• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes crowns Beyoncé winner, Lady Gaga loser of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy ARTPOP.

tumblr_inline_my3h0l8zbs1r5swg5.gif

tumblr_inline_my1fz8eggT1r5swg5.jpg

Fey

Banned
how did artpop do?

Sold 260k in its first week - less than Beyonce's, Katy's, Miley's, Rihanna's, and Madonna's last efforts' first weeks.

It's 2nd week drop was 82%/83% - the biggest drop of 2013, and the 4th biggest drop of all time.

After its first week, its weekly sales have been less than the Duck Dynasty Christmas album.

Critical reception has also been very low - 61 on Metacritic compared to 71, 78, and 71 from her first three albums.

Sold 260k in its first week - less than Beyonce's, Katy's, Miley's, Rihanna's, and Madonna's last efforts' first weeks.

It's 2nd week drop was 82%/83% - the biggest drop of 2013, and the 4th biggest drop of all time.

After its first week, its weekly sales have been less than the Duck Dynasty Christmas album.

Critical reception has also been very low - 61 on Metacritic compared to 71, 78, and 71 from her first three albums.
wtf what happened?she was huge i remember.

Eleuin

man what the hell happened

Mumei

the latest one hit wonder who will disappear next year

I hope she learns how to sing. I don't know why people give her a pass for this.

*shudders*

And to think, I had hopes after hearing her on the radio. I was so disappointed. :(

man what the hell happened

I suspect most diagnoses will focus on her habit of overhyping (and underdelivering), of making her albums seem like world-historical events, the general public losing interest in her / her antics as evidenced by her failure to break through the noise the way Miley or Lorde managed, the fact that none of the songs on the album are as radio friendly as some of her previous hits, or the fact that she appeared to be on a downward trend anyway from the heights of The Fame Monster and the beginning of the Born This Way era.

Something like that.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I love how Gaga can be considered "loser" when she was the #2 highest music earner last year with my girl Madonna at #1. What was Beyonce at, like 5 or 6? Haha! It is EXHAUSTING to hear Bey-stans constantly try and insult Gaga when they'll turn on Bey the moment she has another flop.
Anyways Artpop is the best album of 2013 in my opinion <3

Their point about Beyonce not using the "machine" is a bit of a red herring - she doesn't need to, because she's spent 15 years getting famous by using the machine.

I hope she learns how to sing. I don't know why people give her a pass for this.

*shudders*

And to think, I had hopes after hearing her on the radio. I was so disappointed. :(

I suspect most diagnoses will focus on her habit of overhyping (and underdelivering), of making her albums seem like world-historical events, the general public losing interest in her / her antics as evidenced by her failure to break through the noise the way Miley or Lorde managed, the fact that none of the songs on the album are as radio friendly as some of her previous hits, or the fact that she appeared to be on a downward trend anyway from the heights of The Fame Monster and the beginning of the Born This Way era.

Something like that.

It's not supposed to sound grungy?

Never heard this song before lemme hear the youtube version...

Oooooohhh. I see.

Mumei

It's not supposed to sound grungy?

Never heard this song before lemme hear the youtube version...

Oooooohhh. I see.

I don't really know what "grungy" means, since I've never really listened to grunge (sorry!), but I'm talking about the fact that she's completely unsupported and keeps losing her breath in the middle of laughably easy lines. That's not a style; that's just singing badly.

But yes, you've heard the the studio version and it's much cleaner and more recognizable.

I don't really know what "grungy" means, since I've never really listened to grunge (sorry!), but I'm talking about the fact that she's completely unsupported and keeps losing her breath in the middle of laughably easy lines. That's not a style; that's just singing badly.

But yes, you've heard the the studio version and it's much cleaner and more recognizable.

Yeah, cleaner. That performance sounded raw/dirty haha sorry not good at describing pop singing.

norinrad

I don't get why Lady Gaga feels the need to dress herself up in such weird ways. She's trying to be edgy but it just comes off as silly (or in this case, creepy).

She wants to be like Grace Jones who is far out of her league when it comes to being weird plus Grace is androgyny which makes her awesome. Gaga or whoever is just a wannabe has been.

Grace-Jones-Zula-02.jpg

Effect

I don't know what to make of Gaga anymore. The act was interesting at first and now it's just down right sad. She doesn't need to it.

Stefan™;95351476 said:
Good for Beyonce. I still prefer Artpop over her self-titled album.

iJJo2GvKpf8yb.gif

What the hell is going on in the picture?

Their point about Beyonce not using the "machine" is a bit of a red herring - she doesn't need to, because she's spent 15 years getting famous by using the machine.

That's not really how the industry works. No matter how famous you've gotten over a timespan, you always fizzle out at some point while the next person takes the spotlight. There's dozens of artists who've probably been more famous than Beyonce at some point in their career who couldn't really duplicate what she's done.

norinrad

That's not really how the industry works. No matter how famous you've gotten over a timespan, you always fizzle out at some point while the next person takes the spotlight. There's dozens of artists who've probably been more famous than Beyonce at some point in their career who couldn't really duplicate what she's done.

Beyonce will also eventually go away and I thank God for that. I listen to MJ in my car and i will be listening to MJ 20 years from now. I doubt i want to hear anything made by Beyonce even next year

Christopher

Gaga needs to get some radio friendly hits...why not work with Max Martin.

Also she went from being creative fun with her style to being downright disgusting and unmarketable.

The tears of Gaga fans are luxurious while Whitney has passed down the crown
ib13VVDZFLh7tD.gif

A new 17-year-old indie pop sensation from New Zealand. Her hit song Royals SLAYED the charts staying #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for two months and has recently received 4 Grammy Nominations (including Song and Record of the Year). Her excellent debut album Pure Heroine went gold and received very favorable reviews from music critics. In other words, the LORDE and Savior of pop is here.

big.gif

That's creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom