• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes crowns Beyoncé winner, Lady Gaga loser of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Mage

Then why oh why does every radio mix everywhere get that many gaga's songs ? I personally can't stand her voice or music. It is cringe worthy.
Miley and Beyoncé are awesome. Perry even. Gaga is killing my ears.

Eww. I may not care for Gaga or Beyonce, but I actively hate Perry's music. Half the time she'll fudge a song with noises rather than trying to make things actually rhyme.

lmpaler

Lordi.jpg

Lordi fucking rules.

On topic, my girlfriend said Beyonce's new album sucked ass so I guess it is a matter of opinion.

royalan

Lorde is easily the most overrated artist to come out in the last decade.

Royals is a hot track, don't get me wrong, but I have NEVER listened to such a whiny album before in my life. Every track except for maybe two is nothing but her nonstop bitching/gloating about how she's not one of the "popular kids" on top of half-baked production.

The girl is absolutely insufferable. One of those people who takes pride in their "otherness" and believes that to be the reason the popular crowd scorns them, all the while not realizing that the real reason nobody likes them is because they use their otherness as a means to be smug assholes.

Malvingt2

Royals is a hot track, don't get me wrong, but I have NEVER listened to such a whiny album before in my life. Every track except for maybe two is nothing but her nonstop bitching/gloating about how she's not one of the "popular kids" on top of half-baked production.

The girl is absolutely insufferable. One of those people who takes pride in their "otherness" and believes that to be the reason the popular crowd scorns them, all the while not realizing that the real reason nobody likes them is because they use their otherness as a means to be smug assholes.

I need to get the album asap.

And she's racist.

Monocle

Can you suggest a way she could have made the same social commentary without coming off as smug?

royalan

Can you suggest a way she could have made the same social commentary without coming off as smug?

Maybe by not being so judgmental and patronizing toward a group she perceives as being more privileged than her while still trying to assume the position of underdog. And maybe not doing this across the span of an entire album?

Why is Forbes commenting on music for 15 year old girls?

I wasn't aware that this was a One Direction thread.

Monocle

Maybe by not being so judgmental and patronizing toward a group she perceives as being more privileged than her while still trying to assume the position of underdog. And maybe not doing this across the span of an entire album?
What I'm getting at is, it seems to me that you're suggesting it's impossible to criticize a group without opening yourself to the charge of being smug, judgmental, and patronizing. Criticism is inherently judgmental and negative to some degree, so if you define smugness as exhibiting a sense of superiority, and you believe acting superior involves making a negative statement about some party, you've set up a catch-22 where criticism itself is nothing but ego fuel. You dismiss all critical commentary as invalid without taking time to consider the message.

I only bring this up because Lorde's criticism of celebrity culture and other social issues strikes me as timely and on point, and particularly relevant to what I assume is her target audience of teenagers and young adults.

royalan

What I'm getting at is, it seems to me that you're suggesting it's impossible to criticize a group without opening yourself to the charge of being smug, judgmental, and patronizing. Criticism is inherently judgmental and negative to some degree, so if you define smugness as exhibiting a sense of superiority, and you believe acting superior involves making a negative statement about some party, you've set up a catch-22 where criticism itself is nothing but ego fuel. You dismiss all critical commentary as invalid without taking time to consider the message.

I only bring this up because Lorde's criticism of celebrity culture and other social issues strikes me as timely and on point, and particularly relevant to what I assume is her target audience of teenagers and young adults.

You're largely analyzing the quality of Lorde's commentary. I'm more referring to the quality of her album. The body of work itself. In the context of Lorde's album, I don't need 10+ tracks of whining about self-imposed isolation.

One has to also wonder how good her commentary could be about a group she feels so completely not apart of.

Monocle

You're largely analyzing the quality of Lorde's commentary. I'm more referring to the quality of her album. The body of work itself. In the context of Lorde's album, I don't need 10+ tracks of whining about self-imposed isolation.

One has to also wonder how good her commentary could be about a group she feels so completely not apart of.
I feel like you're moving the goalposts a bit, but never mind. Criticism is practically custom made for people on the outside looking in. I mean, historically, you find the elites are almost always the targets of satire. It's a big subject, and I don't want to get off track here, but the point is that isolation or separateness is actually the ideal condition for insightful critique. Not to say that all criticism from outsiders is necessarily valuable.

Sayah

Just looking at the album cover for artpoop made me wish it failed. If that isn't attention whoring, then I don't know what is.

royalan

I feel like you're moving the goalposts a bit, but never mind. Criticism is practically custom made for people on the outside looking in. I mean, historically, you find the elites are almost always the targets of satire. It's a big subject, and I don't want to get off track here, but the point is that isolation or separateness is actually the ideal condition for insightful critique. Not to say that all criticism from outsiders is necessarily valuable.

Ding ding ding.

I don't particularly view any of Lorde's critique of consumerism in pop culture as valuable or insightful. In fact a lot of it walks down a well-worn road. I can also see why the claims of Lorde being racist might have some merit, even if she's not consciously a racist.

And when you disagree with what Lorde's made her central premise (glorification of the "less cool" kids) all you're left with is...well, a repetitive and shit album.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Someone who's not interested in looking bang-able on a constant? I know, rare in today's music.

I'm glad Gaga's being called the "loser" for this year. It shows that 1) she's still the standard the public uses in assigning quality and success in the pop music business, and 2) when she hits back in the next album cycle it'll probably make her "win" that much more visible. The question, however, is whether the public would ever want to call her a "winner" regardless of how her album does.

People like to put this woman down because she's not cooperative. She doesn't react to people calling her ugly by looking like a girl next door, she doesn't react to people calling her avant-garde by staying away from the word "art." Rather, she dials it UP. She's the only woman in pop music since probably peak-era Madonna that insists on doing her own damn thing, haters be damned. It's easy to put her down because she's not interested in fighting back. She's got the largest and most loyal fan base in pop music today and as long as she keeps them satisfied then she could give two shits about what editorials like this have to say. Oh, and not to mention she and Madonna are the highest earning women in the world today. She'll be fine.

PREACH Soulscribe <3 <3 <3

SO well stated, and it's no coincidence that Gaga and Madonna are 2 of my 3 fave celebs <3 (the 3rd is Chris Evans *drool*) The haters are very loud and keep screaming about Gaga's downfall, but don't kid yourselves, Gaga isn't going ANYWHERE.

IceCold

By 2015, Lady Gaga will become a contestant on Dancing with the Stars, and by 2020, she'll be on The Biggest Loser.

Into

It was always under my impression that Gaga became huge because she had a ton of radio friendly and club friendly songs, Pokerface, Just Dance etc. The singles she has put out in her recent album ive yet to hear in a single club, they are never played, typically some remixes are sometimes required to get things really going but i dunno.

Yet to hear her even once

In Beyonce's case, last song i heard in clubs a ton was Naughty Girl and that is...10 years ago almost

Madness

Who the F is Lorde?

Me neither man. Makes me wonder just how out of the loop and demographic I've now become. I don't even remember really hearing this royals song once. And I have the radio on in the car a few times if I don't have my mp3 playing. Though I live in Canada so maybe it's a bit different. It's crazy though how quickly celebrities are manufactured in the US these days. The days of the one hit wonder are long gone because they'll turn that one hit into a career.

I'll also say I don't think I've heard one song from Beyonce recently but I have heard that Applause song from Gaga and saw some Beats ad for another song of hers.

Can we focus on this....this "dance" a bit?

what is that

The start of an epileptic seizure brought on by drug abuse as she tries to find the rhythm of the beat that left her 3 hours ago while thinking in her mind she's a great dancer. She has decided that channeling Gollum from LOTR would be a great dance routine; all the while trying to reassure her audience with her facial expressions that she's okay. However underneath that veil of confidence her face is saying something else entirely&#8230;&#8220;How the hell did I even get here?!&#8221;

Slayven

The start of an epileptic seizure brought on by drug abuse as she tries to find the rhythm of the beat that left her 3 hours ago while thinking in her mind she's a great dancer while channeling Gollum from LOTR; all the while trying to reassure her audience with her facial expressions that she's okay. But underneath that veil of confidence her face is saying something else…“How the hell did I even get here?!”

Go back to the secret world, you are drunk.

The start of an epileptic seizure brought on by drug abuse as she tries to find the rhythm of the beat that left her 3 hours ago while thinking in her mind she's a great dancer. She has decided that channeling Gollum from LOTR would be a great dance routine; all the while trying to reassure her audience with her facial expressions that she's okay. However underneath that veil of confidence her face is saying something else entirely…“How the hell did I even get here?!”

Amazing.

The funny thing is dancing ("choreia") is usually associated with nervous disorders, so seizures could look like unorthodox dance moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom