consoles are more dated than the newest hardware on the market anyway, so buy away.

Bought a 2070s cars together with a new i5 and lots of other stuff. Wouldn't fear anything cus that's already miles better than what PS5 or nexbox will have.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The thing I’m most curious about is what the SSD’s will be like in these, the banter so far has made it seem like they’ll be far faster than currently available consumer ssd’s in the pc space, but I think that’s just a bunch of hot air.
well, these new consoles are using Zen 2 architecture which supports PCIe 4.0. it's possible that the SSD they are including inside the next gen consoles will support those kinds of speeds.

a normal SATA 3 SSD will manage about 550MB/s. an NVME drive will do about 3.5GB/s. a 4.0 NVME drive can do up to 5GB/s.

4.0 drives run really hot on the drive itself and the chipset. they use more power too. cramming that into a small tiny case with crap airflow might not be the best idea. i think they will go with 3.0 nvme speeds.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Agree. I think it’s guff. But it’s all part of the fun.

Zimmy68

Wow, embarrassing thread title for just one character.
Can't the OTC edit the title?

Last edited:

DonF

Eventually, yes. Right now, don't worry. I would say that the first wave of titles will not be a threat to PCs, but 2 years in to the next gen, yes. For sure.

b0uncyfr0

It really depends on what the consoles can do. The X1 is hitting 4k/30 consistently on a 1060 + a shit tier cpu. With a decent AMD 8 thread CPU + something lower than a 5700 - 4k/60 fps at console settings i think, is doable.

That's something the 980ti / 6700k can not do without considerably lowering settings. The 6700k with an overclock is very good but the 980ti will hold you back somewhat ( Im assuming here you're a 60 fps gamer, If you're at 30 fps, then you're set for another 2-3 years)

Also, this is 100% the worst time to build a PC:

- New Consoles coming up so you can gauge what they do.
- AMD will kill off AM4 next year meaning the next CPU's released will be the last on that socket. If you buy now, you're locked into AM4 and then you cant upgrade without buying another motherboard.
- NV Ampere GPU's coming real soon which should increase price/perf ration as usual ( classic NV 10-15% )

Just wait it out.

Last edited:

Larogue

It really depends on what the consoles can do. The X1 is hitting 4k/30 consistently on a 1060 + a shit tier cpu. With a decent AMD 8 thread CPU + something lower than a 5700 - 4k/60 fps at console settings i think, is doable.

That's something the 980ti / 6700k can not do without considerably lowering settings. The 6700k with an overclock is very good but the 980ti will hold you back somewhat ( Im assuming here you're a 60 fps gamer, If you're at 30 fps, then you're set for another 2-3 years)

Also, this is 100% the worst time to build a PC:

- New Consoles coming up so you can gauge what they do.
- AMD will kill off AM4 next year meaning the next CPU's released will be the last on that socket. If you buy now, you're locked into AM4 and then you cant upgrade without buying another motherboard.
- NV Ampere GPU's coming real soon which should increase price/perf ration as usual ( classic NV 10-15% )

Just wait it out.
Next Ryzen (7mm+) will be the last one to use AM4.

So Ryzen 3 can be swapped to Ryzen 4 using the same motherboard.

And I don't suggest waiting for next year (2020).

Because it will be an awkward year to upgrade, given the year after it (2021 or Possibly late 2020) both Intel and AMD (AM5) will release DDR5 motherboards. Rendering his setup outdated.

Last edited:

SNG32

I'm not even considering upgrading my pc until the PS5, Xbox Scarlett and Nintendo Switch 2 drop. I should be able to get through medium to high settings until all three have dropped.

b0uncyfr0

Because it will be an awkward year to upgrade, given the year after it (2021 or Possibly late 2020) both Intel and AMD (AM5) will release DDR5 motherboards. Rendering his setup outdated.

There is no info atm that DDR5 boards aren't coming next year but even if they dont, id say only a year or slightly more away. Id wait a year with the potential to use a new socket + at least 3 generations of CPU's + DDR5 (AMD is good ilke that) than being limited to a 3xxx/4xxx on AM4 with DDR4.

His current rig is more than enough for a year - It's just not worth it to upgrade.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, you will definitely have to upgrade, unless you want to deal with lower performance/settings.

The games will be written to a higher baseline, with higher requirements, and high/ultra/whatever will do more than they do now. PC gamers will whine and moan about the games being "unoptimized" but we see this every generation.

I would wait until ports of those new PS5 games start coming out, to see what they are asking for and what they are doing.

Intel may be skipping PCIe 4 and go for PCIe5. I'd wait till at least 2020 or 2021 to update to see that's true. They've claimed that PCIe4 is not really all that great, which could be PR, but who knows.

manfestival

Really can't see any reason to upgrade personally. I have a 2080 and there really needs to be a jump maybe about the same as a 2080ti or higher at a similar price point to justify spending money any time soon.

GymWolf

I have the same question in mind, is my poor i5 8600k not enough for the next gen? At least for the first 1-2 years...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm on a 6700k and 1080. Will definitely upgrade to an 8+ core CPU and a high-end GPU with ray-tracing capabilities when the time comes.

Ogbert

Yeah, I'm on a 6700k and 1080. Will definitely upgrade to an 8+ core CPU and a high-end GPU with ray-tracing capabilities when the time comes.

For me, I will only really update when 60fps becomes noticeably difficult to achieve. With G-synch, that's ok to mid-50s. I'm on a 2070 at the moment and can fiddle most settings to a combination of medium / high and keep closer to 100fps than 60.

I've always thought the comparison between console and PC is fundamentally flawed, because the latter is about frame rates, the former is about resolution.

BigBooper

Next Ryzen (7mm+) will be the last one to use AM4.

So Ryzen 3 can be swapped to Ryzen 4 using the same motherboard.

And I don't suggest waiting for next year (2020).

Because it will be an awkward year to upgrade, given the year after it (2021) both Intel and AMD (AM5) will release DDR5 motherboards. Rendering his setup outdated.
See this stuff is what I'm talking about. A bunch of info to keep in mind. Thanks for the input all. I'm leaning towards just limping along until something burns out. Guess I'll just wait and see.

joe_zazen

See this stuff is what I'm talking about. A bunch of info to keep in mind. Thanks for the input all. I'm leaning towards just limping along until something burns out. Guess I'll just wait and see.

that is what i am doing. It looks like the memory system (including nvme ssd) will be revolutionary as far as game design goes, so i want to know what that is all about and whether current pc tech can keep up or if i’ll have to wait. I think we will only know once the tech specs are out and actual game devs/pc hardware manufacturers can comment.

12 months will be gone in a flash, so waiting is no biggie to me, but holy shit does my computer feel ancient.

Shifty1897

Pull out your crystal balls for a moment. With the info we know about PS5, and assuming Xbone2X will be similar, will I have to upgrade my pc next year to play modern games?

I'm using a 980ti and 6700k right now. I'm kind of hesitant to drop a grand on a new pc, when I'll almost certainly be getting a console too.

You'll need to upgrade within the next 14 months. In my opinion, we're already in the next console generation. Recent releases like Control and Ghost Recon Breakpoint are basically unplayable on the base consoles. Hell even Nintendo is releasing games that have performance issues.

Shifty

PC hardware rolls at its own pace. The games might be more demanding come next gen, but a 6700k / 980ti combo is still pretty damn beefy compared to the ceiling being set by current-gen consoles, and will probably be quite adequate for the ceiling that will be set by next-gen ones.

I guess raytracing might have some effect, depending on whether game devs go all-in to the point where next-gen PC ports need it to look good or function at all. I have my doubts about that though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom