• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billboard: Lady Gaga Is Replacing Beyoncé at Coachella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7709042/lady-gaga-replace-beyonce-coachella

Officials are finalizing plans to bring the singer's huge stage production to the Empire Polo Grounds.

Lady Gaga will headline both weekends of Coachella, Billboard has learned, replacing Beyoncé, who postponed her performance after announcing she was pregnant with twins. Gaga will fill in for Beyoncé on consecutive Saturday nights (April 15 and 22) at Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Calif. Officials with festival organizers Goldenvoice and AEG Live are finalizing plans to bring Gaga's huge stage production to Coachella and will make the announcement in the coming days, say sources.

The high-profile replacement comes just five days after representatives for Beyoncé informed AEG's Goldenvoice that the "Formation" singer would not be performing at North America's highest-grossing annual festival based on her doctor's advice; Beyoncé could have been in the third trimester of her pregnancy during the double-weekend billing. Beyoncé will instead perform at Coachella in 2018.

Lady Gaga will add the double Coachella slot to her already busy 2017 tour schedule, announced shortly after her critically acclaimed performance at Super Bowl LI in Houston. Gaga's Joanne World Tour kicks off Aug. 1 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C., and includes three nights at the Forum in Los Angeles as well as stops at iconic stadiums like Wrigley Field in Chicago, Citi Field in New York and Fenway Park in Boston.

It was important to Coachella organizers that a female performer replace Beyoncé, insiders tell Billboard, making Gaga the first woman to headline Coachella since Björk in 2007.

Lady Gaga will be joined at Coachella by fellow headliners Radiohead and Kendrick Lamar, as well as the XX, Bon Iver, Future, Lorde and Justice. The festival runs April 14-16 and April 21-23.

Billboard has reached out to Gaga's rep for comment.

Gaga's second only to Beyoncé to me as far as pop performers go, so seems like a solid replacement. Thoughts?

Going from Jay-Z and Daft Punk to Lady GaGa is...kind of a huge downgrade.

I don't think she has the discography of classics to really do festivals.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gaga is a better singer (see her super bowl half-time live show).

Beyoncé is a better dancer (she her super bowl half-time live show).

And that's that on that.

IFsbMMm.gif

amaretto

Gaga is a better singer (see her super bowl half-time live show).

Beyoncé is a better dancer (she her super bowl half-time live show).

And that's that on that.

IFsbMMm.gif

Gaga obnoxiously yelling at the top of her range doesn't make her a better singer than Beyonce. And there are a million examples of Beyonce pretty much being the best technical singer out of any mainstream act.

Gaga obnoxiously yelling at the top of her range doesn't make her a better singer than Beyonce. And there are a million examples of Beyonce pretty much being the best technical singer out of any mainstream act.

Don't listen him. He thinks Gaga is the second coming of Whitney. Sis is off her meds, tbh.

Madness

Week 1 sales:

Lemonade - 485,000 (1,554,000 lifetime)

Joanne - 170,000

Queen of Pop.....suuuure.

Lady Gaga, the true queen of pop circa 2008-2011. It is crazy how much they push her and how powerful her managers and PR people are. They buy her golden globes, random Oscar performances, Super Bowl halftime show, Super Bowl opening anthem the year before etc. It is like they cannot accept she is not as relevant anymore.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lady Gaga, the true queen of pop circa 2008-2011. It is crazy how much they push her and how powerful her managers and PR people are. They buy her golden globes, random Oscar performances, Super Bowl halftime show, Super Bowl opening anthem the year before etc. It is like they cannot accept she is not as relevant anymore.

I refuse to believe anyone thinks something this delusional.

Beyoncé is a better singer, dancer, entertainer in general, and has a better discography. Prayers to all those who bought tickets previously 😭

Galang

Banned
The downgrade. For all the amazing visuals Lady Gaga has delivered, her music is surprisingly still just as basic as her peers. I'd figure a darker project would be a no-brainer by now, but I guess she's just a fake

Sai-kun

Banned
Fucking lit. That will be great. I haven't seen her live since The Fame Monster era when she performed at Lolla, and it was amazing.

The downgrade. For all the amazing visuals Lady Gaga has delivered, her music is surprisingly still just as basic as her peers. I'd figure a darker project would be a no-brainer by now, but I guess she's just a fake
Isn't she the only pop star that actually sings songs against discrimination, pro-LGBT, Pro-BLM, etc.? A fair number of her songs are pretty political charge. Meanwhile the other artists created an album over getting cheated on, having a baby, etc. Gaga seems to try and create different and less vapid Pop music.

Beeks

Isn't she the only pop star that actually sings songs against discrimination, pro-LGBT, Pro-BLM, etc.? A fair number of her songs are pretty political charge. Meanwhile the other artists created an album over getting cheated on, having a baby, etc. Gaga seems to try and create different and less vapid Pop music.

Did you listen to Lemonade? Sure, there's a lot of her getting cheated on, but that entire album is about being a black woman in America.

Isn't she the only pop star that actually sings songs against discrimination, pro-LGBT, Pro-BLM, etc.?

Not even close... especially not compared to Beyoncé with her recent album Lemonade.

Gaga hasn't done the whole "I have something to say" thing since Born This Way in 2011, ARTPOP and Joanne were both vapid in their own ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom