• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes crowns Beyoncé winner, Lady Gaga loser of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

I liked Gaga's new album a lot. I don't generally like pop but consistently enjoy her music. Don't care too much about the 'diva spotlight'

I don't get why Lady Gaga feels the need to dress herself up in such weird ways. She's trying to be edgy but it just comes off as silly (or in this case, creepy).

Because as Stefani Germanotta she got nowhere.

Shame, as she's smoking hot when she's not trying to be weird.

Stefani+Germanotta+Band+gaga+6.jpg

pants

On a personal note to me, Stone Temple Pilots are the big losers of the year. A pity as they are my favorite band.

DR2K

Banned
Lorde and Miley Cyrus are fucking terrible. Beyonce did good with the surprise album thing, but Gaga had a great year all round. It's like if she isn't unanimously number 1 in everything she's failed. So silly.

Enosh

Lorde and Miley Cyrus are fucking terrible. Beyonce did good with the surprise album thing, but Gaga had a great year all round. It's like if she isn't unanimously number 1 in everything she's failed. So silly.
well if you are going for number 1 and fail then you well, failed

Servbot24

Banned
Jesus, this guy's opinion on modern rock could not seem more pretentious.

I'm sorry, but Fall Out Boy, Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Mumford & Sons, and The Lumineers and others all had a solid year. Just because you don't like the current definition of "rock" doesn't mean the entire genre's dead
It would honestly be difficult for me to put together a more wretched group of artists than what you listed. Maddeningly terrible music. There is plenty of good rock out there though.

Blackhead

Redarse
how is this art

9766409e78756a5a51632a472652d2f0_14393.jpg

I suspect most diagnoses will focus on her habit of overhyping (and underdelivering), of making her albums seem like world-historical events, the general public losing interest in her / her antics as evidenced by her failure to break through the noise the way Miley or Lorde managed, the fact that none of the songs on the album are as radio friendly as some of her previous hits, or the fact that she appeared to be on a downward trend anyway from the heights of The Fame Monster and the beginning of the Born This Way era.

Something like that.

Because as Stefani Germanotta she got nowhere.

Shame, as she's smoking hot when she's not trying to be weird.

Stefani+Germanotta+Band+gaga+6.jpg

It'd be interesting if Gaga tries to replicate Beyonce's success with a self titled 5th album using the Stephanie persona

Prine

Banned
Hehe so much respect for Beyonce, shes been in the game this long and shows everyone how its done without resorting to cheap over the top, persona tricks. Even better to hear Gaga fading each year. She wont hit the highs she once did.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lorde, IMO, seems more and more carefully cultivated the more she protests that she's not cultivated at all. She's just the latest centre of pop gravity for people who are looking for someone 'real', but she'll lose that edge as her success grows, like everyone else in her position before. And I'm not desperately keen on her vocal.

So there.

I also liked ArtPop and Beyonce. So double there.

Monocle

I kind of like all of the people mentioned there. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Hmm...

lol gaga, that tramp got WRECKED, good riddance bitch, i drove to a construction zone and artplopped your turd into the raunchiest outhouse i could find

Aww yeah Forbes, I get it now. I see why you did it.

Majmun

Hehe so much respect for Beyonce, shes been in the game this long and shows everyone how its done without resorting to cheap over the top, persona tricks. Even better to hear Gaga fading each year. She wont hit the highs she once did.

Yep, Beyoncé has been in the industry since 1998 and people are still interested in her.

Gaga relies too much on gimmicks. And we know how long those last.

HINT: not long
iW19iNi4uKJrG.gif

Monocle

Yep, Beyoncé has been in the industry since 1998 and people are still interested in her.

Gaga relies too much on gimmicks. And we know how long those last.

HINT: not long
iW19iNi4uKJrG.gif
She writes songs, she can actually sing, and she's in good with almost everyone who matters in the record and fashion industries. I feel like she'll do alright. Especially in a culture that goes totally fuckballs for celebrities and spectacles and fads. I mean, reinvention is sort of her thing.

Every time I hear her sit down at a piano and just sing, I'm impressed. Even if she manages to burn all her bridges and destroy her commercial prospects with major labels, I don't see her going away. She's made enough of a name for herself that she could go the indie route, scale back her...well, everything, and coast on her talent and established fanbase with the power of the internets.

I don't give a shit about any of these vapid, soulless artists, but I'll certainly remember Lady Gaga this year for her having her entire ass out during that one awards ceremony.

Mumei

Sounded fine to me. A little shaky in a few parts but its to be expected when she's been performing on live TV for such a short time.

Eh. She wasn't just shaky; she hardly went a line without being glaringly off-pitch, and her voice fell out when she wasn't even doing difficult things. She can't sing live because she's not very good at singing; it's not because she hasn't been performing on live TV wrong. I've listened to her singing in acoustic settings, on radio shows, in informal settings, and she always has these issues.

are the hive and navy back together since BEYONCÉ?

I hope so

Oh, well. You know. They're as passive aggressive towards each other as they ever were. Frenemy stanbases.

Maybe because she's a 16 year old girl?

Hey, sixteen year old girls can be good singers.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
are the hive and navy back together since BEYONCÉ?

I hope so

the navy are busy trying to pretend they weren't dragging bey for filth for the last nine months, pretending they aren't steam pressed over the power of the beynami, and begrudgingly admitting that bey just snatched the wig of every bitch in the business

so more or less, yes

Slayven

Maybe because she's a 16 year old girl?
She si 16? That is hard 16, I thought she was late 20s to 30s.

the navy are busy trying to pretend they weren't dragging bey for filth for the last nine months, pretending they aren't steam pressed over the power of the beynami, and begrudgingly admitting that bey just snatched the wig of every bitch in the business

so more or less, yes

What about Clara?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lorde's vocal style reminds me of Cher Lloyd. Disguises a lot in low 'talking', limits the more challenging stuff as much as possible.

Sorcerer

I wonder if the Muppet's will cast Gaga out and go with Beyonce for a tv special next year?

A Beyonce Muppet Family Xmas. Featuring Blue Ivy and Jay-Z.

th

th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom