• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Pete's sake, is COD : Ghosts coming to WiiU or not?

kinggroin

Banned
You can't play every online game mode in the Wii U version of Blops 2 and it has nothing to do with Activision or lazy devs. I'd call that pretty damn gimped imo.

Agreed.

Still my favorite version outside the PC one, thanks to co-op online without having to split screen. All I play is TD or the one where you escalate weapons. Usually hardcore mode too.

Haven't had a single issue getting full rooms in those modes thankfully.

Edit: to the other guy suggesting the gamer plays in a different room. Well, sometimes you want that body pressed against you while playing. Even if it's an unconscious one.

hatchx

Banned
Another important thing is COD on wii/wiiU is really the sole home of IR-controlled competitive FPS. A ton of people play with IR controls online.

Vire

Agreed.

Still my favorite version outside the PC one, thanks to co-op online without having to split screen. All I play is TD or the one where you escalate weapons. Usually hardcore mode too.

Haven't had a single issue getting full rooms in those modes thankfully.

Edit: to the other guy suggesting the gamer plays in a different room. Well, sometimes you want that body pressed against you while playing. Even if it's an unconscious one.
I really have zero problem with the version itself.

It's the fact that literally I don't know one person in real life who owns a Wii U and I rather jab a fork into my eye than play with random pubbies in a first person shooter.

Madness

Is Pete the only Wii U owner?

mj-laughing.gif

The game itself: probably

DLC for it: ......................................................................................................................

th

must know.

I think Activision will release it, just don't think it'll get much publicity, and it'll most likely be very under-supported.

PSGames

I'm not sure Nintendo really gets it. They should have money hatted or flat out paid for the development of GTA5 and ghosts. And subsidized marketing efforts for the superior wii U version of these games. A definitive version of any of these would have been huge system sellers. What are they thinking??

Drakeon

I'm not sure Nintendo really gets it. They should have money hatted or flat out paid for the development of GTA5 and ghosts. And subsidized marketing efforts for the superior wii U version of these games. A definitive version of any of these would have been huge system sellers. What are they thinking??

Unlikely. Why buy a new system for a game you can get on your current system? Having GTA V would've been nice, but not if it cost them a ton of money. It'd still sell way more on PS3/360 regardless.

Yuripaw

Banned
I know a lot of gaf hates gamestop, but I work at one where I actually had a few folks come up to the register and ask if they could preorder Ghosts for Wii U, and because it's not even announced for the system, it's not in our computer to preorder so i couldn't help those people =/ seriously, WTF activision?

EDarkness

Most likely it's coming, which is good and as much as I don't want to do it, I'll probably buy it due to IR. However, Activision needs work something out with Nintendo so that we can get DLC. People can say it doesn't matter, but the Black Ops 2 Miiverse was filled constantly with people waiting and wanting new maps. Anyone who was serious about playing the game would simply avoid the Wii U version because it wasn't supported the same as the other versions. I imagine it was easier for people to swallow with the Wii, so there were a lot players who were fine with the same maps, but this wasn't the case for the Wii U where everyone knew it was possible. All Activision would say was they weren't sure, etc.

Now, before people say that it was a matter of the userbase, one does have to ask what Activision games are even on the eShop? I think this is the main reason why there is no DLC for the Wii U. If they can't even get their games on the eShop for purchase, then why would they go whole-hog into offering DLC for ANY of their games. So I hope they figure something out with Nintendo like Warner Bros. did with Injustice.

Yeah, I'm still bitter I didn't get my Nuke Town map.

How well did Blops II sell on Wii U? I'm assuming it did okay since it's the biggest gaming franchise right now (or at least among the biggest), but did it do enough to warrant Ghosts? I see this question come up a lot, but I never see anyone actually talking about Blops II sales.

How was Blops II Wii U multi anyway? Ghost town? Okay?

Here are some figures:

Black Ops II (Wii U version) NPD rankings (USA sales) for the first four months:

November 2012 - #4 for Wii U Software
December 2012 - #7 for Wii U Software
January 2013 - #5 for Wii U Software
February 2013 - #5 for Wii U Software (sales are still <100,000 at this point)

That should give you an idea of how the game sold...i.e. not well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Typically in these situations its the publisher waiting/holding out/negotiating/blackmailing? the platform holder for some kind of incentive to help guarantee profitbility. Acti likely just waiting to see if they can get a comarketing deal in place with noa before any announcement.

Typically in these situations its the publisher waiting/holding out/negotiating/blackmailing? the platform holder for some kind of incentive to help guarantee profitbility. Acti likely just waiting to see if they can get a comarketing deal in place with noa before any announcement.

This sort of thing seems to happen every year, to varying degrees though. If a Wii version is announced early, then there's no footage shown until someone snaps a photo of the back of the box, etc. Ever since World at War, there's been some weird blackout regarding CoD on Nintendo systems.

StevieP

Banned

Blackmailing is a good word for what's going on with Activision these days, yes.

This sort of thing seems to happen every year, to varying degrees though. If a Wii version is announced early, then there's no footage shown until someone snaps a photo of the back of the box, etc. Ever since World at War, there's been some weird blackout regarding CoD on Nintendo systems.

LOL that was the first COD on Wii too

edit: forgot COD3, first popular COD (after COD4's popularity)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
LOL that was the first COD on Wii too

The marketing team likely doesn't want Wii assets out there since it looks inferior to their primary console versions, and they sell the game on their graphics. Wii version screens and trailers would diminish impact if media picked it up or if casual gamers just googled image searched the game and they pop.

They also have had various marketing arrangements with MS in the past

Daingurse

The fact that this game's status is so up in the air is appalling. Announce the shit or say it's not in production already. You know what kind of market to expect Activision, accept it or cut your losses. Don't leave Wii-U brothas hanging, lol.

MercuryLS

Banned

Why would anyone buy these games for wii u? People will either buy them for their existing consoles or get the better looking ps4 or Xbox one versions.

StevieP

Banned
Why would anyone buy these games for wii u? People will either buy them for their existing consoles or get the better looking ps4 or Xbox one versions.

Why buy any multiplatform game for any console, with this line of logic? It will generally be inferior.

Tenken

Neo Member
Yes but there's no Nuke Town map for pre-ordering and also it sucks so who cares.

I want it to come out just for the numbers.
No season pass support, no DLC support is my theory. Injustice did it because it was just a bundle but what other game has had a rolling entitlement to all DLC?

I'd rather have to buy all the DLC individually than not at all.

Also, we don't even get updates.

Doubters just ignoring the Official Nintendo Magazine thing with Ghosts previewed in it...?

Yes, because it's ONM..the same magazine that ran a feature of a supposed hands-on playtest with the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed before anyone had ever seen it and used 360 version screenshots, complete with captions, and described everything anyone who had seen the trailer already knew.

Among other things.

Shauni

Yes, because it's ONM..the same magazine that ran a feature of a supposed hands-on playtest with the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed before anyone had ever seen it and used 360 version screenshots, complete with captions, and described everything anyone who had seen the trailer already knew.

Among other things.

Ah, so not reliable then? Well, didn't know, never really read anything from it.

Cheech

Yeah, I'm still bitter I didn't get my Nuke Town map.

Eh? That is crazy. My kid and I play BO2 split screen constantly, and he plays with his buddies, and that's the map that gets played 50% of the time. (360)

My guess is that Activision, as a result of Nintendo's policies, is really putting the screws to you guys. I honestly don't know why you'd pay them money for this game, or even anticipate the next one given the fact you didn't even get one of the best multiplayer maps in the game!

Personally, we sold our Wii U and put the credit down on a PS4. Nintendo developed games just aren't as compelling to my peeps as they once were, and keeping it to play third party games is just asking to get Nuketown'ed repeatedly.

Khaz

I wouldn't mind buying a CoD on Wii U because I want to play local multiplayer and because I want pointer controls. I have a PC but there's no local multi on that version.

I doubled dipped on PC and Wii for cods last gen. And I'm not even a cod fan! The controls with IR are much better than the other consoles. That was my point. The Wii u still has these pointer controls.

Yep. Any "decent" FPS on the Wii U with IR will get my money. It's really as simple as that. Off topic, but with as long as Deus Ex is taking, they could have added IR easily.

So, about these pointer controls (which I love), did anyone manage to make a good FPS with good controls? I stayed away from Wii FPS apart from Metroid Prime 3 because I assumed the controls would be half-assed if made by any other company than Nintendo. Was I right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If they decided to bring the game I would hope they would work on performance. I purchased Black Ops 2 on Wii U last time and was highly disappointing with the obscenely unstable framerate. While the image quality is a tad better than the PS3 version the framerate was worse than any of the others. It was a mess at points.

I did enjoy the dual screen play option, though. Very neat idea but the hardware wasn't up to the task of running it smoothly.

So, about these pointer controls (which I love), did anyone manage to make a good FPS with good controls? I stayed away from Wii FPS apart from Metroid Prime 3 because I assumed the controls would be half-assed if made by any other company than Nintendo. Was I right?
Yes they did. Killzone 3.

The implementation of Move controls into Killzone 3 are SO good, in fact, that I actually enjoy playing it as a result of the controls more than anything else. Also, playing in 3D using the Sony HMD mixed with Move (which looks ridiculous) is super immersive.

Seriously, it plays brilliantly.

Weng

What modes are not available and why?
Because no one is playing some of the modes. You could only play Headquarters on the Double XP WE for Headquarters because that was the only time there were enough people in the mode to get a game started.

Top Bottom